Assetto Corsa Competizione | Next Thursday: Zolder Sprint

davejm

I'm wondering if I should buy this now for the PS4 at £20 - or wait for the PS5 version at £30 - which includes something called the "2020 GT World Challenge Pack DLC" - if that is worth it? 

(I've understood that PS4 owners will get a free update to the PS5 version next year)

47 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Just to check something - should I be setting my wheel rotation to 900’?

Also:

Hmm. What is it with YouTube links not embedding atm?

Yeah set it to 900, on PC it'll adjust the lock automatically depending on car

Feeling more comfortable around Oulton Park.  Had a couple of shitty sessions, but a really good one just now.

I can't get close to my fastest lap in the Ferrari (low 1:34), but I've been concentrating on race fuel practice and managed to get into the low 1:36s with a pretty full tank.

Much more confident about Thursday now.  Just need to keep dipping in with some practice this week so I don't forget some of the track nuances that I've discovered (the bumps are a killer in the Macca!).

Haha. I sometimes resort to that, can't say I've had much luck finding any for McLaren aside from the ones that cost money and I always feel like that's somehow a step over the line for me. Has anybody else tried that? I'm always curious to seeing if it'll magically make me faster but the free ones I've tried on any cars before are a crapshoot between making improvements and making it undriveable for me. 

15 hours ago, davejm said:

image.png.9efa4e50b621ed94bc4bf8e4c65c6330.png

I'm still very impressed to be just 1.3 seconds behind the fastest time. And that was still with my P1 rim. Hopefully I can be a bit more competitive with the Macca rim.

I spent about an hour last night trying to figure out the button mapping for ACC. Suffice it to say, it wasn't easy. Here's what I've come up with:

image.thumb.png.a01e6555829c4be10c4daca9328eb9c5.png

The shift button (as most of you know) is used for tertiary functions (holding a button is secondary). I use it for the various functions for the wipers, lights and indicators. And because I get better performance when I don't use mirrors (even in 1080p), I use look left/right/back to see who's where around me (as well as radar, proximity arrows and Crew Chief). The ignition (short press) and starter (long press) are on one button, which is very handy. You can't map the mode dial by the way, it can be used for analogue and digital presets, and a custom one.

Have I missed anything?

I won't be able to make the race this Thursday, my younger brother is visiting the Netherlands this week so doing touristy stuff with him. May be for the better as I've had no chance to get into the sim since the last race, it has been extra busy in work, plenty of late calls with the offices in the US which meant I missed the AC night as well AGHHH. I hope to make the next one, from the AC thread it sounded like you guys had great fun. If people are interested I'd like to suggest the new convoy multiplayer mode in Euro Truck Simulator or American Truck Simulator for a mid week break, could be nice to cruise the highways in trucks with traffic.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

I spent about an hour last night trying to figure out the button mapping for ACC. Suffice it to say, it wasn't easy. Here's what I've come up with:

image.thumb.png.a01e6555829c4be10c4daca9328eb9c5.png

I'm planning to get this rim as well when I get a CSL DD, can the analogue paddles be set as look right/left, so depending how far you press is how far you turn. I'm not sure if that's even doable in game.

45 minutes ago, milko said:

@Meers push-to-talk? Or is that 'comms'?

I don't know if it's any use (eg for ABS up/down) but it's pretty simple to have only one button for MFD since there's only 3/4 pages, just cycle through.

Comms is indeed push-to-talk via Discord.

36 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

I won't be able to make the race this Thursday, my younger brother is visiting the Netherlands this week so doing touristy stuff with him.

Just don't show him Volendam. 😅

37 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

I'm planning to get this rim as well when I get a CSL DD, can the analogue paddles be set as look right/left, so depending how far you press is how far you turn. I'm not sure if that's even doable in game.

I tried that, but there was no way to do it (as far as I'm aware) and I wish you could. It says that they can only be assigned to analogue functions (clutch, throttle, brake, handbrake) but I managed to assign them to the indicators (short press is right blinker, long press is left blinker).

Nevertheless, it's a monster of a rim when you consider the value for money factor. It's very confortable to drive with, has better feedback and turning feel than my old P1 and has a sturdy build quality to it.

32 minutes ago, Meers said:

Just don't show him Volendam. 😅

Ha we actually brought him there a couple years ago with the rest of my family, it's a very short hop over from my place, he was a moody uninterested teenager then. He's 19 now so still a moody teenager but he's interested in other things like the coffeeshops this visit. So I'm making sure he still sees some sights while visiting that isn't the inside of a smokey room.

