Watch Dogs Legion - Don’t let your kids play (see page 16)

I played the first one but not the second. This interests me because it is based in London but I'm not getting it on release will pick it up next year after all the DLC has been released and a complete edition.

• gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - 29 October 2020
7 hours ago, gospvg said:

I played the first one but not the second. This interests me because it is based in London but I'm not getting it on release will pick it up next year after all the DLC has been released and a complete edition.

In the meantime do what I'm doing and play the second now as catch up. It is cheap, thoroughly enjoyable and a ton better than the original.

Both the first and second games were great. 

2 was notably better than the first one. 

inhave a video somewhere of invading someone’s game and thinking this is a great feature for multiplayer. Effectively becoming an NPC. 

The fighting looks very wooden and as mentioned in the preview, the hacking looks like it's been ripped straight out of the first two games. That said, I was impressed at how a random recruitment spiralled into an elaborate rescue mission. If the game can make the world feel that alive, then I would be interested in giving this a go.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like turning permadeath on its the way to go if you want to get the most out of the systems in place

I'm genuinely excited for this and I kind of feel like I'm the only one. I'm sure there will be issues with repeating recruitment missions and dialogue and a bit of jank and so on but on a systemic level this sounds like probably the most interesting AAA game of the year. And even if that doesn't quite live up to expectations I'm totally down for just exploring a near-future version of London, and in particular checking out Brixton and Vauxhall where I've lived the past five or so years. When was the last time we got to explore modern London in a game - was it really PS2 and The Getaway?

11 minutes ago, Majora said:

Sounds like turning permadeath on its the way to go if you want to get the most out of the systems in place

I'm genuinely excited for this and I kind of feel like I'm the only one. I'm sure there will be issues with repeating recruitment missions and dialogue and a bit of jank and so on but on a systemic level this sounds like probably the most interesting AAA game of the year. And even if that doesn't quite live up to expectations I'm totally down for just exploring a near-future version of London, and in particular checking out Brixton and Vauxhall where I've lived the past five or so years. When was the last time we got to explore modern London in a game - was it really PS2 and The Getaway?

I'm intrigued as to whether the systems are going to mesh together into a non-repetitive whole. I think it'll be a really interesting game if they do, and a total misfire if they don't. Not much wriggle room on this one, methinks. Permadeath not being the only option makes me worried.

I really wanted to play this, right up until I saw some footage of it. It just looks so inauthentic - like it's been made by Canadians working off reference material, who've probably only been to London a handful of times, if that. I mean, I love the idea of a Watch Dogs-type game set in London, but seeing the city decorated with giant holographic crowns and with Union flags everywhere, it just looks like Wee Britain from Arrested Development.

I'm playing Forza Horizon 4 at the moment, and you can really tell that was made by UK-based developers. It's the little details, like having an event kick off in the car park of a nature reserve in the lake district, which really, really looks like a car park in the Lake District, down to the wood chip on the ground and the sodden logs separating the spaces. The appeal of this kind of game for me is seeing a representation of a place I know, and I'm not so interested in seeing North Americans' idea of what London might be like.

Plus, the actual game looks like the same old mix of indifferent driving, and creeping up behind people and pressing circle to take them down. The lack of any specific player character is a neat idea, but I'm not sure it'll be enough to lure me in.

It’s just going to be watchdog 1 + 2 in London with lots of generic characters, as opposed to just one isn’t it?

I wanted to like the first two games, but they were the definition of derivative and this just looks like the same with added reflections. 

Really hope I’m wrong, as it would nice to actually have a new game to play on the new consoles.

13 minutes ago, K said:

I really wanted to play this, right up until I saw some footage of it. It just looks so inauthentic - like it's been made by Canadians working off reference material, who've probably only been to London a handful of times, if that. I mean, I love the idea of a Watch Dogs-type game set in London, but seeing the city decorated with giant holographic crowns and with Union flags everywhere, it just looks like Wee Britain from Arrested Development.

I'm playing Forza Horizon 4 at the moment, and you can really tell that was made by UK-based developers. It's the little details, like having an event kick off in the car park of a nature reserve in the lake district, which really, really looks like a car park in the Lake District, down to the wood chip on the ground and the sodden logs separating the spaces. The appeal of this kind of game for me is seeing a representation of a place I know, and I'm not so interested in seeing North Americans' idea of what London might be like.

I don't necessarily disagree with this - from the footage it does look a bit like a tourist's idea of London. And I'm not a huge fan of the overall tone of the game. But I feel like I can't really afford to be picky. We're probably never going to get a GTA London and there's previous few other devs who have the resources and budget to give us an open-world modern London game so I feel like this is as good as it's probably going to get.

8 hours ago, Majora said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this - from the footage it does look a bit like a tourist's idea of London. And I'm not a huge fan of the overall tone of the game. But I feel like I can't really afford to be picky. We're probably never going to get a GTA London and there's previous few other devs who have the resources and budget to give us an open-world modern London game so I feel like this is as good as it's probably going to get.

