Arcade racer chat

MattyP

Arcade now just seems to mean anything that isn't simulation, it doesn't mean a racing game will really pursue being creative in terms of tracks and environments. There is nothing more boring and bland to me than open vast desert mountainous environments, deemed visually impressive by definition but which are so generic and forgettable. Seeing what new wild tracks lie ahead is my sole reason to play a racing game now.

I remember being pretty amazed when I first saw Scud Race in an arcade. No one ever seems to mention it, i saw it after Daytona and Sega Rally and it seemed like a step up.

This was 23 years ago. The lack of polygons allows for more vivid visuals.

This kind of Outrun 2-esque racing on a rail with the scenery whizzing past you is not done anymore, with few exceptions. I want a racing game to approach track design as the level designers on Metroid Prime approached every room as a visually organic abstract creation. Rock N Roll Racing is the only racing game I can think of that had the excitement of racing on different planets. Then you've got Beetle Adventure Racing pushing the track into being a platforming playground of sorts with dozens of outlandish shortcuts, decreasing the laps and drudgery, and it's pure joy. Metroidvania should apply to every game, discovering new areas of a familiar level is just exciting. It suggests there's no end to it either.

So much potential not being mined. Trials is the only current racing game [of sorts] that takes the basic gameplay of drive left to right and leap over gaps and pushes it, plays with the form. You're used to rocks and ramps, here's a line being drawn as you approach it.

I mean I want a racing game to fuck with the player in the most mischievous annoying way. Combine that some form of randomly/procedurally generated tracks and online play with 30+ racers, hearing the desperate yells of your mate who is going through the pitch dark tunnel of spikes and goo.

Technology just seems to prevent developers from getting to the essence of the racing genre. To start from scratch and identify what would be incredibly engaging, shaping the entire concept of how you race and what form that takes rather than just accepting 20 tracks is the norm (or whatever) and applying the theme/style generically as though that is enough.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Indeed this is what I found odd about the current gen. From this lot to essentially slim pickings now... Its like the whole industry just fell out of love with the genre completely. Even Sony and MS released PGR3 and Motorstorm as launch titles last gen.

They all sold poorly though. Publisher's aren't going to greenlight something that doesn't sell. I think Dangerous Driving is self published @CrashedAlex?

6 minutes ago, wev said:

They all sold poorly though. Publisher's aren't going to greenlight something that doesn't sell. I think Dangerous Driving is self published @CrashedAlex?

Indeed... I know it makes sense... Although maybe there were just too many? :)  I guess you only have to look at the performance of the recent game Rush. Although to be fair I think it was a bit to much of a radical departure for some.. and not really technically a racer - more of a team vehicle carnage game.

DD is self published as far as I understand yes....

@MattyP @wev Yes we could not get arrested with this game really. We are self funded. And have backed all our games ourselves. We have a publisher for a physical release and they paid for the month we needed to actually sort out the physical SKU's.

As for Motorstorm - they always did what was asked of them. I think their publisher was less enamoured of it all. A JPN natural disaster didn't help them. Not their fault in any way. And then Codemasters? Well, that reminds me of my favourite country and western song 'she got the gold mine and i got the shaft'

And PGR - MS ground them down a bit on schedule and they felt they were second fiddle to Turn 10. Would have pissed me off and I heard it pissed them off. Martyn C (very talented guy) had had a bellyful of it all. After selling to ATVI he bailed out and tbh could you blame him? So that's why there isn't any more PGR any more.

Whilst many of us dream about 'some people getting back together' the reality is it's not going to happen. Again, people make games.

We're back to square one and we all have to start somewhere, so that's where we are, starting somewhere.

@Loik V credern Well I also love SCUD Race and still go back and look at it. Thing is, for every fan like you and me, there are millions who simply ask 'where are your licensed cars and licensed tracks.' I agree with most of what you suggest, but I do think that random tracks would not be great. We set the first 'Danger Zone' entirely indoors to focus us to not waste time and money 'doing pretty landscapes' and to push us to explore fantastical crash junction stages. Most people hated it though.

It could well be the industry fell out of love. But it's people that make games. Not companies. I was hatching my plan to leave Criterion as far back as 2007 really. Let's see what we can try next...

