Jump to content

Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu


scoobysi
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Meerman said:

 

I've been absent for about 6 years...and after a lot of thinking I still can't figure out who @Thor is (or was rather, Thor's account is from 2018 so he must have re-registered)...except that his real name is M. Adams... Mark?:unsure:

 

It's on the tip of my tongue...:facepalm:

 

He used to be a pirate if that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

 

Any tips for achieving this?  I want to be able to play this so much, but I've never been able to get it running acceptably/looking acceptable on my system :(

What are your specs? I have a pretty beefy machine. I was running the Oculus Tray tool at 1.5 supersampling, and the in game supersampling at 150%, with the resolution scale set to 100%. But I had a lot of other in-game stuff set really low or off (like bloom, fog, etc.). There's definite room for manoeuvre in the supersampling settings. I'll post my settings later. Bear in mind I only tried Monza, and it was smooth with 10 cars visible. If you whack the cars up I'd bet that would tank the framerate.

 

24 minutes ago, Meerman said:

 

I've been absent for about 6 years...and after a lot of thinking I still can't figure out who @Thor is (or was rather, Thor's account is from 2018 so he must have re-registered)...except that his real name is M. Adams... Mark?:unsure:

 

It's on the tip of my tongue...:facepalm:

Ha, I could tell you weren't quite sure who I was. ;) You have my name right. Let's just say I'm not exactly a fan of wannabe pirates. :P

 

edit: I see the mystery has already been solved. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

What are your specs? I have a pretty beefy machine. I was running the Oculus Tray tool at 1.5 supersampling, and the in game supersampling at 150%, with the resolution scale set to 100%. But I had a lot of other in-game stuff set really low or off (like bloom, fog, etc.). There's definite room for manoeuvre in the supersampling settings. I'll post my settings later. Bear in mind I only tried Monza, and it was smooth with 10 cars visible. If you whack the cars up I'd bet that would tank the framerate.

 

Processor is an i7 4790k and graphics card is a GTX 1070, so a middling spec for VR.  Runs every other game to a decent standard but ACC looks awful in comparison.  I'll try turning down the effects in the way you've suggested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

 

Processor is an i7 4790k and graphics card is a GTX 1070, so a middling spec for VR.  Runs every other game to a decent standard but ACC looks awful in comparison.  I'll try turning down the effects in the way you've suggested.

Yeah, I'm on an i9900k and 2080ti, and even with my tweaking it still doesn't look as good as Project Cars 2. I'm guessing ACC just has a lot more going on physics-wise? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I'm on an i9900k and 2080ti, and even with my tweaking it still doesn't look as good as Project Cars 2. I'm guessing ACC just has a lot more going on physics-wise? 

 

Yeah, it's a physics beast.  Think I mentioned this elsewhere, but the AI cars use the same physics as you, which is not how most sims do things (the AI usually use a simplified model which means the game is less demanding, but the AI need balancing against the player and we all know how well that usually works).

 

ACC is also not well optimised for VR at all, as Kunos don't really care about it.  I wish the game was more mod-able, as the community have done amazing things with the first game and they'd probably be able to sort VR out if they were able.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

ACC is also not well optimised for VR at all

I could tell when i was playing this last night, there's stuff going on in the stands (flag waving and the like) that just doesn't need to be there in VR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

ACC is also not well optimised for VR at all, as Kunos don't really care about it.  I wish the game was more mod-able, as the community have done amazing things with the first game and they'd probably be able to sort VR out if they were able.

 

Maybe Ilja (who modded AC with the Content Manager and Sol weather add-ons) has plans to touch up ACC in the future. I may pop him an email later today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I could tell when i was playing this last night, there's stuff going on in the stands (flag waving and the like) that just doesn't need to be there in VR.

 

But that's part of the atmosphere, isn't it. Why would you not need the audience waving their flags in VR?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do any of you guys use Crew Chief at all?  Amazing little app which talks to you while racing, giving useful info about the race/state of your car and also providing a spotter for when you're side-by-side.  It's compatible with pretty much every sim out there and you can set it to use your name as well.  Also has a nice option to turn on swears, I was told in no uncertain terms to 'get past that twat now, you're losing too much time' last night :D

 

An added bonus for VR users is that you can set it up so sound from the game goes through your main source (in my case my amp) and crew chief goes to the speakers/headphones on your headset.  Nice little extra bit of immersion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2020 at 11:04, Meerman said:

 

But that's part of the atmosphere, isn't it. Why would you not need the audience waving their flags in VR?

 

That sort of world movement usually has an impact on frame rates, so there really should be an option to switch it off if you need extra frames for VR.  Possible it's tweakable via a .ini file though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to remember reading that VR wasn’t properly implemented in Unreal, just in a beta branch or something. As Kunos are a relatively small studio it’s probably too much to expect them to make any major strides. I do wonder if they wish they left out VR all together as they’ve copped a fair bit of grief from what is probably a very small percentage of players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a great engine to use for a driving game then.  VR is a natural fit for driving games and I'm sure it'll become more and more necessary to have it over the next few years (and already is as far as I'm concerned).  With games like the new Star Wars dog fighting game fully supporting VR from the get-go, the user base is only going to increase going forwards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Do any of you guys use Crew Chief at all?

 

Yeah I use it, it's amazing. There's nothing like hearing "C'mon Rich, get this bastard, he's holding us up!" :lol:

 

I switched off the pit comms and spotter in ACC's options in favour of CC. So much better.

