rllmuk

Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

Well this is the best quality picture of any streaming service I think I've used, if Mandalorian is any evidence.

• Upvote 2

Just had a phishing attempt via email asking me to change my password and my account is locked (it's not) due to failed log-ins.

I'm sure most people are vigilant but thought I'd post a warning here.

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Pug said:

Just had a phishing attempt via email asking me to change my password and my account is locked (it's not) due to failed log-ins.

I'm sure most people are vigilant but thought I'd post a warning here.

I had one too, but on an email account that doesn't have a Disney account attached.

On 01/05/2020 at 09:09, Benny said:

Well this is the best quality picture of any streaming service I think I've used, if Mandalorian is any evidence.

They put the bitrate back to normal?

5 hours ago, Benny said:

It looked like at least Blu Ray quality to me. With HDR as a bonus.

Same, better visually than anything else streaming on our LGC9 55 inch

Also I didn't realise basically everything is in HDR. My TV never had such a workout before. Decided to bung Moana on as I'd never seen it before, and I think my eyes are bleeding.

• Upvote 2
On 02/05/2020 at 20:06, Meh said:

They put the bitrate back to normal?

Looks like it. I watched Captain Marvel Saturday night and it looked spectacular. 

Anyone know much about the Star Wars Resistance kids cartoon that I've just seen show up and what sort of age is it pitched at? My son dying to watch some Star Wars things (other than the Lego stuff) and he's a bit young for Rebels/Clone Wars.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Looks like it. I watched Captain Marvel Saturday night and it looked spectacular. 

Still no Dolby Atmos soundtracks though, it seems.

• Empathy 1
1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Anyone know much about the Star Wars Resistance kids cartoon that I've just seen show up and what sort of age is it pitched at? My son dying to watch some Star Wars things (other than the Lego stuff) and he's a bit young for Rebels/Clone Wars.

Resistance is defintely aimed at the younger audience so get him to give it a go.

It's set before Force Awakens and features a kid who wants to join the Resistance and be a pilot. He ends up being sent to a big floating station/ship on a water world by Poe to "monitor" First Order activities (basically sent out of the way). Whilst there he makes friends with some engineers and much tomfoolery and misadventure takes place.

It's far more kiddie friendly than Clone Wars or Rebels as the stories are far less complex or dark, more centering around the kid being an inept idiot and doing things he shouldn't be doing whilst being "saved" by BB8 and friends (I didn't get on with it, your son might love it).

• Upvote 1

Disney Prop Culture is new right?

https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb/series/disney-prop-culture/3vXywewCCYr5

Movie prop collector Dan Lanigan reunites iconic Disney movie props with the filmmakers, actors, and crew who created and used them in some of Disney’s most beloved films. Throughout this journey, Dan will recover lost artifacts, visit private collections, and help restore pieces from the Walt Disney Archives to their original glory.

Finished Gravity Falls at the weekend, I loved that.  A lot of shows could learn from how it does its overarching plot.  I want more, but it’s a perfect 2 seasons.

Now watching the shorts.

spacer.png

• Upvote 2

Watching Phantom Menace with my 5 year old and it's at times bright, sharp and lovely to look at and at others it's blurry as hell. The film.itself is still a clumsy mess.

Apparently it's an issue that has hampered every home release of the film due to the technical limitations of the time it was made. Firefly has similar issues with lower resolution CG effects that don't scale up so well.

My two year old screams "WINKY WINKY DONKEY" every time Jar Jar appears on screen. I think it's an improvement in the character.

• Upvote 3

Also, new to me, but just noticed that if you view source you will see a quote from Walt Disney at the top.

"We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and

doing new things, because we're curious ...

and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."

Walt Disney

Cheers @Jg15, I think we'll give it a try. I'm about to start Clone Wars (loved Rebels) but think it'll be a bit much for him.

We've watched a few of the Lego ones and he quite likes them, but the are often so overly goofy they can actually be a bit confusing sometimes, and I don't really think show Star Wars in its best form. As such he tends towards other things like Lion Guard, PJ Masks and Lego Ninjago. To be honest I worry a little we maybe over expose him to a few things but he's a bright and grounded lad and absolutely loves the Ninjago stuff which carries some subtle life/death/love/violence themes and he copes with them fine. I just don't want to test him too much during this weird lock down time.

