Yesterzine - The literal magazine show

I guess it's a good time to explain what's coming up.

Christmas Day there's a short thing on Psycho Santa on the Amiga, something of a lost Bullfrog game, plus a good escape from family for 10 minutes.

New Years Day there's a fairly cynical best of as much to give me a portfolio vid as anything else.

After that there's my attempt to be Kim Justice with a 4 part doc on possibly the biggest developer most people haven't heard of, despite them originating 3 of the biggest franchises in all of gaming.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I *think* that might be ripped directly from Test Drive 3.

EDIT : also Kiro, DSI part 3 is up now and takes in 3 driving games, 2 of which I'd hazard a guess you may have played.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Even though my name is not Nathan, I am unreasonably disappointed that your name is not Dudley.

me too!

... my name is not Droo, Drew or Andrew either mind you... 

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So it turns out I'm not perfect.  Over the first year of Yesterzine I've apparently made a few minor bloopers and one absolute whopper.

So with series 3 on the horizon, it's time to set right some wrongs.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching the very first video @Dudley. Enjoyed it and will continue watching. I loved my Amiga 500 and the Monkey island game. I remember the 11 disc's and copy protection being a pain in the arse. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks man, if you’re an Amiga fan you’ll like the rise of the robots special and episode 7 is an Amiga Power issue and features Lorfarius of this parish. The one on the 27th to start series 3 is another “The One” too :)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's series 3!

In the series 3 premiere we look at EMAP's famous The One Amiga again except this time... it's not.  This issue is published by Maverick Magazines, the Vampire publisher and the cover feature charts the rapid decline of a once proud magazine.

But while we wait for that, we look at the Amiga's most unsubtle attempt to "do" Doom and and an extreme sports sim whose major problem is everything outside the extreme sportsing.

• Upvote 3

I contacted Mort (of Zzap64.co.uk scanning fame) a few years ago because I was convinced there are issues of Maverick's One Amiga that haven't been scanned and wondered if he knew anything about it. I recall finding an issue of the mag that contained only 16 pages in a supermarket. I didn't buy it at the time and don't recall anything about its content nowadays. However, I did write a web article of the mag in 1997/98 where I was convinced it was on shelves in July 1996 and the 16 page mag had been sold with 1 disk for £3.99. The web article can be found at http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/oneamiga4.html

• Upvote 1

I have Mort's DVD and we have at least covers for 3 more than we have scanned.  That one would imply the existence of at least another 3.

It'd be nice to find the missing ones but no fucker is paying £3000 to find out if that guy is lying.

12 hours ago, amc said:

I have to say Dudley, I really enjoy your vids. Perfect for chilling whilst playing a more relaxed game.

Thanks man!

I've been doing this with a lot of other people's stuff while playing 2 point hospital a lot recently.

Works great with the likes of @super_quincy.  Worked a lot less well with Oxbox's streams of 2 point hospital...

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I have Mort's DVD and we have at least covers for 3 more than we have scanned.  That one would imply the existence of at least another 3.

It'd be nice to find the missing ones but no fucker is paying £3000 to find out if that guy is lying.

Thanks man!

I've been doing this with a lot of other people's stuff while playing 2 point hospital a lot recently.

Works great with the likes of @super_quincy.  Worked a lot less well with Oxbox's streams of 2 point hospital...

Thanks @Dudley !

• Upvote 1

Go was not a magazine you could buy but was still very popular. As the only really successful handheld only magazine it was there as the portable gaming device came of age and there were 4 formats covered in this issue.

Our reviews though come from the original Nintendo Game Boy. With a licenced platformer whose pedigree is incredibly promising and an arcade classic that somehow contrived to be the gaming hell...

Also, did you know the Nintendo Game Boy only exists because of an American board game manufacturer? You will.

This is the episode featuring pictures of @MagicalDrop 's rather lovely Game and Watch collection.

• Upvote 3

It's 1991 and Mean Machines is a console mag that covers both kinds, Sega and Nintendo. This month though it's all Master System. The Gaming heaven is a legendary shooter, the gaming hell a game from a famous series that bears absolutely no resemblance to any of the others.

And a double cover feature special, how do you get American games when your system died on its arse in America and what was the worst money making scam of the age?

Featuring forum superstar @super_quincy 's shoot em up expertise.

• Upvote 2

The Amstrad CPC is often the forgotten member of the 80s 8-bit collective but it gave the world a lot, including Future Publishing.

In 1988 we welcomed one of the world's standout RPG series and also 2 gaming hells with surprisingly star studded origins. Meanwhile 2 kids were launching a publishing dynasty that still exists today.

• Upvote 3

Edge covered the exciting new world of video games just as the 32-bit era opened up possibilities like never before. Our gaming heaven and hell use CD's format and the new machine's power in very different ways with very different degrees of success.

