IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT U.S Cup starting Thursday!

davejm

7 minutes ago, milko said:

ha, Windows Defender has just blocked the game from loading for me too FFS.

Wonder if Kunos might have forgotten to sign a certificate or the executable or something else in the file properties that makes defender think it’s malware…sounds like there might b something up with the update. 

As discussed last night, not lapped, didnt impact anyone else, and didnt finish last (due to tech issues for others admittedly) . Success. Not sure how i have 19 points however, I didnt race last week. 

Also my aging GTX970 seems to be holding up well with the new updates. Is the FSR thing turned on in menus or automatic ? @Meers , you mentioned the rain looking better. Reviewing the release notes (apologies, professional geek here) it appears the new unreal engine also included in the update has a new improved water modelling process. 

3 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Is the FSR thing turned on in menus or automatic

I don't think so, I had a play around in the menus last night and the new graphical options were disabled initially.  DLSS made a huge difference for me, everything was so much sharper and I had a better frame rate in VR too.  The changes to the handling were so impressive I completely forgot to mention it!

9 hours ago, milko said:

I really don't know, it's odd that it's identifying a Trojan called Sabsik.TE.A!ml.

Could they actually have managed to mess up and get one in the build and through Steam upload?

A friend sent this to me last night. So that´s the sollution. Pretty logical, but the first tip from Kunos in the newsreel over the forums said to exclude the entire steam folder. Will fix that today and start looking forward to learning the car for next week in a couple of days.

Loving the updates though, DLSS made a huge difference for me and the improved physics and FFB made it harder to drive but it feels even more realistic and controllable than before. Amazing what they´ve done with the feel of the game. Other games like iRacing (tried it for a couple of hours, didn´t connect with the ffb and feel of the game), AMS2 or Race Room doesn´t quite do it for me. Also F1 2021 feels even more uncommunicative now in comparison than before so they just hit it out of the park. Exited for what AC2 will be like! Love GT racing but would love to have the same feel and realism on other cars as well.

DEE863E3-B4EB-49DE-8F4B-79F7BE863237.png

I've not used a Vive, but I imagine your first ballache will be getting it set up with the tracker station things. In ACC it's pretty straightforward, choose SteamVR when you load the game, then just have to get used to prodding a keyboard you can barely see/perching the headset on your forehead. And find a set of graphics options that let you keep a good frame-rate. Have fun!

Oh! The one major tip is to bind 'reset HMD view' to a button on your steering wheel. That way you'll be able to reset your view to the correct place when it gets a bit out of whack. I often find I need this once on the main menu and then just occasionally through play.

Ah yeah might need to move the rig slightly if I have to set up the trackers on either side of it, didn't think of them. I'm guessing they are required so the game can follow your head movements.

The reset view now you say it does seem essential, I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for the tips.

1 hour ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Just found out I'm getting to borrow a friends HTC Vive for a week, picking it up this evening. For the guys using VR do you have any tips, is there a lot of setup required to get it working in ACC?

Don't forget to wave at the other drivers as we sit on the grid! (I really feels like that's possible)

Oh - and when tinkering with the graphics settings, the most important one is resolution - 100% is native, less than that obviously blurs things a bit but it has the most effect on performance. 

I can share my settings, but the new 1.8 update has made them redundant as I'm finding I can turn things up a bit now. (Apart the the brightness, apparently.. <mutter> )

If I decide to race with it this week there will be a lot of waving other people and hand gestures as I spin off. 

10 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Oh - and when tinkering with the graphics settings, the most important one is resolution - 100% is native, less than that obviously blurs things a bit but it has the most effect on performance. 

Is this separate from FSR/DLSS? I will play around and try find a good balance of fps against image quality .

Hopefully I won't get affected by the dark screen like you did.

6 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

If I decide to race with it this week there will be a lot of waving other people and hand gestures as I spin off. 

Is this separate from FSR/DLSS? I will play around and try find a good balance of fps against image quality .

Hopefully I won't get affected by the dark screen like you did.

Yes, it's separate from all the new options. Depending on how much poke your PC has, some tracks will be more demanding to render than others. Kyalami for example needs me to knock the resolution down a few percent.

1 hour ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Just found out I'm getting to borrow a friends HTC Vive for a week, picking it up this evening. For the guys using VR do you have any tips, is there a lot of setup required to get it working in ACC?

What card do you have mate?  If it's a 20 series or better, DLSS seemed incredible last night.  So much extra performance so hopefully you won't have to dial things down too much to get VR running well.

Generally though, you want to lower the resolution scale (mine is currently set to 50 but I'll probably be able to push that up now) and up the VR pixel density (I think I use 120) as that'll have the biggest influence on framerate.

If you've got a really capable card (I have a 2070 Super), @davejmmight be your man for more specific settings.

14 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Depending on how much poke your PC has, some tracks will be more demanding to render than others.

5 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

What card do you have mate?

I have an AMD RX580 so only FSR for me which gave me a big boost in performance. It's a couple years old now but still going strong, I did originally get with the HTC vive in mind.

9 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Generally though, you want to lower the resolution scale (mine is currently set to 50 but I'll probably be able to push that up now) and up the VR pixel density (I think I use 120) as that'll have the biggest influence on framerate.

Is resolution scale the same as the resolution sneaky mentioned a message earlier, seems like I will have to spend a bit of time tinkering first.

