IGNORED

Arcade racer chat

MattyP

Couldn't find another thread... so the recent release of Dangerous Driving has inspired me to get back into the genre. 

Rather than pollute that topic thought I'd start a new one up... Not sure if this should be classed as retro or not? :) Still we are getting a few new titles through in the genre.

Recently been playing PGR 4 and Sega Rally again on the 360 which are both still a great racers. 

So of course we now have Dangerous Driving*... Any others worthy of a look on the current crop of consoles?

* In other news....this has inspired me to go back to this games origins so having never played BO3 just ordered it on the PS2...  Prices seem to have been creeping up of late managed to get a copy for a fiver though. My aim is to somehow ultimately get it running on a PC emulator. Also secretly hoping that the PS5 will do some emulation magic and let me play some upscaled PS2 games at some point... 

MODS : Not sure if there is another topic on this feel free to merge if so. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

3 hours ago, Naieve said:

I still maintain that Ridge Racer Unbounded was a fantastic game, just a bit too hard. Comedy dubstep is well suited to arcadey racers.

Really surprised that the PS4 hasn't yet been blessed with a Riiiiiiiidddddddddggeeee Racer..... It was kind of the iconic series on the platform and arguably sold ms PSX's that anything else!

My favourite genre.

I think the closest thing to a recent thread about this was the one where we complained about how the genre is dead (but then nobody seems to buy the games that do come out unless they are exactly whichever old game people are nostalgic for).

Anyway.. pc is the place to be for these things these days.

I liked Rise:Race the Future

The other one I enjoyed last year was Fast Beat Loop Racer, a respectable Chinese Wangan Midnight clone.

Both of those were only about a tenner on Steam at release and I got a lot of enjoyment out of both.

Recently there was Xenon Racer. The abysmal switch port sort of sullied it, but I played the beta on PC and it was pretty decent (fairly idiosyncratic drift mechanics though).

I think one problem is that even within whatever niche market now exists, there are different types of "arcade racing fans". Some people actually think Driveclub and Forza Horizon are arcade racers. Others want every arcade racing game to control exactly like a criterion NFS game and proclaim anything that differs from that to be rubbish etc etc.

6 minutes ago, partious said:

Recently there was Xenon Racer. The abysmal switch port sort of sullied it, but I played the beta on PC and it was pretty decent (fairly idiosyncratic drift mechanics though).

I was looking at getting this on the Switch.. until I read the feedback on it and watched a few vids and then saw the release price! :) 

DriveClub and Forza Horizon I guess are the closest this gen has produced to a non-sim fun racers. In particular DriveClub is nearer an arcade racer than Forza. 

Thanks for the heads up on the other PC games i will have a look at those!

14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I was looking at getting this on the Switch.. until I read the feedback on it and watched a few vids and then saw the release price! :) 

DriveClub and Forza Horizon I guess are the closest this gen has produced to a non-sim fun racers. In particular DriveClub is nearer an arcade racer than Forza. 

Thanks for the heads up on the other PC games i will have a look at those!

I think Fast Beat Loop Racer is the more approachable of the two. It's fairly shallow (it's a WM clone) but it has enjoyable slidey drifts, a good sense of speed etc.

The only person who tried Rise Race the Future in the thread I made came straight back to proclaim it to be shit :)

I really like it, but the mechanics etc take a bit more getting used to. I found the drifting and boosting really satisfying when it clicked and it hooked me for longer than Fast Beat Loop Racer.

I'm a fan of 90s arcade racers and a lot of those have unique mechanics etc you have to learn (like using gears for drifting in daytona vs the way it works in ridge racer etc).

Xenon Racer was too expensive for me too. After trying the PC beta, I would have paid full price for a good Switch port but as it stands, I'll get the pc version when it's about 30 dollars or less.

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

Does F-Zero count?

Absolutely. Why hasn't Nintendo released an updated version on the Switch. Or even ported over at the very least the GC version. 

