IGNORED

Arcade racer chat

MattyP

I wonder if I can get Ultimate Carnage working on Steam Deck too. Loved that and slightly more pick up and play than Wreckfest, despite that being a better overall game. 

2 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Thanks for the final push I needed to get into Wreckfest (it was on my list but I think I wanted to wait for the Series S|X patch). Amazing game, hilarious at times, even my wife wants to play it now :)

It's coming to Switch soon.  I will be double dipping.

I love the FH games but not going to try to persuade anyone to like them. 

I agree 100% with everything that's been said about Wreckfest. One of the best arcade racers I've ever played. The absolute carnage is just amazing. 

It's not really an arcade racer (probably arcade sim?) but GRID is worth a play. Also Project Cars 3 got slated for being too arcadey by long term fans but I loved it. Its a great arcade sim. 

39 minutes ago, Mr C said:

It's not really an arcade racer (probably arcade sim?) but GRID is worth a play. Also Project Cars 3 got slated for being too arcadey by long term fans but I loved it. Its a great arcade sim. 

Should have gone for Project Carcade as a name :P 

2 hours ago, Mr C said:

I love the FH games but not going to try to persuade anyone to like them. 

They were great and still are. But. After a few of them... Just wish they'd spruce things up a bit* . Mexico whilst interesting feels very similar to Australia for some reason... 

My favourite one is still 2 on Xbox One. Those azure blue sky and the location.. wow... Still looks good today... but its age is showing a bit in that its only 30fps. Oh and I can't play it because it never made it to the PC (days before play anywhere and gamepass).

*I'm still salty because they didn't do Japan... :D 

17 hours ago, MattyP said:

They were great and still are. But. After a few of them... Just wish they'd spruce things up a bit* . Mexico whilst interesting feels very similar to Australia for some reason... 

My favourite one is still 2 on Xbox One. Those azure blue sky and the location.. wow... Still looks good today... but its age is showing a bit in that its only 30fps. Oh and I can't play it because it never made it to the PC (days before play anywhere and gamepass).

*I'm still salty because they didn't do Japan... :D 

I just cannot stand this festival social influencer vibe that is ruining the entire experience for me. Even GTA had a better car fanatic vibe going on than the cheesy US EDM hipster festival vibe that Horizon has been doing for 3 iterations now. A Fast & Furious car tuning theme would be more fun (or better: a Japan setting with it's car tuning scene and none of that hipster stuff). 

Secondly it's like the Uncharted for race games... scripted scenes with rubber banding (decelerate while you're in a scripted scene and the AI will do the same so you stay close enough) that is also ruining the fun. If Forza Motorsport does the same I am done with the series for good. We will find out soon enough I think. 

35 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I just cannot stand this festival social influencer vibe that is ruining the entire experience for me. Even GTA had a better car fanatic vibe going on than the cheesy US EDM hipster festival vibe that Horizon has been doing for 3 iterations now. A Fast & Furious car tuning theme would be more fun (or better: a Japan setting with it's car tuning scene and none of that hipster stuff). 

Secondly it's like the Uncharted for race games... scripted scenes with rubber banding (decelerate while you're in a scripted scene and the AI will do the same so you stay close enough) that is also ruining the fun. If Forza Motorsport does the same I am done with the series for good. We will find out soon enough I think. 

It's been very quiet on the Forza Motorsport front for a while now... Hopefully we'll have some news at the non E3 thing. With an Autumn release hopefully!

On 07/06/2022 at 07:34, PikaStu said:

The Outrun 2 arcade releases run incredibly well with Teknoparrot on PC. IMO better than the native PC version. I had it running on a Q6600 and ancient NVidia 9600GT at native resolution.

Is this easy to sort out? As the PC port is missing some stuff that was in the original Arcade version. The Japanese PS2 release is the most content complete official version as it came out way later than the Western versions.

9 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Is this easy to sort out? As the PC port is missing some stuff that was in the original Arcade version. The Japanese PS2 release is the most content complete official version as it came out way later than the Western versions.

My local Surugaya has one - priced at ¥32,000.  Glad I got one back in the day.

10 hours ago, mushashi said:

Yeah pretty easy. Loads of guides to get tecknoparrot up and running. Also there is a patch for it that I think makes it 60fps

Think there is a post in retro about it