Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

13 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I reckon that'll come pretty quickly. It's a great place to race door handle to door handle, safe in the knowledge that people won't lunge down the inside and use you as a braking zone, or punt you off on purpose.

I hope so I've really enjoyed racing against everyone here and only want it to get better.

I may have to subject myself to some open lobby monza races so I can work on my awareness of the surroundings in the car.

19 minutes ago, Meers said:

Let's converse in Dutch next time we're on. Alleen al om iedereen in verwarring te brengen. ;)

Wauw wat een omgedraaide zin, dat was moeilijk te begrijpen voor mij. 

You could easily confused me as well as the others.

52 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Race 2 was overall better but still quite sloppy from me with plenty of mistakes. It was super stressful seeing @SharkyOB close the gap multiple times over the race and in the final lap he was alongside practically the whole way down Wellington straight and I stupidly cut across the braking zone into brooklands which only spun me thankfully. After thinking back on this move from me I think I was trying to way to aggressive to hold the position/squeeze sharky into the apex and I should have tried to stick with him as I might have had the inside line luffield and woodcote had I kept my corner speed up. I had decent pace around silverstone but my real lack of actual racing experience showed yesterday, its something I need to work on as it will only be a matter of time before I actually ruin someones race and not get off lucky like I did in this race still finishing in 4th place.

No probs mate, it was a good battle and it's just a shame it ended like that.  Just as a general thing, last night you did seem to be pretty aggressive in defending your position, I think sometimes a bit to your detriment in terms of losing too much laptime.  I had a run on you a few times and you went all the way to the inside on the track, which obvs left me no way to pass, but also cost both of us quite a bit of laptime as you were slow through the next corner.  It's a tricky one really, because I don't think anyone should just jump out of the way when someone's passing, but sometimes you cost yourself by defending too hard.

With the last incident, I knew if I just went to the inside you'd have done the same as above, so I intentionally went to the outside then swung across behind you so I could get alongside before you could close the door.  I was really surprised when you came across in front in the braking zone but you've covered that above, sorry about the exclamation on the mic though!!

Not saying I'm perfect or anything!  I was quite scrappy in both races and my pace was a little inconsistent.  I should've passed you into Vale early in race 2 but outbraked myself and went wide letting you back through.

30 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Just as a general thing, last night you did seem to be pretty aggressive in defending your position, I think sometimes a bit to your detriment in terms of losing too much laptime.

Yeah I really need to think about how I go about racing. I wasn't measured in my defense at all, it was all or nothing and I know this isn't the best way to race but behind the wheel it wasn't even a thought in my head. You were clearly faster than me, maybe I should've let you through to try and follow as best I could.

35 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

sorry about the exclamation on the mic though!!

I didn't actually hear anything I was busy cursing myself out for my own stupidity.

52 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Wauw wat een omgedraaide zin, dat was moeilijk te begrijpen voor mij. 

You could easily confused me as well as the others.

Yeah, that wasn't a textbook sentence really. Dutch grammar makes no sense sometimes.

4 hours ago, texlex45 said:

Had a great first race with @Erik. Tight and close racing throughout, just a shame it ended with a clumsy bonk with my chunky chevy front end 😅 Not used to those huge front engines after mainly using Audi. 

2nd Race I got "pirelli'ed" by my internet connection after a good start and getting back into P2. Hope I wasn't too rowdy on the overtake @SANtoOos since I felt you gave me a lot of space? 

Now I am very excited for next week 😄 Favorite track and car combination for me so hoping to really challenge for P1

Its allright. I have killed about third of the grid including some of the fastest competition in a race start so I'm not allowed to complain about others bonking me a bit this year. :D

I couldnt afford to make a mistake there and I had to adjust TC and BB almost corner to corner, very exhausting. Arena section was especially difficult for me, I couldnt get the car turned and 3rd gear was too high, but if I shifted down to 2nd to get it turned it'd kick out the rear and engine brake would make it even slower. I was chasing setup all week and last minute guesswork changes and probably pre-race adjustments for wet conditions just made it worse. Lesson learned, I need to test the car in rain too and stick to what works. I was slowish in race 2 too but with the cars behind me fighting for position it was enough. Cant wait for rainy Zandvoort, with even more long corners!

I see for Kyalami we have 9 participants in  7 different cars. Nice to see this kind of car diversity.

yeah we're pretty good at having different manufacturers in GT3. Not sure why GT4 got so boring, what happened to all the McLarens? I'm going to change next season for sure, I like the Porsche and it actually matches my colour scheme, but it's kinda boring to look at.

It could be because some of the GT4s are pretty difficult or unique to drive. KTM, Alpine, Audi, Ginetta and especially the Maserati. That leaves only 6 others.

