rllmuk
Dudley

Yesterzine - The literal magazine show

A new Spin-Off appears.

Todayzine will show you each of the surprisingly high number of paper magazines on gaming you can still buy in the UK.  In episode 1 we cover off the ones everyone knows with the 4 titles still published by giant megacorp Future.

Features @strider of this parish giving us his thoughts on paper magazines and his personal favourites from the golden age.

• Upvote 4

Still great content, Dudley. 

Keep up the good work. 

• Upvote 1

This series is going to be quite fun, I've got 2 more interviews back already.

Love this show - will you ever be looking at Zero magazine?

One of my all-time favourites, particularly in during my transition period from Speccy to Amiga. 

I've been collecting them recently and re-reading them, only got about 6 issues to go before I have a full set. 

One thing, though - it does fall seriously into the "dodgy review scores" trap that most late 80s/ early 90s UK mags did. 

A particular theme in Zero seems to be giving very high scores to games with mediocre reviews, some examples from the final issue (which I got hold of recently):

"I wouldn't recommend anyone shelling out 40 sovs for a game you'll finish in a day (at the most). It's hardly value for money, is it?" (Xenon 2, 80%)

"It will only really appeal to Countach-owning nostalgia freaks. Personally I'd get Legend of Darkmoon instead" (Dungeon Master, 85%). 

Another issue I was reading has a review of The Untouchables , which got 93% and the comment "If one game every six months were this good, then we should consider ourselves lucky, lucky, lucky". A bit strange seeing as the game was one of the more mediocre examples of Ocean's torrent of movie adaptions done as multi-stage platformer/shooting mini-games. I know a couple of these were good - Robocop on the Speccy and Batman on the Amiga - but Untouchables wasn't one of the better ones. Some shady shenanigans there I think. 

• Upvote 3

Ta :)

No reason I shouldn't do a Zero, if only to talk about their weird scoring system as much as anything else.  I joined magazines after it largely disappeared so the only time it's appeared was some Rod Lawton review... I think of Chase HQ that was mentioned in passing.

A check of my scan stash suggests I have 1-26, which I would guess is probably the Dennis era, how far did it go beyond that?

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Ta :)

No reason I shouldn't do a Zero, if only to talk about their weird scoring system as much as anything else.  I joined magazines after it largely disappeared so the only time it's appeared was some Rod Lawton review... I think of Chase HQ that was mentioned in passing.

A check of my scan stash suggests I have 1-26, which I would guess is probably the Dennis era, how far did it go beyond that?

It finished on issue 36 - although it's better to consider issue 32 as the last proper issue, because (as you will probably remember) it then re-launched and became shit (certainly from a design point of view - having re-read some of the final issues recently I don't think the content actually changed as much as I remember). 

I'm missing 9, 18, 19, 22 and 23 of the old-style issues, if you have any doubles you're wanting to get rid of ;) 

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

Mine are all digital I'm afraid. :)

Oh yes, I see you said "scan stash" now!

• Upvote 1

And so episode 2

There are 4 magazines still aimed at children, they range from the slightly cynical to the really very cynical.  But are any of them worth reading?  Please watch since I had to buy one of these in an actual store, which might be the creepiest thing I've done in some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37QE-5sd1A

EDIT : Thanks to a hilarious copyright claim for a sodding Fortnite trailer it won't embed.

And Episode 3

Indie mags have to fund themselves any way they can.  Of the 4 in this issue, one is sold in shops, one you can't buy at all, one takes subs via patreon and one is currently running a kickstarter.

Featuring interviews with both @ianinthefuture and Paul Murphy, the best of the independent magazines are put under the microscope.

• Upvote 5

I made Mike go walk a dog in a field to get in character :)

On 19/06/2020 at 17:26, Dudley said:

And Episode 3

Indie mags have to fund themselves any way they can.  Of the 4 in this issue, one is sold in shops, one you can't buy at all, one takes subs via patreon and one is currently running a kickstarter.

Featuring interviews with both @ianinthefuture and Paul Murphy, the best of the independent magazines are put under the microscope.

What sort of age range would you think the Switch Player magazine is suitable/aimed for? Thinking of making it my son's first videogame magazine - he's 8 and a confident reader - but I didn't want it to be overly dry or a bit sweary! 

As a not with a kid person I'm not sure I can 100% answer that question, my guess is it would be fine, unless it makes him want Saint's Row!

• Upvote 1

On 08/06/2020 at 10:43, Anne Summers said:

Love this show - will you ever be looking at Zero magazine?

One of my all-time favourites, particularly in during my transition period from Speccy to Amiga. 

I've been collecting them recently and re-reading them, only got about 6 issues to go before I have a full set. 

One thing, though - it does fall seriously into the "dodgy review scores" trap that most late 80s/ early 90s UK mags did. 

A particular theme in Zero seems to be giving very high scores to games with mediocre reviews, some examples from the final issue (which I got hold of recently):

"I wouldn't recommend anyone shelling out 40 sovs for a game you'll finish in a day (at the most). It's hardly value for money, is it?" (Xenon 2, 80%)

"It will only really appeal to Countach-owning nostalgia freaks. Personally I'd get Legend of Darkmoon instead" (Dungeon Master, 85%). 

Another issue I was reading has a review of The Untouchables , which got 93% and the comment "If one game every six months were this good, then we should consider ourselves lucky, lucky, lucky". A bit strange seeing as the game was one of the more mediocre examples of Ocean's torrent of movie adaptions done as multi-stage platformer/shooting mini-games. I know a couple of these were good - Robocop on the Speccy and Batman on the Amiga - but Untouchables wasn't one of the better ones. Some shady shenanigans there I think. 

I loved Zero back in the day and I’m sure I had a Zero Hero enamel badge; Was that a covermount or did I win it somehow? I actually work at Dennis now although it’s culturally very different.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I loved Zero back in the day and I’m sure I had a Zero Hero enamel badge; Was that a covermount or did I win it somehow? I actually work at Dennis now although it’s culturally very different.

I met someone from Dennis Publishing at a press event in Cannes a couple of years back  - he worked for a PC magazine (can't remember which one). I told him I had no idea they were still going and all I knew them for was Your Sinclair, and he said he'd never heard of it! Some of your colleagues need to brush up on their heritage knowledge. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I met someone from Dennis Publishing at a press event in Cannes a couple of years back  - he worked for a PC magazine (can't remember which one). I told him I had no idea they were still going and all I knew them for was Your Sinclair, and he said he'd never heard of it! Some of your colleagues need to brush up on their heritage knowledge. 

Shameful!

I think I need to conduct a history lesson via Slack now.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

PC Pro? Computer Active?

If it was Barry Collins from PC Pro he gets namechecked in episode 2 :)

Dennis is also one of the several that published CVG, as well as PC Zone.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Dudley said:

PC Pro? Computer Active?

If it was Barry Collins from PC Pro he gets namechecked in episode 2 :)

Dennis is also one of the several that published CVG, as well as PC Zone.

Hmm just had a quick Google and don't think that was him - but this was three or so years ago and my memory isn't the greatest. 

• Upvote 1

And season finale time.

In the final episode, 1 magazine that's been around forever, one that's just starting out.  Plus a round up of every other UK games print publication as of 2020.

Includes an interview with Andrew McMaster, editor of Pixel Bison.

• Upvote 1