rllmuk
Goose

Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

17 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Watching Iron Man 2 and, it's not as terrible as I recall but, by God did I forget Elon Musk has a cameo!

Almost as bad as that film when Gordon Ramsay cameos as himself.

/Cringe

In the Musk Cinematic Universe he refuses to make the nanotech armour because nanotech isn't real, not that he could afford to make it after the Mandarin coaxed him into making ruinously slanderous statements in an Twitter feud.

Yeah, the "Musk is the real Iron Man" stuff hasn't aged well. Someone pointed out that Star Trek Disco season 1 includes him in a list of genius inventors alongside the inventor of the warp drive.

I love all the extras actually like deleted scenes and documentaries.  Reminds me of the dvd days!

I used my vpn to access the usa version , although probably already watched most things of interest. However I prefer the TV app as the quality seems so much better directly through that.

They defo need more content though. 

The one thing I am missing from the early MCU films is the one-shot DVD extras.  I have only found one of them on there.

On 19/05/2020 at 11:25, Nick R said:

Funnily enough due to watching the finale of The Clone Wars plus the original theatrical trailer of ROTS being on IGN yesterday as part of a piece they were doing about it being 15 years old, I decided to watch it on Disney last night for the first time since it originally came out. 

For a 15 year old film parts of it really do look stunning and there is definitely the kernel of a decent film in there.  It is the Anakin and Padme scenes that just do not work at all and even though the dialogue between them is crap, the acting is just awful.  

Also Palptine offing 3 fully trained and alert Jedi in about 5 seconds so they can concentrate on the fight with Mace is just daft.  

The big Vader scene just NOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!

All in all The Clone Wars does a much better job of making The Prequel era interesting.

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

Funnily enough due to watching the finale of The Clone Wars plus the original theatrical trailer of ROTS being on IGN yesterday as part of a piece they were doing about it being 15 years old, I decided to watch it on Disney last night for the first time since it originally came out. 

For a 15 year old film parts of it really do look stunning and there is definitely the kernel of a decent film in there.  It is the Anakin and Padme scenes that just do not work at all and even though the dialogue between them is crap, the acting is just awful.  

Also Palptine offing 3 fully trained and alert Jedi in about 5 seconds so they can concentrate on the fight with Mace is just daft.  

The big Vader scene just NOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!

All in all The Clone Wars does a much better job of making The Prequel era interesting.

The turn to evil happened far too fast. One moment he is trying to make sure Windu follows due process in the arrest of Palpatine, and literally his next scene he cuts innocent children to pieces.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, drmick said:

The turn to evil happened far too fast. One moment he is trying to make sure Windu follows due process in the arrest of Palpatine, and literally his next scene he cuts innocent children to pieces.

Totally agree on that point.  I largely blame the other 2 prequels for having to really up the pace in ROTS though, as they really do a piss poor job of setting up the central premise of the trilogy which is the transformation of Anakin into Vader.

The only good thing about the prequels was they gave us the Clone Wars, which actually turns Anakin into a fully fleshed out character instead of the wet paper bag he is in the films, with his aforementioned flippidy flop from worrying about due process and killing children.

10 hours ago, drmick said:

This has always struck me.

We know that lightsabers hack bits off grown people. Now imagine what a grown man with a lightsaber swinging it round like a mad'un would do to tiny little pre-school kids? It's way more twisted when you think about it, because the implication is he didn't just kill the children, he did as you said: cut them to pieces. There'd be bits of them all over the shop.

They also failed spectacularly to show the impact hacking children to bits had on Anakin, other than the yellow eyes and him being a bit grumpy.

On 22/05/2020 at 08:10, Doctor Shark said:

The only good thing about the prequels was they gave us the Clone Wars, which actually turns Anakin into a fully fleshed out character instead of the wet paper bag he is in the films, with his aforementioned flippidy flop from worrying about due process and killing children.

One of the things that struck me with the recent trilogy is just how amazing kylo REN’s arc is in it. I imagine this is what Lucas had planned for the prequels but he simply didn’t have the actor who could pull it off. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, strider said:

One of the things that struck me with the recent trilogy is just how amazing kylo REN’s arc is in it. I imagine this is what Lucas had planned for the prequels but he simply didn’t have the actor who could pull it off. 

