Formula Fusion (KS Wipeout-alike), relaunched as 'Pacer'

Not sure this is even worth talking about now, but for any interested parties:

Formula Fusion

Spoiler

Dear patient, beautiful Kickstarter backers

Late? You’re not kidding!

As we’ve said many times in the past, we realize this has been a long time coming. We weren’t around at the start but we’ve certainly got stuck in to make sure as much of what you were promised is fulfilled.

Press Release 

In an hour or so you’ll see our press release, announcement trailer and Steam post telling the rest of the world what’s about to happen with the game you pledged money for. We’re talking to you just before this goes out publicly to emphasize how important you are to us. Without your backing none of this would have happened! We’re about to deliver you a game bigger in scope, quality and content than was promised to you back in 2015.

Pacer

First off, we’re changing the name of the game from "Formula Fusion" to “Pacer". Based on the same game you’ve already seen but better in every way…and there’s more of it! Many reasons for changing the name but principally it was to give us a clean break from what went on in the past. When we say "clean break” we’re still using all the amazing Designers Republic graphics from Formula Fusion plus a few more you haven’t seen yet. 

To be clear, everyone who paid and received the Steam version of the game will get a free upgrade to Pacer. Everyone who pledged for a digital copy of the game on PS or XB platforms will get Pacer. We’re about to remove the Purchase option from the Steam store while retaining the Store and Community Hub. In the meantime existing owners will still be able to play the game.

With Pacer you’ll get the same original 8 tracks but polished and reworked to the same level as our 6 new tracks. A total of 14 tracks in Day/Night, Forward/Reverse and even Mirrored options. We have a new physics system, AI and Campaign mode.  More customization, more skins, more weapons, new Modification cards plus new Single and Multiplayer modes. A new multiplayer system with Spectator Mode, Tournament Mode, Ranked Races with ELO scoring for a true global Leaderboard as well as regular Time Trial Leaderboards. Languages TBA. See the News post on Steam… and, oh, did we mention an 8 track OST from Cold Storage?!

Tl;dr: Rebranding and relaunching this as 'Pacer' (terrible name) with (according to PR) better physics and AI and a lot more tracks, plus Cold Storage tunes. 

My gripes with the original release were many: terribly optimised (it looks like a PS3 game, but getting 60fps on my then GTX 970-based PC was a stern challenge), boring tracks, OK physics and awful AI. 

The biggest letdown were the tracks. They had decades of experience to draw on, yet produced really bland and unmemorable courses. 

Ah well, I get Pacer for free so will report back. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I see this only came out on Xbox a couple of weeks or so ago. Anyone pick it up? I wondered if it had seen any improvements at all. Plus the fact it's only £26 at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised at the lack of buzz about this on here, maybe future racers are a product of their time and irrelevant now? Was PACER just too much of a shit name to connect with people?

Feel the nostalgia in this, though.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Surprised at the lack of buzz about this on here, maybe future racers are a product of their time and irrelevant now? Was PACER just too much of a shit name to connect with people?

Feel the nostalgia in this, though.

Woah. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

From my perspective, it's just not very good. As per my OP it's just generic stuff really, with mediocre track design. If it had launched alongside any WipEout game of the past, it'd have been roasted alive as an inferior knockoff. 

The contemporaries I've played from the last few years are WipEout OC VR, Redout, BallisticNG and Fast RMX. Each and every one is better than this to various degrees, and in its own way. 

That's such a shame, especially as they had the Designers Republic on board. I wonder why the planets didn't align this time around.

I really struggled with GRIP, the Rollcage remake. It just felt grim and dingy, where the original was bright and fun from the off, racing on the beach to Fatboy Slim with buildings collapsing everywhere and driving on the ceiling of tunnels. GRIP had none of that appeal or vibe. The races felt way too long as well.

Sigh. Any sign of an Extreme-G 3 remake?

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

That's such a shame, especially as they had the Designers Republic on board. I wonder why the planets didn't align this time around.

I really struggled with GRIP, the Rollcage remake. It just felt grim and dingy, where the original was bright and fun from the off, racing on the beach to Fatboy Slim with buildings collapsing everywhere and driving on the ceiling of tunnels. GRIP had none of that appeal or vibe. The races felt way too long as well.

Sigh. Any sign of an Extreme-G 3 remake?

Try BallisticNG, even if you have a toaster of a PC.

I'd never heard of BallisticNG, i didn't realise there was a futuristic racer that was like a lost Wipeout from 97. Bought it straight away. It's so refreshing to see those dry crisp blocky visuals again. It plays beautifully, i like trying the different crafts with their simple defined attributes and most of them are sleek and angular rather than the bulky monstrosities of other racers, something that bothers me more than it does others. The music is an okay attempt but not great really. It's interesting how actually many Wipeouts there have been for people pining for more.

While Wipeout was spectacular for me being 10 at the time it was never a game i truly loved. It was all about the visuals, vibe and music. It's slow gliding around corners was so distinctive but asks you to master it to fully appreciate it. You really have to concentrate, i remember playing Wipeout 64 and nearly having a panic attack a race was so close. F Zero was always more thrilling to me because of the number of crafts and the sense of speed. There's nothing like boosting past 20 crafts into 1st place, as you're ready to explode. The same risk reward dynamic here but not as satisfying, the recharge road is a pain to turn into and the track is up and down so there's less joy in reaching the highest speeds. 

I guess while this is pure Wipeout inspired, the others are more F Zero, but i wish some had the visual clarity of F Zero X. It's not just racing games, i find playing COD Zombies the environments are so detailed and dense It's more of a strain to differentiate enemies and background.

I prefer the early tracks of BallisticNG i think, they do get a bit messy later on, but never in a way that is that visually coherent. 

£5 on steam, never heard of it, very good but not ground breaking. Some adventure or platformers that come along make an impact and get everyone talking straight away, years before release, there just seems an acceptance these futuristic racers are all the same and aren't able to make dent. 

I only own a ps4 and an average laptop, looking for more now. 

Pretty much all of them have awful names though. I don't know which is worse, probably Fast RMX.