Watch Dogs Legion - Don’t let your kids play (see page 16)

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Review embargo lifts at 11am this morning.

Any review embargo that goes out after it’s live (and it’s live in NZ at that time) is a red flag. I’d like to be pleasantly surprised but...

21 hours ago, K said:

I really wanted to play this, right up until I saw some footage of it. It just looks so inauthentic - like it's been made by Canadians working off reference material, who've probably only been to London a handful of times, if that. I mean, I love the idea of a Watch Dogs-type game set in London, but seeing the city decorated with giant holographic crowns and with Union flags everywhere, it just looks like Wee Britain from Arrested Development.

I'm playing Forza Horizon 4 at the moment, and you can really tell that was made by UK-based developers. It's the little details, like having an event kick off in the car park of a nature reserve in the lake district, which really, really looks like a car park in the Lake District, down to the wood chip on the ground and the sodden logs separating the spaces. The appeal of this kind of game for me is seeing a representation of a place I know, and I'm not so interested in seeing North Americans' idea of what London might be like.

Plus, the actual game looks like the same old mix of indifferent driving, and creeping up behind people and pressing circle to take them down. The lack of any specific player character is a neat idea, but I'm not sure it'll be enough to lure me in.

Yeah, this is always going to be the case with an Ubisoft game, whatever the setting. I guess you can't realistically send every artist and designer that works on a game like this to the place in question.

They do try to make up for it, though. They have this pretty cool internal research database that's full of photos and videos etc that they've gathered from their own research trips, as well as stuff they've found online. They make little documentaries about weird little things they think are important. Memory's a bit hazy but I think I saw this little thing on DIY BMX culture that they'd made for something or other. They know they have a lot of work to do to get this stuff right, but I do think they're getting better at it. 

I'm still getting this, I think, though expectations are suitably low. I want to support the idea of non-US cities in open world games, I want to make sure Clint Hocking stays in work, and I want something that will help me see the difference between Xbox One and Series X when the time comes.

Also a pal who's reviewing it confirmed that NPCs call each other 'wasteman', so, yeah, I'm in. Just hope the music's up to snuff. The first Watch Dogs had the most obviously googled soundtrack. Bands from Chicago, songs about Chicago, songs by the band Chicago. Ugh.

1 minute ago, djbhammer said:

Review embargo lifts later today so should start to see reviews popping up. 

What with Cyberpunk being delayed, it’s now this or Valhalla for me.

In the same boat, leaning toward Valhalla to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Yeah, this is always going to be the case with an Ubisoft game, whatever the setting. I guess you can't realistically send every artist and designer that works on a game like this to the place in question.

They do try to make up for it, though. They have this pretty cool internal research database that's full of photos and videos etc that they've gathered from their own research trips, as well as stuff they've found online. They make little documentaries about weird little things they think are important. Memory's a bit hazy but I think I saw this little thing on DIY BMX culture that they'd made for something or other. They know they have a lot of work to do to get this stuff right, but I do think they're getting better at it. 

I'm still getting this, I think, though expectations are suitably low. I want to support the idea of non-US cities in open world games, I want to make sure Clint Hocking stays in work, and I want something that will help me see the difference between Xbox One and Series X when the time comes.

Also a pal who's reviewing it confirmed that NPCs call each other 'wasteman', so, yeah, I'm in. Just hope the music's up to snuff. The first Watch Dogs had the most obviously googled soundtrack. Bands from Chicago, songs about Chicago, songs by the band Chicago. Ugh.

Yeah, I admit it's not a particularly realistic expectation on my part that a Ubisoft game using a variation on the Ubisoft template is going to be recreate my version of London. I guess I'm a bit more forgiving of something like Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, where they're reinventing something that no longer exists and where a Canadian dev team isn't going to have any particular disadvantage over a UK one, than I am of a game trying to recreate what is effectively the here and now. Like, even a company as psychotically focused as Naughty Dog struggled to recreate a UK pub exactly in Uncharted 3 - they'd clearly put titanic levels of effort in, and it was still a bit uncanny valley.

I really want to be interested in this game for all the reasons you say, and maybe my reaction to the footage was down to the fact that so far it all focuses on touristy areas. I'll keep an eye on the reviews.

Apparently this is what is known of the soundtrack/radio stations so far. Curious how they will integrate the fourth track on the indie list into the game exactly, would be a bit odd if it was a random radio track

Edit - anyone figure out why the spoiler tags aren't working on this?

[Spoiler]

Original

Welcome to the Resistance

Indie

Alt-J - Breezeblocks

Apollo Junction - Begin

Bad Sounds - Milk It

Badiel Skinner & The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions

Blur - Song 2

Bloc Party - Banquet

Black Honey - Hello Today

BONES UK - Creature

Boston Manor - Hate You

Breton - Titan

Busted - Reunion

Coax - Over It

Demons of Ruby Mae - Synesthesia

Foals - Exits

Foals - In Degrees

Frank Turner - Recovery

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

Lily Allen - Fuck You

Monico Blonde - Breathe

Muse - Bliss

Sam Fender - Spice

Shiners - Pressure

The Libertines - Up the Bracket

YONAKA - Fired Up

Metal

Anaal Nathrakh - Hold Your Children Close and Pray for Oblivion

Angel Witch - Death From Andromeda

Architects - Hereafter

Biomechanical - The Empires of the Worlds

Bring Me the Horizon - MANTRA

Continents - Life of Misery

Haggard Cat - Grave Digger

Savage Messiah - Hellblazer

Hip Hop

Big Shaq - Man Don't Dance

Isaiah Dreads - Chill

KSI & Randolph - Red Alert

Lady Leshurr - Queen's Speech, Ep. 4

New Gen - Man of the Hour (ft. Jevon)

Stormzy - Big for Your Boots

Stormzy (feat. Tina Major9) - Rainfall

Electronica

Curbi - Polar

Daniel Blume - Tonight

Diamond Eyes - Run Away

Everyone You Know - Sinners

Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank

HitRecord - I Am Your Virus

HitRecord - Unknown song

HitRecord - Riot

HitRecord - Rise for War

Inja vs. Whiney - Crooked Flex

Metrik - Cadence (Metrik Goes Halftime Remix)

Muzzy - In The Night (feat. Sullivan King)

Slumberjack & Machine Age - Daggers

The Prodigy - Light Up the Sky

Punk

Janus Stark - Enemy Lines

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

Tokyo Taboo - Make It Out Alive

Classical

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain

Mozart - Requiem

Mozart - Symphony No. 40

Richard Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries

[/Spoiler]

12 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Three Lions is getting muted asap. Fucking New Labour toxic centrist cunts racist Baddiel and JKR apologist Skinner.

Sealions on the shirrrrt 

Ooof.

Also the first time I was aware that

It's an issue we've anecdotally heard has happened to multiple reviewers of the game on Xbox One X - Ubisoft's recommended platform for reviewers.

was a thing.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Ooof.

Also the first time I was aware that

was a thing.

itll be tied into marketing. And also trying to show your game off in the best light.

id imagine they’d also want the PC build reviewed on the Nvidia graphics cards they have a comarketing deal with.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Game set in London about fighting against a corrupt regime. 

No Anarchy in the UK by Sex Pistols. 

Yeah man, and why isn't Streets of London by Ralph McTell in there either? Do Ubi even know where their game is set?!

3 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

The first Watch Dogs had the most obviously googled soundtrack. Bands from Chicago, songs about Chicago, songs by the band Chicago. Ugh.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Game set in London about fighting against a corrupt regime. 

No Anarchy in the UK by Sex Pistols.

6 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah man, and why isn't Streets of London by Ralph McTell in there either? Do Ubi even know where their game is set?!

b96043282947ba059ac7da1a4fd277f8.gif

5 minutes ago, K said:

That article is confusing. Are they saying that the shutdown happens when the game does a kind of Hideo Kojima / Arkham Asylum-style fake console shutdown, or is it just that the console is overheating?

I thought that initially but I believe it really is causing the console to think it's overheating (or really is overheating)

Reviews are a mixed bag. Generally positive about the world itself but split on the recruitment mechanics and missions. Some reviewers loved recruiting your own team with various skills, trying missions with different characters and the random stories the games systems could throw up, others thought the recruitment didn't add much and that the missions were repetitive and the narrative weak (has the narrative ever been strong in an Ubi open-world game though, honestly?)

Maybe comes down to how much you enjoy playing around with systems and mechanics vs having a strong narrative and varied campaign. 

57 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

b96043282947ba059ac7da1a4fd277f8.gif

But my suggestion makes more sense than googling songs about London. It's about rebellion against a fascist  regime, about standing up and fighting for something. You know, the whole premise of the game? 

Anyway, it'll likely be a licencing thing like Moose said. 

8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Sounds really like the first two games to me. But with added quirky (annoying!) characters.

When is the embargo for Valhalla lifted?

I would imagine another week or so, as its out on the 10th.

Edit -It does seem really odd that Ubi are launching two third person sandbox style games within a couple of weeks of each other. Legions was delayed I suppose and it made sense to launch it nearer the new console releases to maximise sales.

• gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - Visit London
  • gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - Don’t let your kids play (see page 16)