Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

1 hour ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

I'm also based in the Netherlands, I'm not Dutch but slowly learning your difficult language.

You have my sympathies. 3rd most difficult language to learn, after Mandarin and Hebrew. (apparently)

1 hour ago, SANtoOos said:

Although I'm a massive geek in most things in life, I know nothing about PCs. It's some sort of i5, 16GB RAM, don't know the graphics card, you remember what it is @SharkyOB?

39 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

It's a GTX 1070.  Geek points for me :D

Oh that's the same card I bought off Dave for my future system. That will do the job nicely. The i5 might be a bottleneck just as the one in my laptop, That's why I'm going for a Ryzen 5 3600X for the new build. The i7 that Matt pointed you towards is even faster than that, so it's a good idea to swap it out. 16GB should be alright for ACC, as it uses about 7GB of RAM.

I realise my new build won't be ideal for VR, but maybe I'll save that for when the tech becomes more affordable and less hardware-demanding (yeah, right).

Jesus christ lads, I'm going crazy, this is incredible.... Don't even wanna know what my new neighbours think of me as I shout in absolute awe driving the car.... The hands on the wheel feel like mine, I get butterflies in my stomach and my body feels like it gets thrown around as I go round the corners, and up/down the dips , that feeling of gravity in your gut....... Oh my lord..... I can actually smell stuff in the car hahaha

Sharky helped me out with some settings, got Oculus Tray Tool working and that has massively stabilised the frame rate, resolution up to 80 on single player, will try with a field of cars now. Also setting the correct interpupillary distance seems to have really helped the immersion and I'm also getting less eye strain. 

@Valver honestly not expecting to get faster, actually went a lot slower yesterday, hope I get used to it quick :lol:but I'm expecting it will go some ways in improving that vague feeling of "where the limit is" in my setup, and to me immersion is everything, so I'll be having a lot of fun! Also battling cars should be more exciting and less stressful. 

Thanks @Meers might look to get that processor! 

10 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Jesus christ lads, I'm going crazy, this is incredible.... Don't even wanna know what my new neighbours think of me as I shout in absolute awe driving the car.... The hands on the wheel feel like mine, I get butterflies in my stomach and my body feels like it gets thrown around as I go round the corners, and up/down the dips , that feeling of gravity in your gut....... Oh my lord..... I can actually smell stuff in the car hahaha

Bloody hell, are you trying to sell me one?! *goes to look at prices*

NO! I MUST RESIST.

Edit: holy shit, expensive. 

23 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Sharky helped me out with some settings, got Oculus Tray Tool working and that has massively stabilised the frame rate, resolution up to 80 on single player, will try with a field of cars now. Also setting the correct interpupillary distance seems to have really helped the immersion and I'm also getting less eye strain. 

@Valver honestly not expecting to get faster, actually went a lot slower yesterday, hope I get used to it quick :lol:but I'm expecting it will go some ways in improving that vague feeling of "where the limit is" in my setup, and to me immersion is everything, so I'll be having a lot of fun! Also battling cars should be more exciting and less stressful. 

Thanks @Meers might look to get that processor! 

I was slower and a lot more inconsistent to start with... but after a couple of weeks was much faster :)

35 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Wait until you have a little panic because you don't have a seat belt on! I've had that a couple of times now :) 

Welcome to the frankly amazing world of VR racing. Shout if you want a copy of my ACC VR settings. I've spent a year tinkering with them now. Main thing that makes a difference to performance is the resolution %. Mine runs at 85% ish, but some tracks are more resource intensive than others.

(RX5700XT / Ryzen 7 @SharkyOB;) )

3 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Wait until you have a little panic because you don't have a seat belt on! I've had that a couple of times now :) 

Welcome to the frankly amazing world of VR racing. Shout if you want a copy of my ACC VR settings. I've spent a year tinkering with them now. Main thing that makes a difference to performance is the resolution %. Mine runs at 85% ish, but some tracks are more resource intensive than others.

