IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

On 05/04/2021 at 14:55, pledge said:

Maybe this is show specific but I'm constantly pressing continue watching to end up resuming the credits of the last episode I was on. If there's less than 1 minute of a show left that's probably not what I want. There's also no next episode button on my app until the credits are basically over as well.

31 minutes ago, probotector said:

Sees to have the opposite problem to the Netflix app that seems to want to push you to the next part ASAP when you want to soak in the credits etc 

I'm glad that it doesn't try and automatically start the next episode, or flash up a big obtrusive NEXT EPISODE button. I'm suspicious of things that try to helpfully automate things like that. When I used to have Amazon Prime, whenever I wanted to rewind/pause the credits to read them properly, I always had to be careful to make sure my press of the Enter button really did pause it instead of skipping to the next episode.

On Disney+ (cast from the Android app to a Chromecast), what I've found is that even if I let an episode play until the very end of both the main credits and the various language credits, the "Continue Watching" list on the main menu sometimes shows that fully-watched episode with 1 min remaining, instead of displaying the next episode.

Have some X-Men movies vanished? I could have sworn First Class (the next one for us watching in order) was on there a week or so ago, but no sign tonight. Same with the one where Wolverine is in Japan (or something along those lines; haven’t seen that since the cinema release).

10 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Have some X-Men movies vanished? I could have sworn First Class (the next one for us watching in order) was on there a week or so ago, but no sign tonight. Same with the one where Wolverine is in Japan (or something along those lines; haven’t seen that since the cinema release).

Just searched: The Wolverine is showing up as available for me, in the UK.

But X-Men First Class isn't. A Google search for it brings up a DisneyPlus.com page for the film; on my phone, clicking the link and choosing to open it in the D+ app brings up a "the requested media is not available" error message, and opening it in my browser just brings up the film's description.

Are you sure it showed up as available a few weeks ago? Because here's a Reddit post, made in early March, asking why wasn't available on Disney+ in the UK:

Well, with First Class if I’m wrong I’m wrong! I guess I just didn’t notice it’s absence from the big jumbled list of X-Men movies until it was actually time to watch it.
Then with The Wolverine, I must have typed “Wolverine” in the search box last week when we wanted to watch ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine’ and so seen it listed, then this week noticed its absence when I searched for X-Men because it doesn’t have that in the title or as a tag, so simply just doesn’t show in the results.

On 12/04/2021 at 09:04, MrPogo said:

Well, with First Class if I’m wrong I’m wrong! I guess I just didn’t notice it’s absence from the big jumbled list of X-Men movies until it was actually time to watch it.
Then with The Wolverine, I must have typed “Wolverine” in the search box last week when we wanted to watch ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine’ and so seen it listed, then this week noticed its absence when I searched for X-Men because it doesn’t have that in the title or as a tag, so simply just doesn’t show in the results.

That’s weird, yeah sure I’m in a different country but.

E9520382-F1B0-4882-8CF9-EF89178ACEE3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Nomad land is now available to watch, somehow without premium payment options. 

Really hypnotic viewing. Frances McDormand vies with the American landscape for most captivating screen presence. Emotional and beautiful. I really enjoyed it. 

Does anyone know when Disney+ is gonna land in Central/Eastern Europe?  I signed up for notifications ages ago but never received any information about it...all I found on the internet is '2021' which is rather vague..

• 3 weeks later...

I love Angel. I started a rewatch this weekend and a few episodes in some of the attempted humour is a little....err....not good.

Cordelia randomly calling Boyle a "retard". Massive yikes.

Still, season 5 maaaaaan. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else watching "war of the worlds"?

An interesting take on a very familiar story. It's more of a character study than a Sci fi us v them thing. Rather an over dramatic use of Teal and orange filters can't detract from the feel the series has, there is no one about and world feels empty. Lots of shots of London streets with dead bodies in and then a Boston Dynamics dog turns up and you can see they spent the budget on clearing the streets for a days shooting. 

