IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 Round 2 @ Zolder

davejm

This gives us the ability to accept registrations to the simracing.gp community from the general SGP player base or from other places (for example, if we want to have larger grid one-off races with people from the Power Q Discord).  We can keep the league events for forum members; by just creating those events as 'closed' and manually adding participants.  All I wanted to check was that people could change cars and cancel their registrations themselves which is great.

9 hours ago, Erik said:

@texlex45 custom skins you downloaded probably need to be on everyones folder to be visible to them. But the ones you create with the in-game editor always show to everyone.

ahhh thanks for the info @Erik and @davejm . In that case I will put in some more effort in the "DIY" livery section of the game 🧑‍🎨

1 hour ago, Meers said:

And welcome from me too, Jorge! I'm Richard of Bel-Air the Netherlands. Por favor não seja mais rápido do que eu também, como os outros caras.

hahaha i dont speak Portuguese, I speak Spanish 😂 I am from Zaragoza (Spain) :)

15 minutes ago, DjScream3 said:

hahaha i dont speak Portuguese, I speak Spanish 😂 I am from Zaragoza (Spain) :)

Oooh my sincerest apologies, I thought @daifuco and you were Portuguese! I don't even know why I thought that. I see the Spanish flag next to his name now on the simracing.gp site. Soy un idiota. :facepalm: :blush:

Loving it how international this league is becoming! :D

Embarassments aside (or not?), I've not put any ACC practice in so far due to me and Mrs Meers taking dancing lessons for our wedding's opening dance, so for the last couple of days we've been busy trying to hone our (lacking) Salsa skills. I should be on the track again tomorrow night, and of course for the race come Thursday.

10 hours ago, milko said:

eef, nice time and smooth driving @texlex45. I just stuck in a 1.42.5 and I had 0.5s left out there in the first half alone that I couldn't get a lap to stick with. But I can't get my braking as nice as you are doing there at all, I have to come in to most corners quite a bit more slowly or I miss the apex by a long way. Most likely just need to work on my trail braking, might play with bias just in case I can blame the car instead of myself. 

Can you upload a video with couple of laps? Sometimes cars are different and you just cant drive them exactly the same way. I see I drive all corners quite different to Tex. In my experience the Honda is quite difficult to drive fast and it hates kerbs. At least its traction control is amazing.

Here you go @Erik - a couple of my fastest laps where I know I left a lot of time in the first segment even by my own standard, and then a little bit extra just to prove I can sort of do better there but then mess it up in the chicane and burn the laptime :)

When people say that sort of thing about my Honda (but it makes such a good noise! and it's quite pretty for a GT3 car!) I feel like I could switch and gain loads of time but it's not usually my experience when I do try. I'll probably change next season just for variety anyway.

Scratch tomorrow night, I'm giving it a go tonight as our plans have changed. I'll try to record a few laps as well, FWIW.

31 minutes ago, milko said:

also, does anyone know why it calls me a PRO on the server (and indeed all of us I think)? I'm definitely in as AM on the car editor  :)

I found you to be more of a PRO guy too, mind. Never took you for an AM type.

It looks to me like there's something really odd going on with your car in that video @milko, it appears to be chattering across the track as the tyres constantly grip and then lose traction.  Could be due to ARBs being set too stiff or possibly the suspension itself?  What do you reckon @Erik?  It does seem to happen more at high speed (it's really obvious in the high speed kink of turn 12), so maybe an aero-stalling issue?

23 minutes ago, milko said:

Here you go @Erik - a couple of my fastest laps where I know I left a lot of time in the first segment even by my own standard, and then a little bit extra just to prove I can sort of do better there but then mess it up in the chicane and burn the laptime :)

When people say that sort of thing about my Honda (but it makes such a good noise! and it's quite pretty for a GT3 car!) I feel like I could switch and gain loads of time but it's not usually my experience when I do try. I'll probably change next season just for variety anyway.