(RX5700XT / Ryzen 7 @SharkyOB;) )

Yes! Crashes are actually scary. 

Deffo up for the settings if anyone has any VR tips, not much I can do though, everything on minimum, only antialiasing on high and resolution on 70. 

Guys... the server will need manually restarting between the first and second races and it might take a couple of minutes to come back on-line (a quirk of the new hosts).

I'll let you know in voice chat what's happening.  I've sent an invite to the Discord channel to the new guys.

The second session will have a short practice session just until every re-connects; then I'll forward to second quali.

Wow. Feeling pretty knackered after that, no practice on GT4 or Bathurst and my first go on VR. VERY different experience. More intense in every way, you have to work much harder, but feels so satisfying as well. Things that took a quick glance of an eye on a flat screen (pressures, fuel check, leaderboard check), now take longer and a lot more neck muscle and brain energy. You get used to it though I'm sure. There were a few moments I felt I was there, felt the sun on my arms, my brain is happy creating all those sensations! 

Unfortunately it's not running very well, it's pretty choppy all the time which makes it much harder to drive at the limit. Definitely not driving how I want to.... but after tasting this sweet nectar I don't think I can go back. Hopefully I can make it better on this system.

Driving side by side is actually FUN, instead of stressing the hell out of me. There was a bit @SharkyOB and @Count Buffalos were side by side and I was trying to squeeze through and it just felt like the best time ever. You can actually confidently give each other space and race hard (apart from that tap, sorry @Valver, good catch)

Don't feel ill either, that's good!

24 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Things that took a quick glance of an eye on a flat screen (pressures, fuel check, leaderboard check), now take longer and a lot more neck muscle and brain energy

yeah, I’ve been known (as recently as, erm, today’s first race) to be trying to take all that stuff in on a straight, then glance up and go “hmm, shit, that’s the 50m sign” as I plunge off the end of the road. It’s tricky!

Good fun tonight as ever! I am a bit apprehensive about my GT4 skill levels for this season but maybe it’s just that this track is extremely deadly. I had a couple of short lived fun battles in there, generally ended up by some kind of wall visit. 

Oh @SANtoOosyou can go into some menus in ACC and bring in the HUD displays so they aren’t so far out to the edges of vision. It still means you have to look but it’s not quite such a stretch. 

2 minutes ago, milko said:

Oh @SANtoOosyou can go into some menus in ACC and bring in the HUD displays so they aren’t so far out to the edges of vision. It still means you have to look but it’s not quite such a stretch. 

And you can also change the distance and scale of the hud too. Shift + arrow keys is distance and shift + ctrl + arrows is scale. 

1 hour ago, SANtoOos said:

You can actually confidently give each other space and race hard (apart from that tap, sorry @Valver, good catch)

Its in the highlights video (timecode 4.45 ish), I bounce up on two wheels as I hit the curb sideways, and amazingly collect it all up and carry on without having a massive accident

No real harm done.  Glad you enjoyed racing in VR.

I got a similar cheeky punt in the rear from young @davejm in the second race.  Couldn't save that one though...

Congrats to our race winners tonight @texlex45 and @SharkyOB 

Highlights from Race 1:

Highlights from Race 2:

Bonus "Code Brown" moment I had in the mountain section towards the start of race 1 (from my in car POV).  I made it through  without losing my no claims bonus based on pure luck and instinct:

11 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Driving side by side is actually FUN, instead of stressing the hell out of me. There was a bit @SharkyOB and @Count Buffalos were side by side and I was trying to squeeze through and it just felt like the best time ever. You can actually confidently give each other space and race hard (apart from that tap, sorry @Valver, good catch)

This was the best bit of the evening for me, a great one lap scrap with @SharkyOB, brilliant stuff. I was beset by a stuttering frame rate during both races which I couldn’t iron out. Even playing a bit of hot stint afterwards was problematic. However, a reboot of the game a few minutes later seemed to solve the issue, it was all very strange.

