IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!

davejm

@davejm, Just before you left last night, you mentioned that your Porker's setup was very prone to sliding? I didn't experierience it at all (maybe because I try to be really smooth with it) with the standard aggressive setup. So far I've only adjusted the tyre pressures and camber (less is better here), shaved almost a second off with that tweak.

I find the Porker a joy to drive compared to the Camaro.

Yeah, I was sliding around all over the place; but I notice that when I'm tired my inputs are very erratic so I'm putting it down to that.  Will give it another go tonight.

I love Nurburgring and the Porsche GT4; so not sure why I felt so uncomfortable.  So perhaps just 'bad day at the office' type stuff.

@Meers I did 20 odd laps yesterday with the Porker (I’m gonna steal that name from you because I found it hilarious, haven’t heard it before haha), and I noticed the same as you. The car on more or less standard aggro setup felt very stable and manageable, especially compared to the Camaro. It doesn’t appreciate too aggressive throttle input mid to late corner but if I was smooth the car handled really well. 

…or maybe it’s just that the Camaro was such a handful that this seemed like heaven now. 

Will have to do some work to knock my times down though, not particularly fast but I think I’ll jump on the server this afternoon to acclimatise myself to the server conditions. Practised too much offline for Spa so server conditions threw me off a bit.  Now that I know I have a decent base setup and know I’m safe for others around the corners It’s server time. 

my (SUPREME, TABLE-TOPPING) time was set on default aggressive too, didn't really feel like I'd got it fully sorted but the Camaro contrast was indeed a big one. I have never felt like I do the second/third/fourth corners right on this track.

36 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah, I was sliding around all over the place; but I notice that when I'm tired my inputs are very erratic so I'm putting it down to that.  Will give it another go tonight.

I love Nurburgring and the Porsche GT4; so not sure why I felt so uncomfortable.  So perhaps just 'bad day at the office' type stuff.

Yeah when I get tired, I can't seem to string a lap together anymore. 2 cups of coffee on race nights really help me though. 😅

6 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

@Meers I did 20 odd laps yesterday with the Porker (I’m gonna steal that name from you because I found it hilarious, haven’t heard it before haha), and I noticed the same as you. The car on more or less standard aggro setup felt very stable and manageable, especially compared to the Camaro. It doesn’t appreciate too aggressive throttle input mid to late corner but if I was smooth the car handled really well. 

…or maybe it’s just that the Camaro was such a handful that this seemed like heaven now. 

😄

Sure, nick it! But it's not a name I gave then -  it's these mad Britons who seem to nickname car brands whenever they feel like it. 'Beemer' being the weirdest. 

The Porker is definitely more playful than the Chevvy, and it really likes kerbs and sausages.

I also played a bit with the FFB settings of the game. I tried Fanatec's recommended FFB settings instead of my own and discovered that they're fairly the same except for one thing - they have turned the FFB gain (in-game) down to 70% (I used 100%). But at 70% it doesn't feel detailed at all so I raised it to 80% and bang - totally new experience. Much more detail and I can feel the peak slip better. 100% (even on a CSL) apparently causes FFB clipping (where the tension supresses the detail). There's a sweet spot apparently, and it's much better this way. I found out about it through the FanaLab app, which allows for a per-game and per-car FFB setup. Highly recommended.

Also, now that @davejm mentioned it this morning, I had been fiddling with the resolutions as well. Going back to 1080p, I discovered that the frametime latency sits around 28ms but with higher fps (~80), whilst in 1440p the latency is approximately 18ms (60fps) and I don't know why it's lower at a higher resolution. My TV is a 4K one that maxes out at 60Hz, so 60fps is the highest I can get on it, but I definitely notice when the latency goes over 30ms.

I hope it won't matter anymore soon, when FSR is available in ACC. Hopefully it lowers the latency as well as giving more fps.

Sorry to hear your news @Meers

I cant race this week either - I'm taking my son on a trip to Bovington Tank Museum (he has some inset days from school, and I've got holiday allowance that if I dont take it soon, I'll just loose it).  I'm sure we'll have fun - but all things considered I'd rather be spanking my porker! 😆 

Hating this car and track combo :(  Even with the default aggressive setup I'm sliding around all over the place, so there's clearly something about my driving style that's different to you guys.  I have all the audio levels down apart from the tyres so that I can hear the slip; and I'm losing grip all over the place.  Not sure what to do, but I don't really have the patience to sort it and I don't think I'll be around over the next couple of evenings.  So I think I'm gonna struggle this week.  Still put in a decent enough time, but I don't feel like I have any control over the car and from one lap to another I can find myself 2 seconds down 🤔

Sorry to hear that @Meers my condolences.

