IGNORED

Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

They're going to launch a cheaper subscription with ads. US later this year, internationally next year. No word on actual price yet. This is how Hulu works, so they've got experience.

On 02/03/2022 at 20:55, Gambit said:

If they are going to add movie franchises piece by piece, I kind of wish they'd do it in chronological order. Noticed War for the Planet of the Apes just got added so felt like doing a rewatch of that series. Dawn is on there, but Rise (the first one) is absent. :(

On that note they've finally got X-Men: First Class on there

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

They're going to launch a cheaper subscription with ads. US later this year, internationally next year. No word on actual price yet. This is how Hulu works, so they've got experience.

“Since its launch, advertisers have been clamoring for the opportunity to be part of Disney+ and not just because there’s a growing demand for more streaming inventory,” said Rita Ferro, President, Advertising, Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution. “Disney+ with advertising will offer marketers the most premium environment in streaming with our most beloved brands, Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and National Geographic. I can’t wait to share more with advertisers at the Upfront.”

Nothing but upside!

You want to make silly money in the broadcast industry? Find the ways to utilise ads.

In streaming terms, one section of your market will happily pay nothing/low cost and endure ads; the other section will pay the premium to have ads removed.

To get brand attachment to Disney, imagine the revenue from advertising will be eye-watering.

Watched the first episode of The Dropout (well, most of it as I write this). It's a bit dull and I'm not really finding any of these people likeable, which may be the point I'm not sure.

On the plus side, Nightmare Alley is arriving on March 16th. Which is good seeing as it disappeared from my local cinema after less than a week.

Pixar's latest, Turning Red, launched on Disney+ this morning. 

This is good news, as even if it's shite, I have a film sorted for Friday family film night already. A rare night of no arguing about what to watch. 

5 hours ago, PeteJ said:

A rare night of no arguing about what to watch. 

We do saturday film night and it was often murder trying to decide on something. We switched to rotating the choice between us and it's been a lot more harmonious ever since. 

We watched it today. Edith (5) has two stuffed red pandas called Colin and Salah so we was never waiting to watch it. She loved it and if I am honest I enjoyed it enough. It is essentially an allegory for puberty but worked really well. 

Yeah, Turning Red was a really nice surprise. Actually feels refreshing at times too with tonnes of creative animation styles and mannerisms fused together in a really way. I love it when animation itself is funny and there’s a lot of that here. 

Also it’s set in Canada, great movie 👍

My kids are now 12 and 14, and it’s been a struggle for a while to motivate them for new family animations, even though I’m keen to still watch. 

This isn’t helped when the last one I nagged them to watch, Encanto, underwhelmed us all. I’ve not managed to convince them to watch Ron’s Gone Wrong either. Luca was pretty, and pleasant enough, but basically The Little Mermaid. 

So I reckon I’ll end up watching this on my own…

I watched about 5 minutes of Turning Red last night and it seemed so loud and obnoxious I turned it off as I just wasn't in the mood to persevere at all. It didn't feel like a Pixar movie tonally, I felt like I was watching some Saturday morning cartoon. Is the beginning not representative?

19 minutes ago, Majora said:

I watched about 5 minutes of Turning Red last night and it seemed so loud and obnoxious I turned it off as I just wasn't in the mood to persevere at all. It didn't feel like a Pixar movie tonally, I felt like I was watching some Saturday morning cartoon. Is the beginning not representative?

No, it’s like that throughout. If anything, it gets worse. I stopped paying attention after a while but my oldest seemed to enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Majora said:

My partner was really put off by the first 15mins or so but I think it had to be that way to fit the narrative concept of showing how excited/anxious the main character is and shows how much of a challenge it is to have to calm those emotions later on. Something like that. 

My younger girls are 9 and 7 and whilst a few years/half the age of the girls in Turning Red, there are alot of similarities, including being loud and easily over excited and I recognise alot of my older daughter as she was going through that phase (she's still loud and over excited at 17 tbh) so, imo, it's a fairly accurate representation. 

It's also basically Teen Wolf 2022 edition.

Mei does not really make a good first impression in the first 10 minutes tbh. Even the film admits she is annoying.

So when the panda/puberty stuff starts it humanise's her so well. It turns her world completely upside down. 

This to me is certainly one of the funniest ever Pixar films. My other half who is Korean was losing it at the Asian mother scenes then the aunties. The boyband bits were very funny too. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

CalArts style

:hmm:

I'm don't mind people criticising that bean mouth style trend (I mentioned the similarity when I started the film's thread!), but I dislike it being referred to as the "CalArts style".

At least when He Who Shall Not Be Named coined the term to complain about The Iron Giant, it was criticising someone who attended that school. But then the internet took the term and started to use it to refer to a different style trend on that was perceived as associated with Tumblr, not necessarily with CalArts.

I'm OK with criticism of that character design style - just not with it being given that name!

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

:hmm:

I'm don't mind people criticising that bean mouth style trend (I mentioned the similarity when I started the film's thread!), but I dislike it being referred to as the "CalArts style".

At least when He Who Shall Not Be Named coined the term to complain about The Iron Giant, it was criticising someone who attended that school. But then the internet took the term and started to use it to refer to a different style trend on that was perceived as associated with Tumblr, not necessarily with CalArts.

I'm OK with criticism of that character design style - just not with it being given that name!

Yeah, it's such nonsense that there's been about three styles that are supposedly the CalArts style.