I don't want to pour negativity on your enthusiasm, and I bet there'll be plenty of London to get your teeth into. To be honest, I find slightly off representations of London as interesting as accurate ones. Like the tube station in Modern Warfare 3 that was a weird hybrid of Westminster, with the brutalist walkways and suspended architecture, and a north American subway station, with the little newspaper kiosks, phone boxes, and (a dead giveaway, this) rubbish bins that you never get inside UK tube stations.

I think most of the preview footage has focused on the touristy City of Westminister bits. Hopefully going off the beaten track will reveal a more authentic London. I'm looking forward to tearing through the side streets of Lambeth.

I said in the games you couldn't stop playing thread, I recently fell in love with Watch Dogs 2. Sure it's trashy, but there's something so damned likeable about it all and the freedom it gives you to achieve your objectives is quite unique in my opinion. I have high hopes for this.

49 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

I just can't decide whether to buy on PS5 or XSX. I think they are both 4k 30 which really doesn't excite me. I'd rather 1440 or 1080p 60.

I was about to reply and say they had said it would be 4K60 on next gen but on checking the article they've basically said all their other new games will be 4K60 but Watch Dogs will not. Weird.

I don't think they ever did release the One X patch they said they would for Watch Dogs 2, although I may be confused with the Division. There was one they announced then quietly forgot about.

I had this game on my ignore list but I actually thought it looked good on the Eurogamer stream. Seems very similar to Watch Dogs 2 which I enjoyed and I think the sort-of-london setting is enough to sell it to me.

Just now, Alshie said:

I don't think they ever did release the One X patch they said they would for Watch Dogs 2, although I may be confused with the Division. There was one they announced then quietly forgot about.

WD2 never got an X patch, only the PS4Pro did. The Division did eventually get a resolution patch for X1X.

Yeah, WD2 only runs at 900p on One X. You’d think a patch for that would be a marketing open-goal with the sequel on its way.

The patched version of The Division looks better than The Division 2 (imo).

All the Watch Dogs games seem have the same ugly sparseness during their daytime sections, it’s like they’re missing all the hazy sunlight, distance fog and post-processing effects other open world games have. I remember people saying the second game looked better than the first and I’m not sure I agree, it had a more colourful setting but was quite ugly technically. At least the original looked great at night, in the rain (which I’m sure we’ll plenty of in Legion).

4 hours ago, K said:

Plus, the actual game looks like the same old mix of indifferent driving, and creeping up behind people and pressing circle to take them down. The lack of any specific player character is a neat idea, but I'm not sure it'll be enough to lure me in.

In their defence, it's supposed to be a dystopian future version of London where an oppressive patriotic regime have control, right?

I could totally believe that a UK fascist government would put flags and crowns everywhere.

Also benchmarks for this are out and a 3090 (the fastest, most expensive brand new card out there) can't run it at 4k60 with raytracing on:

It only just manages it with very intense DLSS. 

This is going to melt GPUs. Good old Ubisoft optimization strikes again.

22 minutes ago, Isaac said:

In their defence, it's supposed to be a dystopian future version of London where an oppressive patriotic regime have control, right?

I could totally believe that a UK fascist government would put flags and crowns everywhere.

Maybe. I would have thought a dystopian authoritarian government would be a bit more media-savvy and know its audience a bit better.

16 minutes ago, K said:

Maybe. I would have thought a dystopian authoritarian government would be a bit more media-savvy and know its audience a bit better.

Did you notice the one we've already got though?

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Did you notice the one we've already got though?

Yeah, but their branding is quite nice. No giant Burger King Crowns - understated, classy graphic design. Historically, actual fascist regimes are absolutely on point with regard to graphic design and aesthetics.

50 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah, but their branding is quite nice. No giant Burger King Crowns - understated, classy graphic design. Historically, actual fascist regimes are absolutely on point with regard to graphic design and aesthetics.

article-2182367-1453AD23000005DC-232_306x429.jpg.ece0ea3cb140a31b533ea574f6d155ba.jpg

6 hours ago, Alshie said:

I was about to reply and say they had said it would be 4K60 on next gen but on checking the article they've basically said all their other new games will be 4K60 but Watch Dogs will not. Weird.

Apparently that’s because Watchdogs is 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing. Their other titles are 4K/60fps but aren’t doing Ray Tracing.

The PC footage of this looks great in terms of graphics. However, what footage there is of it running on PS5/Series X, seems to have more in common with the PS4/Xbox One versions, which is disappointing. Really want an excuse to pick this up whilst it’s going cheap, as I love exploring games set in real world locations, especially London. Takes me back to playing Metropolis Street Racer!

• gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - Visit London
  • gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - Don’t let your kids play (see page 16)