Assetto Corsa Competizione | Next Thursday: Zolder Sprint

davejm

On 16/09/2021 at 10:27, davejm said:

IMPORTANT!!!!

Don't forget that you need to register for the race tonight (and future events!) if you haven't already!

@Yannik @winky @extremepabs

https://beta.simracing.gp/events/1JI0fDBLd0HCZ7tf2M-Iw

Will do for the next one! I couldn't race at Misano because I am at SimRacing Expo at the Nürburgring - could be worse, haha

1 hour ago, Yannik said:

Will do for the next one! I couldn't race at Misano because I am at SimRacing Expo at the Nürburgring - could be worse, haha

Haha yeah I remember during the day that you said you were at the expo.  Looking forward to hearing about it!

Not sure I'm going to like the Merc. As I think @Count Buffalos described, it has a strange tendency to do this quite unpredictably..

It does it at the top of the mountain at Bathurst too, which is worse as there's no run off.

The 911 does it as well but it's manageable if you lift off slowly and don't scare it. The Merc seems to be randomly upset by it.

23 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Not sure I'm going to like the Merc. As I think @Count Buffalos described, it has a strange tendency to do this quite unpredictably..

It does it at the top of the mountain at Bathurst too, which is worse as there's no run off.

The 911 does it as well but it's manageable if you lift off slowly and don't scare it. The Merc seems to be randomly upset by it.

Is that aggressive preset? There was an update to physics some time ago(9 or 10 months or so at this point) that made yaw angle have greater effect on downforce generated by body and wing. It made all cars more loose at high speeds, but setup presets were not updated. You will probably find the Merc will also want to go around in Raidillon, Pouhon and Blanchimont in the same way. Lowering rear and/or increasing wing helps. Increasing diff. preload helps too. You can also try to not fully lift throttle as you brake until you've shifted down to 3rd gear.

Noticed a few of you guys ran in the ol’ Power Q league - what’s he up to these days? Is he done with the sim racing thing? Noticed that all he’s posted in the past three months is an Escape from Tarkov video.

Oh, and Oulton is a bit of a rollercoaster. Very tricky with the pad!

5 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Noticed a few of you guys ran in the ol’ Power Q league - what’s he up to these days? Is he done with the sim racing thing? Noticed that all he’s posted in the past three months is an Escape from Tarkov video.

Oh, and Oulton is a bit of a rollercoaster. Very tricky with the pad!

His content dried up at the same time that he got a full time graduate job.  He made a couple of comments in streams about struggling to get videos out, then just seemed to disappear.

Not sure if he's specifically stated that he's done with sim racing.  I haven't followed the Tarkov streams he's popped up with of late.

3 hours ago, davejm said:

My new dedicated server is set up :)  Can peeps connect up to the practice server and check that it's all OK?

Presuming its called "rllmuk practice server" and you took down the old one - yup worked fine.  I connected  after being prompted for the usual password, and my ping sat at 31ms, which seemed about what Id expect.  Will take a car for a spin later...  wasn't set up in the sim-rig when I tested this...

Yeah, the old server is down now so that'll be the new one.  I wasn't able to import the previous entry list so rather than it using our forum usernames it'll use whatever name you've set in your game options.  But we're using our real names in SGP anyway so I don't think that's a big deal.

22 hours ago, Erik said:

Is that aggressive preset? There was an update to physics some time ago(9 or 10 months or so at this point) that made yaw angle have greater effect on downforce generated by body and wing. It made all cars more loose at high speeds, but setup presets were not updated. You will probably find the Merc will also want to go around in Raidillon, Pouhon and Blanchimont in the same way. Lowering rear and/or increasing wing helps. Increasing diff. preload helps too. You can also try to not fully lift throttle as you brake until you've shifted down to 3rd gear.

That's interesting thanks. Yes, it was basically the aggressive preset with a little bit of tinkering - I'll take another look at it!

18 hours ago, davejm said:

My new dedicated server is set up :)  Can peeps connect up to the practice server and check that it's all OK?

I could connect fine last night, with a ping of ~30ms. I already set a time whilst I was there.

Where can we see the results now, @davejm?

1 hour ago, Meers said:

I could connect fine last night, with a ping of ~30ms. I already set a time whilst I was there.

Where can we see the results now, @davejm?

You won't be able to unless I post them, for the time being.  I'm going to look into having the server act as an external web server too, so I can host the results.  But depends when I get around to it :)  I need to look into static IPs, certificates etc.

Here are the times so far...

image.png.7b78cf433d0248055b03065ff4aed795.png

14 minutes ago, davejm said:

You won't be able to unless I post them, for the time being.  I'm going to look into having the server act as an external web server too, so I can host the results.  But depends when I get around to it :)  I need to look into static IPs, certificates etc.

Here are the times so far...

image.png.7b78cf433d0248055b03065ff4aed795.png

Awesome! You seem to know a lot about this server stuff.

