Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

25 minutes ago, Erik said:

Honda is tricky but its definitely not slow except maybe on some bumpier tracks like Oulton

I will have to read the rest of the posts more slowly - thanks indeed for all the feedback, that’s amazing. But this! Did you know (well of course not how could you) that I got pole and fastest lap in our last Oulton Park race?! I’d have won it too if I hadn’t had an unfortunate moment coming out of the second chicane that cost two places 😆

4 minutes ago, milko said:

I will have to read the rest of the posts more slowly - thanks indeed for all the feedback, that’s amazing. But this! Did you know (well of course not how could you) that I got pole and fastest lap in our last Oulton Park race?! I’d have won it too if I hadn’t had an unfortunate moment coming out of the second chicane that cost two places 😆

😂

Did you know you should always rev the engine as close to the limiter as possible? Nils Naujoks has some videos where he tests the gearing and drives the Honda. Some of the aliens are also very fast in it. Its no definitely no Jaguar, Aston V12 or REX that are only competitive on a handful of tracks.

32 minutes ago, Erik said:

No major mistakes there. You miss T1, T3 and T7 apexes and in some others you are bit late on throttle. Lots of exit understeer. Try to brake just a tiny bit earlier, 2-3 m is probably enough, and you can let the car run wider and steer less. Apex kerbs upset the car much more than exit kerbs here, just dont hit grass. You also have pretty high TC settings. It allows you to get on throttle early and a lot and keep the car stable, but you are probably better off lowering those settings a bit - Honda has very good TC. I dont see any oversteer on brakes so moving brake balance couple of clicks more rearwards could help you get the car turned. Theres 1:41 in that driving, you just need to polish it a little. :)

Honda is tricky but its definitely not slow except maybe on some bumpier tracks like Oulton. Around Monza my best sectors in the Honda make a 1:46.9, I just need to drive those on the same lap :D

ok, thanks again, I can work on all of this. My best sectors time is indeed a 1:41! I know I’m not hitting all my apexes and I’m sure braking earlier will solve this - I keep trying to do it by trail braking better instead but I’m not skilled enough at it yet. I was finding with lower TC I’d quite often spin on corner exit, heavy right foot problems. 

22 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

No, sorry I ninja edited my post to specify it's most obvious in turn 12 (high speed left hand kink towards the end of the lap), but you must've quoted me before I saved my changes!

When @milko turns into that bend, the car starts bouncing pretty violently, which I don't think is down to bumps.  You can also see the car start to do it in other places too, like the entry to the fast chicane and the exit of turn 11.  I can't imagine that's doing the aero on the car any favours!

I do quite often find myself too far left on that kink and getting a wheel into the grass.

16 minutes ago, Erik said:

It bottoms out. That place is super dangerous in the wet because a big pool of water will form in that left hand kink right where cars bottom out :D

aha… 

7 minutes ago, Erik said:

One can live with it but it can be fixed. Its similar to what happens in Eau Rouge: downhill becomes uphill at high speed which makes the already low to the ground front end fall the way to the pavement. Whether thats a problem depends on where exactly the bottoming out happens, how long, which part of the floor and does the car need downforce there. In Eau Rouge bottoming out while turning can induce snap understeer and missing Raidillon, or even snap oversteer and a spin.

…but how best to fix? I did indeed have a lot of “fun” trying to find a path through that section of Spa too. 

1 minute ago, Erik said:

😂

Did you know you should always rev the engine as close to the limiter as possible? Nils Naujoks has some videos where he tests the gearing and drives the Honda. Some of the aliens are also very fast in it. Its no definitely no Jaguar, Aston V12 or REX that are only competitive on a handful of tracks.

i saw that Nils video with the motec traces of the gears, yeah. Helped explain to me why I don’t feel right with my revs in the same sort of range as a lot of lap guides done in other cars, for sure. Just got to combine high revs with not having the rears slide out on me, at which I am sometimes successful and sometimes very not. 

4 minutes ago, milko said:

ok, thanks again, I can work on all of this. My best sectors time is indeed a 1:41! I know I’m not hitting all my apexes and I’m sure braking earlier will solve this - I keep trying to do it by trail braking better instead but I’m not skilled enough at it yet. I was finding with lower TC I’d quite often spin on corner exit, heavy right foot problems. 

…but how best to fix? I did indeed have a lot of “fun” trying to find a path through that section of Spa too. 

