Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

20 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Seriously, they were still making this in 4:3 in the late 2000s?

Season 20 was when they switched from SD to HD, and changed the opening title sequence.

I'm not sure if they were making it in 16:9 SD before that. In my experience, Americans tend to conflate 16:9 TVs and HDTVs as if they were exactly the same thing and you can't have one without the other, whereas in the UK  we had 16:9 SD (and compromise 14:9 SD) broadcasts for several years before HDTVs became widespread.

On 15/11/2019 at 08:13, Hitcher said:

"Unfortunately, as you may have heard by now, there’s been another change to the Han/Greedo scene. And it’s even more jarring than before. After Han says his iconic line, “Yes, I’ll bet you have,” the film now cuts back to a quick shot of Greedo again, who mutters an additional bit of Rodian dialogue (non-subtitled), before they both shoot at once, Han’s head weirdly shifts to one side, and Greedo falls. The Verge has confirmed with Disney that this was indeed a change made by George Lucas back in 2013. But again, it’s like putting lipstick on a pig. I suppose I’m glad Lucas is now happy with the scene, because certainly no one else is."

"https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20961173/disney-plus-star-wars-han-solo-greedo-new-hope-edit-george-lucas"

If this is indeed true then it's the finest middle finger Lucas has ever given to the fanboys. Short of having Greedo hold up a finger after Han says "Yes, I'll bet you have!", climb on to the table, curl off a large Rodian turd, waft the smell in Han's general direction before sitting calmly back down, exclaiming "Maclunkey!" and promptly being shot dead (all while remembering to shoot a gnat's pube before Han) I fail to see how the scene could be improved upon further.

If Lucas has sat on this for the last six years he must be chuckling his fucking arse off right now.

Disney just pulling whatever content they have out of the vault and throwing whatever version they have up on Plus, shoddy interface... it does seem like the kind of app you’d get if a lot of people used to doing shitty catch up apps for cable services got in a room together.

(I don’t think there was any SD widescreen broadcasting in the US, they were already dabbling in small HD broadcasts and shooting shows for that format around the time we had widescreen SD, so they just kept rolling HD out instead. Simpsons was a bit of a hold-our by the time it eventually made the switch.)

On 13/11/2019 at 14:15, Jammy said:

Bloody hell, will the tinkering never end ? Apparently Sebulba says it in Phantom Menace; the Huttese phrase “Ma Klounkee” which means “This will be the end of you”.

Imagine a hitman pointing a gun at someone and shouting “this gun will kill you now”, that’s amazing.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, I saw the original trilogy when I was 20 or so and that age it doesn't make as much of an impression. I don't follow all the hubbub around the lore or continuity or whatever. So this is probably the stupidest question in the world, but as an outsider looking in I have to ask: why not leave the original Han/Greedo on a cantina date scene as is in the movie? It seems like it would be a win-win; less work for the people transferring it to 4k and no more angry fans. Afaik Lucas sold the rights so Disney should be able to do whatever the fuck they want. What am I missing?

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm not a Star Wars fan, I saw the original trilogy when I was 20 or so and that age it doesn't make as much of an impression. I don't follow all the hubbub around the lore or continuity or whatever. So this is probably the stupidest question in the world, but as an outsider looking in I have to ask: why not leave the original Han/Greedo on a cantina date scene as is in the movie? It seems like it would be a win-win; less work for the people transferring it to 4k and no more angry fans. Afaik Lucas sold the rights so Disney should be able to do whatever the fuck they want. What am I missing?

It’d already been changed for the worse when Disney bought it. Lucas did the original change to Greedo shooting first for the 1997 special edition, and said it was more in line with his original intention. Moreover he decreed that the original version no longer existed (which is likely bullshit). The most annoying thing about the changed scene isn’t that he swapped round who shot first, it’s how he did it. There was a way around it with a couple of additional shots and a much less clunky cgi manipulation of the scene which would have achieved his aims and not pissed off a generation of fans.

