Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

On 23/02/2021 at 17:45, Sarlaccfood said:

If you do start watching I recommend listening to the X-Files Files podcast to go along with it. Kumail Nanjiani and a guest talk about each episode and just generally discuss the era it was released, pulling up old message board posts from the time the episode aired and stuff like that.

It really is interesting and funny and reminds you how different and mysterious the world was back in the 90s and how effective/scary it made the X-files. Not being able to just google the paranormal stuff the episode would be based on. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/kumail-nanjianis-the-x-files-files/id885275285

Had to buy a copy of Fortean Times!

54 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Naturally the first thing I watch of all this new stuff is Deep Rising. Pretty sure I've only ever seen the ending.

Famke Jannsen, Djimon Hounsou, Sagat from the Street Fighter movie, what a cast!

We had this taped off satellite back in the 1990s and revisiting it this week, it's still an excellent bit of adventure movie nonsense.

15 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Anyone found anything good yet? Don't know if the whole catalogue comes up when you're browsing or if you have to search to find some stuff. But I flicked through all the channels and didn't find a whole lot of stuff I'm desperate to see. Watched Grosse Point Blank and Kingsman so far but that's about it. 

The Favourite is an amazing film and one of the few titles that doesn't seem to be from the 90's/early 2000's to boot.

I'm not one for period dramas and usually find Olivia Colman deeply irritating but she is absolutely brilliant in this as are the entire cast tbf.

On 23/02/2021 at 13:38, Garwoofoo said:

Is X-Files worth watching in this day and age for someone who's never seen it before? I remember it being huge in the early 90s but there's absolutely loads of it on there - 9 seasons and 2 movies - did it really go on that long?

Worth giving it a go for sure.  I’m a huge fan and I’m really pleased to see it has a decent remaster here, my iTunes series 1 doesn’t look this good. :) 

9 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I know what you mean but she's brilliant in several things (The Night Manager for instance).

Nope, only managed two or three episodes of that before my deep irritation overcame me.

Was that the one where she was murdering an accent?

Finally watched Grosse point blank (very much of it's time!) And the thin red line, only Martha May Marlene (is that right?) Is the only other thing I've not seen it interested in. 

On 23/02/2021 at 13:38, Garwoofoo said:

Is X-Files worth watching in this day and age for someone who's never seen it before? I remember it being huge in the early 90s but there's absolutely loads of it on there - 9 seasons and 2 movies - did it really go on that long?

The first 3 or 4 seasons are still amazing TV. It does go downhill to the point that even though I watched it all the way through as it came out, I can't even remember what happened in the later seasons, but it very much ends up in "flogging a dead horse" territory. I'd say watch up to the first film then read Wikipedia synopsis if you want to find out how the story ends (as with Lost). 

Largely agree with @Anne Summers however there are some absolute bangers in series 6, if you appreciate the lighter hearted episodes (Dreamland, How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, The Unnatural, Arcadia, Three of a Kind) plus some other great one shots like SR 819.  The mythology stuff though had got a little silly.

For me, Season 7’s Closure is the mark of where it really starts to lose its stride, that said I do still really enjoy 8/9 in their own very different way.

Disney+ has the 9 seasons which represent the original run.  The movies are both on there too, with the first film sitting between Season 5 and 6 and being excellent.  The second film is after season 9 and is creepy as anything.  And then there’s season 10 and 11 which are new and I’ve still not seen 11!

21 hours ago, Mike S said:

Nope, only managed two or three episodes of that before my deep irritation overcame me.

Was that the one where she was murdering an accent?

She's the same in everything, except The Crown, where she just sucks a lemon.

Is Burn Notice good? I mean, it has Bruce Campbell in it so I assume, yes?

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Largely agree with @Anne Summers however there are some absolute bangers in series 6, if you appreciate the lighter hearted episodes (Dreamland, How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, The Unnatural, Arcadia, Three of a Kind) plus some other great one shots like SR 819.  The mythology stuff though had got a little silly.

For me, Season 7’s Closure is the mark of where it really starts to lose its stride, that said I do still really enjoy 8/9 in their own very different way.

Disney+ has the 9 seasons which represent the original run.  The movies are both on there too, with the first film sitting between Season 5 and 6 and being excellent.  The second film is after season 9 and is creepy as anything.  And then there’s season 10 and 11 which are new and I’ve still not seen 11!

Season 11 was appalling and the low point of the show.

Spoiler

Everything that happened in Season 10 was a dream/vision by Scully. Or Mulder? I can't quite remember. It was a great way to fuck everybody off right from the start.

If you want to browse everything that's on Stars, you have to use the browsing bar at the top level of the app. It does include all the Disney stuff as well unfortunately, but you can get a straight up A-Z of everything in every category from there.

