IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

3 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

I urge everyone to watch Derek Delgaudio's In & Of Itself.

One of the greatest things I have ever seen. Go in blind. Outstanding piece of work.

I have read many similar reviews, which made me think that I was missing something. I found this unspeakably dull. What did I miss? 

What are we getting next week, now Boba Fett is finished (I assume we’re still in the “new Marvel or Star Wars every week” period they promised)? I haven’t seen any mention of whatever’s next, so presumably animated as I never see build up for them.

4 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

What are we getting next week, now Boba Fett is finished (I assume we’re still in the “new Marvel or Star Wars every week” period they promised)? I haven’t seen any mention of whatever’s next, so presumably animated as I never see build up for them.

Moon Knight is up next.

1 hour ago, kempstar said:

I have read many similar reviews, which made me think that I was missing something. I found this unspeakably dull. What did I miss? 

I'm gonna put it in spoilers as I do feel it's something which needs to be seen blind:

Spoiler

I think it varies depending on where you are in life and what you are expecting from it. I'm in the worst position I've been in years and the feeling it gave me was that of hope. Not sounding maudlin but I found it quite profound. The whole show essentially about being seen, and about love and understanding,  primarily the letter section and the cards. Utterly destroyed me. It personally inspired thay feeling of hope, which is something I haven't felt for a long time.

I've seen reviews calling it dull also, those criticising it for its obvious message. Some even stating manipulation etc. I can understand where those are coming from if your mind isn't in the frame for that. Also those expecting more 'magic'.

It's a wonderful, beautiful piece of performance theatre.

8 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

I urge everyone to watch Derek Delgaudio's In & Of Itself.

One of the greatest things I have ever seen. Go in blind. Outstanding piece of work.

I enjoyed this a lot. I get why Frank Oz was so blown away by him.

Spoiler

The last segment (going around the audience) is a bit wank though. It's not an especially difficult trick (and the earlier card section earlier demonstrates at great length that he's skilled enough at pattern memorisation to be able to pull it off in near-realtime) but we keep getting shots of audience members losing their shit like he's a faith healer. Blurgh

5 hours ago, Thor said:

King's Man is now on this. I lasted just under half an hour before turning it off.

Absolute shite.

I think it's worth sticking with, the first act is very different from the rest of the film. 

9 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

Hide contents

The last segment (going around the audience) is a bit wank though. It's not an especially difficult trick (and the earlier card section earlier demonstrates at great length that he's skilled enough at pattern memorisation to be able to pull it off in near-realtime) but we keep getting shots of audience members losing their shit like he's a faith healer. Blurgh

I had the same reaction, though I figured it was more of an ear piece trick.

Nice idea but I’m too much of a cynic.

Also, finished the TV remake of High Fidelity and it’s really good and a massive shame that it got dropped after one season. The cast is great and it’s a smart update of the same story.

12 hours ago, Radish said:

I think it's worth sticking with, the first act is very different from the rest of the film. 

But I bet the rest of the film isn't Three Billboards good, which is what I watched instead. I'd never seen it before - what a film!

13 hours ago, MrHendo said:

I had the same reaction, though I figured it was more of an ear piece trick.

I am not a magician, but how I think the trick could plausibly work:

Spoiler

1. The content and layout of the cards in the lobby is designed to heavily direct visitors to certain ones. e.g., a set of the most appealing ones are around eye level, and it's bulked up with very low likelihood ones (we see this in the intro, 'optometrist' etc.)

2. There are two further levels of filtering: one is that certain cards he can 'skew' to certain demographics - e.g. old/young, male/female etc. so he doesn't have to memorise 1:1, each group of say 10 cards has a high level of contrast on this axis so he gets down to a certain bucket, sees it's an old lady and knows it's (99%) not 'bodybuilder', etc.

3. The other level of filtering is he asks only people who 'took the cards seriously' to stand, getting rid of many of the noise cards in step 1.

4. As for how he gets the data. Well, a few not terribly exciting options are possible. The earpiece (which he can palm, so it's not spotted when he's walking among the audience) which removes the need for most of the above. (Alternatively they could be doing something wacky with UV light and contact lenses - how professional mahjong cheaters do it - but pretty impractical by comparison to earpiece.)

But more likely (imo), when the ticket stubs are taken and the cards are delivered to the desk on stage, they've been marked with to booked seat numbers. He (or his crew) has lots of opportunity in the show (e.g. the prerecorded interludes) to manipulate, count and sort the cards to fit a mnemonic, either in his head or using some concealed gizmo that means he doesn't need to carry the whole bulky stack of cards.

5. Obviously it gets easier as more cards are taken out. Also we don't see how long he's pausing for 'dramatic effect' to run through the mnemonic each time in the film version.

Fuck knows how he did

Spoiler

the segment with the letters

though.

