R-Type Final 2

TheShend

The level editor allows you to assemble your own route through the game by arranging the levels (after you cleared them once). You can choose six stages and a final stage. 

Including the dlc there’s now enough content for (nearly) three games. You can mix the original stages with the dlc. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

For anyone interested this is available to download on PS+ Premium! If you haven't yet played it and you enjoy shooters you should! It's brilliant :)

• 1 month later...

R-Type Final 2 Homage Stage DLC Set 7 Trailer:

Stage Pass Volume 3 and DLC Set 7 are available now!

DLC Set 7 includes 2 Homage stages:

Stage Z1.0 – On a Shining Green Planet

Stage Z2.0 – Deep Sea Ruins

More difficulty settings

Mr. Heli and In The Hunt homage stages!!!

b3dd8771b430afcc924a75f78e481bb5.gif

As of today there's also a big update for R-Type Final pt. 2, called R-Type Final pt. 2.5 :

R-Type Final 2.5 Update Summary:

Stage 5.1 & Stage R1.0

More ships available + 1 Kickstarter Backer exclusive

More difficulty settings

More customization with pilot & war record

Customize R’s Museum background

More color options for player ships (excluding Bydo)

New gallery images added + requirements

Album storage doubled

Additional customization for decals

Bonus resources and R-points granted dependent on pilot’s costume

R-Type Final 2.5 title screen added

and more!

Is this on PS4? The pack's been out for a while on PC. It's lovely to have Mr. Heli and the Granvia in there (both of which are more powerful than you might expect), but the redesign of the boss for stage Z2.0 (the one based on In the Hunt) is tragic. No doubt it would have taken tremendous effort to recreate the Janus-faced statue faithfully, given the amount of detail and animation it had, but this boss bears almost no resemblance to it at all. Maybe they were pre-empting further censorship, since the original battle gets fairly gruesome?

By the way, be sure to check out the pilot costumes after installing the update - they now affect the amounts of the crafting materials and R-points you accrue by completing stages, so if you're low on the green one (as I always am) you can choose a suit and helmet that boost the percentage of that material you'll get.

Hehe, I mean the update! I assumed PS4 updates came out long before the PC ones, but perhaps not this time...

(I have both, but haven't played my PS4 'backer copy' at all, because I know I'd get sucked into unlocking everything again, which sounds like hell.)

28 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

... but the redesign of the boss for stage Z2.0 (the one based on In the Hunt) is tragic. No doubt it would have taken tremendous effort to recreate the Janus-faced statue faithfully, given the amount of detail and animation it had, but this boss bears almost no resemblance to it at all. Maybe they were pre-empting further censorship, since the original battle gets fairly gruesome?

Yeah, I think they'd lose the 7 and up rating.

A big fan of R-Type since it's arcade days I keep dipping in and out of this thread, it's great (IMO) to see such a classic being reinvented and positively chatted about :)

I've been sat on the fence for a while as the reviews were good but not great but that said I'm sure my love for the game will elevate it for a bit for me if that makes sense and I can't help but think it'll look amazing on an OLED! If I take the plunge and go all in buying the Digital Deluxe version (not cheap, but probably still less than I paid for the two PCE cards all those years ago!) which comes with a season pass that gives me DLC packs 1, 2 and 3, will that give me all current and future content or am I better just getting the base game and a select pack or two and if so are there any recommendations on which to go for / avoid? 

The DLC packs have tended to contain better stages than those of the main course, for better or worse. Unfortunately, the weaker ones (the two Geirrod stages in my opinion) tend to make up one half of a pack, so there's no avoiding them if you want all of the good stuff.

The highlights for me have been DLC packs 4 (for the Image Fight and R-Type 2 stages), 5 (Delta), 3 (1, 2, Final) and 7 (Mr. Heli, 1). It's probably a huge indictment of the game that most of its straightforwardly 'fun' stages are from much older entries, but I've always enjoyed Final's funeral-procession pacing... 😛

It could be worth waiting for a fully collected/'definitive' version, but I don't think that's necessarily what R-Type Final 3 will be, and I don't think a physical collection has been announced. Might be worth just grabbing everything you fancy in the next sale!

Edit: there are Stage Passes for DLCs 1-3, 4-6 and 7 to presumably 9, so it could be worth waiting for sales on those too.

It's pretty great - I assume Edge were just undervaluing a 2D game at the time. In terms of performance it's arguably better than the PCB, since it runs at a solid 60fps most of the time (although I prefer when ports keep the original slowdown in most cases). The only really negative thing is that the new arrange soundtrack is encoded at a low bitrate, so it sounds a bit fuzzy/crackly at times.

It's certainly a damn sight better than the Saturn port, which fails to boot up on most models. :(

6 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

It's pretty great - I assume Edge were just undervaluing a 2D game at the time.

One to put together with Gunstar Heroes and SF III then. EDGE could certainly be pretentious in its early days. I remember how they used to see themselves as the gaming bible. Good times.

Yeah, I seem to recall there being a real attitude of "we're so over this now" in regards to 2D games in the late 90s, not specifically in EDGE but just in general. I think it sadly stopped me purchasing many a 2D game I thought looked cool back then because I was worried people would scoff at my bumpkin taste in games, incredibly. 

On 04/09/2022 at 12:18, Klatrymadon said:

The DLC packs have tended to contain better stages than those of the main course, for better or worse. Unfortunately, the weaker ones (the two Geirrod stages in my opinion) tend to make up one half of a pack, so there's no avoiding them if you want all of the good stuff.

The highlights for me have been DLC packs 4 (for the Image Fight and R-Type 2 stages), 5 (Delta), 3 (1, 2, Final) and 7 (Mr. Heli, 1). It's probably a huge indictment of the game that most of its straightforwardly 'fun' stages are from much older entries, but I've always enjoyed Final's funeral-procession pacing... 😛

It could be worth waiting for a fully collected/'definitive' version, but I don't think that's necessarily what R-Type Final 3 will be, and I don't think a physical collection has been announced. Might be worth just grabbing everything you fancy in the next sale!

Edit: there are Stage Passes for DLCs 1-3, 4-6 and 7 to presumably 9, so it could be worth waiting for sales on those too.

Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts on the extra content (oh I had no idea that 3 was going to be a thing!) :).

I did also find this guide to 2 and the amount of info on it has kind of fried my mind somewhat:

https://rtype.fandom.com/wiki/R-Type_Final_2#Description 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, sid said:

This game is so fucking hard

got all the dlc and absolutely in love with it but it’s kicking my ass 😟

any tips 

Probably just a case of keeping on playing and learning the attack patterns!

FWIW I'm useless at it too but enjoy the challenge....

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 23:33, sid said:

This game is so fucking hard

got all the dlc and absolutely in love with it but it’s kicking my ass 😟

any tips 

I’ve found that as you grind ships out, having a good understanding of what ship works well in what stage does wonders. I’m really happy with how this game turned out with all the DLC, and knowing that Tactics is coming too is the icing on the cake

4 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

And PlayStation 5 only to boot. But at least it's coming :)

Well that's removed temptation thankfully as I don't have a PS5 and  have enough to play already.... :)