Theres many ways to fix exit oversteer. What works best with least side effects depends on what the problem is exactly. From your video I can see the car is actually understeery on throttle, so maybe its just the immediate wheelspin or torque that you cant control yet. I would first play a little with the TC settings.

Bottoming out can be fixed by raising the car, stiffening wheel rate and moving bumpstops closer. Unfortunately all those have big effects elsewhere on the lap so its usually not an easy fix.

1 hour ago, milko said:

Just got to combine high revs with not having the rears slide out on me... 

At Kyalami I struggle with exit corner traction a lot following turn 10, Leeukop.   I get on the power after apex, and then as the corner progresses the rears spin up and I have to put in an armful of oppo, and in doing so time bleeds away.  I see some others example laps where they just seem to be able to mash the throttle and drive off that corner without any issue and I wonder if my Ferrari is broken :blink2:  I can delay the power input, or only give it maybe half throttle until I'm pointing straight down the hill again, but that feels horribly slow - and I'm too impatient !

me: giphy.gif

@Valver Leeukop is definitely one of the spots where it happens, I can do it quite readily on Crowthorne and Barbeque (lol) as well, and then sometimes on the final exit. For Leeukop specifically I do find that my line is a big part of it, if I've turned in too early or from too narrow an entrance it all seems to feed into that exit snap oversteer risk. But also probably being patient and feeding in the power a little more gradually than a full-on stamp.

Ugh. Only one hour of practice last night and it wasn't good. Got no time tonight either so I'm going in cold this week.

At least I got my setup sorted and the car handles nicely. Going to play the consistency game on this one.

Crikey - I'm in the 1:44's at the mo. My car doesn't seem to like this track and I keep over rotating as I come off the brakes whilst trail braking. 

I'm sure it'll all come together during qually :)

25 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Well I won’t be racing. Laptop was delivered back to me with a half assed repair and courier damage. Not a happy bunny. 

Bugger. That's a shame, on two counts. (No pun intended)

Hope they don't mess you about too much.

I still get freezes every lap in the final sector, they're bad enough to make me miss corners and go off track. Its weird because I have driven here before and I dont recall problems then, and the framerate is good. Trying to solve it

3 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Well I won’t be racing. Laptop was delivered back to me with a half assed repair and courier damage. Not a happy bunny. 

Shit mate, that's so rubbish 😕  Really hope you can get it sorted asap.

bad news, @Count Buffalos, do name 'n shame the gits!

I just had one of those practice sessions where I almost wish I didn't bother. Fixed my setup so I am happy with the turn-in now, it's a lot less understeery. But I just seemed to get progressively worse at actually driving so now I don't know if I trust it or what. Could barely go a lap without losing control by the end, bah. Usually when this happens I'm alright by the next day, so here's hoping 🤞

17 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

My car doesn't seem to like this track and I keep over rotating as I come off the brakes whilst trail braking. 

Same here. The culprit for me is the right hairpin at the end of the lap Turn 13, 'The Crocodiles'). For some reason my car starts to slide under (trail)braking whilst turning in. Only that corner though, so I have to be careful. I think I need to stiffen the front roll bar a bit.

image.thumb.png.b69b548697bb9425a4e992dbde8ccb0c.png

13 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Oh man, that stinks. Hopefully they sort it out for you sharpish. Was looking forward to your return man.

12 hours ago, Erik said:

I still get freezes every lap in the final sector, they're bad enough to make me miss corners and go off track. Its weird because I have driven here before and I dont recall problems then, and the framerate is good. Trying to solve it

This track seems to lower my frame rate depending on the time of day. During the daytime I get 50-55fps, during dusk I get 65-70fps. Very weird. No stuttering or freezes though (ever since my RAM upgrade).

The Netherlands is playing tonight (footy, obvs) so I'll be having that on my 2nd screen tonight.

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

This track seems to lower my frame rate depending on the time of day. During the daytime I get 50-55fps, during dusk I get 65-70fps. Very weird. No stuttering or freezes though (ever since my RAM upgrade).

I noticed something similar yesterday. In single player during the day it was barely playable mess, but it was noticeably better when I joined the practice server where sun was getting low. Very weird. Usually things get worse when sun is low and shadows become long. Maybe its not about shadows at all but something else.