Unfortunately I set my pressures too high in race one which resulted in an embarrassing spin in the one place you don't want to have an embarrassing spin. Sitting there like a lemon hoping drivers coming through would see me wasn't much fun, apologies chaps. I needed to sit the rest of the race out to calm myself :D

I was pleased with my pace in race 2 until I ran out of fuel. I haven't played ACC for a few weeks and I was wracking my brain before the race as to how to calculate fuel requirements. I obviously got it wrong and no amount of fuel saving was going to help. I waved the white flag a little after @SneakyNinja sailed past me with about 4 minutes to go. Oh well, onward and upward. I did, however, enjoy racing GT4s, despite the proliferation of Porsches.

8 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

proliferation of Porsches.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might try something different.  Maybe the Alpine.

Really enjoyed last night, but I kept making silly mistakes which meant I couldn't keep up with @texlex45.  I think I had the pace when I was on it, but I defo didn't deserve that win in race 2.  Love driving these cars though, so much more pliable than the super stiff aero-dependant GT3s.  I really enjoy driving both classes, but the novelty of these cars is great.

7 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yeah, I'm thinking I might try something different.  Maybe the Alpine.

Can also recommend the Camaro for that raunchy American sound :D

7 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Love driving these cars though, so much more pliable than the super stiff aero-dependant GT3s.  I really enjoy driving both classes, but the novelty of these cars is great.

It reminds me a bit of how you have to drive the Mazda in iRacing. All about maintaining momentum and keeping speed up. Definitely a nice change of pace from the GT3 cars.

On Monday I will also be giving VR a try for the first time so hopefully my experiences will be as vivid as @SANtoOos's 

Thanks for having me yesterday and looking forward to the league soon!

24 minutes ago, davejm said:

So the new server has a webpage that shows all the results of any sessions as they happen...

https://rllmuk.emperorservers.com/results

Server is running for Hungaroring practice now.

That server is spitting out a lot of data!  Just took a look at all the laptimes and so on.  One thing that caught my eye was the red "C" icon on some laps.  e.g.  

What were you doing @Meers?! :sherlock:

Image1.jpg

43 minutes ago, Valver said:

What were you doing @Meers?! :sherlock:

Image1.jpg

No idea really. Lap 6 and lap 10? I'll check the replay and follow up on it later.

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Bloody cheat :lol:;)

The 'shortcut' I took over The Chase in race 2 will probably show up like that too!

Ha! 

Yeah it may have been that when I missed my braking point at the top of the hill at the start of the downhill section.

50 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

That looks like a cool site Dave.

Yeah, the extra UI layer is a cool feature.  Despite the annoyances (minutes rather than seconds for server spin-up, no access to the JSON config files, some lack of options for multi session races) the stuff they do have is nifty.  It will make it easier if I'm away because I can set races to start/stop on a schedule if need be.  And the results pages are good.

12 hours ago, Valver said:

Bonus "Code Brown" moment I had in the mountain section towards the start of race 1

You can just see me in that clip having navigated my own similar moment around @Count Buffalos but without the added complication of a second car at least. I later had a similar one passing you and Dave's little contretemps! It'll be interesting to see if these GT4s are still so incident-prone when we hit the league races on more 'normal' racetracks.

5 minutes ago, milko said:

It'll be interesting to see if these GT4s are still so incident-prone when we hit the league races on more 'normal' racetracks.

Well last time we raced them at Suzuka and Imola, and that was pretty fantastic really. It's just Barfhurst that always throws spanners in the works. I love how dynamic and exciting it is as a racetrack, but actually racing on it is mental.

Yeah, I remember at least Imola seemed to have a fair few offs, albeit maybe they were less smashy and perhaps the rain was to blame. It's fun either way, I don't mind! Until someone takes me out from a good points position then it's going to be toys out of the pram probably no more than I'll karmically deserve already.