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

Hating this car and track combo :(  Even with the default aggressive setup I'm sliding around all over the place,

I really dislike the first sector I can never nail it no matter the car I'm driving, lots of sliding but not so bad as a lap goes on. I only dialed in the pressures today didn't set anything spectacular time wise, lots to find.

These GT4 cars are much more of a handful to drive compared to the more planted GT3 cars. You're much more dependent on mechanical grip than aerodynamical downforce. You need to carry as much speed as possible through the corners so they need a smooth touch. These cars are alive and frankly, I love it.

vncviewer_l4XjLH7Lxj.png.d69e49e1f007eaee7ffbbbbcc24e3ff6.png

I know it's a bit annoying to moan about performance only to top the timesheets, but it's a feel thing.  Pretty sure I've only hooked up 2 laps in the 2:06s and mostly in the high 2:07s or 2:08s.   If I can get in another session before the race I'll see if I can push less and just get some cleaner and nicer feeling laps.

11 hours ago, davejm said:

Hating this car and track combo :(  Even with the default aggressive setup I'm sliding around all over the place, so there's clearly something about my driving style that's different to you guys.  I have all the audio levels down apart from the tyres so that I can hear the slip; and I'm losing grip all over the place.  Not sure what to do, but I don't really have the patience to sort it and I don't think I'll be around over the next couple of evenings.  So I think I'm gonna struggle this week.  Still put in a decent enough time, but I don't feel like I have any control over the car and from one lap to another I can find myself 2 seconds down 🤔

I experience the same on cold tyres but after a bit of tweaking on tyre pressures I felt grip coming when the tyre pressures arose to around 26.8-27 plus minus a tenth or two. Before that it was Tokyo drift all the way.

It also seemed like I got a bit more grip and control by decreasing front anti roll bar and increasing rear anti roll bar with a point or two and softening front and rear suspension slightly. At the end of my stint yesterday I accidentally set ABS to 5 instead of my usual 1 or 2 and it seemed to me that I actually had more control into the corners. Was pretty tired by then as I’d done 40 laps without a break but it felt better somehow. Think I had brake bias to 56 or something, increased it a bit conpared to the normal aggro setup. I’m probably not the right one to give advise but I felt pretty good with these settings. 

I’m not quick, the laps varied between the odd low 2.07 and mostly between 2.08-2.09 and above, but it felt like I was able to control the car more than I felt with the Camaro. Still tend to lose a lot of time in quite a few corners so still not super confident about the race. Looking forward to it regardless!

31 minutes ago, davejm said:

vncviewer_l4XjLH7Lxj.png.d69e49e1f007eaee7ffbbbbcc24e3ff6.png

I know it's a bit annoying to moan about performance only to top the timesheets, but it's a feel thing.  Pretty sure I've only hooked up 2 laps in the 2:06s and mostly in the high 2:07s or 2:08s.   If I can get in another session before the race I'll see if I can push less and just get some cleaner and nicer feeling laps.

There you go! 😄

What I like about this series is that I have to adapt to a different car every week. I love figuring out the characteristics of each car and being introduced to cars I would normally not drive if it wasn't for this season. 🙂

I've been dipping my toes in RaceRoom RE as well recently (it's shocking to discover how much better it runs and looks on my system than ACC) and loving the feel of driving in it. The feedback is really good, and so is the AI. The only thing I don't like about RRRE is the 'pay for content' model.

So, I wont have a lot of time to practice this week. But I will be on just in time for quali, post WHU qualifying for the knockout rounds of the Europa League. So coming at it somewhat hot this week. 

For those of you who recently joined, don't be concerned (and Welcome !) . You will be so far ahead by turn 3 that you won't even know I'm there.  

47 minutes ago, Meers said:

There you go! 😄

What I like about this series is that I have to adapt to a different car every week. I love figuring out the characteristics of each car and being introduced to cars I would normally not drive if it wasn't for this season. 🙂

I've been dipping my toes in RaceRoom RE as well recently (it's shocking to discover how much better it runs and looks on my system than ACC) and loving the feel of driving in it. The feedback is really good, and so is the AI. The only thing I don't like about RRRE is the 'pay for content' model.

