IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

Yeah, unless @Mentazm knows something that most tech analysts / TMT fund managers don't, I think it's fair to say he's wrong about Netflix.

https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/17/06/9631571/analysis-why-netflix-remains-best-idea-in-the-media-indu

Loooooooooads of analysts and fund managers think they are massively overpriced.

Thinking about it though, if ever increasing sums of monies are needed to keep fancy original content afloat, then I think I'm OK with that business model going away. Or, rather, leaving it to someone else to subsidize. I've got Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and Crunchyroll (I borrow HBO), and it's more content than I can ever hope to watch.

*and HBO, Starz et al are probably in a better position here, because they're not really licensing endless pots of content, just enough to keep people subbing outside of the duration of a major series

We're in a bit of a funny place with content over here, where arguably (and I think I've said this before) it's apparently worth more money to HBO to have someone pay them to prevent the majority of people paying to watch their content than the revenue they'd make just launching HBO Go directly in the EU.

11 hours ago, Goose said:

At some point a company will come along and offer you access to all of them for $50 a month (though I highly doubt it)

I was just thinking this and about to post something similar. I think with more fragmentation of services, what's likely to happen is you'll have someone like Apple and Amazon try to integrate them into their systems where you just look for a film or tv show and it offers you ways of watching it. Either you got it, can rent/buy it, or subscribe to something. 

They're already doing similar with Netflix where they come up in search results. It's better than having a shit ton of crap, flaky apps like we have now. The catch will be is if they trap you into having to use Amazon or Apple forever, or subscriptions can transfer over to different devices. 

11 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I was just thinking this and about to post something similar. I think with more fragmentation of services, what's likely to happen is you'll have someone like Apple and Amazon try to integrate them into their systems where you just look for a film or tv show and it offers you ways of watching it. Either you got it, can rent/buy it, or subscribe to something. 

They're already doing similar with Netflix where they come up in search results. It's better than having a shit ton of crap, flaky apps like we have now. The catch will be is if they trap you into having to use Amazon or Apple forever, or subscriptions can transfer over to different devices. 

I think you're right.  If we must (and I would prefer not to) move away from a fairly unified Netflix led approach (although with Prime, Hula etc. the time for a single unified subscription may have already passed then a system whereby everything is accessible from a single interface is the best approach.  Kind of how with Sky you have the box and can have the basic package but you can also subscribe to Sport, Film, Entertainment plus and it all comes from the same interface.

If the pricing is right then such an approach can work.  We may all bemoan the prospect of individual subscriptions for every studio although equally, if FX set their rate at $3, Disney $5, Warner Bros $4, HBO $10, Netflix originals $4 then it gives customers the freedom to pick and choose exactly what content they want.  And then give customers an all you can eat approach at a small discount. 

It will though need a unified platform to make it work.  Subscribing to Warner Bros for $4 might work if it is as simple as clicking a button.  It won't work if you have to make a new account, download new and different software and apps and the whole thing is a hassle. 

I'd love a service where you could, say, subscribe for £5 a month and you get a certain amount of credits. You could then watch a new film and pay 3 credits, an old film for 2 credits or maybe TV episodes for a credit, I don't know. The principle being the various IP-holders get their cut based on what people watch, but to the consumer it's one sub and a simple selection. No tiered buy/rent/sub nonsense, no crap search results full of roadblocks.

It would get over any competition rules as companies would still have to compete for views to get paid. Mind you, they may not like only getting paid when people watch stuff, preferring people just giving them money every month even if they watch one thing. And companies would only populate it with stuff that gets them credits, so no treasure trove of obscure old stuff like we were promised at the birth of the digital age. And there would be no control of the message from companies, they can run campaigns on their own services whereas they'd be competing for space on a shared service.

Oh well, it'll never fly precisely because it's too pro-consumer. It puts all the power in the viewer's hands. I thought that's how a market economy was supposed to work but who am I kidding?

Something has to give. Either companies think we're all going to spend a tenner a month on their services or consumers get a wide easily-accessed selection.

Whilst Netflix and co have had an effect on Bittorrent, the rise of the "Kodi box" is on-going. Even normal non-techy people know about them, and it's as easy as buying a box, running a plug-in and watching a film. It's never been easier.

• 4 weeks later...

As it all fragments because they all want a bigger slice of the pie, and we end up with stuff costing as much as cable/satellite, I hope they find people aren't having it. I'm not paying separately for CBS All Access for the new Star Trek, and I'm sure as hell not paying for a Disney subscription service (unless they throw it in free as part of your login for your cable sub, but that's not how the CBS one works).

On 8/9/2017 at 11:10, Mentazm said:

Does Netflix really want to be known as being full of lowest common denominator shite though? It should be aiming higher like hbo.

Well they did extend their deal with Adam Sandler this year, so the data clearly tells them something the critics and detractors don't as to what actually works.

Straight from the source:

In 2014, the multi-hyphenate actor, writer, producer and occasional singer-songwriter set his sights on conquering the streaming world and his films have found enormous success on Netflix. Sandler's first two Netflix films, The Ridiculous 6 and The Do-Over, are the biggest film releases for the service.

On 10/08/2017 at 09:33, AK Bell said:

I thought the new Apple TV did this anyway? You search for a film or TV program and it tells you what service it's on like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc - and if you've got access to it or not (I've only got the old Apple TV, but I'm sure the new one does this). Kind of like a meta search thing.

17 hours ago, moora said:

I thought the new Apple TV did this anyway? You search for a film or TV program and it tells you what service it's on like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc - and if you've got access to it or not (I've only got the old Apple TV, but I'm sure the new one does this). Kind of like a meta search thing.

Yeah, Amazon Fire does a decent job now of bringing up Netflix films in searches too. But I think it's more the buying and subscribing from several sources under one roof as seamlessly as possible that'll be the trick. 

• 1 month later...

Future Marvel shows will go exclusively to the Disney streaming service according to the Wall St Journal. No word on current Netflix produced shows (Daredevil etc) but it’s expected that once their deal ends next year sometime, the current shows will also move over. This is also why Disney tried to buy pieces of 20th Century Fox - to directly compete with Netflix for content.

13 hours ago, Goose said:

Future Marvel shows will go exclusively to the Disney streaming service according to the Wall St Journal. No word on current Netflix produced shows (Daredevil etc) but it’s expected that once their deal ends next year sometime, the current shows will also move over. This is also why Disney tried to buy pieces of 20th Century Fox - to directly compete with Netflix for content.

The Marvel shows have been getting worse with each series (all of them, not just Netflix). If you like Star Wars, you buy the films. Same goes with their other movies. As I said before, if you already collect the bits and bobs you like (hey, it's still Disney quality) then the streaming seems an unnecessary charge to pay for the stuff you won't watch. 

So no wonder they're trying to bolster their library. That Fox deal makes a lot more sense now just to fill up with content. 

18 hours ago, Goose said:

I assume this is just going to be a bulked up Disney Life?

This will probably push me into cancelling Netflix (at least not having a constant ongoing subscription)- not that I've greatly enjoyed the last couple of Marvel series, but with the lack of movies on Netflix now - I'm struggling to find that much stuff I want to watch and it probably cheaper to get my kids the NOW TV Kids sub.

I can see all the streaming providers having to incentivise staying with them for a long period as I can see myself just jumping between them month on month (1 month Netflix, 1 month Amazon, 1 month Disney, etc). 

• 2 months later...