R-Type Final 2

TheShend

Weird!

I'm playing R-Type Tactics at the moment and enjoying the strange atmosphere of it all so I'm in the mood for a new proper R-Type. 

I know R-Type Final doesn't have a great reputation but it was at least full of loads of oddball ship variants and secrets. If they keep all the good stuff but the level design is closer to 1+2 / Delta quality this could be something special. 

Really excited about this. Kazuma Kujo had said something to the effect that he was "weighing up the options" with the series in a recent interview, in light of the renewed viability of producing STGs, but I'd honestly shrugged that off as small-talk. Apart from how beautiful and thrilling it all looks (I'm particularly intrigued by the impact of the expanded playfield on the kinds of level design they could do), what strikes me most about this project is how authentically R-Type Final it feels. Not only has it stuck to its aesthetic guns in the intervening years without anything feeling reheated or uninspired at this point, the whole tone of the project and the way they've chosen to present it is strongly redolent of Final's last-ditch, against-all-odds mission to give the fans one more game. Final 2 is emerging under completely different conditions doggedly pursuing the same intentions. It's a completely unexpected near-miracle that it exists at all, and somehow with its heart still in the right place - that everything about it seems so spot-on to boot is unbelievable.

Just look at these quotes from the official website:

https://rtypefinal2.com/

In this latest version of R-TYPE game, all the player fighters that appeared in R-TYPE Final, expressions of attacks, operability and the exhilarating feeling of the gameplay will be intensified.

This game is thoroughly focused on expressions of how enemies are destroyed.

The Stage Dominated by Decaying Organism.

As new enemies are generated from carcasses of the enemies, the more the player plays the game, the stronger enemies he or she gets.
Not only the player's fighter, but also the stages will evolve. That's R-TYPE FINAL2.

The level of difficulty is automatically adjusted according to the player's ability.

Exquisite gameplays will be met with higher difficulty levels which offer explosive increase of the scores.

The gameplay in which players make full use of Wave Cannon and Force to defeat formidable enemies remains alive.

The game will be carefully created to bring about maneuvering and game development that are unique qualities of side scrolling shooter games.

The Best R-TYPE We Can Make Now!

Even the bullshit promotional copy is inspiring, and bubbling with the same passion for the project that made the first game such an incredible gravestone for the series.

Its not developed by IREM...

It seems to be directed by Kazuma Kujo, who was the designer and producer of Delta and Final and the founder  of Granzella, so it's in pretty safe hands, hopefully. I don't know much about the overall make-up of Granzella but I think some more of them are ex-Irem. 

13 minutes ago, Zero9X said:

A re-release of final would be nice too. 

No it wouldn't, It's one of the worst shmups released in that generation. Terrible pacing, Awful music, Rubbish design ethos. Forgettable stage design.

Boggles the mind how it's suddenly become something to be praised. It was total tripe in 2004.

14 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Really excited about this. Kazuma Kujo had said something to the effect that he was "weighing up the options" with the series in a recent interview, in light of the renewed viability of producing STGs, but I'd honestly shrugged that off as small-talk. Apart from how beautiful and thrilling it all looks (I'm particularly intrigued by the impact of the expanded playfield on the kinds of level design they could do), what strikes me most about this project is how authentically R-Type Final it feels. Not only has it stuck to its aesthetic guns in the intervening years without anything feeling reheated or uninspired at this point, the whole tone of the project and the way they've chosen to present it is strongly redolent of Final's last-ditch, against-all-odds mission to give the fans one more game. Final 2 is emerging under completely different conditions doggedly pursuing the same intentions. It's a completely unexpected near-miracle that it exists at all, and somehow with its heart still in the right place - that everything about it seems so spot-on to boot is unbelievable.

This post warmed my heart... thanks man :hat:

6 hours ago, Revival said:

No it wouldn't, It's one of the worst shmups released in that generation. Terrible pacing, Awful music, Rubbish design ethos. Forgettable stage design.

Boggles the mind how it's suddenly become something to be praised. It was total tripe in 2004.

U OK hun? X PM me babe X

8 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

It seems to be directed by Kazuma Kujo, who was the designer and producer of Delta and Final and the founder Granzella, so it's in pretty safe hands, hopefully. I don't know much about the overall make-up of Granzella but I think some more of them are ex-Irem. 

But Final is seen as poor (even though Delta was a stunner)?