No major mistakes there. You miss T1, T3 and T7 apexes and in some others you are bit late on throttle. Lots of exit understeer. Try to brake just a tiny bit earlier, 2-3 m is probably enough, and you can let the car run wider and steer less. Apex kerbs upset the car much more than exit kerbs here, just dont hit grass. You also have pretty high TC settings. It allows you to get on throttle early and a lot and keep the car stable, but you are probably better off lowering those settings a bit - Honda has very good TC. I dont see any oversteer on brakes so moving brake balance couple of clicks more rearwards could help you get the car turned. Theres 1:41 in that driving, you just need to polish it a little. :)

Honda is tricky but its definitely not slow except maybe on some bumpier tracks like Oulton. Around Monza my best sectors in the Honda make a 1:46.9, I just need to drive those on the same lap :D

4 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

It looks to me like there's something really odd going on with your car in that video @milko, it appears to be chattering across the track as the tyres constantly grip and then lose traction.  Could be due to ARBs being set too stiff or possibly the suspension itself?  What do you reckon @Erik?  It does seem to happen more at high speed, so maybe an aero-stalling issue?

In T6, the long right hander? I think its his rears sliding a little when turning, happens in a couple of phases there as weight shifts around. It stops when he puts power down, to understeer

No, sorry I ninja edited my post to specify it's most obvious in turn 12 (high speed left hand kink towards the end of the lap), but you must've quoted me before I saved my changes!

When @milko turns into that bend, the car starts bouncing pretty violently, which I don't think is down to bumps.  You can also see the car start to do it in other places too, like the entry to the fast chicane and the exit of turn 11.  I can't imagine that's doing the aero on the car any favours!

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

No, sorry I ninja edited my post to specify it's most obvious in turn 12 (high speed left hand kink towards the end of the lap), but you must've quoted me before I saved my changes!

When @milko turns into that bend, the car starts bouncing pretty violently, which I don't think is down to bumps.  You can also see the car start to do it in other places too, like the entry to the fast chicane and the exit of turn 11.  I can't imagine that's doing the aero on the car any favours!

It bottoms out. That place is super dangerous in the wet because a big pool of water will form in that left hand kink right where cars bottom out :D

2 minutes ago, Erik said:

It bottoms out. That place is super dangerous in the wet because a big pool of water will form in that left hand kink right where cars bottom out :D

Ah, is that due to high aero load pushing the car down on its suspension then?  Is it something that you should fix with setup or something you'd just live with?

6 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Ah, is that due to high aero load pushing the car down on its suspension then?  Is it something that you should fix with setup or something you'd just live with?

One can live with it but it can be fixed. Its similar to what happens in Eau Rouge: downhill becomes uphill at high speed which makes the already low to the ground front end fall the way to the pavement. Whether thats a problem depends on where exactly the bottoming out happens, how long, which part of the floor and does the car need downforce there. In Eau Rouge bottoming out while turning can induce snap understeer and missing Raidillon, or even snap oversteer and a spin.

55 minutes ago, milko said:

also, does anyone know why it calls me a PRO on the server (and indeed all of us I think)? I'm definitely in as AM on the car editor  :)

On the practice server entry list I have to specify the driver class; so I just set everyone to PRO.  Similarly, on simracing.gp for the event I have to specify car groups of AM, Silver or PRO so it just seemed simpler to lump everyone into the PRO category.  In theory you could have different categories for different car class (AMs in GT4s, PROs in GT3s etc or even have specific cars).  So it's flexible, we just don't use it in that way.

1 minute ago, Erik said:

In Eau Rouge bottoming out while turning can induce snap understeer and missing Raidillon, or even snap oversteer and a spin.

Both of these things plague my Nissan, it's a new adventure every time I go through there 😱

25 minutes ago, Erik said:

Honda is tricky but its definitely not slow except maybe on some bumpier tracks like Oulton

I will have to read the rest of the posts more slowly - thanks indeed for all the feedback, that’s amazing. But this! Did you know (well of course not how could you) that I got pole and fastest lap in our last Oulton Park race?! I’d have won it too if I hadn’t had an unfortunate moment coming out of the second chicane that cost two places 😆

4 minutes ago, milko said:

I will have to read the rest of the posts more slowly - thanks indeed for all the feedback, that’s amazing. But this! Did you know (well of course not how could you) that I got pole and fastest lap in our last Oulton Park race?! I’d have won it too if I hadn’t had an unfortunate moment coming out of the second chicane that cost two places 😆

😂

Did you know you should always rev the engine as close to the limiter as possible? Nils Naujoks has some videos where he tests the gearing and drives the Honda. Some of the aliens are also very fast in it. Its no definitely no Jaguar, Aston V12 or REX that are only competitive on a handful of tracks.