9 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

I am not a magician, but how I think the trick could plausibly work:

Reveal hidden contents

1. The content and layout of the cards in the lobby is designed to heavily direct visitors to certain ones. e.g., a set of the most appealing ones are around eye level, and it's bulked up with very low likelihood ones (we see this in the intro, 'optometrist' etc.)

2. There are two further levels of filtering: one is that certain cards he can 'skew' to certain demographics - e.g. old/young, male/female etc. so he doesn't have to memorise 1:1, each group of say 10 cards has a high level of contrast on this axis so he gets down to a certain bucket, sees it's an old lady and knows it's (99%) not 'bodybuilder', etc.

3. The other level of filtering is he asks only people who 'took the cards seriously' to stand, getting rid of many of the noise cards in step 1.

4. As for how he gets the data. Well, a few not terribly exciting options are possible. The earpiece (which he can palm, so it's not spotted when he's walking among the audience) which removes the need for most of the above. (Alternatively they could be doing something wacky with UV light and contact lenses - how professional mahjong cheaters do it - but pretty impractical by comparison to earpiece.)

But more likely (imo), when the ticket stubs are taken and the cards are delivered to the desk on stage, they've been marked with to booked seat numbers. He (or his crew) has lots of opportunity in the show (e.g. the prerecorded interludes) to manipulate, count and sort the cards to fit a mnemonic, either in his head or using some concealed gizmo that means he doesn't need to carry the whole bulky stack of cards.

5. Obviously it gets easier as more cards are taken out. Also we don't see how long he's pausing for 'dramatic effect' to run through the mnemonic each time in the film version.

Fuck knows how he did

Reveal hidden contents

the segment with the letters

though.

I thought that was fairly obvious?

Spoiler

Each one is a set up, that person has been Surprise Surprised by a friend or family member who’ve gone and got letters written from various people they know.

On 09/02/2022 at 21:41, Dark Soldier said:

I'm gonna put it in spoilers as I do feel it's something which needs to be seen blind:

Hide contents

I think it varies depending on where you are in life and what you are expecting from it. I'm in the worst position I've been in years and the feeling it gave me was that of hope. Not sounding maudlin but I found it quite profound. The whole show essentially about being seen, and about love and understanding,  primarily the letter section and the cards. Utterly destroyed me. It personally inspired thay feeling of hope, which is something I haven't felt for a long time.

I've seen reviews calling it dull also, those criticising it for its obvious message. Some even stating manipulation etc. I can understand where those are coming from if your mind isn't in the frame for that. Also those expecting more 'magic'.

It's a wonderful, beautiful piece of performance theatre.

Thanks. Perhaps I totally missed the point of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I read the other day (and now I can't find it - maybe Empire or Total Film?) that Disney and Sony have recently come to a deal whereby Sony films will be coming to Disney+. Now, it didn't mention Spider-Man specifically in this but elsewhere I've seen it suggested it will? Anyone know anything about this?

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I saw Spider-Man 2 is heading back to Netflix... I would certainly hope all the movies end up on Disney+ though. 

They’re bringing Spider-Man 2 back exactly one week after 22/2/22. :lol: 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I read the other day (and now I can't find it - maybe Empire or Total Film?) that Disney and Sony have recently come to a deal whereby Sony films will be coming to Disney+. Now, it didn't mention Spider-Man specifically in this but elsewhere I've seen it suggested it will? Anyone know anything about this?

It was initially announced last year, around April I think (no, not 1st). There was never a date put on when it goes into effect though. 

On 10/02/2022 at 10:44, MK-1601 said:

Hide contents

Concerning ‘In & Of Itself’ -

I’m a bit late with this, but I don’t believe the reactions are because they are amazed at his magic tricks

Spoiler

it’s more because someone is standing there identifying them via the label they chose for themselves - I would guess it’s an involuntary emotional reaction to that. The whole theme of the show was about identity.

He lays out in the earlier sections that he’s a deceiver and a manipulator - but the emotional truth that is revealed as a result of the tricks is genuine, and I think that is the point.

Thought I’d check out West Side Story just to see what it looked like and sat through the whole movie. I love the original 1961 film and soundtrack, and this is up there with it.

If they are going to add movie franchises piece by piece, I kind of wish they'd do it in chronological order. Noticed War for the Planet of the Apes just got added so felt like doing a rewatch of that series. Dawn is on there, but Rise (the first one) is absent. :(

21 minutes ago, Gambit said:

If they are going to add movie franchises piece by piece, I kind of wish they'd do it in chronological order. Noticed War for the Planet of the Apes just got added so felt like doing a rewatch of that series. Dawn is on there, but Rise (the first one) is absent. :(

Suspect it will be tied to them being licensed elsewhere. One of the best trilogies in recent times too, such a great reboot. Hopefully they’ll all be up soon enough.