Jump to content
IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance


davejm
 Share

Recommended Posts

Enjoyed some fantastic wheel to wheel stuff in those races but overall quite disappointed with my own performance.

 

Yet again we all proved to be fantastic chaps when it comes to clean, considerate but hard racing. :) 

 

I'd be interested to see how varied our car set ups were - (maybe a spreadsheet eh @Meers ;) ) I had full rear wing, nose on the ground with -0.1 toe and front brake ducts almost closed to heat the fronts. Apart from the times when the car went 'surprise, bitch!' and behaved weirdly, I found it really controllable.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

I'd be interested to see how varied our car set ups were - (maybe a spreadsheet eh @Meers ;) ) I had full rear wing, nose on the ground with -0.1 toe and front brake ducts almost closed to heat the fronts. Apart from the times when the car went 'surprise, bitch!' and behaved weirdly, I found it really controllable.

 

Default aggressive base, with the rear wing increased 2 clicks to '8'.  Brake ducts both set to '2'.  That was all for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was some super fun racing.  

 

Qualifying was super close between all of us, but managed to scrape second.  Had a pretty bad start (as usual) and found myself 4th after overly cautious behaviour in the first few turns.  I've gone from being too erratic in the first couple of seasons, to being too cautious and I need to find the middle ground.

 

Felt great in race one and managed to stay on the tail of @winky for a few laps, without getting super close.  We both ended up binning it at a similar point of the circuit.  I felt my car getting twitchy and out of shape; then spotted winky going off too!  So we both dropped down a few places; and I found myself last.  Had some close battles with @milko in the second half of the race; and apologies Mike for those love-taps to the rear.  I tried to be cautious and conceded the line a few times; but there were a couple of hairy moments where I just got too close.

 

Second race was less eventful.  I surprised myself by staying relatively close to @texlex45 for long stretches; but made a couple of mistakes so Daniel sailed away in the end.  The car felt good in the first half of the race, but fell away a little bit in the second; and combined with some tiredness and sloppyness @SharkyOB managed to stay within striking range.  I had slightly better overall pace so it didn't get too close in the end, but luckily I didn't make any bad mistakes and came home second.

 

A really awesome night!!  Thanks guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, winky said:

One more rear wing for me, stiffer ARBs. Lower ride height, more toe out, softer fast bump, ducts, and brake balance

 

Interesting, I've never messed about with the bump stops as I've no idea what effect they have. Time to get reading!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Had some close battles with @milko in the second half of the race; and apologies Mike for those love-taps to the rear.  I tried to be cautious and conceded the line a few times; but there were a couple of hairy moments where I just got too close.

 

Haha it's OK. For some of them I really felt my braking point was a lot earlier than pretty much everybody else, it was surprising to see how much of a difference in pace we could all have in different sections of the track. I was also trying to do the defensive tactic of 'slow in fast out' but I'm not sure I've got the hang of it yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

 

Interesting, I've never messed about with the bump stops as I've no idea what effect they have. Time to get reading!

I was having a few problems if I wanted to mount kerbs so I knocked fast bump and fast rebound down just to try and keep the car happy.

 

Problem is I do all these changes and by race night my track knowledge is so much better that I wonder if I ever needed them 😛

 

but the arbs and downforce changes I needed for the porsche

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was some fun racing indeed! Enjoyed the one-off difficult experience with the car but definitely not a car you want to deal with every week 😅 

 

Race 1 was pretty smooth sailing until I entered the Schumacher-S a bit too quickly and spun it around, dropping me back to P3. Managed to regain back to P2 after @SharkyOB 's Porsche also decided to misbehave. Congrats again to @Valver for a great race win! Only one to show the consistency in that first race and deservedly taking advantage of it. 

 

Race 2 the car felt much more stable and planted and I learned my lesson from the first race to not race against the clock too hard. I was eventually able to build a solid gap to @davejm and got the win I threw away in the first race. And the transition from late afternoon to dark evening also made the scenery very enjoyable.