Yikes, these new physics are unforgiving.  Fun, but brutal.  I feel like I'm learning the game all over again.

The force feedback and bumpiness of the KTM is harsh around Monza, so I've dialed it back a bit.  But I can barely keep the car on the road or hit any apexes.  The new tyre and braking model means it's more difficult to get braking right; so I'm either locking up or running the high ABS which means my braking distances are longer.  It's so hard.  And I'm oversteering into the walls a lot on turn in as the back end just goes away from me.  Bloody hell!!

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Blimey, what a dull and rainy day here.  Should mean plenty of time for some practice :)

@Meers has set a time...

vncviewer_mZwkiC4fH1.png.251fcd787423d6e635a3a8deccfd0ff3.png

Same weather here, but I've got other commitments today so no practice for me alas. 😕

I've set a banker lap late last night, it's not very fast. But the car handles nicely with the aggressive setup. 

There's a new ACC update out. It looks like it fixed the trojan issue I got during the race on Thursday. 

Still haven't had the opportunity to write about my woes last race: At the end of quali I quickly went to the karzee, but when I got back we were on the grid already so in my hurry I forgot to add fuel and hit drive. Went into the pits during the formation sequence but there was no crew there. Decided to jump back to pits but had to wait for about 3 minutes before the controls were unlocked. By then I was 2 laps behind but carried on. A couple of laps later, Windows Defender crashed my game and presented me with a trojan warning message.

Rebooted a couple of times as the message kept popping up, along with loads of other programs booting themselves up. I still have no idea why all that happened. Scanned the computer but no virus or trojan warnings whatsoever. Another reboot and all seemed fine again but when I rejoined you guys were already in the 2nd race. I mumbled couple of Dutch profanities and quit out.

Still at a loss what happened with my computer. 

1 minute ago, Meers said:

I've set a banker lap late last night, it's not very fast. But the car handles nicely with the aggressive setup. 

Not for me :(  I can't drive the thing.  I managed one clean lap (a 2:00.125) but otherwise I was spinning and sliding around all over the place.

I need to slow down and sort my technique out I think.

Something I noticed at Nurbs and now at Monza (since the update) is that very low ABS values aren't working for me and I'm locking up far more.  And sure enough, was just watching Aris' stream from last night and there's a whole section about it there.  You need to either use higher ABS values or modulate your braking even in a straight line.  So another technique to master!

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Yikes, these new physics are unforgiving.  Fun, but brutal.  I feel like I'm learning the game all over again.

The force feedback and bumpiness of the KTM is harsh around Monza, so I've dialed it back a bit.  But I can barely keep the car on the road or hit any apexes.  The new tyre and braking model means it's more difficult to get braking right; so I'm either locking up or running the high ABS which means my braking distances are longer.  It's so hard.  And I'm oversteering into the walls a lot on turn in as the back end just goes away from me.  Bloody hell!!

Maybe you're just braking too late though?  I'd try turning the ABS back down and bringing your braking distances back 20-30 metres to see if that helps.  As Eric once said, you shouldn't ever try to fix issues in practice with electronics, they're more for balancing things as the tyres wear etc during a race.  Braking too late and locking the rears was exactly what caused my race 1 accident on Thursday.

I really want to practice, but I've got a gig tonight and I don't want to give myself VR hair before I head over to Manchester 🤣

VR hair, now that's a new term! 😆

Yeah I'm doing a bit of practice now (until the kids wake up, that is) as we're staying home because of the bad weather here.

Braking is completely different now indeed. Slightly longer distances for braking points and you have to do a lot more 'massaging' (pumping) on the brakes. The trail braking's better though!

29 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Maybe you're just braking too late though?  I'd try turning the ABS back down and bringing your braking distances back 20-30 metres to see if that helps.  As Eric once said, you shouldn't ever try to fix issues in practice with electronics, they're more for balancing things as the tyres wear etc during a race.  Braking too late and locking the rears was exactly what caused my race 1 accident on Thursday.

I really want to practice, but I've got a gig tonight and I don't want to give myself VR hair before I head over to Manchester 🤣

What I'm saying is, since the update you can't rely on the lower ABS values in the same way that you could before.  You can't just stamp your foot down at the same braking markers and expect the same behaviour.  My logic for then trying the higher values was to see if (since the update) it called for increasing the values slightly to have the same effect.  I'd already seen that Aris' stated that higher TC values are likely to be needed now; due to how the TC is simulated.

So yeah, knowing the bumping up the ABS doesn't really work it then becomes a matter of braking earlier and being more careful.  And also modulating.  So I've got no intention of sticking to the higher values because doing so would mean longer braking distances anyway; whilst being on rails (due to the ABS totally taking over) with no scope for getting better at braking yourself.

mmm... I think it's more to do with the tyres and how much grip they have (or haven't) when outside of their optimal window.   I think the differences in braking are likely a lot more pronounced when the tyres are cold.

Just had a really good practice session and was able to put the ABS back down to 1 and still stick to my normal braking markers.  I started braking earlier, but gradually started to hit my markers once the pressures and temps were good.  I've used the KTM a fair bit (I used it when we did GT4 racing before; prior to switching to the Macca then Porsche) so it was just a bit of a shock when I started and had that session earlier.  Finding my feet again now.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT U.S Cup starting Thursday!