44 minutes ago, Meers said:

It says that they can only be assigned to analogue functions (clutch, throttle, brake, handbrake) but I managed to assign them to the indicators (short press is right blinker, long press is left blinker).

I'm super excited to get the mclaren rim wheel, will be my first open wheel. I guess if you got it to work for the indicators I may be able to get something to work. I wonder if the steam controller configurator could be the answer to changing how the game reads the input from the paddle. Seems like you really have everything covered for ACC though.

8 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Seems like you really have everything covered for ACC though.

I think so too. I'll have a look at that Steam controller configurator thing you mentioned to see if you can change even more things. I'd love to have the look left/right on the paddles as well.

2 hours ago, Meers said:

... but I managed to assign them to the indicators (short press is right blinker, long press is left blinker).

How did you achieve this witchcraft? I can only get them to bind to an axis input.

12 minutes ago, winky said:

How did you achieve this witchcraft? I can only get them to bind to an axis input.

I used setting A (clutch bite point) and set the bite point on the right paddle as a full press (not half-way). Then in the ACC controls, I assigned the indicators to it. Left paddle is still the clutch, which I don't use. Hence I'd rather have them as a look left/right paddles, but for some reason you can't.

@winky, I'm an idiot. :doh:

Yet again I have not updated something in my system. I have not updated my wheel's firmware when I attached it to the base, so it still ran in the old P1 rim's firmware.

image.thumb.png.8c22d1fc12363c44f1e4c2bb46d73988.png

I've now installed the new firmware for it (from Fanatec's website):

image.png.f17b5d1f60d5563a96fb8d9d029d728e.png

...and now the analogue paddles are truly analogue. They were still digital in the old FW, apparently. :doh:

...which means no more indicators on the paddle. 

The annoying part is that there is at least a second for me out there, but I just couldn't put it together in a good lap yesterday. Wasn't my day though, so I hope to be alright come race day - the Porsche works better than I would have expected at Oulton.

15 hours ago, davejm said:

Pleased with my practice sessions so far.  I can't get anything close to that low 1:34 but I've managed to bring my race fueled lap times right down so I'm hoping for some consistency and good race pace come Thursday.

Where did you land on that sweeping 5th gear corner, Dave? Just curious. Done a little high fuel load practice myself and then a little low fuel just to see. As usual though a bit too messy to be happy with, but I can get pretty decent laptimes even when the lines I'm taking are making me grumble so I shouldn't be too downhearted. Tried to tinker with setup again, got nowhere good again.

7 hours ago, milko said:

Where did you land on that sweeping 5th gear corner, Dave? Just curious. Done a little high fuel load practice myself and then a little low fuel just to see. As usual though a bit too messy to be happy with, but I can get pretty decent laptimes even when the lines I'm taking are making me grumble so I shouldn't be too downhearted. Tried to tinker with setup again, got nowhere good again.

Ah yes, I was going to mention this.  Well reminded.  I've changed my approach so I'm braking slightly (and coming down to 4th) then getting on the throttle earlier 👍

Is that turn 4 (Island Bend) you guys are talking about? I'm in 5th gear for that, lifting into the entry, hit the kerb and on the throttle again towards Shell corner. Managed to gain some time through there and improved my lap with .4th of a second last night. I still see room for improvement here and there, but this is pretty much it for me with the limited practice time I've had.

The new firmware update for my wheel and base has greatly improved the feedback and I feel so much more detail now. It's also become more precise, which helps in certain technical corners such as Britten's Chicane. I bloody love this circuit. I hate it that we don't have more circuits like this here in the NL.

image.thumb.png.e3050eb45c90348e587fc893371517fa.png

Yeah turn 4.  I was lifting and staying in 5th to start with, but the alien hot lap guys seem to be braking and shifting down then getting on throttle earlier and the car does feel more planted approaching the hairpin this way.

6 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah turn 4.  I was lifting and staying in 5th to start with, but the alien hot lap guys seem to be braking and shifting down then getting on throttle earlier and the car does feel more planted approaching the hairpin this way.

Interesting. I might give that approach a go as well. My setup feels pretty planted and fast around there in 5th, and braking and shifting down to 4th may seem slower but you can probably win some time that you otherwise lose with lifting the throttle?

30 minutes ago, Meers said:

I bloody love this circuit. I hate it that we don't have more circuits like this here in the NL.

I fear this is probably the worst track in the game for battling and overtakes though. Very narrow, most of the track is single line, no straights. I've seen some Brit GT and ACC races here and even in GT4 overtakes seem to only happen after a big mistake or by pushing the other guy off the track.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Next Thursday: Zolder Sprint