It's very slow at times and the classic, "I didn't ask for this to happen to me, stop asking me questions, leave me alone i'll explain a bit more plot to you later after i'm done shagging and wondering around" teenager character is quite annoying. 

Also, why have they got a radio telescope array up the top of the Alps. And its tiny, 4 dishes .. did no one explain how a radio telescope works? They don't need to be up a mountain !

One more episode to go, I sort of want the aliens to win and kill all the annoying teenagers and the creepy french claptomanic. 

FWIW, there is a second season. Only been in France so far and about to start in the US. I don’t know how it’s being handled in the UK. First season was on Fox, which is closing shortly. So it’ll probably be on Disney+. 

Finished it. 

Less "war of the worlds" , more "war of the people who struggle with existential threat, annoying teenagers and their own fear of loneliness"

The ending is a classic "just wait till we have a bigger budget for series 2, then we can really end the first series properly" 

But I'm not sure I can be bothered watching more. 

Just now, Gambit said:

The Americans has been added. I remember a particular podcast I was listening to a while back raving about it.

Worth a watch? I need something new now that I've finished The Strain.

Most definitely. It's one of the best shows in the last 10 years and seriously underrated. It's very much a slow burn, but it never fails to hold your attention. It's not showy or flashy, but it ramps up the tension like pretty much no other show. 

I'm tempted to rewatch the whole show myself from the start now it's on there.

33 minutes ago, Gambit said:

The Americans has been added. I remember a particular podcast I was listening to a while back raving about it.

Oh hell yes. It’s superb. 

Please could someone with do me a favour by testing something on Disney+?

I watched Fantasia on Disney+ a couple of days ago. Fantasia is famous for pioneering multi-channel, directional sound, and the very start of the film is intended to show this off. Quoting from my favourite review of the film:

Moreover, 'Fantasound' is more like the surround sound systems that didn't become familiar until the 80s, with sound split between centre-stage, and front and back of house on either side. And this is why the first thing Leopold Stokowski does is lean to stage right... de-de-deee! diddle-iddle-deee-deee! from the the strings on your left... then he leans stage left... pa-pa-paaam! paam-paam-paaam-paaam! from the woodwind at the right. Then a great big booming noise from the whole orchestra in the middle.

The film's Details page on DisneyPlus says that a 5.1 mix is available. I only have a stereo system (I watched on headphones), but that should be sufficient to hear the left/right separation, right?

Unfortunately, when I watched it, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor began... and it was either in mono, or in such narrow stereo that I couldn't hear any left/right direction at all.

Then I compared it to this clip on YouTube, and to the versions of the soundtrack on YouTube and Spotify, all of which very pronounced left-right separation. Another obvious stereo moment is later in the piece, at 5:40 in that YouTube video (9:48 in the full film), when shapes whiz rapidly between sides of the screen.

I'd like to know if me getting mono was an issue with the version of the film on Disney+, or with my system. (I tried it three ways: Android phone app casting to Chromecast plugged into my TV and listening on headphones from my TV; (2) Android phone app, with headphones connected to my phone; (3) Disney+ web interface on my PC.)

So please could someone start Fantasia on Disney+, skip to 04:05 when it begins playing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, and tell me if they hear left/right separation? And if so, is the left/right direction as wide and obvious as it is in the two videos below?

If anyone has the film on DVD or Blu-ray to do another comparison, even better. :)

On 06/06/2021 at 05:29, footle said:

More importantly, “us again” is worth five minutes of anyone’s time. First mature, Pixar level (better…), short I’ve seen from Disney animation.

Came in here to say this. Absolutely THE BEST Disney short that has been made. Don't pass it by.

On 06/06/2021 at 21:40, Gambit said:

Yyyyyyeeesssssss!!!!!  I was watching this on Prime at it suddenly got taken off. It’s absolutely brilliant 

I saw that all seasons of The Golden Girls are being added to Star soon. We got the 1-4 box set at the beginning of Lockdown 1 for some comfort viewing and it’s brilliant. Cracking writing and some masterful comic acting and timing. 

Plus one of the all-time great theme tunes.