IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

On 25/10/2021 at 11:59, superfunk said:

I fixed this by deleting the Disney+ Apple TV app and restarting my Atmos system. Apparently, Disney will only serve up what it thinks your system is capable of playing, and somehow it thought I couldn't play Atmos (even though it showed The Mandalorian properly). Once I'd done this, all the Star Wars movies, Marvel movies etc were back in Dobly Atmos. 

I’m still having this problem with 4K playback on D+. Amazon, Netflix and the Xbox can all see that my TV can play 4K, but Disney thinks I’ve only got an HD tv. Tried everything and am now resigned to it until I get a new telly. 

YES! I watched GotG on the weekend and it irked me that the D+ version is missing the larger shots that are included on the 3D Blu-ray. This will restore them, Full list is apparently:

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Avengers: Infinity War

Avengers: Endgame

Black Panther

Black Widow

Captain America: Civil War

Captain Marvel

Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2

Iron Man

Thor Ragnarok

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

:D

While IMAX traditionally uses a squarer 1.43:1 format, Expanded Aspect Ratio is 1.90:1, which is relatively close to the 16:9 ratio of TVs. Marvel movies are generally presented in wider, letterboxed aspect ratios, but many of them feature some 1.90:1 sequences captured with IMAX-certified cameras for a taller picture in IMAX theaters. Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame, meanwhile, were shot entirely in the format.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/11/8/22764957/marvel-disney-plus-imax-expanded-aspect-ratio

I really wish films would just fill the screen. Is that so difficult? I remember watching DVDs when they first came out on a 4:3 screen, and the black bars were massive, I thought moving to widescreen would get rid of them, but here we are 20 years later and they’re still here. 

Genuinely don't get the IMAX thing. If the best ratio for your movie is 1.85:1, film it in that. If the best ratio is 2.39:1, film it in that. Why would you want some scenes to have a different aspect ratio to the rest of the movie? It's pointlessly distracting.

I've often found that I don't notice IMAX scenes unless I'm actively looking for them, but I do appreciate them. I've never found them jarring or distracting, and they can make scenes just feel, well, bigger.

Almost anything that shows you more detail could be said to be "pointless" to some extent. 4K doesn't magically transform a movie into something drastically different than the same film at 1080p, but it's undeniably better.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Genuinely don't get the IMAX thing. If the best ratio for your movie is 1.85:1, film it in that. If the best ratio is 2.39:1, film it in that. Why would you want some scenes to have a different aspect ratio to the rest of the movie? It's pointlessly distracting.

They use IMAX for the detail, not the aspect ratio. IMAX film frames (and now sensors) are huge, so film grains (or pixels) are proportionally a lot smaller compared to the whole image. Being able to show those frames unmatted at IMAX theatres or at home is just a fringe benefit and not one that necessarily makes sense for everything.

Aspect ratio is funny, for a lot of movies shot on film there isn’t one intended presentation. I think The Shining was composed, shot and edited for 4:3 but with the understanding it would be matted down to widescreen while it was in theatres.

Edit - Aspect ratio and widescreen in particular is kind of a contrivance, in other words. If something was shot on film it was probably shot in quite a tall ratio.