Jump to content
IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!


davejm
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great thing about the Chevy is that it doesnt seem to suffer from not being able to keep front tyres in optimum temperature range for most of the lap. Unlike Alpine, Ginetta, KTM and many others. That must be because its heavy. Tyre wear on the other hand might be pretty bad in the long runs...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

whew I'm having a tough time figuring out the Camaro. I'm sure I used to get on really well with it, but maybe I've spent so long in mid-engined cars I forgot how? I find it incredibly understeery and haven't really worked out a way to fix that so far. Think I'm going to have to study some videos. I'm not just having to lift off for Raidillon I'm dropping a gear even. Bleh, it's such a long lap it's soul-destroying when you cock up a track limit and burn the whole thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, milko said:

whew I'm having a tough time figuring out the Camaro. I'm sure I used to get on really well with it, but maybe I've spent so long in mid-engined cars I forgot how? I find it incredibly understeery and haven't really worked out a way to fix that so far. Think I'm going to have to study some videos. I'm not just having to lift off for Raidillon I'm dropping a gear even. Bleh, it's such a long lap it's soul-destroying when you cock up a track limit and burn the whole thing.

 

Arent pretty much all GT4s understeery in 3rd and higher gears? Spa's many fast sweeping corners dont help. I wanted to record a lap or two yesterday and I'm SURE I pressed the right button, but it didnt save the replay. 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who installed the steering rack in this Camaro?!  Jeez, I have to wind it through way more angle to get round corners than any other car Ive driven.   And its not understeer AFAIK, it just requires a whole armful of lock angle to turn the damn wheel.

 

Great sound though :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There totally is understeer, but also that yes. I have had a play with that steering adjustment in the setup to help what you're on about a bit (at least in low speed corners it has helped) but maybe I should go extreme with it.  Having just spent a season trying to be subtle with my inputs I feel like I'm having to throw all that out of the window this time.

 

Anyway, I'm glad we have a spare week to get to grips with this because I'm finding it very hard. Down to 2.33.030, so at least making some progress but 90% of my laps are invalid so I'm gonna spend most of the race driving through the pitlane at this rate, and drive-thru penalties in Spa are not going to be fun :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t had time to practice this week so by all the comments here I need to put in some serious work during the weekend to get to grips with the car and improve my pace so I can compete with you guys. 
 

The couple of laps I did showed indeed the massive understeer and lack of grip in the car. It also felt unstable on corner exits but that can be because I hadn’t dialled in the tyre pressures. Think that gt4 hot tyre pressure should hover around 27.0 psi? Think I’ve seen 26,5-27,5 somewhere.

 

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a few stints in between the F1 sessions this weekend…unless I hit the beer shelves in the shops after work today 😅 Time will tell!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One contributing factor must be that the Chevy has very low caster angle, like the Ferrari. Wheel centering force is light and becomes zero if the wheel gets turned enough, so compared to higher caster angle and feedback cars it can be more difficult to feel what the front is doing.

 

I like it. Yeah its heavy and cumbersome and understeery, but I like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Erik said:

One contributing factor must be that the Chevy has very low caster angle, like the Ferrari. Wheel centering force is light and becomes zero if the wheel gets turned enough, so compared to higher caster angle and feedback cars it can be more difficult to feel what the front is doing.

 

I like it. Yeah its heavy and cumbersome and understeery, but I like it.

It has charm. And personality. And it sounds awesome. No doubt it’ll be fun to drive when mastered. 
 

Also think it’s a fun idea to use these cars in a track like Spa😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, milko said:

Down to 2.33.030, so at least making some progress

 

Thats already a very good time if its with fuel. The track is so long that where a gap would be normally be 5 tenths, its close to a full second here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jumped on last night, between the pacific highway on AC and the beginning of FH5.

 

Like the car, the noise when you go down the gears !!!!!!!!! Lap time best ignored.

 

Will be going to Madrid next Thursday evening , and BA wont let me take the rig on the plane and their wi-fi is shit so I will be out I'm afraid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Erik said:

 

Thats already a very good time if its with fuel. The track is so long that where a gap would be normally be 5 tenths, its close to a full second here.

 

It is with about 50-60L yeah. Although the Camaro must weigh so much fuel can't be as high a percentage as it would be in many other cars. It's time for me to start working hardest on getting consistently valid laps though, there's so many places where I'm playing with narrow margins and usually end up the wrong side of one of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, milko said:

 

It is with about 50-60L yeah. Although the Camaro must weigh so much fuel can't be as high a percentage as it would be in many other cars. It's time for me to start working hardest on getting consistently valid laps though, there's so many places where I'm playing with narrow margins and usually end up the wrong side of one of them. 

 

Its homologation weight is apparently 1420 kg, so yeah maybe fuel level has slightly smaller than usual effect. It needs 45 or 46 liters to be safe in a 30 minute race that does not have full formation lap.

 

I played a bit with setup but I only managed to make it slower on a straight line, so I feel the preset is pretty good. Damping is again very weird so I'll just ignore it 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

Any tips on how to actually get the front of the Camaro to grip? Keep understeering outside track limits in most corners, especially eau rouge and blanchimont 😬

 

Lift a bit and turn in very early. You can try shifting down too. Blanchimont is annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Setting steer ratio down a LOT makes it feel much more normal on the handling. Still a big heavy beast and GT4 aero, it's not magic. But I have mine down at 11 now and I don't feel like I'm going to pull the steering wheel out of the housing to get around Bus Stop. Also straightening back up out of La Source feels a bit easier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Got on the server for an hour of practice today, I hate trying to keep it within track limits Blanchimont in the camaro, no amount of lifting or trying different turn in points seem to solve it. Let's see how many track limit warnings I can rack up on Thursday evening. 

 

You're not alone. This car has its wheels turn angle limited at 15° max or something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning all!  It's race week and the start of a new season :)

 

All rounds of this season are 2x 25 minute sprints with a 10 minute qualifying session forming the grid for both races.  I shortened down slightly from the 30 minute races so that we can finish a little earlier; so if anyone fancies we could take in a public lobby race like we used to.

 

Who else is in?

@milko @Count Buffalos @SharkyOB@Erik @SANtoOos @Yannik @texlex45 @winky

@willmill @SweatyTravolta @batistutauk @Mr Majestyk

 

https://beta.simracing.gp/communities/yhRbHTPRAZwJqbJakJneM#events

 

If you're joining for this season please sign up for the races ahead of time; then just un-register from any individual races that you can't make.

 

vncviewer_XuJalu1ujU.png.11300c33c31e9b49a94b8899e26f8b59.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.