IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!

davejm

Had a quick go.   DLSS doesn't seem an awful lot better than TAAU in VR at first go; but it does do away the need for re-shade as the DLSS sharpening is better than the other 'advanced sharpening filter' option.  Need to have a play around with the settings a bit more; as it should be more of am improvement so I'll need to tweak.

Force feedback is different.  After 1 lap I'll go out on a limb and say that this is a massive improvement in feel.  So great initial impression there.

At the end of that video @davejm posted there's a *very* short video clip which shows a load of rapid changing images.  One of them is this (I paused it and did a screen grab)

image.thumb.png.722e5ea9e82f4e60f1b94f155b0f44cc.png

That is definitely the start finish straight up to turn 1 of the Circuit of the Americas.  So I'm fully confident that a US GT pack is heading our way early 2022 :omg:

Definitely feels different. I get a lot more information from the car now, and it seems I feel better when I lose grip and also feel the different surfaces better. Tyres seems to me behaves way differently too, I had to adjust my pressures again, especially in the back. 

Only done 10 laps so far but I’m definitely slower, struggling to get under 2.10 now.

Honestly, the car feels better and more responsive to drive but it also seem to react stronger to the surface. Especially if you ride the curb before a turn the rear gets way more unstable when you leave the curb and start turn in. Also getting the occasional snap in T1, possibly because the tyre react to some dent in the surface it didn’t register before. All this is described in the blog post. 

Also it slides easier with abrupt inputs on turn in or mid corner, as well as to much throttle too early. 

All this means I feel I have to be more careful, but in return I feel the car better and have been able to save slides and snaps I wouldn’t be able to earlier. 

As I have an rtx2060 card I activated DLSS and where I before ran at 73 fps I’m now well over 100. Run my graphic settings pretty high with mostly epic and high settings on a 34” ultrawide so the improvements are very noticeable in that department too. 

All in all a great update! Just happy we didn’t have this with the Camaro 😅

Signed out of the Boonatix race.  The changes seem quite extreme and struggled with the new BMW in a quick single player race.  So I'm going to spend some time tonight practicing for tomorrow. 

Plus, the visuals and settings are confusing me and I've lost the good performance and sharpness I had with Steam VR & Reshade prior to the update.  Oculus mode gives me the same performance headroom that I had, but can't use Reshade and the visuals look muddy.  DLSS and FSR look way worse than TAAU in VR, for me.  So things seem to have taken a backward step in that regard.  Hopefully it's just a combination of settings that needs to align somewhere.

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

Signed out of the Boonatix race.  The changes seem quite extreme and struggled with the new BMW in a quick single player race.  So I'm going to spend some time tonight practicing for tomorrow. 

Plus, the visuals and settings are confusing me and I've lost the good performance and sharpness I had with Steam VR & Reshade prior to the update.  Oculus mode gives me the same performance headroom that I had, but can't use Reshade and the visuals look muddy.  DLSS and FSR look way worse than TAAU in VR, for me.  So things seem to have taken a backward step in that regard.  Hopefully it's just a combination of settings that needs to align somewhere.

Ouch man, that sounds disappointing…hope you’re able to tweak the settings so it feels and looks better. 

1 minute ago, davejm said:

Yikes, these changes are brutal! :) Way off the pace in practice compared to before, and every corner feels like a challenge.  Blimey.

Yep. Found you really need to be smoother with both steering and throttle inputs now. But I felt better after quite a few laps. Car feels very much more alive now so I like it…even though it’s more difficult. Race tomorrow will be Interesting indeed! 😅

ooh, that is interesting. Some corners I feel like I am much faster in, can brake later, control better. I dunno how much of that is down to better FFB giving me more feel or just the new physics. Anyway, some corners I feel are much harder now so it's not all good news! 