I knew it had already been changed when Disney bought the lot, but I didn't realize Lucas had declared the original film of the scene was coincidentally lost so couldn't be used ever again. My thinking was that Disney would save themselves a lot of trouble and create a lot of goodwill at the same time, never mind a lot of headlines, by using the original film reels as the basis for their 4k remasters and simply ignore the special editions. 

I think the older fans like me are more or less placated these days with the excellent Despecialized editions and the 4K77, 4K83 and (later on) 4K80 editions. Whatever Lucas/Disney does with it now I couldn't give a monkeys. I can happily ignore all the fucking shit that comes after.

FWIW, awful colour grading aside I thought the Blu Ray "special edition" version of this scene was slightly better than this, though obviously the original is best. Not sure why it needs a Maclunkey in there, but seeing as Lucas is certifiably insane at this point who knows? To me Lucas had achieved what he wanted with the original cut. It didn't need spelling out.

Interesting to note though that some reviewers are stating these new masters on Disney+ are really showing up the newer special effects that Lucas added. Read a couple of opinions saying that time has not been kind to these additions. The Mos Eisley bit in particular looking out of place. Though that never looked good imho. And the less said about Jedi Rocks the better.

Urgh.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I knew it had already been changed when Disney bought the lot, but I didn't realize Lucas had declared the original film of the scene was coincidentally lost so couldn't be used ever again. My thinking was that Disney would save themselves a lot of trouble and create a lot of goodwill at the same time, never mind a lot of headlines, by using the original film reels as the basis for their 4k remasters and simply ignore the special editions. 

Lucas claims that the original camera negative was used to make the '97 Special Edition so was "destroyed" in the process. Which is probably bullshit but that's where we are.

8 hours ago, Lumpy said:

I think the older fans like me are more or less placated these days with the excellent Despecialized editions and the 4K77, 4K83 and (later on) 4K80 editions. Whatever Lucas/Disney does with it now I couldn't give a monkeys. I can happily ignore all the fucking shit that comes after.

Thing is, it must be impossible to really get wrapped up in the Greedo scene and enjoy it now. Even if you're watching a good quality copy of the original unaltered version, if you're aware of any of the meddling that's gone on over the years, it's impossible to avoid thinking about it in some way. You can't avoid thinking something like: "I'm glad I get to watch it in its original form!" or "Why should I have to pirate it to be able to watch it in this form in good quality?" or "What was the point of Lucas making those changes so ineptly in the first place?" or "I just remembered there's a version of this where he says 'Maclunkey'!"

Same with things like the ending of RotJ. Even if you're watching a version without Hayden Christensen, you can't watch it without the horrifying knowledge that he could be there. :o

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Lucas claims that the original camera negative was used to make the '97 Special Edition so was "destroyed" in the process. Which is probably bullshit but that's where we are.

I can't help but imagine that while his staff were mastering the Special Editions, Lucas burned the original camera negatives in his backyard, did an Ewok happy dance, and urinated on the ashes. Hence, 'destroyed during the process'. 

I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I find this frustrating! Fair enough if you release a director's cut afterwards, or are forced to edit something because you accidentally had Michael Jackson holding an Ewok in a provocative manner in the background, but otherwise movie directors (and book writers and similar) should move the fuck on and leave well enough alone. Learn from your previous mistakes and make your next work better, not your previous work worse.

There's a story about Lucas during the original release of Star Wars in 1977. Apparently as they were driving past a cinema with queues round the block to see the film. Rather than being happy Lucas told his companion something like "Seeing that film title above the theatre depresses me". He was never happy with it. Hence the endless fuckery in the decades since.

Harmy only did them in 720p. There's no 1080p yet. Those on Archive are pretty good for the file sizes. The version of the first film they have is 2.5 though, despite the reviewer's comment at the bottom stating it's 2.7. There's not much in it beyond a redo of the colour grading.