I'm quickest in the Porsche after trying at least most of them but I think if I spend long enough in one of the others it'll be fine, and I was nearly as happy in the Chevy. Well, I'll find out for sure next season.

4 hours ago, Meers said:

Oh dagnabbit, sorry. I'll amend it immediately. Cheers for pointing it out!

Edit, sorted.

And another small edit please....  I'm an Alastair, not an Alistair.  But you can call me Al

image.png.1439bcaacd3993285a9398a5c742a437.png

11 minutes ago, Meers said:

I thought the GT4 Porsche is always trying to kill you? Or was that the GT3 one?

991 GT3 R is the one that wants its driver dead. 718 Cayman GT4 is much easier and usually doesnt oversteer. 991.2 GT3 R is somewhere in between the two in that regard

14 minutes ago, Valver said:

And another small edit please....  I'm an Alastair, not an Alistair.  But you can call me Al

image.png.1439bcaacd3993285a9398a5c742a437.png

:lol:

Why can't you guys have simple names like Richard or something?

More hardware problems but this time only audio, occasionally ACC audio would cut out for 5- 10 seconds and could not get discord to work. Regardless I was not enjoying Silverstone practice and with new problems I was nearly going to five it a miss this week, but with such a big field of cars the races were fun as there was some action everywhere. Glad I joined in. Congratulations to the top runners for setting such a fast pace.

We are still waiting for a stewards enquiry into @Meers for exceeding track limits on the last lap of the second race :P. Fists were shook as you went back past me and the team radio was full of colourful language 😀.

I have reformatted my computer and I am in the process of a complete reinstall to try and get hardware working, so hopefully more consistent performance moving forward.

3 hours ago, winky said:

We are still waiting for a stewards enquiry into @Meers for exceeding track limits on the last lap of the second race :P. Fists were shook as you went back past me and the team radio was full of colourful language 😀.

Wait, when did I exceed track limits? I don't remember such a thing. 🤔 😅

29 minutes ago, Meers said:

Wait, when did I exceed track limits? I don't remember such a thing. 🤔 😅

I was only joking mate, I can’t be sure but it might be you had the drive on the better line. Just a bit of fun, I wasn’t serious!

My first race was a great experience. I was the one in the Ginetta I knew I was slow but  anyway I was impressed at how well you all drive.

My main goal was not to ruin someone else race, bump up my safety rating and experience a proper race.

Looking forward getting better at it so at least I can offer some challenge at the lower end.

As a side note I woke up with a serious pain on my right hand that is still not getting any better. It has spoilt the guilty gear launch I was also looking forward to.

It might have been posture and grabbing the wheel with too much tension because of the nerves.

It's very easy to find yourself hunched over and gripping the wheel too tightly with all the adrenaline and focus. I try to remind myself to relax a bit now and again, at least while I'm on straights. I still ended up with a small blister on one little finger last night!

You should be holding the wheel like it's a bird. Tight enough that it can't fly away, but not so tight that you'll hurt the bird. 

I'm not making this up.

In other news, had my first ever visit to Kyalami this evening courtesy of the practice server. 

My times were, as usual, not earth-shattering. But I did learn something very important (which you all know already) - car selection matters.

I started out in an Aston Martin GT3 (I forget if it's the V8 or V12) and wasn't really getting on with it. 

Switched over to the 2019 Porsche GT3 R and immediately found time. A lot of time. Not just tenths but almost four seconds

Best I could manage in the Aston was a 1:53.9. Hopped in the Porsche, almost immediately did a 1:50.1.

Obviously there's loads of time still on the table as well (the GT3 race record is a 1:42 and BMW claims to have set an unofficial record of 1:41 in an M6 GT3) but I was just taken aback by how much quicker I was simply by switching to a car that suits me better. I didn't change the setup or anything. 

Just tried the Kyalami practice. What an amazing circuit! Every lap feels fast, running practice on the circuit is fun. Can see why this is a favourite.

I really struggled in a practice drive just now.  The rear of the car was very very loose - using the default aggressive setup for the 488.  

Track is ace though!

2 hours ago, Valver said:

I really struggled in a practice drive just now.  The rear of the car was very very loose - using the default aggressive setup for the 488.  

Track is ace though!

The Ferrari is really skittish around Kyalami.  It's one of the tracks I struggle with most :(

Crank up TC2 two tics and TC1 down one. Lower rear anti roll bar a tad. Change rear tyres with studded ones, add blown diffuser. 

That homemade thing is like Labo, pretty cool!

Apparently I did a 1.42 in my Honda last time I drove Kyalami, my first half hour back there isn’t really anywhere near that good so far…