rllmuk
Goose

Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we go it!

7 hours ago, Meh said:

I know the quality's been cut down a bit because of the virus and all that, but holy fuck the image quality is god-awful.

It looked great to me (sat about 7’ from a 720 43” inch plasma, through an Xbox One).  I couldn’t see where extra quality could come from on my set-up. I assume you’re on fancier kit?

7 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

It looked great to me (sat about 7’ from a 720 43” inch plasma, through an Xbox One).  I couldn’t see where extra quality could come from on my set-up. I assume you’re on fancier kit?

‘The resolution is changing for different users and on different devices. I was getting an absolutely shite picture that looked like VHS at one point.

The Mandolorian is......ok I guess. Considering its hype I was expecting something amazing. So far it's good, but that's it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Meh said:

I know the quality's been cut down a bit because of the virus and all that, but holy fuck the image quality is god-awful.

What are you watching on?  The kids watched Toy Story 3 yesterday on my LG C9 using the native app and it was in Dolby Vision and looked incredibly sharp.  It definitely feels like different apps get different quality, and the LG app is one of the better ones.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Gordzilla said:

Anyone got the app on a Samsung tv?

My mate was searching this yesterday and it's only K series or above.

2 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

What are you watching on?  The kids watched Toy Story 3 yesterday on my LG C9 using the native app and it was in Dolby Vision and looked incredibly sharp.  It definitely feels like different apps get different quality, and the LG app is one of the better ones.

Yeah I'm on a C9 over wifi on a virgin cable line and it's been pretty good from checking out bits of Star Wars movies....feels like slightly softer than 4k but that's just like all streaming platforms :D

Could some of it also be issues with a fibre/broadband connection, are those getting hit more with folk online?

14 hours ago, Gordzilla said:

Anyone got the app on a Samsung tv?

I may download it today, saw it in the download store yesterday.

Thinking of signing up for a month, until Sky come up with their access deals and switch if it's better (well, included in Ultimate On Demand, which is what I'm hoping for)

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

Could some of it also be issues with a fibre/broadband connection, are those getting hit more with folk online?

I am trying the seven day demo and the quality was fine for me. Much better than the currently bandwidth restricted netflix. Only watched Rocketeer and some Simpsons though. 

My ISP emailed yesterday to say that, even though usage was up by 18%, they were removing bandwidth caps on those packages that still have them (I hadn't realised they even offered such deals) as they are nowhere near their bandwidth capacity in order to help people who are now confined to their homes. 

Back on topic I'll probably not bother after seven days as the only thing I'd really want is Simpsons but the horrific cropping of those earlier seasons is painful in the eyes. 

2 hours ago, sandman said:

The Mandolorian is......ok I guess. Considering its hype I was expecting something amazing. So far it's good, but that's it. 

Isn't that amazing all by itself? Good Star Wars content! Whoever could've seen that one coming?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:

Yeah, the LG one is giving a way better picture than either the PS or Xbox right now for some reason??

3 hours ago, sandman said:

35 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Isn't that amazing all by itself? Good Star Wars content! Whoever could've seen that one coming?

The Mandolorian doesn't even come close to the quality of the 5 new films put out recently. Not even close, while still being decent. 

...and god-forbid someone has an opinion that differs from that which is parroted by the internet at large. 

• Upvote 2

Oh, I was just talking about my own opinion :) Fwiw, setting aside the endless discussions about the quality of Star Wars content in general, I personally enjoyed The Mandalorian a lot more than any of the movies after the original trilogy. 

• Upvote 2

I think The Mandalorian improves as it goes on. I remember being a little dissapointed with the lack of character development in the first episode, but ended up loving the series.

6 hours ago, sandman said:

How far in are you Sandman. It definitely takes three or four to get going.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I think The Mandalorian improves as it goes on. I remember being a little dissapointed with the lack of character development in the first episode, but ended up loving the series.

We watched the first ep and I really loved it. That feeling of a pulp western, especially with the art work at the end. I also thought the gun slinging robot was excellent. 

Yeah it’s a bit stand alone (till the last scene) and no character development yet but for an opener I thought it was excellent. A series is always going to have a different feel to the films. Same with the marvel stuff. 

• Upvote 1

The Samsung TV app has been quite unstable for me, lot of temporary freezes.

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Episode V > Episode IV > Mandalorian

It’s fucking great.

Being pernickety, but that equation is useless unless you put some more stuff to the right of Mandalorian, because the following is also true:

Episode V > Episode IV > Episode I

• Upvote 1

Last night I forced myself to scroll through every movie and series.  I've bookmarked 50 (mostly movies).  I was struck going through the movies what utter bilge the Disney Studio has crapped out over the years.  Without the sprinkling of acquired IP (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar) most of the content looks like a fire sale at an independently owned video shop from the 80s.

I've got Rebels and all but the most recent series of Clone Wars on disc.  Ditto for the Marvel stuff.  So I can't gripe it doesn't have content I like.  

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Last night I forced myself to scroll through every movie and series.  I've bookmarked 50 (mostly movies).  I was struck going through the movies what utter bilge the Disney Studio has crapped out over the years.  Without the sprinkling of acquired IP (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar) most of the content looks like a fire sale at an independently owned video shop from the 80s.

I've got Rebels and all but the most recent series of Clone Wars on disc.  Ditto for the Marvel stuff.  So I can't gripe it doesn't have content I like.  

I browsed through all of Action/Adventure and had the same video shop in the 80s feeling!

Do we know yet when Caravan of Courage will drop? :D

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. Only two negatives are the soundtrack which feels kind of cheap and one particular battle, which was nowhere near as epic as it should have been. Looking forward to the third chapter.

Tried to sign up but keep getting a error about no legal documents available. 

Tried on my phone and PC. weird.

I re-watched Endgame for the first time since the cinema, came through at 4K Dolby Vision on my Virgin Media connection. I wonder if they’re throttling it by each ISP’s bandwidth, don’t they mirror the content inside their own infrastructure? Anyway, it looked amazing, even on my very borderline LCD.

Now on to The Rocketeer. I’ll run out of old faves eventually and who knows if they’ll get enough good content on the regular but it’ll do me for the first year.

Watching Pirates of the Caribbean, this ain't 4k...

Edit: This is barely better than DVD... 

• Upvote 1

If you need inspiration, you could do a lot worse than watching every season of Good Luck Charlie - it may be a sitcom for kids but it's bloody well written. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

PS4 app and PC. It looked like shite on both, but I'm not complaining as such, considering the situation we're in. I'll give it a sub once everything is back to relative normality.

Do Disney own the rights to the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferringo Incredible Hulk TV series?  I would not mind watching through that again if they ever show them.  I firmly believe the first episode is the greatest pilot to a TV show ever made.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Now on to The Rocketeer. I’ll run out of old faves eventually and who knows if they’ll get enough good content on the regular but it’ll do me for the first year.

I’m thinking I’ll get six months or so out of the big name Disney classics and watching all the Marvel movies again, but after that will probably cancel and just occasionally resubscribe for a month at a time for new Star Wars series. I can’t really see myself getting into too much else.

40 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Do Disney own the rights to the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferringo Incredible Hulk TV series?  I would not mind watching through that again if they ever show them.  I firmly believe the first episode is the greatest pilot to a TV show ever made.

Universal own that. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Universal own that. 

Ah shame.  Cheers for the answer though.