 

For set ups, I also took the baseline aggressive setup and: 

  1. Increased the negative camber on all four tyres 
  2. added some negative front toe 
  3. rear ride height at 109 and front ride height at 77 
  4. rear wing up to 9 
  5. stiffened the front ARB to 3 for some extra turn in 

 

Overall a great race session but glad to have some traction control back again soon 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/08/2021 at 14:01, davejm said:

Just working on the schedule for season 6 before I go away on holiday; and have come up with the following:-

 

image.thumb.png.06e779db0c58baa0e2f3472933c86dfe.png

 

General consensus (of the people that commented) seemed to indicate that sticking to the same car is favoured; so let's go with a change back to GT3s for all the races.  We can include some GT4 racing in mid-season events perhaps.

 

I've chosen the tracks for the first 3 events, so could I ask @winky, @Yannik, @EuroVapeSim2, @texlex45 and @Erik to nominate a track for the other events.  Could you reply with the following:-

  • Chosen track.  You can see from the schedule above whether the race will be a Endurance (60 mins) or Sprint (2x25 mins).
  • Time of the race session(s).  Just specify this loosely if you want; i.e sunrise, sunset, daytime, evening, midnight etc.  I can work out the exact timings.
  • Base Conditions.  Specify one of the following:
    • Dry and Clear
    • Cloudy/Overcast
    • Light Rain
    • Heavy Rain
  • Variability.  Specify one of the following:-
    • None
    • Low
    • Medium
    • High

Thanks guys!  Let's get this nailed down over the next few weeks and then look forward to the multi-class endurance at the end of August.  As with previous seasons, if anyone can't make a specific event then I'm open to shifting the schedule around; although now lock-down restrictions are eased I anticipate more people will have to miss some events anyway.

 

EDIT: I'm aware that you guys haven't even said you can take part in the league or on the date I'm tagged you against; so feel free to swap with one of the others; or if you don't want to choose I can get someone else to pick :)

Hey Dave, I've been giving this some thought and settled on Paul Ricard (bring on the pitchforks :D ). Overcast with low variability would be my choice for that one.
Thanks for including me in the calendar decisions, I'll be sure to race in the league with you guys :) Looking forward to it already!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Yannik said:

Hey Dave, I've been giving this some thought and settled on Paul Ricard (bring on the pitchforks :D ). Overcast with low variability would be my choice for that one.
Thanks for including me in the calendar decisions, I'll be sure to race in the league with you guys :) Looking forward to it already!

 

Awesome @Yannik, glad to have you aboard! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm all in for a change to the McLaren for next season.  I'm still a second off my fastest Ferrari times, so I'll see how I feel about it when I'm closer to the limit, but my average lap times seem a bit faster and the car feels more comfortable.  Just did a public lobby Spa race and from a field of 20 I qualified 3rd with a low 2:19 and finished 4th in the race.  But I felt totally in control the whole time, despite a hairy moment with a faster driver who came from the mid-pack and overtook me but subsequently binned it so I sailed back past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/08/2021 at 15:59, Yannik said:

Hey Dave, I've been giving this some thought and settled on Paul Ricard (bring on the pitchforks :D ). Overcast with low variability would be my choice for that one.
Thanks for including me in the calendar decisions, I'll be sure to race in the league with you guys :) Looking forward to it already!

*cough* https://www.racedepartment.com/news/opinion-the-circuit-paul-ricard-is-better-than-it-gets-credit-for.127/

 

@davejm can someone else pick for me, I'm not really sure (my favourite track usually being the last one we raced) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/08/2021 at 14:01, davejm said:

Just working on the schedule for season 6 before I go away on holiday; and have come up with the following:-

 

image.thumb.png.06e779db0c58baa0e2f3472933c86dfe.png

 

General consensus (of the people that commented) seemed to indicate that sticking to the same car is favoured; so let's go with a change back to GT3s for all the races.  We can include some GT4 racing in mid-season events perhaps.