Nah. Hayden Christiansen isn’t brilliant by any stretch, but he wasn’t exactly given much to work with, either. The prequels didn’t die on his acting ability, they died because the story was boring, half-arsed and incomplete - something the clone wars show thankfully rectifies (and yes, Matt Lanter is a better Anakin by far). Anakin is brilliant in Clone Wars, for sure. 

Also, Kylo Ren’s arc is as generic as generic can be. 

The prequels died to thunderous applause...

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Nah. Hayden Christiansen isn’t brilliant by any stretch, but he wasn’t exactly given much to work with, either. The prequels didn’t die on his acting ability, they died because the story was boring, half-arsed and incomplete - something the clone wars show thankfully rectifies (and yes, Matt Lanter is a better Anakin by far). Anakin is brilliant in Clone Wars, for sure. 

Also, Kylo Ren’s arc is as generic as generic can be. 

You're right it is generic, but it's elevated because Adam Driver is superb. Great actors can do a lot with shit. 

• Upvote 1

I love everything about the new star wars except Adam Driver. He just came across as bored all the way through. 

• Upvote 1

Finn and Poe were the best things about the new trilogy. Rey and Kylo were bland and poorly acted. I agree Adam Driver, who I'd not seen in anything else, just seemed really bored throughout. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Finn and Poe were the best things about the new trilogy. Rey and Kylo were bland and poorly acted. I agree Adam Driver, who I'd not seen in anything else, just seemed really bored throughout. 

See I thought Finn and Poe were great in the first and then they became flimsier and flimsier as the series went on. Driver was consistent throughout for me and elevated the film anytime he was in it.`

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, strider said:

See I thought Finn and Poe were great in the first and then they became flimsier and flimsier as the series went on. Driver was consistent throughout for me and elevated the film anytime he was in it.`

Can't argue that they didn't waste Finn and Poe's potential, for sure. They should have been the focus, not the Jedi. 

11 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Can't argue that they didn't waste Finn and Poe's potential, for sure. They should have been the focus, not the Jedi. 

I think one of the things I loved about the first film is the chemistry the characters had together. That was pretty much wrecked for the later ones. Some of the bants in Rise was fun to see but Finn gets pretty much side-lined (although the less said about what happened to poor old Rose the better).

Just finished Winter Soldier.

Absolute God Tier MCU stuff.

Shame that the audio on D+ is so rubbish.

Character talking - have to turn it up.

Shooting starts - have to turn it down.

I've just stuck the physical BR on and the audio is spot on. Can hear speech and normal volume and the explosions / gunfire aren't going to wake up the kids.

17 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Just finished Winter Soldier.

Absolute God Tier MCU stuff.

Shame that the audio on D+ is so rubbish.

Character talking - have to turn it up.

Shooting starts - have to turn it down.

I've just stuck the physical BR on and the audio is spot on. Can hear speech and normal volume and the explosions / gunfire aren't going to wake up the kids.

That's a common sound issue with surround sound mixes, but it's more likely to be down to way your setup is handling it rather than the mix itself. Your Blu-ray player might be doing some volume levelling stuff.

Don't forget they are still running reduced bandwidth for lockdown increased usage where both video and audio quality is taking a big hit.

I'm impatiently waiting for them to run full bore so I can rewatch the whole MCU and Star Wars movies again.

Anyone with a Samsung TV, has the app stopped working for you?

9 hours ago, Pug said:

Don't forget they are still running reduced bandwidth for lockdown increased usage where both video and audio quality is taking a big hit.

I'm impatiently waiting for them to run full bore so I can rewatch the whole MCU and Star Wars movies again.

I was trying to watch Civil War earlier, and the framerate was very poor.  Fast action scenes were difficult to watch.  Is this a consequence of some bandwidth throttling then?

32 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I'm not on Samsung (LG here), but there have been two app updates in the last two days.  Might be worth checking for updates?

8 hours ago, gospvg said:

LG but I had to delete the app and reinstall yesterday as it wouldn't launch.

Fine for me on Android TV, but there was an update 2 or 3 weeks back which made it almost unusable. Thankfully there was another update (or maybe they reverted to previous version) within the day which fixed it that time.

18 hours ago, Pug said:

@Pug are you just getting HD/5.1 on your viewing options ?