IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

I definitely remember the trope of families prohibiting their kids from watching ITV! Younger relatives or colleagues never believe me that was once an actual thing, though. You had to be careful when you had classmates round, or visiting their houses: I once watched Knightmare with school friend – his parents’ televisual preferences unbeknown to me – and had to put up with the mother spreading rumours that our family were devil worshippers.

Also it was a very Conservative thing at the time to not watch 'The Other Side', as commercial television was an affront to the high, British standards of the BBC. I seem to remember a gag ot two in The Good Life about this, with Margot being very anti-ITV.

How times change…

My only experience of a previous generation sticking rigidly to one channel was the other way round. My maternal grandmother kept the TV permanently fixed to ITV. She did that when my mum was a child, and she was still doing it when I was a child. I think it was mainly because she thought the BBC was for posh people. I remember staying over at hers one weekend, and wanting to watch Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on Channel 4, and having to try really hard to persuade her that switching the TV channel would not damage the TV! (She let me watch it in the end.)

She also never used the TV's own power switch, instead always turning it on/off directly at the plug socket. I've heard about other elderly people of that generation doing that - something that was drummed into them at a time when electrical wiring and appliances were less safe?

1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

Parents banning ITV was definitely a thing in the 80s. And Grange Hill

I wasn't allowed to watch Grange Hill. My Dad thought it would encourage bad behaviour.  When I did watch it, it was terrible mild and boring next to my actual school.

On 06/08/2021 at 18:38, JohnC said:

Looks like there's problems with logging in. I couldn't log in on 4 devices just now, so I went to Twitter to have a look and it seems some have been having problems since yesterday.

I assumed it was a step to make sharing accounts more awkward, as it did lots of getting codes texted to your main phone and changing passwords etc.

On 07/08/2021 at 12:28, Nick R said:

She also never used the TV's own power switch, instead always turning it on/off directly at the plug socket. I've heard about other elderly people of that generation doing that - something that was drummed into them at a time when electrical wiring and appliances were less safe?

You mean this isn't burnt into your brain?

"Fires can start in oh so maaanyyy waaaayyysss!"

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first few episodes of the new Paul McCartney documentry, McCartney 3,2,1 and really liked it. It's a 6 part series with McCartney sitting at a mixing desk with Rick Rubin and talking about how he wrote songs, how The Beatles put them together, how they were produced, the Abbey Rd set up etc. 

It's shot in this really sharp black and white that contrasts with the colour archieve shots from the 60's and 70's. Rubin is a good foil for McCartney, he asks some gentle question and lets McCartney just talk away. There's a lot of nostalgia and it goes over some well worn anecdotes. But McCartney is such a likeable presence and the way they break down the music is so interesting that the 30 minutes episodes just fly by. 

I thought 6 parts might be a bit long but I'll almost certainly finish it today. 

Ooh I'll definitely add that to the list myself.

11 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Yeah, that's on the list for sure. McCartney is always a good interviewee. He's sort of humble but completely aware of his position as a bona fide legend. He's done well to stay as normal as he has. 

He gets a lot of unwarranted hate just because he's old fashioned, but how many people could deal with these predatory media scum during a time of mourning as well as this? I'd have told them to fuck off out of my face.

I’ve watched 2 episodes of McCartney 321 so far, and love it. It’s so interesting to hear him speak about his music, which most interviews don’t let him do, beyond his usual couple of anecdotes about how he wrote Yesterday. I really like how they’ve got the 8 tracks of some of the songs, and are picking out details that you wouldn’t have heard in the mix, like the piccolo trumpet on Penny Lane, and the story to go along with it is great. 

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I noticed that The Orville is coming to Disney+ on 15th September. Hopefully that means it'll get season 3 when it launches too. :D

I think D+ has some sort of deal whereby things that being shown elsewhere have a delay on their current season coming to Disney Plus. Can't fins where I read it but it says it's a case by case thing with some of the networks.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I noticed that The Orville is coming to Disney+ on 15th September. Hopefully that means it'll get season 3 when it launches too. :D

See, that’s a show that I want to like, because modern actual Trek is terrible, but… I couldn’t get past the pilot when it was on Now TV. And the lead actor I find massively off-putting. Bah.

17 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

See, that’s a show that I want to like, because modern actual Trek is terrible, but… I couldn’t get past the pilot when it was on Now TV. And the lead actor I find massively off-putting. Bah.

It gets much, much, much better. Genuinely the best "Trek" on TV in a long time.

I expected a poor man's Galaxy Quest when the show was announced, and that appeared to be what it was going for after the pilot. Season 1 got better as it went though, dialling down the wackiness and upping the Trek stuff. Season 2 was just superb, basically becoming TNG with a bit more humour.

Of all the new Trek shows, Lower Decks is the only one I like. The Orville is a lot closer to "proper" Trek than that is.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

Aw crap, I bought them a while ago on sale and not got around to watching them yet. 

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

I think D+ has some sort of deal whereby things that being shown elsewhere have a delay on their current season coming to Disney Plus. Can't fins where I read it but it says it's a case by case thing with some of the networks.

I can see it having a good chance of appearing the day after the US, or even same day. It’s gone from Fox to Hulu in the US, which our Star section of D+ is sort of equivalent of. And it was on Fox in UK, which is now gone, with their shows going to Star also. 

20 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I’ve watched 2 episodes of McCartney 321 so far, and love it. It’s so interesting to hear him speak about his music, which most interviews don’t let him do, beyond his usual couple of anecdotes about how he wrote Yesterday. I really like how they’ve got the 8 tracks of some of the songs, and are picking out details that you wouldn’t have heard in the mix, like the piccolo trumpet on Penny Lane, and the story to go along with it is great. 

Love McCartney