Meanwhile video games were becoming big business and with it came the marketing spends to match. Budgets had increased 3 fold in as many years but where was it all going? And with the Saturn and Playstation a year away, what did we know about the rapidly approaching mega machines?

• Upvote 4
19 hours ago, Dudley said:

Edge covered the exciting new world of video games just as the 32-bit era opened up possibilities like never before. Our gaming heaven and hell use CD's format and the new machine's power in very different ways with very different degrees of success.

Meanwhile video games were becoming big business and with it came the marketing spends to match. Budgets had increased 3 fold in as many years but where was it all going? And with the Saturn and Playstation a year away, what did we know about the rapidly approaching mega machines?

Still enjoying these! Seems weird to think edge was around that long ago. I think I was still reading NMS... now there's an idea for an episode?! 

• Upvote 1

Yeah we're right at the beginning of Edge of course but that's how old it is.  PC Gamer, of which of course we did issue 1 is roughly the same age,if you take OPSM back to the original incarnation that's only a year newer.  RG is actually the newest of the 4 surviving Future titles and that's 17.

NMS might happen, I've done Total, I've done Mean Machines and the Sega sibling.  I mentioned NMS briefly in the MM issue actually.  I'm looking for a Nintendo episode for season 4 so I might browse some issues.

As a sneak peak, Amiga Power is back, to cover a reference I make next week and Sega Power is happening.

Next week actually is pretty amazing. It's Amiga Power's last issue, the viking funeral issue which had an overarching plot of the Amiga Power staff being murdered by the 4 cyclists of the apocalypse, the only lesser deities committed to a program of rigorous consumer testing, for their crimes against the Amiga.  It's amazing because we fully acted out several scenes in the issue, including the entire infamous Kick Off 96 review where Stuart Campbell is put on trial.  There are 8 guest voices.

It was a really stupid project and it's come out surprisingly well.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah we're right at the beginning of Edge of course but that's how old it is.  PC Gamer, of which of course we did issue 1 is roughly the same age,if you take OPSM back to the original incarnation that's only a year newer.  RG is actually the newest of the 4 surviving Future titles and that's 17.

NMS might happen, I've done Total, I've done Mean Machines and the Sega sibling.  I mentioned NMS briefly in the MM issue actually.  I'm looking for a Nintendo episode for season 4 so I might browse some issues.

As a sneak peak, Amiga Power is back, to cover a reference I make next week and Sega Power is happening.

Next week actually is pretty amazing. It's Amiga Power's last issue, the viking funeral issue which had an overarching plot of the Amiga Power staff being murdered by the 4 cyclists of the apocalypse, the only lesser deities committed to a program of rigorous consumer testing, for their crimes against the Amiga.  It's amazing because we fully acted out several scenes in the issue, including the entire infamous Kick Off 96 review where Stuart Campbell is put on trial.  There are 8 guest voices.

It was a really stupid project and it's come out surprisingly well.

The one issue of NMS that I can sort of remember was the Mortal Kombat 2 review issue. Got me totally hyped - and for once the hype was justified (possibly). 

I had some how never even heard of Kick Off 96. It looks awful! (Insert 'your mum' joke here). 

• Upvote 1

As a minor spoiler - The retail release of KO96 I have does not appear to have 1 bug Campbell claims it does.  It is still absolutely awful.

Although the main fun of that section is the entire trial being fully voiced, which is possibly the dumbest thing I've coordinated in my life.

• Upvote 1

Season finale time!

Amiga Power had a last issue, and it knew it. So it's a magazine with a plot, as the staff are hunted down by the 4 cyclists of the apocalypse, the only lesser deities committed to a program of rigorous consumer testing in order to pay for their crimes against the Amiga.

Yesterzine was there, and with the help of no less than 8 guest voices we take you live to the trials of Stuart Campbell and Jonathan Davies to discover if AP really were guilty of machineicide.

Somewhere in the middle of this there's some games, Alien Breed 3D2 is the most ambitious attempt to "do" Doom the Amiga got before it got Doom and Kick Off 96 is the last word in the Amiga's 2nd best known football game series. But do either of them succeed?

• Upvote 2

Yeah I saw that AA score and did wonder, by that point AA was in the state where it was entirely freelance and not even proofread by Europress so it's very possible.  AF even mentioned in their ad at the start of AP they gave KO 9%, although they did that before the AP readers saw AP's review so poor placement there.

As for the bug, it's possible, it's also possible I guess they had the same unfinished copy and Stu was lying about the box. Interestingly AF mention the 3D view AP claimed didn't exist.  I'll admit I didn't go investigating, I'd already played quite enough of it.

• Upvote 1