Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

9 hours ago, Benny said:

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of why companies offer free trials.

To let stingy cheapskates watch stuff for free without having to anything which could be considered illegal?

Or maybe, just maybe, it's so a consumer can trial a service as a one-off to see what it's like before deciding if they would subsequently like to use it in future for any other shows on it.

So we got up to Avengers on our re-watch last night. As I‘ve got it on UHD disc I stuck it into the One X. Unfortunately there must have been a scratch or some shite on the disc as the picture started breaking up early on.

Switched to Disney+ and fuck me, the picture quality was arguably way better than the UHD to my eyes. Not sure why? The UHD is 2k DI, HDR and Disney+ is (4k?) Dolby Vision, so maybe that’s why?

Unfortunately we had another problem as Disney+ suddenly downgraded after a while to crappy VHS quality, so we switched back to the disc which was now luckily past the scratchy bit. Picture restored and got to see Agent Coulson stabbed in full.

Not the seamless experience we’d hoped for but an interesting forced comparison.

Given that we have young kids, Disney Plus is great value for them alone. However, aside from Free Solo (which I'd already seen anyway) I've not yet found anything I'm especially keen to watch. I know many here like it, but I'm not enjoying The Mandalorian at all so far. 

31 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

So we got up to Avengers on our re-watch last night. As I‘ve got it on UHD disc I stuck it into the One X. Unfortunately there must have been a scratch or some shite on the disc as the picture started breaking up early on.

Switched to Disney+ and fuck me, the picture quality was arguably way better than the UHD to my eyes. Not sure why? The UHD is 2k DI, HDR and Disney+ is (4k?) Dolby Vision, so maybe that’s why?

Unfortunately we had another problem as Disney+ suddenly downgraded after a while to crappy VHS quality, so we switched back to the disc which was now luckily past the scratchy bit. Picture restored and got to see Agent Coulson stabbed in full.

Not the seamless experience we’d hoped for but an interesting forced comparison.

The 4K Blu-rays don’t have Dolby Vision, but they should come from the same master.

45 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The 4K Blu-rays don’t have Dolby Vision, but they should come from the same master.

Oh right, the Dolby Vision made the picture loads better in that case. Colours were way more vibrant with blacker blacks. The UHD looked washed out in comparison.

5 hours ago, Benny said:

Or maybe, just maybe, it's so a consumer can trial a service as a one-off to see what it's like before deciding if they would subsequently like to use it in future for any other shows on it.

Fingers crossed!

5 hours ago, pledge said:

Why is that a problem? They offer it at no commitment. It doesn't say "oh please don't watch a whole series of something".

There isn’t a problem with it in the slightest.

My point was it’s not really any less morally ambiguous as just pirating the show so why make any pretence, and indeed wait another 3 weeks when it’s freely available from the usual sources.

8 hours ago, womblingfree said:

That’s interesting, every film I’ve watched is significantly worse compared to my physical versions. I wonder if it’s the Xbox.

It’s particularly noticeable on animated stuff like moana. I’d ditch my physical films in a moment if streaming could match their quality. Someone did a test on the Star Wars films against the Disney plus versions and in some cases the physical releases were transferring 3 times as much data.

edit. Actually Disney+ does do Dolby vision which would potentially offer a brighter picture over the non Dolby physical, but i’m  still unconvinced by the transfer data. 

Chinny reckon on anyone actually getting proper 4K currently. 

Dolby Vision popping up on your screen means eff all resolution wise, incidentally. 

I've sampled quite a bit of their UHD streams, and they're all shit. 

Obviously that'll change at some point, when they stop hammering the bitrate. 

The only thing I've watched to completion, is all the older Herbie movies. 

6 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Dolby Vision popping up on your screen means eff all resolution wise, incidentally. 

HDTV Test / EvilBoris did some videos on it before and for some of the content they basically stuck it in the DV container and then there's no actual HDR in that film/show at all.

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

There isn’t a problem with it in the slightest.

My point was it’s not really any less morally ambiguous as just pirating the show so why make any pretence, and indeed wait another 3 weeks when it’s freely available from the usual sources.

apart from the one option being legal and not morally ambiguous at all and the other being the complete opposite. Let the poor guy watch the show..it's fab btw.

3 minutes ago, Gordzilla said:

apart from the one option being legal and not morally ambiguous at all and the other being the complete opposite. Let the poor guy watch the show..it's fab btw.

Yes it is fab.  And I watched it at time of broadcast being a naughty dirty pirate but I also now have paid Disney a years subscription to their service as soon as they offered it. I don't feel morally superior by having done this, I just find it amusing those who berate those who pirate and then do this sort of thing.

My point, is that people being precious about piracy but happy to exploit any other loop hole are no better then those they berate and I'm kind of lost as to the logic.

For those that care, I've enabled the Developer menu on my Apple TV 4K and put Avengers: Endgame on. It says that I'm being sent a 1440p stream. Video bitrate is around 9 Mbps. It still looks fantastic and I wouldn't have guessed that it wasn't native.

44 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

For those that care, I've enabled the Developer menu on my Apple TV 4K and put Avengers: Endgame on. It says that I'm being sent a 1440p stream. Video bitrate is around 9 Mbps. It still looks fantastic and I wouldn't have guessed that it wasn't native.

The vast majority of 4k films are rarely actually 4k, particularly if they are super effects heavy (it’s simply too expensive and time extensive). That’s not to say that a lot of 2k intermediates don’t look great and I still feel personally that a lot of them are a significant improvement over the 1080p blu-Ray.

Me and the wife have started watching the Marvel films in chronological order as per the most further up thread, done Captain America: First Avenger and just watched Captain Marvel, what a great film that is and glad we watched it in context of the rest of the films, a really pleasant surprise as I hadn't heard much about it prior to watching.

Brie Larson was great and it raised several chuckles throughout.

2 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Chinny reckon on anyone actually getting proper 4K currently. 

I've sampled quite a bit of their UHD streams, and they're all shit. 

Obviously that'll change at some point, when they stop hammering the bitrate. 

The only thing I've watched to completion, is all the older Herbie movies. 

The PS4 and Xbox apps have been utter shite quality but for some reason the Disney+ app on my LG has been great, although it did degrade after a while yesterday.

On 18/04/2020 at 20:49, dreamylittledream said:

Yes it is fab.  And I watched it at time of broadcast being a naughty dirty pirate but I also now have paid Disney a years subscription to their service as soon as they offered it. I don't feel morally superior by having done this, I just find it amusing those who berate those who pirate and then do this sort of thing.

My point, is that people being precious about piracy but happy to exploit any other loop hole are no better then those they berate and I'm kind of lost as to the logic.

Cancelling a free trial that says “CANCEL AT ANY TIME!” is not a “loophole.” Waiting until you can watch all of a show they are advertising to draw you in is no more devious than waiting until Frozen 2 is on there and using it to watch that. 

The state of this thread. The only things “stingy” about the 7 day Disney+ trial are the fact that it’s only 7 days when their competitors are giving a month, and their persisting with the weekly release of a show that came out months ago. It’s almost as if they know they’ve not got enough content for anyone without kids.