rllmuk
Goose

Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

Watched Togo yesterday. Classic Disney family stuff. Quote a bit of Dog peril that had my 7 year old wailing but overall she really enjoyed it. 

Agents of Shield Season 6 isn't on there, which is a shame as I wanted to catch up on it.

Overall this seems to be something worth having for a month or so a few times a year, I will just have to put the effort in to cancel, then rejoin when new stuff appears. 

On 25/06/2020 at 16:00, JohnC said:

Disney kids channels (Disney Channel, DisneyXD and Disney Junior) are leaving the UK at the end of September. It's Disney+ or nothing for the kids stuff. They say it's really a result of failing to agree carriage deals with Sky and Virgin.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/disney-to-close-kids-channels-in-the-uk-following-launch-of-disney-1202969592/

Well they’d better add season 3 of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir!

Typical, they start streaming in full 4k DV & DA just as I've packed all my AV kit up ready to move this week.

At least when I'm up and running again I know I'll finally get the service I paid a year sub for.

8 hours ago, Pug said:

Typical, they start streaming in full 4k DV & DA just as I've packed all my AV kit up ready to move this week.

At least when I'm up and running again I know I'll finally get the service I paid a year sub for.

Has that been announced Pug ? Good luck with the move !

• Upvote 1

Looks like lots of recent Disney films that are meant to have DA soundtracks are now active - eg Lion King remake, The Force Awakens etc. The original Star Wars Trilogy still doesn't have Atmos yet, though. maybe it's a staggered process through the day or week.

11 hours ago, Jammy said:

Has that been announced Pug ? Good luck with the move !

No announcement as far as I know but my daily check yesterday showed the majority of the stuff I tried was full 4k DA/DV.

Thanks, took a car load up today when we picked up the keys, hired a van for the next three days so going to be busy.

The new house is 70 miles away. :huh:

Excited though. :D

• Upvote 1

Frozen 2 is on Disney+

I have the UHD. It's phenomenal to look at. 

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Frozen 2 is on Disney+

Yep, my son has already watched it. Can't comment on the quality of the stream as I had a work meeting.

Hamilton is up today.  Waiting for my lad to get back from work so we can watch as a family.  I am so fucking excited, we haven’t seen it live but have listened to the soundtrack umpteen times, some of the tracks absolutely break me.  Anybody caught it yet? 

26 minutes ago, sammy said:

Hamilton is up today.  Waiting for my lad to get back from work so we can watch as a family.  I am so fucking excited, we haven’t seen it live but have listened to the soundtrack umpteen times, some of the tracks absolutely break me.  Anybody caught it yet? 

no, but planning to after dinner.

we have seen the London show three times though... ( otherwise I imagine I might have taken the afternoon off)

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have any idea how D+ decides what resolution your system can play ? Is it purely internet bandwidth ? Can it detect what your TV is capable of playing, or is it like the old days with PCs and CRT monitors where if you tell it to use a resolution your TV can’t handle you just get a display error ?

It’ll be bandwidth and TV capability. Finding out the resolution of a monitor or smart tv is a line of code, after which it’s “what will the connection support”.

• Upvote 1

Hamilton: it’s interesting how much more emotion Miranda is willing to compromise singing for live on stage than you get in the cast recording, or in the London production. He definitely pushes the impact of being upset much further than Jamal in London will.

Really underwhelmed with Hamilton. It’s definitely at its best in the smaller numbers, and when the hip hop influence is more telling, but a lot of it feels very by the numbers musical. And I found the staging and choreography pretty weak throughout.
The performances are great though, and there are definitely some good songs in there. But I guess it’s a pretty impossible hype to live up to, and obviously I’m in the minority with my opinions on this.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

The impact of the staging/choreography is somewhat lost in the cutting/close focus, so entirely understandable.

I loved every second of it, absolutely glorious.  Seeing it on screen helped emphasise the comedic elements which don’t come over so much in the soundtrack.  Some very powerful performances as well (Burr, the Schuyler sisters). Will be watching again (and again, and again) for sure.