17 hours ago, Nick R said:

Thing is, it must be impossible to really get wrapped up in the Greedo scene and enjoy it now. Even if you're watching a good quality copy of the original unaltered version, if you're aware of any of the meddling that's gone on over the years, it's impossible to avoid thinking about it in some way. You can't avoid thinking something like: "I'm glad I get to watch it in its original form!" or "Why should I have to pirate it to be able to watch it in this form in good quality?" or "What was the point of Lucas making those changes so ineptly in the first place?" or "I just remembered there's a version of this where he says 'Maclunkey'!"

Same with things like the ending of RotJ. Even if you're watching a version without Hayden Christensen, you can't watch it without the horrifying knowledge that he could be there. :o

Heh lol I know what you mean. Actually I found it worked the other way. I've not actually watched the original film in any format for some years as I'd been put off over time by all the changes. When I discovered the Despecialized lot me and the missus both sat to watch it, and I don't think either of us considered any other version. She said afterwards how much better it was without all the extra gubbins, but for me I was just whisked away again like so many years ago. One of the reviewers on YT said the beauty of the Despecialized set is how effectively they wipe away all the SW clutter accumulated over the years since the SE versions, and that's about right I think.

22 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

There's a story about Lucas during the original release of Star Wars in 1977. Apparently as they were driving past a cinema with queues round the block to see the film rather than being happy Lucas told his companion something like "Seeing that film title above the theater depresses me". He was never happy with it. Hence the endless fuckery in the decades since.

Did somebody else come up with "Star Wars"?

I think one of his titles was The Star Wars which was obviously better than other options like The Adventures of Luke Starkiller, but presumably somebody at Fox told him to drop the "The", which while correct must have upset his auteur-ish sensibilities.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:05, McCoy said:

I think quite a few people would fall down at the initial step of getting a fully loaded fire stick - or even that it's an option that could be used. 

I think most people have Facebook though. That's how most people I know got one.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

I think most people have Facebook though. That's how most people I know got one.

Possibly.  I've just logged on to my Facebook and there was no automatic sign of loaded Fire TV sticks for sale.  I searched for Fire TV and a load of stuff came up but nothing that really looked very helpful. The marketplace had a load of stuff on, none of which I'd touch with a barge pole. 

Now, I'm not trying very hard but I'm probably already a few steps beyond what my parents and a few of my friends would be capable of doing! 

4 hours ago, McCoy said:

Possibly.  I've just logged on to my Facebook and there was no automatic sign of loaded Fire TV sticks for sale.  I searched for Fire TV and a load of stuff came up but nothing that really looked very helpful. The marketplace had a load of stuff on, none of which I'd touch with a barge pole. 

Now, I'm not trying very hard but I'm probably already a few steps beyond what my parents and a few of my friends would be capable of doing! 

Kodi, I don’t use it but I hear all sorts of friends talking about them inc people who struggle to turn an iPad on!

I like Disney, i like the idea of having it as a separate platform, so that my kids can watch it, but the launch is stupid to say the least. Disney+ I came across this article, so basically, people from - dunno, Estonia, Ukraine, Russia or even Belgium will not have it? And they have to use/ buy a vpn for it? sounds stupid

Got a firestick 4K at the weekend in the Black Fridays sales and installed Disney plus on it.   (was previously using an android tv box which didn’t stream 4K).   First of the firestick is brilliant for steaming Disney plus. Been exploring the stuff on there and found who framed roger rabbit in 4K!!!  (Plus willow which sadly isn’t 4K :-( 

3 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Got a firestick 4K at the weekend in the Black Fridays sales and installed Disney plus on it.   (was previously using an android tv box which didn’t stream 4K).   First of the firestick is brilliant for steaming Disney plus. Been exploring the stuff on there and found who framed roger rabbit in 4K!!!  (Plus willow which sadly isn’t 4K :-( 

Pot luck with the 4k, by the sounds of it. First thing I'll be watching on it is 4k Rocketeer.

• Goose changed the title to Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows