Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Yeah, I saw Aris choose different pads for the front and rear to get around limitations of what you can do with car setup.  Interesting stuff, and yeah I go with pads 2 for GT4.

Morning guys.  It's race day!  Who's up for some fun on the mountain?

Main difference from the normal sprint format is the shorter qualifying session and slightly longer race.

image.png.95a6a7ff6423dd8cdb5a029a485bb1e5.png

Practice timings...

image.png.e541ccd24dc100a0d8095e2e6e6ca0e8.png

I can't say I enjoyed last night practice. Think I may have to sort my discord (again). Couldn't hear anyone and there was enough people on !

Tried 3 cars before I settled on the Aston. Still haven't painted it !

8 hours ago, milko said:

*still, any Porsche tips welcome, I've only really bothered doing pressures and pads. Feel like I'm maybe understeering a bit but I don't know really.

Are you running the default aggressive setup?  If so, I was doing pretty much the same last night and the car didn't feel particularly understeery.  I did raise the rear ride height so it was the same as the front, but that's the only change I made other than standard pressures/pads.

If you're still understeering later, you could try upping the rear ride height first and if that doesn't help, also try softening the front, or stiffening the rear, anti-roll bars.

I suspect it would be very easy to tip the balance of the car over to nasty corner exit oversteer though, so be cautious with any changes!

1 hour ago, mrben09 said:

I can't say I enjoyed last night practice. Think I may have to sort my discord (again). Couldn't hear anyone and there was enough people on !

Tried 3 cars before I settled on the Aston. Still haven't painted it !

I'm not sure any of us were in the main discord channel though, @BalhamBadger and I weren't anyway as we were chatting about the game/house renovations etc and didn't want to annoy everyone else!!

I think managed a 2:13.7 in the Porsche, 2:13.5 or so best sectors. I dont know if my changes made it faster or slower, but I lowered rear wing to minimum, rear toe-in to zero and reduced front toe. First laps on cold and low pressure tyres it behaves interestingly, but understeer is mostly gone and it can do the Quarry turn flat out. Keep the foot down, turn in early and close your eyes :P

1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

we were chatting about the game/house renovations etc and didn't want to annoy everyone else!!

Well how do you know @mrben09 isn't into renovations? I'm a structural engineer so I'd definitely be interested, so next time invite us!!111!!111one

3 minutes ago, Erik said:

I think managed a 2:13.7 in the Porsche, 2:13.5 or so best sectors. I dont know if my changes made it faster or slower, but I lowered rear wing to minimum, rear toe-in to zero and reduced front toe. First laps on cold and low pressure tyres it behaves interestingly, but understeer is mostly gone and it can do the Quarry turn flat out. Keep the foot down, turn in early and close your eyes :P

Blimey, zero rear wing/no rear tow sounds like it would make it a handful over the mountain!!

Think I may have to sort my discord (again). Couldn't hear anyone and there was enough people on !

I was in the same Discord channel as you, chatting away to you and got nothing back.  Rude! ;)

(good luck getting it sorted for tonight)

Think I may have to sort my discord (again). Couldn't hear anyone and there was enough people on !

I was in but ended up not saying anything I think - I do find the volumes in there low for a few people though! 

16 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Are you running the default aggressive setup?

Yeah, in fairness my perception may just be the way it goes for GT4 and I’m just getting used to the lack of aero assistance. I’ve watched a hot lap done in the same car and I’m mostly doing the more or less the same inputs on the corners where I know I’m about right, so it’s mainly figuring out how to do the “down the mountain” part better. Which I won’t have time to do, heh. 

8 minutes ago, milko said:

I was in but ended up not saying anything I think - I do find the volumes in there low for a few people though! 

Right-click on a person's tab and adjust the volume accordingly. I had to do that to hear you guys over the roar of the engine.

Just now, Meers said:

Right-click on a person's tab and adjust the volume accordingly. I had to do that to hear you guys over the roar of the engine.

I only find out once I’m in VR though, I can’t do any of this stuff! I boosted the overall discord volume but I might have to do it again. 

Just now, milko said:

I only find out once I’m in VR though, I can’t do any of this stuff! I boosted the overall discord volume but I might have to do it again. 

I've never used VR so I may say something silly now...but can't you just lift the headset to look at the monitor (pre-race ofc.) and adjust the volumes?

I'm the proud owner of @SharkyOB's old Oculus Rift S! Oh my lord, this is what I've been waiting for all my life, my brain really thinks it's there, no words really, love it. Raced against the AI and what I liked the most was being able to closely follow a car, bumper to bumper and actually feeling the distance confidently. Also mirrors! Also apexes! Wow. I feel slower though, need to get used to it. My computer is really struggling at the moment as well, everything at low, resolution at 70 and still not ideal fps and getting micro-freezes. And I need to get my VR legs sorted. I'll join you guys for the first race but might only do one as I don't wanna push it and feel sick :)

Thanks Matt! 

26 minutes ago, Meers said:

I've never used VR so I may say something silly now...but can't you just lift the headset to look at the monitor (pre-race ofc.) and adjust the volumes?

The monitor just shows the VR helmet output... also I'm about two metres away to sit at my wheel! I might be able to alt-tab out I guess, I'm always a bit afraid to do it in case something hangs. And my pre-race tends to be about five minutes of cramming before qualification starts as I'm always barely able to make our start times, it's stressful enough already :)

Hi everyone,

I'm Daniel,  a new member to the forum and joining over from the powerq server after the fun mixed class event a few weeks ago :D. Looking forward to jumping into tonights GT4 race on the mountain with little preparation. The race times listed are in BST correct? 

See you all on track soon!

29 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

I'm the proud owner of @SharkyOB's old Oculus Rift S! Oh my lord, this is what I've been waiting for all my life, my brain really thinks it's there, no words really, love it. Raced against the AI and what I liked the most was being able to closely follow a car, bumper to bumper and actually feeling the distance confidently. Also mirrors! Also apexes! Wow. I feel slower though, need to get used to it. My computer is really struggling at the moment as well, everything at low, resolution at 70 and still not ideal fps and getting micro-freezes. And I need to get my VR legs sorted. I'll join you guys for the first race but might only do one as I don't wanna push it and feel sick :)

Thanks Matt! 

Oof, sounds really taxing. What are your PC's specs, for reference?

10 minutes ago, milko said:

The monitor just shows the VR helmet output... also I'm about two metres away to sit at my wheel! I might be able to alt-tab out I guess, I'm always a bit afraid to do it in case something hangs. And my pre-race tends to be about five minutes of cramming before qualification starts as I'm always barely able to make our start times, it's stressful enough already :)

Hmmm, makes sense. Can't you use the monitor as a second display (and the VR goggles as the main one) like I do with my laptop screen and TV?

6 minutes ago, texlex45 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm Daniel,  a new member to the forum and joining over from the powerq server after the fun mixed class event a few weeks ago :D. Looking forward to jumping into tonights GT4 race on the mountain with little preparation. The race times listed are in BST correct? 

See you all on track soon!

Welcome Daniel! Very nice of you to join us and can't wait to race together!

All times are BST indeed. The Britons start a bit earlier to compensate for the guy on CET (so far just me), which is very nice of them. :)

So where are you guys from, @Erik, @EuroVapeSim2 and @texlex45?

1 minute ago, Meers said:

Hmmm, makes sense. Can't you use the monitor as a second display (and the VR goggles as the main one) like I do with my laptop screen and TV?

Not by default it seems. Maybe there's a way. Still can't get past that I wouldn't be able to read it from my driving seat though!

3 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Thanks Matt! 

No probs mate, thanks for giving it a good home!!

I'm sure we can get better performance from your PC as it is, I was using the same setup (although with a slightly better processor) and frame rate wise it was pretty good.  You'll probably find once you have the tray tool installed you can force frame smoothing and bump up certain settings in game; having temporal AA on high or epic makes a huge difference to the image in VR and doesn't seem to affect the frame rate that much.

Off topic, but If you do decide to upgrade this the best processor you can get for your motherboard:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294155602953?epid=222768395&hash=item447d0a4c09:g:vq0AAOSwP8RgjuY4

Fortunately, the processor market hasn't gone insane so you can get them for decent money.

I will be unavailable tonight, but might be able to race next week. I will see.

@MeersI'm from Finland. I have played racing and rally games every now and then for years, but two years ago I decided to give iRacing a proper try. I liked it, but when my subscription time ran out I didnt renew it. I felt it was too difficult, a little odd or unrealistic in some areas, not rewarding enough and way, way too expensive. Then came ACC, I started improving quickly, having more fun and now I'm addicted.

In ACC I am currently mainly focused on endurance racing and RCI World Tour endurance championship. This championship has one race in a month for a total of 6, and they are between 3 and 24 hours each. Depending on race and team there are 2 to 5 players driving each car, and the grid has up to 40 cars, though typically around 34 or so. I dont know what we will do once this championship finishes in June, but we might try to find one or two more drivers and enter 2 cars in next championship or one-off events.

I'm sure some of you know what endurance races are from personal experience or from following streamers, like Jimmy Broadbent, who have driven enduros in iRacing, ACC or rFactor 2. If there is interest, I will later write something about endurance racing and my own experiences in preparing for and participating in them.

Finland! Awesome! You're even an hour ahead of me then (NL). @davejm, race starts at 19:00 BST? :lol:

The endurance race thing is something I would be well up for some time. Maybe we could form a team here on rllmuk and participate?

27 minutes ago, texlex45 said:

Based in Germany at the moment but from Switzerland so adding on to the CET crew ;)

Ha, great! More 'offlanders' as the British guys would say. ;)

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Oof, sounds really taxing. What are your PC's specs, for reference?

Although I'm a massive geek in most things in life, I know nothing about PCs. It's some sort of i5, 16GB RAM, don't know the graphics card, you remember what it is @SharkyOB?

29 minutes ago, Meers said:

Finland! Awesome! You're even an hour ahead of me then (NL). @davejm, race starts at 19:00 BST? :lol:

The endurance race thing is something I would be well up for some time. Maybe we could form a team here on rllmuk and participate?

I'm also based in the Netherlands, I'm not Dutch but slowly learning your difficult language.

I'm hoping to build up my ability to do longer endurance races, I would be interested in the future to maybe participate in a team even if it's not as driver but helping out as spotter and odd bits needed.

Playing around with the second new server hosts... there are some annoyances:-

• Each time you start an 'event' (even if you're just restarting an existing one) it creates a new server instance entirely... so you have to enter the password every time.  So bear that in mind as you'll need to have the password in your clipboard (or brain) ready.
  • Due to it creating a new server instance each time I restart; it takes minutes to appear in ACC rather than seconds :(
  • I can't edit the config files directly, and all config is done through a UI that they've created.  The UI that they have doesn't currently allow you to create a second qualifying and race session within the same race weekend.  So for tonight (and future sprint weeks) I'm going to have to kill the server after the first one is finished, then restart manually.
31 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Although I'm a massive geek in most things in life, I know nothing about PCs. It's some sort of i5, 16GB RAM, don't know the graphics card, you remember what it is @SharkyOB?

It's a GTX 1070.  Geek points for me :D

2 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

I'm the proud owner of @SharkyOB's old Oculus Rift S! Oh my lord, this is what I've been waiting for all my life, my brain really thinks it's there, no words really, love it.

Excellent post - welcome to the world of VR - its amazing

Although TBH, my first thought was actually "oh shit, he's going to be even faster now!"  :lol:

Looks like you may have a new championship challenger in the shape of @Erik, based on his rather brisk practice timings...