 

I've chosen the tracks for the first 3 events, so could I ask @winky, @Yannik, @EuroVapeSim2, @texlex45 and @Erik to nominate a track for the other events.  Could you reply with the following:-

  • Chosen track.  You can see from the schedule above whether the race will be a Endurance (60 mins) or Sprint (2x25 mins).
  • Time of the race session(s).  Just specify this loosely if you want; i.e sunrise, sunset, daytime, evening, midnight etc.  I can work out the exact timings.
  • Base Conditions.  Specify one of the following:
    • Dry and Clear
    • Cloudy/Overcast
    • Light Rain
    • Heavy Rain
  • Variability.  Specify one of the following:-
    • None
    • Low
    • Medium
    • High

Thanks guys!  Let's get this nailed down over the next few weeks and then look forward to the multi-class endurance at the end of August.  As with previous seasons, if anyone can't make a specific event then I'm open to shifting the schedule around; although now lock-down restrictions are eased I anticipate more people will have to miss some events anyway.

 

EDIT: I'm aware that you guys haven't even said you can take part in the league or on the date I'm tagged you against; so feel free to swap with one of the others; or if you don't want to choose I can get someone else to pick :)

 

I've been thinking Zolder cloudy/overcast, medium variability. Is sunrise for one and sunset for the other sprint race a possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

that reminds me, anyone got any advice on improving frame rate stutters at sunset? I normally have the game silky smooth, but sunset seems to get little stuttery at times. It's normally not too much of a problem, but our last race at Nurbz pretty much turned into a near-unplayable slideshow for me on certain corners when the track was busy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2021 at 15:36, milko said:

that reminds me, anyone got any advice on improving frame rate stutters at sunset? I normally have the game silky smooth, but sunset seems to get little stuttery at times. It's normally not too much of a problem, but our last race at Nurbz pretty much turned into a near-unplayable slideshow for me on certain corners when the track was busy.

 

Enabling HLOD, lowering visibility distance and post processing have minor effects for me. Limiting framerate has by far the greatest effect in reducing screen freezes, the lower the better. For big races on some tracks I need to go as low as 35. It still stutters but I refuse to use 30 or lower. This calendar unfortunately includes Zolder in sunset which for me is the worst...

 

Looks like I will miss at least the first race, possibly 3. I'll be fishing during the season opener and for the other two I'll be practicing for enduros, unless I can clear time elsewhere!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Valver said:

@davejm are you still paying for the rllmuk practice server?  if you are, can we set it to Suzuka for some early GT3 practice?

 

if it's now lapsed and we're just going with simracing.gp for everything, that's cool.

 

Yep still got the server.  I was meaning to get it going for Suzuka sometime this weekend, so now is as good a time as any.  It's live now :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if any of you are seeing the emails I send out.  I've sent a couple about the Suzuka event, but @Valver noted that they were sent to his spam folder.

 

Anyway, I've changed the Suzuka event to GT3 only as we didn't have enough sign ups for a multi-class.   

 

Those that were in GT4s I've changed you into a GT3; but check your car and change if needed.

 

The event is an experimental sprint format featuring 1x15 minutes of qualifying and 2x30 minute races; with the qualifying result forming the grid for both races.  I'm not sure if the 2 shorter qualifying sessions has been well liked; so I'd like to go with this to see if its better (and perhaps vote on it after).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone's around tonight for some racing, I've signed up to the simgrid 8pm and 9pm races.

 

I might not make the 8pm one as I'm out earlier in the evening (in which case I'll unregister closer to the start time), but my time on holiday this week has given me a craving so I want to get in some racing before I go away again tomorrow :D

 

https://daily.thesimgrid.com/schedule/61

 

image.thumb.png.80c4cbfb4dd65e75c9041cb8a23a3a89.png

 

EDIT: Change of plan, and can't make either race :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, davejm said:

If anyone's around tonight for some racing, I've signed up to the simgrid 8pm and 9pm races.

 

I might not make the 8pm one as I'm out earlier in the evening (in which case I'll unregister closer to the start time), but my time on holiday this week has given me a craving so I want to get in some racing before I go away again tomorrow :D

 

https://daily.thesimgrid.com/schedule/61

 

image.thumb.png.80c4cbfb4dd65e75c9041cb8a23a3a89.png

 

 

Never mind, change of plan so I can't make either race now :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.