Huge Capcom Announcement - Home Arcade

9 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

uhoh!

Yeah, I got a weird feeling from that review too, came over like a hostage video.

I mean:

which leads me on to the only genuine issue I had with the review unit: it wouldn't connect to any network

Oh wow, is that all?

And

we're greeted with a boot-up time of around 25 seconds before dipping into the main menu of the system - and while it is very attractive and well-presented overall (I liked the use of preview music when highlighting each game), the interface itself runs at a very low, choppy frame-rate.

Emulation quality overall is absolutely fine, bar the occasional audio drop-out

Bar the what now? I mean, these might be minor in the scheme of things, but this is DF! These come across like coded alert messages of things DF would never say.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and no dipswitch access! Also handwaved away. So odd.

• 2 months later...

I know rip-offs are common with these things, but the fact that they use the exact same CAPCOM mould is brilliant. This just got recommended to me in an email from Amazon:

61zlxuRcwwL._SX425_.jpg

Zero fucks given. :lol: (For curious forumites, it's apparently called the "ZEHNHASE 3D Arcade Video Games Console"...)

Verdict - it’s quite fun for £124 and  a perfect solution for someone like me who just wants a blast on Mame every so often, and wants a “proper” stick with which to do so.

Won’t suit purists though, especially as there’s no way to output 4:3, but for the money it’s fine, and no doubt easily modded:

4326E7B0-0AF4-4CA3-B0FC-AE1E97F6D8FC.thumb.jpeg.e6c9facf2d4b9d7aa83ae7010c253bea.jpeg

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Verdict - it’s quite fun for £124 and  a perfect solution for someone like me who just wants a blast on Mame every so often, and wants a “proper” stick with which to do so.

Won’t suit purists though, especially as there’s no way to output 4:3, but for the money it’s fine, and no doubt easily modded:

4326E7B0-0AF4-4CA3-B0FC-AE1E97F6D8FC.thumb.jpeg.e6c9facf2d4b9d7aa83ae7010c253bea.jpeg

Does everything work ok Davros?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

It doesn't appear this thing has been hacked even with a mystery USB port everyone assumed was for this purpose.

At least I couldn't find anything on Google. This drastically reduces the appeal of this, even at a sensible price.

For anything to be hacked, regardless of difficulty, someone has to be interested in putting the effort in.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Who is it for? is a good point. For the price they’re asking the game selection is bobbins, isn’t it? No Marvel, no X-Men, no SF3, no definitive SF2, no Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, No DS sequels etc. Not even the games that have made the various collections on home consoles... like, Capcom own full rights to those and they’re a few mb. Why not put them on? Assumed adding roms would’ve been sorted by now.

Weird, weird product.

True, also isn’t one of the games a fan-restored rom that they nicked or something?

They don't own the copyright to the emulator. Even if it included some of Capcom's code (which isn't a given; emulators don't have to reuse original code to reproduce the behaviour of the original system), it would be a derivative work or something complicated and headache-inducing. They'd have certain rights with respect to it, but the copyright wouldn't automatically belong to Capcom.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Oh, but someone mentioned a restored ROM on the previous page. That's got to be an interesting case.

Sorry my bad. I was getting mixed up with the Emulator FB alpha being open source which caused a stink when it was announced. 

I meant Final Burn Alpha yes, Capcom's thing relies on pirated software so you might as well download the roms yourself and run it on something not shaped like a rejected design for Kryten's head.

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

They don't own the copyright to the emulator. Even if it included some of Capcom's code (which isn't a given; emulators don't have to reuse original code to reproduce the behaviour of the original system), it would be a derivative work or something complicated and headache-inducing. They'd have certain rights with respect to it, but the copyright wouldn't automatically belong to Capcom.

Only way it matters is if someone tests it in court, which they won't.