Guess the market is perhaps dead after all for this genre? It's not like Nintendo don't like to coin-in on their old franchises....

23 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Absolutely. Why hasn't Nintendo released an updated version on the Switch. Or even ported over at the very least the GC version. 

Guess the market is perhaps dead after all for this genre? It's not like Nintendo don't like to coin-in on their old franchises....

It's dead compared to the ps3/360 era when we were spoiled with stuff like Ridge Racer 6 and 7, Split Second. Pure, Outrun 2 Online, Sega Rally Revo, Daytona USA, Blur etc etc etc, but less dead than it was for the first 5 years or so of this gen when there was really nothing(open world NFS doesn't count).

This year there's Dangerous Driving, Xenon Racer, Team Sonic Racing, a switch port of Virtua Racing.

Not exactly a feast, but for a few years there was basically nothing.

Of those, Team Sonic is the one I'm looking forward to. Transformed was one of my favourite games of the previous gen.

Also I have faith that sumo won't make a godawful Switch port.

I already own VR for MegaDrive, 32X(favourite version), Saturn and PS2. But I'll buy it again for Switch :)

17 minutes ago, partious said:

It's dead compared to the ps3/360 era when we were spoiled with stuff like Ridge Racer 6 and 7, Split Second. Pure, Outun 2 Online, Sega Rally Revo, Daytona USA, Blur etc etc etc, but less dead than it was for the first 5 years or so of this gen when there was really nothing(open world NFS doesn't count).

Indeed this is what I found odd about the current gen. From this lot to essentially slim pickings now... Its like the whole industry just fell out of love with the genre completely. Even Sony and MS released PGR3 and Motorstorm as launch titles last gen.

I shall remain forever gutted that I never picked up Outrun 2006 C2C on Steam before it got delisted, I owned the physical copy so never felt the need. Now I'm all digital it's too late :( Outrun Online Arcade isn't quite as brilliant, being a bit stripped down as it is. 

The most depressing discovery for me was when I learned that companies are still making fun looking arcade racers, they just don’t release them outside the arcades anymore.

Wangan Midnight, Initial D, those shallow looking Raw Thrills games, the Daytona from last year, the Chinese one that looks like split second with better graphics, I’d buy them all.

54 minutes ago, MattyP said:

My racing soul has been crying out for it. Less likely games have happened... (Shenmue 3)

Just been reading this:-

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/where-have-all-arcade-racers-gone/#comment-jump

"That’s what’s missing from modern games. The design philosophy seems to be to script your experience entirely, from the moment you push the Start button (or whatever the modern-day equivalent may be, next-gen be damned...) to the moment the credits roll.

By comparison, arcade racers script only your experience for the first lap, in that there’s almost always a shallow corner first to get you used to the steering in safety, then a slightly sharper corner to teach you about the racing line, then a much harder corner that either requires you to apply the brakes to navigate safely, or to activate an advanced control mechanic to get the fastest line. After that, lap two is yours to explore for yourself how you can do better."

I think he has a point. Perhaps people are enjoying more scripted experiences these days? He also makes a point about using brakes and drifting etc.

Guessing the main point is gamers are expecting more "things" in the game... loot boxes. Costumes etc etc. Rather than a purer (more conventional?) gaming experience. 

Personally even if MS made PGR3/4 BC on the XBone it would be appreciated. For me that was the perfect arcade racer in every way in terms of gameplay , circuit variety, weather effects etc. Even better a HD upscale running at 60fps. Yes please. :D 

23 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

What are the best arcade racers on switch? (if any)

18 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Hmmmm.  Slim pickings. Just stick with Mario Kart 8!

17 minutes ago, partious said:

There aren’t many. I enjoyed Horizon Chase.

There really aren't many - MK8 and Hoirzon Chase are the clear choices. Did anyone try out that Riptide game I spotted - I noticed it's on sale at just £3:99 this week, so if anyone cares to take a punt at that and let us know...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Riptide-GP-Renegade-1314620.html