33 minutes ago, Erik said:

I noticed something similar yesterday. In single player during the day it was barely playable mess, but it was noticeably better when I joined the practice server where sun was getting low. Very weird. Usually things get worse when sun is low and shadows become long. Maybe its not about shadows at all but something else.

Due to hardware restrictions I have all forms of special lighting effects set to low, so you'd think that the lack of fancy lighting would make things run better but apparently it still affects performance.

lol @Valver

Sorry for the long post, had a mega ACC session yesterday (5 hours -> VR graphics settings; 2 hours -> actual practice; self isolating like a boss) and had a couple of insights that might be helpful to others.

First of all, a really simple advice from a Zermatt video that changed my mindset and I'm kicking myself for not having thought of that before, so simple and obvious it is. It's to do with visibility, say, when you can't see an apex because the windshield pillar is obscuring it. I used to think "I can't see the apex, where is it, how can I hit the perfect apex??" Zermatt simply said "You know where the apex is, it's right there behind the pillar." 🤦‍♂️ That does 2 things: 1) you come out of that negative mindset (I can't see the apex) and turn it into a positive one (the apex is right there) and that gives you confidence and stops you distracting yourself in the middle of the corner. 2) You can then start projecting in your mind where the apex is, you start seeing through the obstructions. Just thinking of it like that made me more consistent, less worried about getting it wrong, you just stop thinking of it as an issue. 

Secondly, this could be car related, but as there was talk of traction control settings with @milko , I think it would be worth trying in other cars. I always ran really high TC on the Lexus (6 or 7/8) as it doesn't bog this car down like others, and I was still getting to grips with ACC (at first was using a G27 wheel that didn't give me good feedback + a lot of reports of the Lexus being bad on tyre management). Every time I tried to go down, when I got to TC 4, the car suddenly became very power oversteery. That stopped me going any lower because I thought it could only get worse. But it turns out TC 4 is a threshold point on the Lexus (at least with this setup and my driving style), yesterday I went lower (TC 2 and 3) and the car was power oversteering LESS. Probably because TC affects the differential (?), turning it down made the car turn into a corner much easier, meaning I had to have less steering angle out the corners, fighting the car a lot less on corner exit, so I could put the power down earlier and more progressively. This happens to me all the time, I often have what I think is oversteer, and paradoxically the way to fix it is by dialling in MORE oversteer. This gives you easier turn in and less understeer on corner exits, which is actually one of the main culprits of exit oversteer - because you're fighting the car so hard and turning the wheel too much. Not the solution to all oversteer issues but definitely worth trying.

Lastly, my findings for VR use. I pulled up the performance HUD on Oculus Tray Tool (shows you current Hz + performance headroom) and experimented with graphic settings. View Distance didn't seem to sap too many resources so I put that on HIGH. Obviously Resolution made the biggest different to performance. Turning Super Sampling on the OTT from 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 took away about 5-10% of performance headroom at each step (but made it all look so much better, more real and more present). Mirrors made a big change to performance, keep the distance as low as you can deal with (mine is set to 50m now, not ideal but a starting point) and mirror FPS also makes a difference, 1/2 works very well for me. I imagine mirror resolution and quality make a big difference so I left it on low. Personally, I don't pay too much attention to shadows so I'm keeping them on low, but what makes a difference for immersion for me is Textures, so I put that up to MID from LOW, I'd rather have the world looking better than having nice shadows. I've also found that personally I prefer KTAA antialiasing as it makes everything sharper and more defined. Yes, more jagged edges, but I'd rather have a clear apex in the distance rather than a blurry one, and jagged edges don't bother me. Advanced Sharpen Filter used up a considerable amount of performance and made things look really weird if your resolution is as low as mine, so turn that off and turn your regular Sharpness UP. I was able to bump up resolution to 65%. VR pixel density up to 140% makes it all sharper but uses up performance. Happy with how it looks now and it seems stable so far, running 80Hz with only the occasional drop. I'm also slightly overclocking my CPU now and hoping that will help with these changes, if it crashes again I'll have to lower resolution down to 60% or OTT SS to 1.1. 

EDIT: I tested the performance headroom on the practice server and also busy online lobbies, didn't try any AI races so don't know how these changes behave there.

Can anyone remember that in-game overlay posted a while back that helps with fuel calculation whilst racing?  Wanna give it a go and can't find it.

EDIT: Think I've found it.  This one...