Arcade racer chat

28 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

it just wasnt Sega Rally to me, just another racer.

No chance my friend, the cars are exceptionally bouncy and the handling is just the right amount of drifty.  It's great! (Especially on PC as the frame rate is better). Got it from eBay last week for £2 and I'm playing it lots.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

It is, but I never managed to get any good at any track other than the oval. How do you take corners?

Manual gears, actually use the analogue triggers. It was much more Sim than an Arcade racer. 

16 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

I’ve had F355 for DC in my collection for around 7 years (got it in a large bundle of games and consoles) and I’ve never actually played it?! :blink:

You're going to LOVE the music!

11 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Manual gears, actually use the analogue triggers. It was much more Sim than an Arcade racer. 

Yeah it's only an "Arcade racer" because it was released in the arcade, not because it IS aracde...

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah it's only an "Arcade racer" because it was released in the arcade, not because it IS aracde...

It's got manual gears and x4 other options / driving aids to make it handle more arcade like or more realistic, but it's hardly a sim! The home version did suffer a bit by not having the full arcade rig and at the mercy of the ill-suited Dreamcast controller, but it made up for it with the extra tracks. 

Up until recently I still used this as the bar to judge other racing games by, especially when it came to racing and the computer AI

16 hours ago, dumpster said:

No chance my friend, the cars are exceptionally bouncy and the handling is just the right amount of drifty.  It's great! (Especially on PC as the frame rate is better). Got it from eBay last week for £2 and I'm playing it lots.

I have it on 360 and pc. Pc might run at 60fps but the frame Pacing is way of, which makes it feel worse than 360 version. Only way to fix it is to restart the race. So puts championship out of question and only single race viable. It's a shame there was never a fix :angry:

Another Arcade racer which I loved and haven't heard mentioned in ages is GTi club remake on PS3

Again another Arcade racer gem by sumo (puts hotshots racing to shame) and remember having fantastic force feedback support to. Had some great times online with it as well.

Makes me sad the state of arcade racer scene these days. Forza horizon pretty much closest we get.

Surprised more people aren’t playing Inertial Drift. Nails the arcade drifty, tight times, great tracks - thing.

While I enjoy Hotshots Racing, Inertial Drift is the better all round arcade package.

It seems like a good game and I applaud them for trying something new, but the control scheme is really preventing me from enjoying it sadly :(. It works well enough, I just don't find it very satisfying somehow.

8 minutes ago, Yuujiin said:

Just remaster Blur and NFS Hot Pursuit please.

Yeah Hot pursuit by Criterion was awesome, back on 360.  Have it on origin, might have to dig it back out again after reminding me haha.  Also loved the original most wanted which launched with 360 to.  Used to have some ace chases with coppers on that along with some grade A cheesy cut scenes.

Never gave blur a chance, should of really as I loved the PGR series to death.  Maybe some day Microsoft will see light and bring another PGR to us.

16 minutes ago, probotector said:

An arcade racer thread and no mention of the king?

Hoping for a new Ridge racer this gen

:angry:

Been hoping for a new Ridge Racer for the past 10 years (unbounded dont count)  If it was gonna happen, thought it would of done by now.  Resorted to going back to 6 for my fix on 360. Have a dabble on mame with RR1/2/Rave racer every now and again. Be a perfect title for Gamepass.

On the subject of F355, has anyone got experience of a Brook Wingman SD converter? I’d like to use a wheel with my Dreamcast (Logitech G920). Surely if it works, that would completely transform the game, and perhaps Daytona as well. 

16 hours ago, Hodge said:

Been hoping for a new Ridge Racer for the past 10 years (unbounded dont count)  If it was gonna happen, thought it would of done by now.  Resorted to going back to 6 for my fix on 360. Have a dabble on mame with RR1/2/Rave racer every now and again. Be a perfect title for Gamepass.

HD remaster of the PSP’s Ridge Racers would be epic. Best soundtrack IMO

21 hours ago, Hodge said:

And even if it did count, even Unbounded is now nearly 9 years old.

On 26/09/2020 at 03:08, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Rise:Race the Future.

Sorry, but I will not stop stanning for that game. Went back to it the other day after getting pissed off with Hotshot Racing. Still amazing.

As the only other person on this forum who appreciated that game, I feel your pain.

Best arcade racer this gen and every mention of it was totally ignored by those who regularly lament the lack of arcade racers.

The Switch port was good but I much preferred the experience on PC due to the analogue triggers.

Xenon Racer is currently 2 euros on Steam for another day or two. The PC version is a very good arcade racer. The Switch port is complete trash (again, I bought both..).

The problem with both of these games is that they're actual new arcade style racing games with unique handling/drift mechanics that you have to practice and get used to. Even in this thread I don't think most people want that, as opposed to a port/remake/spiritual successor of Outrun 2/Burnout 2/Daytona/Ridge Racer (not that I'd be against those either).

On 25/09/2020 at 05:01, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

it just wasnt Sega Rally to me, just another racer.

I agree that the handling didn't feel like Sega Rally 1 and 2. The delisted PSN game is much closer to the handling and general feel of the first 2 Sega Rally games so they clearly designed and tweaked that to feel more "arcadey" and revo less so.

Also, as mentioned, the PC version of Revo has major frame pacing issues and isn't "super smooth" at all. I find it borderline broken and definitely inferior to the 360 version despite that being 30fps.