 

Also, who's using Sim Dashboard? It allows you to make your own dashboard displays or button boxes for use on your phone ot tablet. I have attached a phone holder on my wheel where I can clip my phone into so I can see my own dashboard info instead of the game's. Something like this.

 

@davejm uses it as well I believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In some respects it’s a great engine for a driving game as long as you don’t want VR, probably the best looking SIM at the moment. However it’s also one of the most demanding.

 

I agree VR is a great fit for Driving games, I’d love to have a PC setup (only PSVR) but at the end of the day the development cost is probably not worth it to Kunos vs the player base. It would be interesting to know the numbers of Single vs a Triple vs VR for instance in ACC (or maybe from AC or PCars) but I don’t think they’ve been published.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Meerman said:

 

Yeah I use it, it's amazing. There's nothing like hearing "C'mon Rich, get this bastard, he's holding us up!" :lol:

 

I switched off the pit comms and spotter in ACC's options in favour of CC. So much better.

 

Also, who's using Sim Dashboard? It allows you to make your own dashboard displays or button boxes for use on your phone ot tablet. I have attached a phone holder on my wheel where I can clip my phone into so I can see my own dashboard info instead of the game's. Something like this.

 

@davejm uses it as well I believe.

 

Oh I might give Crew Chief a go, in that case.

 

I used Sim Hub when I played F1 2019 for a bit, with the phone stuck to the front of the wheel...

 

 

  I don't use it with ACC at the moment because the HUD options are better in-game, and LEDs on the wheel work much better in ACC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

 

Oh I might give Crew Chief a go, in that case.

 

I used Sim Hub when I played F1 2019 for a bit, with the phone stuck to the front of the wheel...

 

 

  I don't use it with ACC at the moment because the HUD options are better in-game.

 

Blimey, your FOV really needs sorting out there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

 

Blimey, your FOV really needs sorting out there!

 

It was set to the closest possible that F1 2019 would allow based on an online calculator that I used.  I'm not playing the game any more, but in ACC I've used a calculator and have it set 100% right based on my screen size, aspect ratio and distance to the screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

 

It was set to the closest possible that F1 2019 would allow based on an online calculator that I used.  I'm not playing the game any more, but in ACC I've used a calculator and have it set 100% right.

 

That screenshot looks like a 4:3 image that's been stretched to widescreen.  You should definitely be able to see the mirrors on a screen as wide as that.  Hopefully things are better for you on ACC!

 

Edit - not so sure now I've watched it in motion, might be the angle of the camera being used to record the video that's making it look odd to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SharkyOB - My settings:

 

352830323_DesktopScreenshot2020_06.19-12_04_44.91(2).thumb.png.bc975dc58feb43450fc103f89f6ee657.png

 

792098325_DesktopScreenshot2020_06.19-12_05_03.43(2).thumb.png.a0cce25e6e93737b73123bc15ddda514.png

 

Note: VR Pixel density is 150% when in VR for me, it's greyed out because I took a screenshot from desktop mode.  I also only tested these settings in a 10 car race, so only 9 other cars to worry about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SharkyOB said:

 

That screenshot looks like a 4:3 image that's been stretched to widescreen.  You should definitely be able to see the mirrors on a screen as wide as that.  Hopefully things are better for you on ACC!

 

With a correct FOV I'm pretty sure there's no way I should see mirrors on this screen, even in an F1 car.  It's only a 29 inch screen.  Despite it being close to the back of the wheel, it doesn't give a very large window into the world.  In ACC I have fov (it uses vertical fov, not horizontal) of 25.  So I see the road in front of me at a realistic size but I don't get a wide field of view so I'm not even close to seeing the mirrors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

@Thor

 

Brill, thank you.  Do you use the Oculus Tray Tool?  If so, what are your settings there?

Yes, but all I change in there is the supersampling, which is set to 1.5. Everything else is the default.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, but all I change in there is the supersampling, which is set to 1.5. Everything else is the default.

 

So you're super-sampling in the game and on the tray tool as well?  That might be why you're getting a nice image!!  I'm not sure my PC would be able to handle that.

 

Are you sure that's the right way to do it though?  I've always read you should set super-sampling in the tray tool or in game, not both at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SharkyOB said:

 

So you're super-sampling in the game and on the tray tool as well?  That might be why you're getting a nice image!!  I'm not sure my PC would be able to handle that.

Yep, I believe that's exactly why I'm getting a nice image. I may tweak to see if I can lower one, the other, or both and still maintain an acceptable image quality. One thing that really fucks up the VR image for me is lowering the resolution scale. I read one solution that had it at 50% (the lowest it'll go), and the in game SS to 200%. It was diabolical - well below PSVR quality. 

 

I definitely need to experiment more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next week's race will take place at Barcelona.  Was tied between that and the Nurburgring with two votes, so I just chose one mostly at random.  Brands Hatch and Silverstone also had a vote each, so unless there are any objections lets go with the following schedule:-

 

25/06/2020 - Barcelona

02/07/2020 - Nurburgring

09/07/2020 - Brands Hatch

16/07/2020 - Silverstone

 

If anyone really wants to do any of these and aren't able to make the week in question, let me know and I'll shift it around.

 

The server is back on, and set up with a repeating Barcelona practice session.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll join in this week if that's ok?

 

Still think the game looks a bit shit in VR compared to Assetto Corsa, but I've got it running at an acceptable standard thanks to @Thor's settings.  Had a fun race online at Zandvoort earlier: really is a well behaved crowd online in this game, felt like being in a real race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.