Looks ridiculously good on OLED as well.

• Upvote 3

Loved Hamilton. I've listened to the cast album I don't know how many times but I was not prepared for how brilliant the stage production was. Just bloody lovely.:wub:

• Upvote 2

Saw it with the London cast and loved it, loved it again here. I really hated Aaron Burr’s singing voice though. I’d always heard he was great, was he ill on the night or something? King George was much better than his U.K. counterpart though. Angelica was fantastic as well. 

I know this is a double post because I posted this in the rate your last film out of 5 thread but incase people don't venture into there I wanted to post my thoughts on Hamilton in here too.

Loved it 

When something becomes so big and hyped you can often built up expectations and feel yourself being let down by them. Well thankfully this wasn't one of those times because this certainty lived up to the hype. For the last 4 years I've heard about this play and how amazing it was, but I didn’t expect it to be anything like that. 2 hours and 20 minutes full of brilliant songs, choreography and storytelling. 

I went into this completely blind and watched it solely on the hype. I honestly had no idea that the whole thing was told through song, but it worked so well. Mixing rap, hip hop, pop and soul in with traditional show tunes to tell a 300 year old story was extraordinary and so much fun. 

I did worry a little how watching a recorded stage show would translate for home viewing as I've never experienced that before, but it was silly to worry because they've done an absolutely amazing job with it. The direction, camera work and audio is second to none. The audio is probably better than what you'd hear seeing it live to be honest. 

The whole cast are amazing and Lin-Manuel Miranda is fantastic in the lead but Daveed Diggs steals the show playing both Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson. Jonathan Groff was a massive highlight as King George III too. I loved that it was colour-blind casting too.

I have a little knowledge of the War of Independence and I think that helps with keeping up in the first half of the show because some of the songs do move quite fast and can be a little hard to keep up with. If I had any criticism of the show it would probably be that but it didn't bother me too much.

It really is a great show, fully deserving of its praise and the way they split the story pre and post intermission works really well with the flow. Its entertaining, funny, has some very emphatic and poignant things to say about America and the last 25mins are a real tear jerker

I'm not sure if it counts really because its not a film per se but its shot to number 1 on my list for 2020.

• Upvote 4

On 03/07/2020 at 16:50, carlospie said:

UHD frozen 2 is epic

It looks fabulous, haven’t seen it since at the cinema last year and if anything I enjoyed it more this time, made a real family event out of it :)

As someone who doesn't generally get much out of musicals, is this good enough to be worth a try anyway?

My wife is very keen to watch it tonight and I'd been planned to go in the other room and watch something else or play God of War, but the love this is getting is making me think I should maybe give it a whirl. 

At least give it the first three songs, I'd say - if it hasn't grabbed you by My Shot, it's probably not for you. (Personally I think it's as close to being a perfect show as any I've seen, not to overhype it or anything!)

• Upvote 2

I know absolutely nothing about musical theatre and was sceptical about how well it would even work filmed for TV - but Hamilton blew me away. It’s stunning. And there’s so much to take in. I can see I’m going to end up watching this over and over. 

Saw Hamilton in London and I don't think it lost too much on the Disney+ version. Plus Holden Ford is King George, which is amazing.

4 hours ago, wavey said:

At least give it the first three songs, I'd say - if it hasn't grabbed you by My Shot, it's probably not for you. (Personally I think it's as close to being a perfect show as any I've seen, not to overhype it or anything!)

Agreed. If My Shot doesn't get you then you're not gonna get much from it. I've listened to that song about 5 times today now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Agreed. If My Shot doesn't get you then you're not gonna get much from it. I've listened to that song about 5 times today now.

whereas I find it the first three songs far far better on the cast album than on film or live: there’s something about my shot that just feels rushed to me. If you get as far as helpless and satisfied though and haven’t got into it... stop.