rllmuk
Goose

Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

9 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

As someone who doesn't generally get much out of musicals, is this good enough to be worth a try anyway?

My wife is very keen to watch it tonight and I'd been planned to go in the other room and watch something else or play God of War, but the love this is getting is making me think I should maybe give it a whirl. 

I would say so, yes, but it starts strong so as the others have said, if you've watched twenty minutes or so and aren't enjoying it then bail out.

• Upvote 2

I'd been hoping to check out Hamilton at a theatre at some point, but I watched the Disney+ version last night and it was incredible. I'd still love to see it live some day, but there were shots in the filmed version that really benefited from close ups and stuff too. 

I was worried that watching the filmed version would lessen the impact of eventually seeing it live, but I think it's actually made me more excited.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

that really benefited from close ups and stuff too. 

The close ups on King Georges bottom lip right?

• Upvote 2

Can anyone recall when Onward is due in the UK?  Isn't it sometime this month?

Hamilton was great. Had heard a couple of songs, but not listened to the whole album, so most were a surprise and I loved it. 

I haven't had time to watch the show agian but I've been smashing the soundtrack all week.

I think I've listened to Wait For It about 20 times.

On 06/07/2020 at 15:52, Stigweard said:

The close ups on King Georges bottom lip right?

King George was amazing. I loved Lafayette too (then found out its Layton from Snowpiercer). The best rapper was Mulligan/Madison though

14 minutes ago, wev said:

King George was amazing. I loved Lafayette too (then found out its Layton from Snowpiercer). The best rapper was Mulligan/Madison though

Daveed Diggs is really great isn't he. I see him blowing up big time in the next couple years. Wouldn't be surpised to see him be offered an MCU role.

Just watched Hamilton again, dunno why but this time it hit me on a emotional level way more than the first time and had me crying at the end. Also I paid way more attention to Phillpa Soo this time, she is amazing and her character really holds the whole story together. 

Been reading some interesting theories on what the ending means. I like this one 

Spoiler

as she sings "who will tell my story" Lin Manuel Miranda is no longer playing Hamilton but is actually himself and he leads her to the front of the stage to show her the crowd and that he told her story. Thats what the surprised gasp at the end is. The rest of the cast are in white to represent that they past away but not him. 

• Upvote 4

After hearing the buzz about it for a long time, I couldn’t wait to see this and it did not disappoint. I watched it the day it came out, since then I’ve listened to the soundtrack a few times on Apple Music. Followed up with a 2nd showing earlier today. It’s a resonating story.

Standout songs for me.

My Shot

Who Lives, Who dies, Who tells your story :’(

Wait for It

The Room Where it happens

History Has it’s Eyes On You

What’d I Miss 

Some people have made some lovely animatics for this.

• Upvote 1

Watched Hamilton last night. Was into for about 45 minutes but it dips thereafter. Often felt like Reprise: The Musical. Certainly has creative moments (Congress rap battles!) but don’t think the messy, uneven tale warrants the ridiculous runtime.

Would have liked more King George spitting rhymes. And much, much less Eliza. Not bad but struggling to see what all the fuss is about.

• Upvote 3

After posting a while back about trying Hamilton out life got in the way, but the wife and I finally sat down with it last night for a "theatre night from home"... Unpopular opinion time but I thought it was very 'okay'.

I really like the boldness to tell the story largely through rap and hip-hop, and also bringing in the wide ethic diversity to tell a tale which in life was dominated by rich white men. I really hope other productions/films feel they can follow suit. There was also lots of the story that I didn't know, and it's engaged me enough to go read up some more about the Founding Fathers and how that period of history unfolded as my knowledge it sketchy. Also on the whole I thought the cast was pretty good too, specifically Aaron Burr, Angelica Schuyler and George Washington were standout performances for me and their ability to jump between more traditional show tune melody to tight and fast rap was excellent. I also thought there were a few lovely lyrical gems in there at times and some of the scenes were really creatively done (cabinet rap battles, 10 duel commandants).

