IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!

davejm

32 minutes ago, davejm said:

Who else is in?

of-course-turkish.gif

Spent last night tuning my Camaro whilst watching the F1. I've got the understeer tuned out somewhat so I can get it around the corners now, but I've only set a banker lap time due to time limitations. Got a busy week ahead so I doubt I have much time to practice. 😓

14 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I'm defo in but I'm busy every night this week, so as usual I'm gonna struggle to practice ahead of Thursday.  I'm not really expecting any change in my form for this season!!

Your talent will count for something ;)  You've always been good in the GT4s.

I'm surprised I managed to stay near the top of the timesheets, as I've only done a couple of sessions (15-ish laps in total).  No doubt I'll go on the server this week and struggle to get anything close to that time - which seems to be a pattern for me.  And I'll likely choke on the first lap anyway (as usual)! :D

3 hours ago, davejm said:

Morning all!  It's race week and the start of a new season :)

All rounds of this season are 2x 25 minute sprints with a 10 minute qualifying session forming the grid for both races.  I shortened down slightly from the 30 minute races so that we can finish a little earlier; so if anyone fancies we could take in a public lobby race like we used to.

Who else is in?

@milko @Count Buffalos @SharkyOB@Erik @SANtoOos @Yannik @texlex45 @winky

@willmill @SweatyTravolta @batistutauk @Mr Majestyk

https://beta.simracing.gp/communities/yhRbHTPRAZwJqbJakJneM#events

If you're joining for this season please sign up for the races ahead of time; then just un-register from any individual races that you can't make.

vncviewer_XuJalu1ujU.png.11300c33c31e9b49a94b8899e26f8b59.png

All in here, ready to show you what REAL lack of talent looks like 😀

How do you guys usually do this, do you hang out in the audio channel in Discord while racing or do you usually meet up there before and/or after the races? :)

1 minute ago, Kristian Svenning said:

How do you guys usually do this, do you hang out in the audio channel in Discord while racing or do you usually meet up there before and/or after the races? :)

We join the Discord voice channel and chat on there.  Usually quite chatty at times during practice; but quiet during practice and the race (until @Meers starts cursing about something ;) ).  Make sure to enable 'push to talk' on the Discord settings rather than having the channel open; especially if you have clacky gears :D

1 hour ago, Kristian Svenning said:

How do you guys usually do this, do you hang out in the audio channel in Discord while racing or do you usually meet up there before and/or after the races?

what the guys said - inside qualification and the race itself the discord is mainly used to apologise for getting in someone's way or "no sir after YOU"ing after a coming-together.

9 minutes ago, milko said:

what the guys said - inside qualification and the race itself the discord is mainly used to apologise for getting in someone's way or "no sir after YOU"ing after a coming-together.

You forgot the...

"I insist"

"No, I insist"

"NO, I INSIST"

...bickering.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

We join the Discord voice channel and chat on there.  Usually quite chatty at times during practice; but quiet during practice and the race (until @Meers starts cursing about something ;) ).  Make sure to enable 'push to talk' on the Discord settings rather than having the channel open; especially if you have clacky gears :D

Think my gear shifters are pretty silent but it’s a good shout, I’ll try to remember to do that 😀

Cursing from people that struggle is half the fun 😂

3 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

Cursing from people that struggle is half the fun 😂

Oh I don't struggle. I just curse all the time* because Dutch.

*except when I'm around (my) children, the elderly and at bar mitzvahs.

If I could ever figure out Pouhon and Stavelot, I might feel like I was getting the hang of this track, at long last. I did a little 95% AI race to see how it felt and while they take Raidillon like little babies and I can outbrake them into La Source and Bus Stop with an alarming ease (as in, I end up easing into the back of them while locking the brakes, hoho), they are still somehow faster than me around the two aforementioned awkward bastard turns. And it's been the same in the GT3 as well so this isn't some unique Camaro struggle I've been having, I just can't work 'em out. Anyway, some progress has been made, I am reasonably content.

Continuing with my calm approach to practice..

giphy.gif

..I watched the replay of my fastest lap and I can see where I'm leaving time behind - on EVERY SINGLE CORNER! Top tip; it's far easier to see the mistakes from the external camera. :) 

But that's fine. I'm the usual 1.5 - 2.0s behind Erik with room to improve, and at least I can see where I'm messing up. It's far more frustrating when you can't see it.

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

Continuing with my calm approach to practice..

..I watched the replay of my fastest lap and I can see where I'm leaving time behind - on EVERY SINGLE CORNER! Top tip; it's far easier to see the mistakes from the external camera. :) 

But that's fine. I'm the usual 1.5 - 2.0s behind Erik with room to improve, and at least I can see where I'm messing up. It's far more frustrating when you can't see it.

I have enjoyed our exchanging of the third place spot this past week :)

Intriguing about the replay, I'll have to have a look at mine. I wonder how easy it is to then do it better while back in the drivers seat, if I can spot it too.

33 minutes ago, milko said:

I have enjoyed our exchanging of the third place spot this past week :)

Intriguing about the replay, I'll have to have a look at mine. I wonder how easy it is to then do it better while back in the drivers seat, if I can spot it too.