The DLSS in Balanced seemed really good at first for me on my venerable Quest 1 headset. Sharper image, still smooth. I'd just whacked it on VR Epic preset so possibly that was helping. Performance mode looked about how it used to, so that was no good. Quality I couldn't really tell the difference over Balanced so went back to that. Now I'm already used to it and don't know if I'm sure it's any better than I had it before 😆

Think I got my best laptime back to more or less what it was before, but I wasn't exactly consistent with that, often a good 0.5s slower.

The game seems to take noticeably longer to put me in the cockpit after starting, and same again to get back to the main menu after quitting.

46 minutes ago, davejm said:

Morning guys! :)  I think it's gonna rain later :D  Should be fun...

vncviewer_iZ91uHX8Bd.png.3e8d3e59e06b5a893807d5955ee808ee.png

Yikes! One of my many weak areas 🙃 Any tips on how to adapt existing setup to wet? Have heard that the default wet setups are not very good and have never been satisfied with the tweaks I’ve tried the few times I’ve been racing in the wet. 

14 hours ago, davejm said:

FSR look way worse than TAAU in VR, for me.  So things seem to have taken a backward step in that regard. 

Well shit, I'm not the only one then.

With my GTX1050, the DLSS option is there (it doesn't detect which GPU you have, apparently) so I switched it on and tried some quality settings. Suffice it to say it was without any results - no Tensor cores to surf on despite me trying to convince ACC that I have them. 😅 😉

FSR then. Oh dear.

Tried balanced mode first. Horribly pixellated and dithered with a lot of ghosting of the overall image. It gave me 10 extra frames but the frametime latency increased as well, how peculiar (I thought CPU load would be less as well)?

Quality more made the fps drop hard, about 10fps less than I had but the image looks much better. No option either then. Performance more made the graphics even worse, but I gained 20fps with it. Latency was for all modes ~33ms so about 10 ms more than I had before.

So I can safely conclude that FSR is not suited very well for my GPU, which is a shame. Back to the old settings again which looks much better.

I don't know what to think anymore. Better hardware methinks.

51 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

Any tips on how to adapt existing setup to wet? Have heard that the default wet setups are not very good and have never been satisfied with the tweaks I’ve tried the few times I’ve been racing in the wet. 

@SharkyOB is probably our resident expert, but the default wet setups are fine I reckon (unless the new patch has messed them up somehow). Lots of TC, aim for 29.5-31.0 psi, cross your fingers if that doesn't interfere too much with your steering wheel grip :)

With all the changes AND rain it will be ...not a lottery exactly, skill pretty much always wins out, but I wouldn't want to bet on my final placing tonight.

3 minutes ago, milko said:

@SharkyOB is probably our resident expert, but the default wet setups are fine I reckon (unless the new patch has messed them up somehow). Lots of TC, aim for 29.5-31.0 psi, cross your fingers if that doesn't interfere too much with your steering wheel grip :)

With all the changes AND rain it will be ...not a lottery exactly, skill pretty much always wins out, but I wouldn't want to bet on my final placing tonight.

Thanks man, I'll give this a try when home from work today. Hopefully I'll be able to get a short practice in between dinner and race time. Think I'll just have to focus on having fun, try to avooid killing too many and just enjoy hanging out with my new (and old) bros playing games :D

28 minutes ago, milko said:

All of this is good advice!

I remember racing with you on the PowerQ league @Kristian Svenning, I was Matt O'Brien there and indeed IRL.

Can't wait for later, the updates sound amazing!  I've had no time to practice this week though, so I'll be on as early as possible to make up for it.

23 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

All of this is good advice!

I remember racing with you on the PowerQ league @Kristian Svenning, I was Matt O'Brien there and indeed IRL.

Can't wait for later, the updates sound amazing!  I've had no time to practice this week though, so I'll be on as early as possible to make up for it.

Aha! So you're Matt! Awesome, nice to cross paths again! 🙂

Any objections if I delay qualifying by 15 mins tonight?  I'm out and not sure if I'll be back for qualifying at the moment!  The new format is slightly shorter than normal anyway so hoping this is all good.   I can set practice to start at 7pm as normal, but qualifying would now start at 8:30pm.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 rollcall!