What does (PLY) mean?

Just now, Meers said:

Awesome! You seem to know a lot about this server stuff.

What does (PLY) mean?

It means you haven't set up a 'short' player name for your ACC driver profile.  So it's set as the default PLY (Player?) short name.

1 minute ago, Meers said:

What does (PLY) mean?

Its the short name you've entered in the in-game profile. Default is PLY for player. If you've changed it and it still remains PLY in game, you need to go to the my files/acc/ and find the .ini file where it is and change it there, thats what I had to do.

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

It means you haven't set up a 'short' player name for your ACC driver profile.  So it's set as the default PLY (Player?) short name.

3 minutes ago, Erik said:

Its the short name you've entered in the in-game profile. Default is PLY for player. If you've changed it and it still remains PLY in game, you need to go to the my files/acc/ and find the .ini file where it is and change it there, thats what I had to do.

Aha, so it's in-game, thought it was server-side. I'll have a look at it then.

21 minutes ago, Meers said:

Aha, so it's in-game, thought it was server-side. I'll have a look at it then.

It's only 'server side' if entry-lists are used; so the old practice server and simracing.gp use entry lists.  But I couldn't import the entry list on the new server (it seems to want me to create a entry-list manually; which is a lot of effort).  

I've switched to a different server manager which is more flexible, and has allowed me to import the entry list.

So should show forum names on the practice server now.

EDIT:  Still a faff.  So I'm not going to bother with entry lists from now on.  There's not really much point anyway.

We are again looking for a endurance driver, this time for RCI's more relaxed - than what we had earlier this year - multiclass enduro world challenge season. Car is GT3 McLaren 720S.

We are entering a AM car and a Silver car, currently with 7 people(4 for silver car, 3 for AM) and one more would be nice so that nobody needs to drive over 4 or 5 hours. You dont need to drive every race as each team is allowed 4 driver changes after they have a complete team of 4. So just a race or two is okay. Dont worry about your pace - we'll bring you up to speed and in AM pace isnt super quick. This might be your perfect opportunity to experience endurance racing. 😉

Following races are:

Oct 2: 12 h Donington

Nov 6: 6 h Misano

Dec 4: 12 h Bathurst

Jan 8: 6 h Monza

7 minutes ago, Erik said:

We are again looking for a endurance driver, this time for RCI's more relaxed - than what we had earlier this year - multiclass enduro world challenge season. Car is GT3 McLaren 720S.

We are entering a AM car and a Silver car, currently with 7 people(4 for silver car, 3 for AM) and one more would be nice so that nobody needs to drive over 4 or 5 hours. You dont need to drive every race as each team is allowed 4 driver changes after they have a complete team of 4. So just a race or two is okay. Dont worry about your pace - we'll bring you up to speed and in AM pace isnt super quick. This might be your perfect opportunity to experience endurance racing. 😉

Following races are:

Oct 2: 12 h Donington

Nov 6: 6 h Misano

Dec 4: 12 h Bathurst

Jan 8: 6 h Monza

Very tempting! I love the Macca 720 and may be interested in the November 6 race. Seeing as it's a Saturday, I'm only available in the evening. At what time does the race start?

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

Very tempting! I love the Macca 720 and may be interested in the November 6 race. Seeing as it's a Saturday, I'm only available in the evening. At what time does the race start?

These are all Saturday races and for whatever reason have quite early starts, unlike usually. November 6 event starts at 10:00 GMT/UK time and the race itself at 11:00, lasting till some minutes past 17:00.

1 minute ago, Erik said:

These are all Saturday races and for whatever reason have quite early starts, unlike usually. November 6 event starts at 10:00 GMT/UK time and the race itself at 11:00, lasting till some minutes past 17:00.

Awww man, that may not be doable for me. I'll have a look and see what I can do. I'll get back to you.

Yup, new server worked absolutely fine for me too - connected no problem and seemed stable. Improved my time a little, although Oulton really does make me wish my wheel and pedals weren't in a box in storage :). Really hard to be precise at corners like the first one and the chicanes on the pad.

27 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Yup, new server worked absolutely fine for me too - connected no problem and seemed stable. Improved my time a little, although Oulton really does make me wish my wheel and pedals weren't in a box in storage :). Really hard to be precise at corners like the first one and the chicanes on the pad.

Ooops, I forgot to turn on results logging for the new server so I don't have a record of your new time (or anyone else that may have been on) :D 

Have just re-configured and restarted.

Got back to a 1.36.0 I think. Either that or a 1.36.1 :) - also got to follow Erik around a bit. Really impressive consistency and speed, can see why you win so much! Thought I'd try to copy some of your lines and stuff but you were just too quick for me. I did, however, get this nice snap of us going through the banked hairpin!

rllmukserver.thumb.png.8e45688ed7aa778f4e2cbf1ee41cb726.png

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Next Thursday: Zolder Sprint