Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

7 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

It’s double what I’d pay. Anyone who signs up for this is setting the trend for us all being fucked over down the line. 
The cinema analogy doesn’t work at all. That’s a family night out - change of scene, bit of excitement,  this is a night in that kid’s will just treat as any other. 15 quid, maybe, anymore, no way. 

it’s a UHD purchase plus five dollars.

There is a precisely 0% chance I'd pay £30 for a home release.

Cinema is an experience not just a film, and now with a lot of these £5 ticket deals has become more affordable again compared to the last few years. With so much content (more than I can actually find time to watch) available at home I can happily wait for something I want to come to Sky Store/iTunes/etc... about 3 months later for about £8. Or wait a bit longer and it'll probably be on a streaming service I already have.

£30 just seems crazy money to me.

On 07/08/2020 at 21:14, Dr Nookie said:

It’s double what I’d pay. Anyone who signs up for this is setting the trend for us all being fucked over down the line. 
The cinema analogy doesn’t work at all. That’s a family night out - change of scene, bit of excitement,  this is a night in that kid’s will just treat as any other. 15 quid, maybe, anymore, no way. 

£15 is about right.  Being in lockdown, we've rented stuff for the kids; Scoob (it was shiiiit) and Trolls World Tour (less shit, but not as good as the previous film) as sort of "a family treat".

The kids didn't really notice the difference from stuff they just watch on Prime or Disney+ (why should they?) so the overall effect is limited in that respect.

I'd personally stump £15 up for Tenet and Black Widow (now that masks are rightfully mandatory in theaters) but there is so little else out there I'd do that for.

Before the shit hit the fan me and the Mrs. were paying €29 each for Pathé Unlimited. Roll up whenever the fuck you feel like it and watch anything, including 3D and IMAX (it's €21 per month if you don't want that). Includes 25% discount on most snacks/drinks/sweeties.

$30 for one film is absolutely extortionate.

So you pay £30 to buy Mulan, not rent it.

But you can only watch it if you are an active Disney+ subscriber a well.

You either include all films in the subscription like Netflix, or offer a bit of both like Prime.

Good to see that Disney is still run by clueless imbeciles ignorant of what people want.

Exact same model they employ for the UFC in the US.

UFC pay-per-view events are only available via (Disney owned) ESPN+, so you need a subscription and then to buy the event on top. So they keep 100% of the revenue and no longer share it with the PPV distributors. Guess what? PPV buys have been through the roof with this model.

I want to see it, too, and Mulan (original) is one of my favourite Disney movies, but as good as the trailer looked, I'm not desperate to see it - certainly not £30 desperate, when I can wait a few months and watch it for free.

It's much the same reason I didn't pay £15.99 to rent trolls world tour: I'd rather wait until it's out properly and then pay to buy it.

The justification of it being the same as a trip to the cinema is such utter nonsense, as well. Yeah, maybe cost wise it's the same, but the experience, the excitement, the food and atmosphere...that's the difference you get at the cinema, not to mention the higher likelihood of your kid actually sitting still to watch the movie and not deciding that the major plot point is the best time to upend a tub full of megabloks onto the floor.

We've had a couple of "cinema" days at home since lockdown where we'll put hotdogs on, get popcorn in as well as sweets etc and as nice as it is, it's not the same as going to the actual cinema. 

28 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

The Mulan thing is just to soften audiences up to accept forking out pay-per-view fees on top of a subscription to an online streaming service. Which is how things will go before too long.

Sky & Amazon Prime already do it :(

• 2 weeks later...

So looks like Mulan will be available to purchase via other streaming services, not just through Disney+

'A Disney rep confirmed to Variety that for purchases of “Mulan” made on the Disney Plus app through the in-app payment systems of Apple’s App Store, Google Play and Roku, Disney will be subject to transaction fees taken by each of those platforms.'

Nothing about Amazon yet though.

Edit, looks like I didn't grasp the information from the article correctly, see @Mogster post below.

6 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

So looks like Mulan will be available to purchase via other streaming services, not just through Disney+

'A Disney rep confirmed to Variety that for purchases of “Mulan” made on the Disney Plus app through the in-app payment systems of Apple’s App Store, Google Play and Roku, Disney will be subject to transaction fees taken by each of those platforms.'

Nothing about Amazon yet though.

I think that's just saying that purchases on iOS, Android and Roku will be subject to the usual platform holder fees. It's still going to be restricted to Disney+.

17 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I think that's just saying that purchases on iOS, Android and Roku will be subject to the usual platform holder fees. It's still going to be restricted to Disney+.

Ah OK, I must have read it incorrectly, my apologies.

The kids have pretty much stopped watching Disney Plus, but I'll probably have to renew next year.  My son's autistic and he still loves to type words in the really big search box they have.  :)

Pretty confident that they care up with that price by dividing how much money they need to make for this to not be an embarrassment, by the number of Disney+ subscribers whose viewing histories suggest they might shell out.

6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Pretty confident that they care up with that price by dividing how much money they need to make for this to not be an embarrassment, by the number of Disney+ subscribers whose viewing histories suggest they might shell out.

I'd pay that price for a MCU movie. 

7 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Just got the email from Disney about Mulan Premier Access... September 4th and £19.99 over here.

Cheaper than I thought it would be. We're likely paying it because it will mean three households will get it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2020 at 21:19, Gambit said:

Does anyone else have problems with the app on PS4? Its fucking abysmal. Constantly freezing with the audio still playing, cutting out completely. Awful.

My daughter subscribes to this and we just installed this our PS4 (Pro) to watch something on the 5.1 system and it is fucking stuttering wank.

Did a quick google around, yep it's been broken since launch. 

Just got 6 months free with my phone plan, that’ll do nicely, through Xmas. Seems like a nice variety movie wise (as the nights draw in, I reckon The Love Bug will be a much needed injection of Californian sunshine), and I see Return to Oz is on there, which is AWESOME. 

Bit gutted Watcher in the Woods isn’t on there; maybe they’ll add it around Halloween?

Whole family excited about The Mandalorian, too. 

Does anyone else have problems with the app on PS4? Its fucking abysmal. Constantly freezing with the audio still playing, cutting out completely. Awful.

It's absolutely woeful. Resolution RARELY goes above 720p for no reason whatsoever, and that's over wired and wifi. Tried clearing cache but NOPE!

XB1 app is perfect, thank fuck.

The app is pretty awful all round. On my Samsung KS7000 it only provides HD, despite Netflix and Amazon happily serving up 4K and HDR. Like many others I'm forced to run the app on my Xbox to actually use the features of my TV.

Kind of regret signing up for the annual pass, I've run out of things to watch & the kids have gone back to Netflix/Youtube.

Just logged in and remembered to cancel my automatic renewal.