Kidding aside, I still have an eye on Drift Stage - the project lead has been through some rough times lately but the source has been handed over to another guy in the team so hopefully it won't disappear into obscurity. :) 

As for existing games, I'm still a big fan of Outrun 2/2006/Online Arcade - I bought it on around five different platforms, and I still have a 360 Slim with the game on the hard drive... but my PC copy of 2006 doesn't like my current Windows 10 configuration. :hmm: I should just emulate the PS2 game or something.

36 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Kidding aside, I still have an eye on Drift Stage - the project lead has been through some rough times lately but the source has been handed over to another guy in the team so hopefully it won't disappear into obscurity. :) 

As for existing games, I'm still a big fan of Outrun 2/2006/Online Arcade - I bought it on around five different platforms, and I still have a 360 Slim with the game on the hard drive... but my PC copy of 2006 doesn't like my current Windows 10 configuration. :hmm: I should just emulate the PS2 game or something.

It was finding a copy of Coast 2 Coast in a charity shop for £2 that persuaded me to dust off/buy a new PSP and start collecting that

Currently having an arcade racer revival - got my 360 out yesterday and have been having a blast playing Ridge Racer 6, Daytona, Outrun Online Arcade/C2C, Sega Rally Online Arcade and Sega Rally.

Played all day yesterday - but going to focus on unlocking everything in Sega Rally again and Dangerous Driving on PS4.

2 hours ago, Naieve said:

There's a Ninty game in the arcades at the moment, Cruise N Blast, which has great environments. Out in Death Valley with a big tornado ripping shit up, running about London where the London Eye comes loose and goes rolling down the road in front of you. Got lambos aswell :D 

This must be the longest running Nintendo series nobody cares about :P

Weird they still have to license the brand name from Nintendo to make these games and they still feel it is worth the effort to do so, rather than just carry on making something similar without the branding.

General Motors Trademarks used under License to Raw Thrills, Inc.
TM & © 2016 Nintendo

I've gotten the itch to play Big Surf Shores again, and cannot drag an old console to connect up to a HDTV, so I'm going to try out the GameCube version (which I do still have the disc for) on Dolphin, still looks great emulated and cleaned up.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Currently having an arcade racer revival - got my 360 out yesterday and have been having a blast playing Ridge Racer 6, Daytona, Outrun Online Arcade/C2C, Sega Rally Online Arcade and Sega Rally.

Played all day yesterday - but going to focus on unlocking everything in Sega Rally again and Dangerous Driving on PS4.

Sega Rally is awesome on the 360! :) Want to drag my Saturn out now to play the original... Spent a fair amount of time trying to perfect my lap time on the Desert level...

There was a version of this on PS2 and PC anyone get to play these? 

Arcade racers are just one of many specific genres that are FUN first and foremost, and I think a lot of games forget that being fun is the whole point.  I'd much rather play Ridge Racer, with it's one track and 8 similar cars that Gran Turismo with its driving lessons, gearbox adjustment etc.  I can drive a Honda Civic at home.  These guys seem to be having a fantastic amount of fun with the officially terrible Crusin' on the Wii.

They're loving it! And that's what gaming is all about - FUN! I think they make far too many games these days that aren't aimed at me.  Gritty realism, games that people say are great after the first five hours, games that realistically simulate every detail of something you could do in real life anyway.  This is why Dangerous Driving is a day one purchase for me, it looks great.

6 hours ago, rgraves said:

There really aren't many - MK8 and Hoirzon Chase are the clear choices. Did anyone try out that Riptide game I spotted - I noticed it's on sale at just £3:99 this week, so if anyone cares to take a punt at that and let us know...

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Riptide-GP-Renegade-1314620.html

Bought Riptide GP Renegade years ago on PS4 and also bought it on Switch more recently. It’s a good game. It’s by the folk that did Hydro Thunder on 360, which was awesome. Beach Buggy Racing is pretty good too which is by the same team. 

13 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Bought Riptide GP Renegade years ago on PS4 and also bought it on Switch more recently. It’s a good game. It’s by the folk that did Hydro Thunder on 360, which was awesome.

Ta - bought!

14 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

Bought Riptide GP Renegade years ago on PS4 and also bought it on Switch more recently. It’s a good game. It’s by the folk that did Hydro Thunder on 360, which was awesome. Beach Buggy Racing is pretty good too which is by the same team. 

I thought it felt like a polished mobile phone game. Hydro Thunder is far better.

29 minutes ago, dumpster said:

PSP emulator for switch.... released yesterday.

I don't know how to run those kinda things on the Switch. I do have it on my Shield Tablet and that's great but I'd love an official version.