9 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

My two year old screams "WINKY WINKY DONKEY" every time Jar Jar appears on screen. I think it's an improvement in the character.

Amazing!

My 4yo is showing some interest in Star Wars (see above post about Resistance) and I was thinking about when best to try him on the films. I can't remember exactly when I first saw A New Hope as it became the Christmas film tradition so the years have all blurred together, but I think it was about 7-8. How does your 5yo get on with it?

3 hours ago, superfunk said:

Still no Dolby Atmos soundtracks though, it seems.

I just started Toy Story 4 on the app on my LG OLED and I got both the Dolby Vision and Atmos notification show up. What device are you using?

20 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

I just started Toy Story 4 on the app on my LG OLED and I got both the Dolby Vision and Atmos notification show up. What device are you using?

LG OLED (2017). I’m trying the LG Disney+ app and also the Disney+ app on myApple TV. I know when Atmos is working because i get a blue light and some text on my Samsung Atmos soundbar but I’m not getting it with any Disney content. 

46 minutes ago, superfunk said:

LG OLED (2017). I’m trying the LG Disney+ app and also the Disney+ app on myApple TV. I know when Atmos is working because i get a blue light and some text on my Samsung Atmos soundbar but I’m not getting it with any Disney content. 

Do you get Atmos from Netflix. I know the C9 needed a Firmware update to properly support Atmos over eARC for internal Apps. Does content show up as having Atmos support before playback?

Edit: Looks like an issue with Atmos on external audio devices on the WebOS app. I just use the internal speakers or headphones which I guess that's why I get the Atmos notification.

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Watching Phantom Menace with my 5 year old and it's at times bright, sharp and lovely to look at and at others it's blurry as hell. The film.itself is still a clumsy mess.

Apparently it's an issue that has hampered every home release of the film due to the technical limitations of the time it was made. Firefly has similar issues with lower resolution CG effects that don't scale up so well.

If it genuinely looks as bad as the Firefly effects shots, it's probably just the resolution dropping down on Disney+ due to the Coronavirus limitations. (It's still doing that all the time for me.) The Phantom Menace's effects shots are definitely a bit softer than the rest of the movie but not that bad! TPM's effects were mastered in something like 1080p, Firefly's would've been in 480i.

32 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Do you get Atmos from Netflix. I know the C9 needed a Firmware update to properly support Atmos over eARC for internal Apps. Does content show up as having Atmos support before playback?

Edit: Looks like an issue with Atmos on external audio devices on the WebOS app. I just use the internal speakers or headphones which I guess that's why I get the Atmos notification.

Yeah - I get it on Netflix and on Apple's TV shows so I know it's working,  and I can see that it's supposed to be Atmos supported in the show's details. I wonder if Disney have enabled it for the LG app but that simply doesn't work for me, while they've yet to enable it in their Apple TV app.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

If it genuinely looks as bad as the Firefly effects shots, it's probably just the resolution dropping down on Disney+ due to the Coronavirus limitations. (It's still doing that all the time for me.) The Phantom Menace's effects shots are definitely a bit softer than the rest of the movie but not that bad! TPM's effects were mastered in something like 1080p, Firefly's would've been in 480i.

Maybe I was over-exaggerating a bit but it is still really jarring (Jar Jar-ring) to see.

It isn't the resolution dropping down. I've had no issues with that with Disney+, Netflix etc during the current situation.

I'm going to watch The Rise Of Skywalker tonight if I can muster up a little enthusiasm. Thing is with films like that it needs to be loud and that won't be possible by the time I get to sit down and watch it.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I possibly wasn’t giving it all of my attention, it seemed to go on forever.

It felt that way at the cinema.

That's how I knew I wasn't really enjoying it. Kept wondering how long was left.

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell.  That penultimate episode of Clone Wars featured more dread and tension and sadness than that entire prequel trilogy could muster.  And Maul is brutal as fuuuuuuck.

• Upvote 2