Watching the replay in external camera is a good shout, tend to not think about that possibility. Actually I tend not to bother watching my replays much because I often is too tired after a practice session and also because I remember all the mistakes I’ve done that I’m able to identify as a mistake.

Still struggling to identify where I actually lose time besides the obvious mistakes and incorrect lines.Aubrey that’s something that comes with practice. 

Was pretty optimistic after Saturdays practice sessions, and went on the server on Sunday and found myself on a very cold track in the evening. Good thing about this was that I was able to make an alternative setup for cold track but holy crap I was sliding around haha. 

I think I’ll be very happy if I manage to fight in the midfield to lower midfield, but main goal is to not be a danger on track and kill anyone. Focused on enjoying the company and race and not be overly focused on self scrutiny and negativity if I don’t perform. Still very much in a learning phase. 

Not sure if I’m able to practice today, expecting a later day at work than usual and I was planning some studio time before tonight’s football game (my other hobby is music and music production) so probably not on track today. 

Just now, Kristian Svenning said:

Was pretty optimistic after Saturdays practice sessions, and went on the server on Sunday and found myself on a very cold track in the evening. Good thing about this was that I was able to make an alternative setup for cold track but holy crap I was sliding around haha. 

I think I’ll be very happy if I manage to fight in the midfield to lower midfield, but main goal is to not be a danger on track and kill anyone. Focused on enjoying the company and race and not be overly focused on self scrutiny and negativity if I don’t perform. Still very much in a learning phase. 

You might be more competetive than you expect, I think it's fairly rare that we match our practice hotlaps with the pressure of qualification and then race trim and traffic. Lots of variables.

I've noticed the practice server is either 11c and evening or 16c and daylight, is that the two race times we're getting @davejm ?

17 minutes ago, milko said:

I've noticed the practice server is either 11c and evening or 16c and daylight, is that the two race times we're getting @davejm ?

The practice server is set up for a 6°c average ambient temp (for the weekend) with a 14:00 session start; which results in a 16°c ambient temp at that time of day.  If you enter the server and the time of day is different, that's just a long standing bug with the server code that resolves itself if you log off and back in again.  Last time I logged in it was the middle of the night and 5°c.

The time of the sessions are:-

image.png.0083422c0888fc90dfd24ee3309bfe5f.png

So for qualification and the second race the tyre pressures you've practiced with should be mostly OK (although there is some weather variation so it won't be exact); but the 5:00 morning start is going to be quite cold.  We'll have to see how cold when we form the grid; as it's not possible to set an average ambient temp of 6°c in single player mode (10°c is the minimum).

The first race will be very interesting! :D

12 minutes ago, davejm said:

The practice server is set up for a 6°c average ambient temp (for the weekend) with a 14:00 session start; which results in a 16°c ambient temp at that time of day.  If you enter the server and the time of day is different, that's just a long standing bug with the server code that resolves itself if you log off and back in again.  Last time I logged in it was the middle of the night and 5°c.

The time of the sessions are:-

image.png.0083422c0888fc90dfd24ee3309bfe5f.png

So for qualification and the second race the tyre pressures you've practiced with should be mostly OK (although there is some weather variation so it won't be exact); but the 5:00 morning start is going to be quite cold.  We'll have to see how cold when we form the grid; as it's not possible to set an average ambient temp of 6°c in single player mode (10°c is the minimum).

The first race will be very interesting! :D

Very interesting  info! Sounds like I might be able to it’s my cold track setup for the morning start as that one was set when the track was around 8 degrees. 

If the temps change compared to what they were when I set the pressures…how does track temps and tyre pressure correlate?

looking forward to this, some new challenges and changing conditions make things interesting:)

ooh, 5am early birds. I didn't think I was getting the bug this time because it was consistently just an evening slot whereas in the past I've been dumped in the middle of the night and it was more obvious. So far my four practices have been an even split between afternoon and early evening so I thought it was being clever! God, race 1 will be an entertaining start if that temp has dropped a long way. Will see if I can get on the server for more practice later on, if I do I will sign in discord as well.

2 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

Very interesting  info! Sounds like I might be able to it’s my cold track setup for the morning start as that one was set when the track was around 8 degrees. 

If the temps change compared to what they were when I set the pressures…how does track temps and tyre pressure correlate?

looking forward to this, some new challenges and changing conditions make things interesting:)

I usually reduce one click for each degree increase in ambient temp; although that does go out of the window slightly if the track temp is very cold or warm.  I think Erik had a better calculation; but the one click per ambient degree change works for the most part I think.

1 minute ago, milko said:

ooh, 5am early birds. I didn't think I was getting the bug this time because it was consistently just an evening slot whereas in the past I've been dumped in the middle of the night and it was more obvious. So far my four practices have been an even split between afternoon and early evening so I thought it was being clever! God, race 1 will be an entertaining start if that temp has dropped a long way. Will see if I can get on the server for more practice later on, if I do I will sign in discord as well.

The session runs for 4 hours; so it could have been that someone was on just before you; as I don't think the server session dies instantly.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!