I lit

8 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

If you want to browse everything that's on Stars, you have to use the browsing bar at the top level of the app. It does include all the Disney stuff as well unfortunately, but you can get a straight up A-Z of everything in every category from there.

I literally got as far as the first screen and saw family guy 

that’s as far as I need to go that’s going to keep me busy for a while I’ve only ever seen the odd episode 

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Hide contents

Everything that happened in Season 10 was a dream/vision by Scully. Or Mulder? I can't quite remember. It was a great way to fuck everybody off right from the start.

Haha what a load of tosh :lol: 

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

I seem to remember enjoying the first season. Silly fun is how I'd sum it up. But it wasn't anything amazing.

I'd put this in a dedicated thread if I could find one but search won't work.

Just finished series 1 of 24. I watched it a few years after its original release and after starting series 2 have up about half way through. It was just too annoying. It's good at its best but my god there's so much stupid.

And my god watching series 1 now reminds me just how much stupid. Let's not get started on the continual lack of information sharing around a department meaning no one seems to know what's going on, EVER, and skip right to the end of the finale...

Spoiler

Nina trying to escape the building.

Put the building on lockdown. Okay.

But all that seems to a really do is starting s big loud alarm. She leaves a room and shoots a dopey security guard. Walls to the garage exit and finds the one dumpy guard on the phone and shoots him. Like fucking hell. Is there no actual security?

Okay, all plays out. Nina arrested. Jack returns to co ference room to see Kim. Yay! For once she's not kidnapped again or whatever.

But where's Teri? Hmm best go look...

Pass all the agents aimlessly wandering around the main floor. Cannot tell if they're celebrating that it's all done or blissfully unaware that anything abnormal has just happened, or even if today was as dull as every other.

Hmm, wander round corridors. Casually find two security guards trying to save the life of the first one Nina shot. No real urgency. Don't seem to have called for help and hence the rest of the building is just back to normal whilst some people are dying in the hallways. I mean fine. Who needs to sweep the building after an armed traitor has just been arrested trying to escape.

Oh look, Teri had been shot and no one found her. No fucking wonder as if your name isn't Jack you're incapable of having an independent thought and doing anything but follow your daily NPC routine.

(I probably didn't need to spoiler this 20 years after its release but no harm).

The show is fine for the most part. I can generally turn a blind eye to it's stupidity but my god. In the space of 10 minutes at the end it's a joke.

/rant

6 hours ago, Gambit said:

Reveal hidden contents

Love burn notice but I think I stopped watching after 3 seasons. I might start again. It’s very enjoyable 

Burn Notice is great and sticks to its formula so if you like the first few episodes you'll like the series. This is also the perfect opportunity to post this (there is a spoiler in the first 50 seconds for Burn Notice and some light spoilers in regards to guest casting throughout). I watched all of the dumb identikit USA shows like Burn Notice, Suits and White Collar when they originally aired back when I got tv from the high seas and they were all perfect comfort tv. 

I've just finished the first season of Castle again and I enjoyed it a lot and definitely recommend it if you like crime procedurals with some lightness to them, in the first few seasons at least. 

On 25/02/2021 at 19:40, Jammy said:

I’ve spent the last 6 months running through Scrubs from beginning to end on E4/4Music. Still largely excellent.

Answering my own question from earlier: All4 has the version with the original music, Disney has the changed. According to Reddit they are working on getting it upgraded to HD and relicense the original music. So I'm going to wait for another rewatch.  It's not a huge deal but some of the scenes are written with tracks in mind.

1 hour ago, pledge said:

Answering my own question from earlier: All4 has the version with the original music, Disney has the changed. According to Reddit they are working on getting it upgraded to HD and relicense the original music. So I'm going to wait for another rewatch.  It's not a huge deal but some of the scenes are written with tracks in mind.

I can only speak for the first few episodes because they’ve started from the beginning again on 4Music, and I forgot to turn series link off, but episodes 1-3 on D+ and 4Music match, with David Grey’s ‘Babylon’ playing in the ‘on-call’ montage in the pilot, Leroy’s ‘Good Time’ in ep2, and Erasure’s ‘A Little Respect’ in ep3. Although that one would have been really weird without it, since the characters spend half the episode singing lines from it. That might change as it goes on, but so far they’re the same. I did notice a tiny difference in pitch in the theme tune between terrestrial and streaming; presumably PAL broadcast vs native ? 

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

I've just finished the first season of Castle again and I enjoyed it a lot and definitely recommend it if you like crime procedurals with some lightness to them, in the first few seasons at least. 

Man, I hated it when Castle did dramatic episodes.