I’ve been trying Race Room too, mainly for DTM and casual driving but I feel that the ffb is more “bouncy” than ACC…in lack of a better word. Don’t feel as connected to the track and car as I do in ACC even though I think I’ve adjusted the ffb settings pretty well. Reminds me of Automobilista2 which I also use for casual driving and fun (like driving a 2006 F1 car on Bathurst). 

But I might just give it a bit more time. Also I’ve only done offline stuff so never tried online races there.  Do you drive GT cars there as well or other cars? 

6 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

But I might just give it a bit more time. Also I’ve only done offline stuff so never tried online races there.  Do you drive GT cars there as well or other cars? 

I've done a few online races but it's not as busy as ACC it seems. Porsch cup mostly for me, and Sunday I tried the Lada (forgot which class).

Looking forward to the 1.8 streaming events tonight.  I think there's also some kind of conference tomorrow where the roadmap for future updates is being outlined, and rumours suggest an GT World Challenge America DLC coming in 2022.

They need some new tracks pretty sharpish.  Some ACC streamers are playing more of other games; and there's only so much the rest of us can play of the existing track and car combos.  The physics and way races play out in the game gives it a lot of legs IMO (one event of the same car & track combo can play differently to another); but there's only so far this goes.

I wonder how many of the guys that have left our league (over the last year or so) are just tired of the same formula.

As well as the headline changes in the 1.8 coming out this week…

All from Aris' stream last night

• Less grip difference b/w racing line and off-line (Can drive different lines to suit cars)
 • More weather, ambient temp variation for given average temp
 • More details on the new tyre model:
 • Tyres retain heat more (Core overheats more easily, takes longer to cool down, overheated core makes tyre lose 'precision', easier to catch slides, but 'lazier' overall, cold tyre balance swings more extreme, tyres lose less heat & pressure after clicking 'Drive')
 • Wet tyre changes make driving on wet tyres harder (They slide & aquaplan more when under lateral forces)
 • Easier to trail-brake (more details tomorrow)
 • More pronounced effects from various brake duct sizes (No automatic 2-front, 1-rear anymore)
 • Tyre scrub from too much steering lock to be felt via a vibration in the FFB
 • Improved camber simulation (More FFB felt over bumps and certain kerbs, esp. on higher negative camber settings)
 • Existing setups can still work if they are not 'extreme' (i.e. they don't exploit previously missing or different features)

What DIDN'T change (confirmed):
 • Slipstream unchanged
 • BOP (pre-2021) unchanged
 • Brake types unchanged (same usage conditions for 1-4)
 • Ideal PSIs unchanged

Aris said with the tyre changes you'll see slower lap times overall, maybe up to 0.5s slower. Also the tyres will vibrate if you overdrive them as they skip over the asphalt trying to find grip.
There are also some FFB changes as well.
Aris said he'll be doing a longer Keynote livestream tomorrow around release time, going over the change log in detail and explaining the physics changes.

Need to get on and practice tonight, presumably this new update is going to drop a couple of hours before our race though. 

The streaming event for 1.8 was a bit disappointing.  In previous events like they had free reign to discuss the coming update and all its features; but they weren't allowed this time.  So they showed off the new BMW and dropped a few nuggets of info (EDIT: listed above) but otherwise that's about it.    They hinted that there's lots that isn't yet announced, but then didn't talk about them.  I thought that was the point of the preview event, but it seems there's a keynote conference later today.

3 minutes ago, milko said:

Need to get on and practice tonight, presumably this new update is going to drop a couple of hours before our race though. 

The update is out today thankfully, so can practice with the new updates tonight :)

16 hours ago, davejm said:

They need some new tracks pretty sharpish.  Some ACC streamers are playing more of other games; and there's only so much the rest of us can play of the existing track and car combos.

I wonder how many of the guys that have left our league (over the last year or so) are just tired of the same formula.

The amount of tracks thing is what RaceRoom does really well (apart from having to buy them separately). But yeah, ACC needs more tracks regardless if they're featured in the championships or not.

9 minutes ago, davejm said:

vncviewer_fsNZkpNsj0.png.9b378b9d3564df4f5ed127c0f6fd206d.png

What the... 😲

I might be able to join the race tomorrow after all (I need to clear my mind a wee bit anyway). Might be able to practice tonight as well.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!