IGNORED

Arcade racer chat

MattyP

Never forget the best arcade racing game of the previous era:

:wub: :(

12 hours ago, replicant said:

Did anyone else enjoy Wagan Midnight (Namco), Initial D, and Shutokou Battle games?

I did, spent dozens of hours on my imported copy of Initial D: Street Stage on PSP!

Also played some coin-op Wangan Midnight and Shutokou Battle games over the years, but never really enjoyed them that much.

Gravel isn't bad for an arcade racer and Xenon Racer is okay on PC.

Switch version is meant to be pretty bad though.

Vrally is playable and some of you arcade junkies might want to even dip so far as Isle of Man TT or/and Ride 3 as they offer pure ballsy excitement once you learn the mechanics.

Sadly The 90s Arcade Racer seems to have died (it may be coming out as 90's Super GP)....

https://www.nicalis.com/games/90ssupergp

13 hours ago, replicant said:

Did anyone else enjoy Wagan Midnight (Namco), Initial D, and Shutokou Battle games?

I put hours and hours into both the PS2 and PSP Initial D games. The PS3 game was one of the first games I bought for the console but was let down by awful handling.

Just got my copy of Burnout 3 : Takedown (PS2) through the post today. So it will be a bit of that and Dangerous Driving tonight! :) 

Oh for XBox 360 owning people just realised that Burnout 3 is backwards compatible on the 360 too if you want to experience it or relive the memories! Although not sure how it runs on that...

@CrashedAlex

At the risk of taking advantage of your good nature, I have a question re: Burnout Paradise.

How does it handle online multiplayer?
The manual says EA has a kill switch but multiplayer still works on PS3 today, so some people think it's running fully peer 2 peer. Can you shed any light if it's being supported on dedicated servers or not?

Regardless I find it amazing people are still playing together now, and had a blast with it last night.

I'll be totally there for DD when I get a new Windows Box.

For anyone with a Xbox One and a Gold sub Burnout Paradise Remastered is currently only £5 on the Xbox Store! Has all the DLC released for Paradise for this bit of a bargain! With this and Dangerous Driving my arcade racer itch is definitely been scratched this month! :) 

On 10/04/2019 at 12:17, Dimahoo said:

Gravel isn't bad for an arcade racer and Xenon Racer is okay on PC.

Switch version is meant to be pretty bad though.

Vrally is playable and some of you arcade junkies might want to even dip so far as Isle of Man TT or/and Ride 3 as they offer pure ballsy excitement once you learn the mechanics.

Sadly The 90s Arcade Racer seems to have died (it may be coming out as 90's Super GP)....

https://www.nicalis.com/games/90ssupergp

I thought Gravel was awful. The Saturday afternoon highlight TV programme presentation didn’t help.

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

For anyone with a Xbox One and a Gold sub Burnout Paradise Remastered is currently only £5 on the Xbox Store! Has all the DLC released for Paradise for this bit of a bargain! With this and Dangerous Driving my arcade racer itch is definitely been scratched this month! :) 

Baja Edge of Control HD is also on sale - down to £3.60. Not sure if it’s any good but at that price I’ve taken a punt

On 12/04/2019 at 12:38, PengTiki said:

@CrashedAlex

At the risk of taking advantage of your good nature, I have a question re: Burnout Paradise.

How does it handle online multiplayer?
The manual says EA has a kill switch but multiplayer still works on PS3 today, so some people think it's running fully peer 2 peer. Can you shed any light if it's being supported on dedicated servers or not?

Regardless I find it amazing people are still playing together now, and had a blast with it last night.

The manual is actually correct, it just turned out that EA have been really, really generous with uptime for the servers for the game. It's finally going offline in August 2019.

34 minutes ago, mushashi said:

The manual is actually correct, it just turned out that EA have been really, really generous with uptime for the servers for the game. It's finally going offline in August 2019.

Just read the news. :(

Answers my question in the worst possible way. Had a damn fine run though - 11+ years.

Suspicious timing after my post... tinfoilhat.gif

On 13/04/2019 at 23:42, gossi the dog said:

Baja Edge of Control HD is also on sale - down to £3.60. Not sure if it’s any good but at that price I’ve taken a punt

It's not that bad at all for that price. A bit repetitive.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Flatout 4 only €5 on PSN right now:

https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP4008-CUSA07458_00-FLATOUT400000000

I did a couple of hours on it last night, it's definitely worth €5 for the arcade racer fans. Looking forward to getting stuck back in tonight. 

Also Dangerous Driving is on sale for £15 and Wreckfest came out today. Not a bad week for arcade racers. 

• 1 year later...