R-Type Final 2

TheShend

I wrote up my thoughts on the retail version here — it’s kind of weird what I appear to be locked out of for not backing the kickstarter, but oh well… maybe that’ll be later DLC. I can totally see this being quite a divisive game here, both for what it manages to do, and for some of the things it refuses to do — like making ship switching easy or quick.

My biggest complaint about the original RTF was having to play through that dull, dull, dull (and way too long) first level every time. I would boot the game, play one credit, and then be put off playing it again immediately because of that level. This one keeps the levels nice and short, so no problem there.

Backgrounds are a bit dark and dull a lot of the time. I don't know if it's a symptom of our modern HD displays? Perhaps brighter colourful backdrops would make bullet-spotting really tough if everything was highly detailed? Don't know.

I've got 21 ships unlocked so far. Grinding out that elusive green currency is going to be painful. STAYER is my fave ship so far, mainly for the fantastically-named "Balmung" missile.

It has that typical R-Type problem: it gives you three lives, but it might as well only give you one, because the chances of recovery after losing your weaponry are slim.

All in all though, I'm enjoying it! Furthest I've been is the Stage 6 boss, cos I'm only allowing myself one credit.

I notice in the achievement descriptions, there will be (presumably unlockable) "R-Typer 2" and "R-Typer 3" difficulties. Sounds brutal.

2 hours ago, peeveen said:

This one keeps the levels nice and short, so no problem there.

If the level is good i don't mind it being meaty and offering some substance. The later half of the game has some of the best levels but some of them are over a bit too soon imo. While the size of the stages makes it easier to memorise them right now, it might negatively impact my long term engagement. (Although the promise of two more years of support with at least six additional stages does alleviate that worry a bit). 

Stage editor is a godsend btw. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the ships were always in the pipeline, and the stages were one of the 'stretch goals' from the Kickstarter campaign. Not sure what the RTF3 update will involve (maybe it's just how the already-planned stuff is being rebranded), but I love the title. Irem were always all about the bants.

57 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Yeah, the ships were always in the pipeline, and the stages were one of the 'stretch goals' from the Kickstarter campaign. Not sure what the RTF3 update will involve (maybe it's just how the already-planned stuff is being rebranded), but I love the title. Irem were always all about the bants.

Aren't you thinking of Radiohead? badoom-tish

• 4 weeks later...

So dlc set 3 dropped earlier this week. Included are remixes of R-Type Final stage 2, R-Type II stage 4 and the first stage of the original. Distorted Ecosystem from Final was/is one of my all time favourite R-Type stages. Five different and unique lay outs all oozing atmosphere meant it never really got boring. You can now change the temperature and the way the rest of the stage plays by shooting crystals along the way. Think i prefer the original for now (lighting, the way you change the stage lay out) but an absolute joy to see it again and the changes to the level lay out and enemy placement make it a fun challenge. This will get slotted in most of my course edited maps. 

Then stage 4 from R-Type II drops and maybe it's because i didn't expect much from one of my most hated levels in the R-Type universe but this remastered version turns out be a bit of banger. Footage (not mine btw) is on practice because the boss is a bastard. Close your eyes if you don't want to get spoiled but do want to hear the awesome soundtrack: 

Oh yeah. Got abused by the boss until i just gave up but with a huge smile on my face. Challenging, frustrating and so much fun to keep trying. More of this please Granzella. 

Yeah, the remake of II's stage 4 is fantastic, and Rios is even more challenging here, with the addition of some very threatening wall movements. It's one of the stages that demonstrates the R-Type approach to level design at its strongest -  labyrinthine and tense, gradually ramping up the pressure with a mixture of environmental hazards, anxiety-inducing bottlenecks and ruthless enemy sniping, etc.

(I just wish they hadn't gone with so many stage 1s for the other remakes, since while they're all aesthetically worthwhile, they're almost never among the most interesting or involved ones from a gameplay perspective.)

On 11/07/2021 at 13:14, ImmaculateClump said:

Here are 3 reviews from the big hitters in the shmup youtube community, if you're interested.

Cheers! 

21 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

(I just wish they hadn't gone with so many stage 1s for the other remakes, since while they're all aesthetically worthwhile, they're almost never among the most interesting or involved ones from a gameplay perspective.)

Can't disagree there but, given the roadmap and the pledge to keep supporting and developing the game well into 2022, i have some confidence we'll see a lot more stages from the previous games being re-made. Hopefully with plenty of new, original ones as well. It's great to see that (most of) the DLC stages show minor or significant improvements in graphical fidelity, art and level design. Granzella looks to have figured a few things out which bodes well for the upcoming content.