Final definitely has a mixed rep - I'm not speaking for anyone else in my excitement. I love Final for many reasons, and I think a lot of other R-Type fans do, but where it's panned, it's usually panned for the things I like most about it. It's always discussed in terms of what it doesn't do or ought to do rather than in terms of its own ambitions, I think. It's a slow, sombre game that foregrounds the R-Type 'world' for its own sake, offering primarily the experience of exploring and inhabiting it as it meditates upon its own death, the level designs facilitating more reflection and introspection than the usual thrills and spills of score-chasing*.

It's an at once jubilant and mournful celebration of its own history that puts a lot of energy into world-building, pulling back and revealing more of the R-Type 'universe' and producing new context and meaning for a lot of what's present in the earlier games. Enjoying the game probably requires a certain amount of investment in these things, which is probably why it seemed like such a curveball and a let-down to players just wanting to shoot a fucking laser (myself included, at first). 

*Don't get me wrong - on R-Typer difficulty it's as exciting and ruthlessly challenging as anything else in the series! I don't regard most of the stages as being poorly designed or uninteresting to play just for a quick bash, for the most part, but I don't want to launch into some big defence of the game... 

I like R-Type but I never really got into Final - I think I was doing that last-gen mop-up where you buy stacks of PS2 games for barely any money, and I never gave Final enough time. :( Even so, I kind of want to get this if only to support more shooters and more R-Type! :P 

1 hour ago, RJ Badman said:

:O

I love the r type aesthetic, music etc but can never get into shooters, however I love a bit of TBS. Gonna have to check that out.

It's worth a look, but with the massive caveat that it's a game to play for all its weird ideas, it doesn't hold together that well.

An interview with Kazuma Kujo about Final2, summarised for English readers by GSK here.

Some highlights:

Final2's two objectives: deliver "R-Type beyond R-type", an experience that builds on & eclipses that of the original game, something the sequels never quite achieved, and evolve the side-scrolling STG format in ways that weren't possible via the hardware & design hegemony of '03

on stage design, their thinking is that R-Type is defined by the individuality of each stage rather than general flow from start to finish, so their focus is on designing distinct & varied stages w more replay value than ever before, where each stage feels different from the last

the game systems are following on from Delta & Final, and they plan to add enough user-controlled settings to allow players of all skill levels to tune the game to their desired difficulty level

they don't intend to offer a zillion ships a la Final; rather, they're thinking of ways to let players stick with their preferred ship over a longer course of time rather than compelling people to jump from ship to ship

Kujo also talks about wanting to add new stages over time, including extremely tough ones, and how it'd be cool to keep a log of players who manage to clear these stages, listed by clear order

on story, the narrative elements can't interfere with the shooting but there will be route branching, so Kudo wants to offer up a few different outcomes with regards to plot points like Bydo assimilation, and there'll probably be a fairly dark ending or two, as is his style

It all sounds more promising the more I hear, and I particularly like their understanding of the series' approach to stage design and how they plan to build upon it, etc. There's a strong sense of the persistence of attitudes and design philosophies that were there on day one (even if Kujo wasn't).

R-Type Final was great, it was something I never thought would be possible – an art-house shoot ‘em up, with this weird, elegiac atmosphere. Hopefully they’ll re-release it ahead of RTF2, it would be a real shame for a unique, beautiful game like that to be stuck in the PS2 era.

I love the way it has a certain "chunky" feel about the ships inertia bought about by animation and movement speed and the way it portrays the weakness of your ship without its force.

I don't think any shmup has ever matched that feeling.

Plus i think its Gigantic Battleship stage was the first of its type so can't wait to see what they do with that(those) stages.

2 minutes ago, K said:

R-Type Final was great, it was something I never thought would be possible – an art-house shoot ‘em up, with this weird, elegiac atmosphere. Hopefully they’ll re-release it ahead of RTF2, it would be a real shame for a unique, beautiful game like that to be stuck in the PS2 era.

Agree. I've been enjoying Salamander on the PS4 of late. Some R-Types would be great to go along with this. As would Gradius V!! 

• 1 month later...

The developer Granzella inc has revealed today the crowdfunding info for R-Type Final 2. Due to the feedback they've received the game will be available on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Steam!

https://www.granzellagames.com/gz_info/20190530.html

Campaign Period

The campaign will launch at the same time aroud the world. The estimated start times for reach region are as follows:

Japan Standard Time (JST)   At Midnight on Tuesday June 4, 2019
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)   At 3 P. M. on Monday June 3, 2019
Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)   At 11 A. M. on Monday June 3, 2019
Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)   At 8 A. M. on Monday June 3, 2019

The campaign will last for about a week. We will announce the end date on the first day of this campaign.

That works out as 2 PM UK time on Monday June 3rd.

A week seems a bit short for a crowdfuning campaign no?