IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

The classic being 'the characters go to London, cue London Calling by The Clash', which is used but totally ignores the context of the song.

Or Atomic Blonde's "the characters go to Paris, cue London Calling by The Clash".

It's subverting expectations!

1 minute ago, Nick R said:

Or Atomic Blonde's "the characters go to Paris, cue London Calling by The Clash".

It's subverting expectations!

That's one I never quite got around to watching. It's supposed to be ok, right?

I just found out that they split the last Divergent book into two moves and part 1 went direct to dvd and they never made part 2.

I’m sure I was made to see the first part of the third movie at the Cinema (Allegiant I think it was called) and it ended on a cliffhanger for the 4th part that never came. It was proper bobbins but there was some interesting imagery in there. My wife loved them all and was really disappointed they never made the last one. 

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

I reckon a little dark, myself. Murder is the backbone and implied animal cruelty (which is backtracked but not in a way kids might twig).

Watched a bit of the trailer and looked a bit dark to me, I'll watch it but the kids can skip it.

I'm surprised a search for Dragonslayer didn't turn up anything earlier. I really fancied watching that epic dragon again.

I learned after a google the dragon is called 'Vermithrax Pejorative'! Epic name.

5 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I’m sure I was made to see the first part of the third movie at the Cinema (Allegiant I think it was called) and it ended on a cliffhanger for the 4th part that never came. It was proper bobbins but there was some interesting imagery in there. My wife loved them all and was really disappointed they never made the last one. 

Apparently Kate Winslet wanted to cameo in the last two and they didn't bother? Amazing.

10 hours ago, Festoon said:

It goes along, pretty much without a purpose. The needledrops are CONSTANT. People thought the original Suicide Squad was bad for needledrops, but this takes tbe biscuit.

Performances are good but the main idea is just a bit silly.

Just finished watching it, decent film but way way way too many needle drops. To the point it was getting annoying. Loved Emma Stone's performance especially the fountain scene.

On 31/08/2021 at 18:56, Festoon said:

Ep. 1 Later tonight.

Watched the first two. Liked it a lot. Different than I expected. A little more touching and a little darker. Genuinely have no idea where it's going, which is great.

Yeah, Only Murders in the Building is the TV show I didn't know I needed. The top trio are amazing together and I love it.

I'm also pleased that Mighty Ducks got renewed for season 2. The first season was so pleasant it joined Ted Lasso as one of those refreshingly well made shows about nice people.

I watched Atlantis: The Lost Empire with the kids this afternoon. Where has this one been hiding? All I remember from the launch was an underwhelming box office and accusations that it ripped off a Gainax anime series.

It was really very good. Not the most original plot (it’s about 50% Stargate and 50% Avatar, although it obviously precedes that second one by a number of years), but an excellent ensemble cast with a well defined crew of misfits and cracking production design. They had Mike “Hellboy” Mignola do concept art, and his general style permeates the whole thing, with some fantastically moody lighting that’s incredibly un-Disney. There’s quite a bit of CGI which is normally dodgy from this era, but they used a cel-shaded approach here which, while really obviously CGI, has aged much better than the shimmery kind you see in things like Lilo & Stitch.

It’s not perfect, the plot takes a few shortcuts and it suffers from a little bit of the Avatar white-saviour tropes, but it’s a solid 8/10, and kept the kids gripped.

Apparently it got beaten at the box office by Shrek, which contributed to Disney abandoning 2D animation because the public wanted 3D. Feels weirdly like all those early 32-bit era 2D games that got ignored because they weren’t 3D, regardless of their merits. 

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah, Only Murders in the Building is the TV show I didn't know I needed. The top trio are amazing together and I love it.

I'm also pleased that Mighty Ducks got renewed for season 2. The first season was so pleasant it joined Ted Lasso as one of those refreshingly well made shows about nice people.

Weirdly, I'm also enjoying Turner & Hooch, it does a few good stunts and action beats but is pretty light.

33 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

I watched Atlantis: The Lost Empire with the kids this afternoon. Where has this one been hiding? All I remember from the launch was an underwhelming box office and accusations that it ripped off a Gainax anime series.

It was really very good. Not the most original plot (it’s about 50% Stargate and 50% Avatar, although it obviously precedes that second one by a number of years), but an excellent ensemble cast with a well defined crew of misfits and cracking production design. They had Mike “Hellboy” Mignola do concept art, and his general style permeates the whole thing, with some fantastically moody lighting that’s incredibly un-Disney. There’s quite a bit of CGI which is normally dodgy from this era, but they used a cel-shaded approach here which, while really obviously CGI, has aged much better than the shimmery kind you see in things like Lilo & Stitch.

It’s not perfect, the plot takes a few shortcuts and it suffers from a little bit of the Avatar white-saviour tropes, but it’s a solid 8/10, and kept the kids gripped.

Apparently it got beaten at the box office by Shrek, which contributed to Disney abandoning 2D animation because the public wanted 3D. Feels weirdly like all those early 32-bit era 2D games that got ignored because they weren’t 3D, regardless of their merits. 

Yes indeed, Mignola was delibrately doing a slightly Ghibli influenced style for it too so it's a real oddity. I really liked both it and Treasure Planet (which has an amazing opening) but they both got ignored in favour of 3D buddy movies flavour Joy-joys (mit wisecracks!) which was a real shame.

On 06/08/2021 at 20:15, ckny said:

Behind the Attraction is a fun series in the vein of The Moves/Toys That Made Us on Netflix.

I now realise that this show is actually an infomercial for Disney theme parks.

I came to realise this as I have just booked a family trip to Disneyland Paris next summer, having never previously even considered it :lol:

I noticed Aliens was on here the other day so I watched it this evening.

Still an absolute barnstormer of a movie. And the theatrical version is definitely best. The buildup and mystery is retained at the start, and the pace is honestly kept up without the sentry gun section, great as it was.

I think it's started well, but .... there's a lot of "The lives of the 3 leads" and not a lot about the murder. 

I mean, they're establishing the back story of each lead, and the podcast just seems to be something in the background. Not the reason they all came together. Martin short seems to spent more time trying to find money and living in his fantasy world.

Spoiler

And then there's Sting !!!

On 04/09/2021 at 01:28, Benny said:

I noticed Aliens was on here the other day so I watched it this evening.

Still an absolute barnstormer of a movie. And the theatrical version is definitely best. The buildup and mystery is retained at the start, and the pace is honestly kept up without the sentry gun section, great as it was.

I wish they had both versions on there though. Also surely the rest of the Alien franchise will eventually get added?

First two seasons of The Orville have been added.

I remember hearing it's one of those shows that starts abysmally but gets better. How much shit do I have to put up with before I get to the good stuff?