IGNORED

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance

davejm

For those of us with suitable Nvidia cards, the new Nvidia driver is bringing with it support for DLSS in ACC!    I think that means an ACC update via Steam will therefore be along very soon too. :omg:

I've been exceedingly impressed with DLSS in all the games Ive tried it in, so far.  This could provide some big frame rate increases - including for the VR users among us. 

In driver 496.76:

Game Ready - This new Game Ready Driver provides the best day-0 gaming experience for Battlefield 2042, which utilizes NVIDIA DLSS and maximize performance and NVIDIA Reflex to minimize latency. In addition, this new Game Ready Driver offers support for the latest new titles to leverage DLSS technology, including Assetto Corsa Competizione  (snip)

oho! I seem to remember reading Kunos saying not to expect major things from it, but I think I'll go ahead and expect major things anyway.  Feels like I'm more CPU-limited than GPU but still.

I watched my fastest lap replay at lunchtime. Nice driving, me! Can't say I stumbled upon any revelations about what I'm doing wrong, more's the pity. Incremental gains for the win.

32 minutes ago, davejm said:

DLSS support!   Didn't realise it was so close to being ready.  Do we know if DLSS generally runs with VR titles?

VR support got added in DLSS v2.1.  This update brings us to v2.3.4    It can work very well:

https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-dlss-virtual-reality-games-no-mans-sky-154453795.html

Often games ship with older versions of the DLSS .dll, but you can just overwrite the games dll with the latest Nvidia version and it magically just works (tm)

Guys just to let you know I can’t make this week, selling my car for something more practice for winter in the countryside, and more economical (a Corolla!)

Officially an old man more concerned with mpg than bhp :)

Edit : and right after I post that I get a call that it’s not going to happen until weekend so I will maybe turn up Thursday if I feel up to it.

Just looked up what DLSS is, full on hoping I can get more out of my crippling system...

NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is een revolutionaire technologie voor AI-rendering die gebruikmaakt van speciale Tensor Core AI-processoren op GeForce RTX™ GPU's die de grafische prestaties verhoogt. DLSS maakt gebruik van een deep learning neuraal netwerk om de framerates te verhogen en je games in prachtige, scherpe beelden weer te geven.

My GTX 1050 mobile has these special Tensor cores too, right?

Right?

33 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah.  I'd flog that 1070 while it has some value (likely to sell it for more than you paid) and then get an RTX card later when prices comes down.

Yeah I might do that. New PC is on the cards for 2022 so it'll be nice if I can add some to the budget that way.

ACC Dev:

In VR, most likely you'll see a somewhat softer image at a significant performance increase, unless you're already CPU-bound again due to the headset running at incredibly high resolution, which is mostly already a case with many who pair a high-end GPU to a mid-range CPU and expect miracles while trying to push 2 billion pixels through it.

Huh. He appears to be describing exactly me with that last bit. I don't really want the softer image bit so it'll depend on how much mileage is in 'somewhat'. I'm sure I don't have it tuned as nicely as it could be still.

53 minutes ago, milko said:

ACC Dev:

Huh. He appears to be describing exactly me with that last bit. I don't really want the softer image bit so it'll depend on how much mileage is in 'somewhat'. I'm sure I don't have it tuned as nicely as it could be still.

The game has pretty good temporal upscaling for VR already build in.  I run at 70% render resolution with 140% VR pixel density.  It gives a relatively sharp image for good performance (especially close to the car and around the cockpit).  It does suffer from blurring in the distance, so I use reshade to add sharpening which is better than the games sharpening options.

So the question becomes whether using DLSS is better than the temporal upscaling; which it should be.  Otherwise there'd be no point in implementing DLSS support in the first place.  So I don't expect to get higher framerates in VR, just better image quality through the use of the superior upscaling tech.

24 minutes ago, Kristian Svenning said:

Crap! Just found out that I have to work tomorrow…! All evening and potentially into the night…so the race is off for me. I’m gutted as I’ve laid down some serious practice time for tomorrow’s race 😞 

FFS

That's what you get for working in IT 😆 

Oh no, that's a real shame.  Was looking forward to you joining us.  But that's the way it goes sometimes I guess!!

1 hour ago, davejm said:

The game has pretty good temporal upscaling for VR already build in.  I run at 70% render resolution with 140% VR pixel density.  It gives a relatively sharp image for good performance (especially close to the car and around the cockpit).  It does suffer from blurring in the distance, so I use reshade to add sharpening which is better than the games sharpening options.

So the question becomes whether using DLSS is better than the temporal upscaling; which it should be.  Otherwise there'd be no point in implementing DLSS support in the first place.  So I don't expect to get higher framerates in VR, just better image quality through the use of the superior upscaling tech.

Yeah... it sounds like (I have been asking that dev about it all, carefully since he is quite grumpy), for the better image quality we'd need DLAA, not DLSS. Tell me more about reshade?

I actually think I'm probably limited for sharpness as much by the Quest 1 headset as anything, but I probably don't spend enough time investigating. I can't remember my render/density numbers but they're at least something close to yours, probably the same. So in theory with DLSS we could get a better framerate result with those same numbers and maybe tweaking them upwards will look a bit better. Not sure the actual visual result difference between TAA and DLSS will be significant, more the efficiency.

58 minutes ago, milko said:

Tell me more about reshade?

Well you can do stuff like this with it:

I use it to apply SMAA (not to be mistaken with MSAA) to my games, which gives me a better picture than FXAA (too jaggy), TAA (too blurry with artefacs) and KTAA (it's not quite right somehow). My system is nowhere powerful enough to give me the graphics in the above video though, but maybe yours does.

@Meers that looks pretty smart. I've seen it do that sort of thing with other games (GTA was maybe the first one, right?). What I was kinda going for but not being clear about is "is there an easy guide to making it make ACC look nice please" to save me having to put any effort in :)

1 minute ago, milko said:

What I was kinda going for but not being clear about is "is there an easy guide to making it make ACC look nice please" to save me having to put any effort in :)

Well no of course there's no easy guide - it's PC gaming! I found Reshade a bit fiddly to set up but that may have just been me. Dunno how @davejm experienced setting it up?

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

Well no of course there's no easy guide - it's PC gaming! I found Reshade a bit fiddly to set up but that may have just been me. Dunno how @davejm experienced setting it up?

Yeah, whenever I looked into it I stared down a rabbithole of switching from OculusVR to SteamVR to get OpenVR to get Reshade with every step a link to another set of files and version numbers and forum posts and I just end up closing the browser tabs :)

In quiet GT Sport weeks I’m playing the PS4 version of this on PS5 and actually getting quite a lot of fun out of it. Hopefully the January PS5 update delivers on its promise.

Is there/ Will there be cross play or shared leaderboards across consoles and PC? 
 I’d love to join in every so often

It's race day folks!  :)  Really looking forward to this one, the first race of the inaugural GT4 only season.

Be sure to register for the event if you haven't already! 

https://beta.simracing.gp/events/Rd9uh4VwGQVC5lSxfDKGp

vncviewer_P0bGChbu5k.png.a7af47872d0d4c7f263034a45339afd6.png

Managed to improve a bit last night, and have got my race fueled run times down a bit too.

Expecting some very close racing! :)

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Rollcall! 2.4 hours of Spa team Endurance