32 minutes ago, Erik said:

No major mistakes there. You miss T1, T3 and T7 apexes and in some others you are bit late on throttle. Lots of exit understeer. Try to brake just a tiny bit earlier, 2-3 m is probably enough, and you can let the car run wider and steer less. Apex kerbs upset the car much more than exit kerbs here, just dont hit grass. You also have pretty high TC settings. It allows you to get on throttle early and a lot and keep the car stable, but you are probably better off lowering those settings a bit - Honda has very good TC. I dont see any oversteer on brakes so moving brake balance couple of clicks more rearwards could help you get the car turned. Theres 1:41 in that driving, you just need to polish it a little. :)

Honda is tricky but its definitely not slow except maybe on some bumpier tracks like Oulton. Around Monza my best sectors in the Honda make a 1:46.9, I just need to drive those on the same lap :D

ok, thanks again, I can work on all of this. My best sectors time is indeed a 1:41! I know I’m not hitting all my apexes and I’m sure braking earlier will solve this - I keep trying to do it by trail braking better instead but I’m not skilled enough at it yet. I was finding with lower TC I’d quite often spin on corner exit, heavy right foot problems. 

22 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I do quite often find myself too far left on that kink and getting a wheel into the grass.

16 minutes ago, Erik said:

aha… 

7 minutes ago, Erik said:

One can live with it but it can be fixed. Its similar to what happens in Eau Rouge: downhill becomes uphill at high speed which makes the already low to the ground front end fall the way to the pavement. Whether thats a problem depends on where exactly the bottoming out happens, how long, which part of the floor and does the car need downforce there. In Eau Rouge bottoming out while turning can induce snap understeer and missing Raidillon, or even snap oversteer and a spin.

…but how best to fix? I did indeed have a lot of “fun” trying to find a path through that section of Spa too. 

1 minute ago, Erik said:

😂

Did you know you should always rev the engine as close to the limiter as possible? Nils Naujoks has some videos where he tests the gearing and drives the Honda. Some of the aliens are also very fast in it. Its no definitely no Jaguar, Aston V12 or REX that are only competitive on a handful of tracks.

i saw that Nils video with the motec traces of the gears, yeah. Helped explain to me why I don’t feel right with my revs in the same sort of range as a lot of lap guides done in other cars, for sure. Just got to combine high revs with not having the rears slide out on me, at which I am sometimes successful and sometimes very not. 

4 minutes ago, milko said:

ok, thanks again, I can work on all of this. My best sectors time is indeed a 1:41! I know I’m not hitting all my apexes and I’m sure braking earlier will solve this - I keep trying to do it by trail braking better instead but I’m not skilled enough at it yet. I was finding with lower TC I’d quite often spin on corner exit, heavy right foot problems. 

…but how best to fix? I did indeed have a lot of “fun” trying to find a path through that section of Spa too. 

Theres many ways to fix exit oversteer. What works best with least side effects depends on what the problem is exactly. From your video I can see the car is actually understeery on throttle, so maybe its just the immediate wheelspin or torque that you cant control yet. I would first play a little with the TC settings.

Bottoming out can be fixed by raising the car, stiffening wheel rate and moving bumpstops closer. Unfortunately all those have big effects elsewhere on the lap so its usually not an easy fix.

1 hour ago, milko said:

Just got to combine high revs with not having the rears slide out on me... 

At Kyalami I struggle with exit corner traction a lot following turn 10, Leeukop.   I get on the power after apex, and then as the corner progresses the rears spin up and I have to put in an armful of oppo, and in doing so time bleeds away.  I see some others example laps where they just seem to be able to mash the throttle and drive off that corner without any issue and I wonder if my Ferrari is broken :blink2:  I can delay the power input, or only give it maybe half throttle until I'm pointing straight down the hill again, but that feels horribly slow - and I'm too impatient !

me: giphy.gif

@Valver Leeukop is definitely one of the spots where it happens, I can do it quite readily on Crowthorne and Barbeque (lol) as well, and then sometimes on the final exit. For Leeukop specifically I do find that my line is a big part of it, if I've turned in too early or from too narrow an entrance it all seems to feed into that exit snap oversteer risk. But also probably being patient and feeding in the power a little more gradually than a full-on stamp.

Ugh. Only one hour of practice last night and it wasn't good. Got no time tonight either so I'm going in cold this week.

At least I got my setup sorted and the car handles nicely. Going to play the consistency game on this one.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 10 Round 2 @ Zolder