However there are a few negative points which diluted it all for me. Firstly the runtime, I just don't see why that story had to be so long. Second I thought the set was very very dull and not dynamic at all like some productions I have enjoyed. Third, while I didn't actively dislike any of the songs, for me none of them really stood out and I can't think of any I'd be rushing back to listen to individually or as a full collection. But the big one (and I'm glad there isn't a neg button for this) is I just don't think Lin-Manual Miranda is very good in the lead role. He's obviously talented and some of his rapping was technically accurate, but I find his voice a little grating and his tone often felt a bit safe, flat and lacked edge, especially compared to some of the cast which properly sold it emotionally to me as well as being technically good. He just didn't draw me into it unfortunately which is a shame. Don't get me wrong, his writing is very good (Moana for example is a staple in our house) but I'm just not sure I like listening to him.

Interestingly my wife who really enjoys musicals (and knows way more about them than me) liked it even less than I did and actually fell asleep with about 40 minutes to go and isn't interested in finishing it. Her words this morning were "I'm really glad we didn't spend hundreds of pounds to go and see that in London" which is telling as she usually loves doing that. Maybe it's just not for us which is a shame as, given the hype we'd seen about it from various friends who have been and posts here, we were hoping to be blown away by it. Oh well. 

For everyone that does love it I'm really glad though. These things can be very subjective (it's what art is all about) and it's certainly won enough plaudits across the board for me to know I'm in the minority on this and probably 'watching it wrong'. :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I really loved Hamilton, have watched it twice and have the soundtrack (and the mixtape) constantly playing in the house.

But I agree, Miranda isn’t really all that and doesn’t have the voice for some of the big songs. His crying singing voice was annoying too. And I thought the first act was far better than the second.

Topic title: Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

Spider-Man Homecoming. 

Spider-Man Far from Home. 

You ain't got shit, Disney+! 

Hamilton is incredible. Been to see it twice at the West End and its probably the greatest thing I've ever seen live.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Topic title: Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

Spider-Man Homecoming. 

That's because they're both Sony movies, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Miranda being a weak point in the original cast isn’t neg worthy. It’s one of those things where you kind of wanted to see his alternate if you wanted the best show, and weren’t just there for the presence. Certainly the guy in London does “youth” and “age” far better, without a distracting singing voice.

34 minutes ago, Mogster said:

That's because they're both Sony movies, unfortunately.

I know, but you’d think they’d have worked something out. Ah well. 

5 hours ago, glb said:

And much, much less Eliza.

:blink:

I find that utterly baffling. She's the mains focus of 7 out of 46 songs and pops up in maybe 1 or 2 more. How much less of her do you want? The actress is amazingly talented and its as much Elizas story as it is Alexanders.

I also don't understand why people are complaining about the run time of the show. Most top Broadway shows run at around 2.5-3 hours. Maybe because watching it at home it doesn't translate as well and where you'd usually have like a 30 minute intermission in the theatre, here you have 1 minute.

I agree that LMM is the weakest singer but I think we're he lacks in those departments he makes up in his rapping and acting. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

:blink:

I find that utterly baffling. She's the mains focus of 7 out of 46 songs and pops up in maybe 1 or 2 more. How much less of her do you want? The actress is amazingly talented and its as much Elizas story as it is Alexanders.

0 songs?

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Spider-Man Homecoming. 

Thread title doesn't matter since this is the Hamilton thread anyhow.

All the Hamilton talk does it not have it's own dedicated thread?

Quick search says no.

There is now, have just added the trailer so if anyone want's to take over the new thread let me know?

@Stigweard?

Shall I move the exsisting posts or leave in this thread?

Why don't you want anyone talking about it in here? Worried it'll stifle any stimulating chat about Blackbeard's Ghost? 

• Upvote 1

The chat in here encouraged me to watch it, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it having it's own thread as it's going to generate a lot of chat and other people's recomendations could get lost.