IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Star Wars and Marvel films are on Netflix right now. 

I'm a Disney Life subscriber so hoping this replaces rather than subscribing for Netflix as well. Plus Disney should have everything available all the time (hopefully).

19 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Star Wars and Marvel films are on Netflix right now. 

When the current deal lapses, much like Marvel's TV stuff, they won't be in the future. They recently announced that all future Marvel films will not be licensed to Netflix:

The beginning of the No-Netflix Era for Disney is officially at hand.

Captain Marvel, which comes out March 8, will be the first title held back from Netflix and instead ticketed for Disney+, the high-profile streaming service coming by the end of 2019, CEO Bob Iger confirmed Tuesday. CFO Christine McCarthy estimated the “forgone” licensing opportunity from this and other releases in 2019 would cut operating income by about $150 million.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/disney-says-captain-marvel-will-be-first-pic-held-back-from-netflix-expects-150m-profit-hit-in-2019-1202550358/

They even have a dedicated Sky Movies Disney.

I suspect that channel may go, but Disney movies probably won't completely disappear from traditional channels. I'm not sure if they intend to change things, but first-run premium cable/satellite is sort of a different segment of the market, so I can see Sky premiers of big movies before they go streaming still being a thing. I don't know about the long term prospect of them being on Sky on-demand services though.

Now TV recently asked whether I'd do a survey which took ages to answer. The survey was essentially asking how we'd feel if they took out 20th Century Fox films, Disney and other content and created separate subscription channels charging extra for them (£6.99). Obviously I answered that it would be crap, but then they said later in the survey that they would replace it with films like James Bond and a few other older films and would that be ok? :mellow: At the end of the day, I said I'd cancel if it came to that and I imagine those people which took the time to answer would give the same responses. I can understand that they might not have much option aside from doing this, but Now TV would become a lot less attractive if they removed half the content which makes it appealing in the first place. I might wait for them to remove it then cancel and see what Disney come up with as so far it's looking decent.

I completed the same survey and even though it said they were just thinking of options it was clear that these add-on packs in some form are coming. It was extremely confusing even for someone who knows which companies produce which shows already. I also said I'd cancel to most options.

I doubt many made it to the end of the survey it was so long. You could enter the prize draw anyway..

The Netflix Marvel TV Universe was gritty in parts and had the chance of bringing all kinds of side characters into the frame; Bullseye, Shades, Nuke, Hellcat are the ones I can remember. Sad we might not see any of them developed further, and sad that Disney’s kiddie friendly ethos might see the end of anything remotely adult in nature.

I’d love to see a decent adult Old Man Logan/X-23 crossover.

Since Disney (mainly Pixar and Marvel) films are the main things I watch on NowTV movies, and they’re putting the price up by £2 a month, this really doesn’t look good for Sky.

So I just signed up for Disney Deluxe, which seems to be Disney Japan's version of Disney Plus. 

Currently the Marvel roster is:

Avengers Infinity War

Black Panther

Thor Ragnarok

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Doctor Strange

Civil War

Ant Man

Avengers Age of Ultron

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America Winter Soldier

Thor Dark World

Iron Man 3

Avengers

Captain America First Avenger

Thor

Iron Man 2

Marvel 75 years from pulp to pop! (whatever that is...)

Iron Man Captain America Heroes United (some cartoon)

Iron Man Hulk Heroes United (some cartoon)

Agents of Shield seasons 1 and 2

Agent Carter

Runaways

Avengers Assemble (cartoon)

Future Avengers (cartoon)

Guardians of the Galaxy (cartoon)

Rocket and Groot (cartoon)

Hulk Smash (cartoon)

Spider-Man (cartoon)

Marvel Rising (cartoon)

I guess it is missing the Hulk and the Spider-Man movies and the latest couple of movies (Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Star Wars roster is:

Solo

Resistance

Rebels

Force of Destiny

Clone Wars

Freemakers

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

Rogue One

So weirdly A New Hope is not there, presumably because of some weird JP only licensing issue.

Also has Disney animated movies, live action movies, Disney Channel programming

Currently on a free trial; usually about 800 yen per month I think.

2 hours ago, Tourist said:

So I just signed up for Disney Deluxe, which seems to be Disney Japan's version of Disney Plus. 

Currently the Marvel roster is:

Avengers Infinity War

Black Panther

Thor Ragnarok

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Doctor Strange

Civil War

Ant Man

Avengers Age of Ultron

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America Winter Soldier

Thor Dark World

Iron Man 3

Avengers

Captain America First Avenger

Thor

Iron Man 2

Marvel 75 years from pulp to pop! (whatever that is...)

Iron Man Captain America Heroes United (some cartoon)

Iron Man Hulk Heroes United (some cartoon)

Agents of Shield seasons 1 and 2

Agent Carter

Runaways

Avengers Assemble (cartoon)

Future Avengers (cartoon)

Guardians of the Galaxy (cartoon)

Rocket and Groot (cartoon)

Hulk Smash (cartoon)

Spider-Man (cartoon)

Marvel Rising (cartoon)

I guess it is missing the Hulk and the Spider-Man movies and the latest couple of movies (Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Star Wars roster is:

Solo

Resistance

Rebels

Force of Destiny

Clone Wars

Freemakers

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

Rogue One

So weirdly A New Hope is not there, presumably because of some weird JP only licensing issue.

Also has Disney animated movies, live action movies, Disney Channel programming

Currently on a free trial; usually about 800 yen per month I think.

Not Japan only - until very recently 20th Centry Fox owned A New Hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they're going to offer a similar or possibly better offering than Netflix in terms of content and price. But I wonder how they will stack up technically? Part of the reason why everyone has Netflix (even if they're using someone else's password) is because it works on their TV they bought five years ago, and movies load fast and look great even on 4.3Mb/s ADSL. No-one has managed to get even close to this. Not Amazon, not the BBC, not HBO. They won't have the benefit of ramping up slowly either - they're going to have tens of millions of customers in the first week after fully launching I would imagine. Will be interesting to see how / if they handle it... and how many of Netflix's open source tools they end up using!

The other prob they have is all their content will be nice safe family friendly fare, which is fine if that’s all you want, but sometimes I’m in the mood for a bit of cussing, ultraviolence and nudey bits in my films and TV.

5 hours ago, Liamness said:

It looks like they're going to offer a similar or possibly better offering than Netflix in terms of content and price. But I wonder how they will stack up technically? Part of the reason why everyone has Netflix (even if they're using someone else's password) is because it works on their TV they bought five years ago, and movies load fast and look great even on 4.3Mb/s ADSL. No-one has managed to get even close to this. Not Amazon, not the BBC, not HBO. They won't have the benefit of ramping up slowly either - they're going to have tens of millions of customers in the first week after fully launching I would imagine. Will be interesting to see how / if they handle it... and how many of Netflix's open source tools they end up using!

Don't the own Hulu, which is a similar kind of thing?

@Mike1812

I'll admit I had kind of forgotten about them entirely as they're not available over here. But it does seem like they're not using any tech from Hulu, but from a company they own most of called "BAMTech" which is currently mostly involved in streaming sports. I can't really comment on whether either of these offer the same reliability / quality as Netflix's streams, obviously. From what I understand Hulu is basically for syndicated Network TV dramas and sitcom mostly, so it possibly hasn't come under the same scrutiny from home cinema nerds like Netflix has.

Hulu is a bit more than that. You can sign up and watch most of the big US TV channels live through the service. It also has an additional PVR function.

Plus Disney already has Disney Life in the UK (which has been running for over 4 years) and other ventures around the world which I'm sure they've been using to test their network so it is ready when Disney Plus launches.