Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone

davejm

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Considering I'd never driven the track in any game ever until today, a 1:56.7 after getting up to speed with the layout isn't too shabby. New Merc feels good. 

I think it’s because you’re all driving easy cars :blah: ;). Good time, took me quite a few laps to get into 1:56s having initially been in the 1:58s.

I was thinking about racing on Thu but my internet is like a yoyo today so will have to see how it goes.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oooh, looks like most of the time to find for me is in the first sector, and maybe half a second in the final sector. 

Exactly the same for me, just can't seem to gel with the first sector even though I've watched tutorial videos and feel like I'm on the right parts of the track.

23 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Exactly the same for me, just can't seem to gel with the first sector even though I've watched tutorial videos and feel like I'm on the right parts of the track.

I'm trail braking the shit out of the first sector and still I'm 5th fastest there. It is very tricky not to make your car slide, or validate track limits there. I feel I can be faster around the hairpin, but I daren't go any faster. :ph34r:

Fastest in S3 though! :omg:

27 minutes ago, batistutauk said:

Have just done the G920 brake pedal mod - wonder if it will make much difference to lap times.....

I think it will improve your lap times. You can now brake with a constant force instead of a certain amount of travel. Feels more like a real car's brake pedal. Be prepared to spend a little time getting used to it, though.

5 minutes ago, milko said:

I realise this is a journey I must travel and everyone did blah blah blah but every time I try to go a tiny bit faster than my slow pace, the car spins/I overshoot the corner/waaaaaah

We can start a whole conversation about it on here, but the best thing would be if one of us would coach you on the track as a spectator (sort of a co-driver instructor) whilst you drive around. That way we can address your difficulties as they happen.

If you’re willing to plug away then you’ll improve, without a doubt. It’s perhaps a bit Swiss Tony, but I think that you really have to get to know your car and understand how it feels in different situations. This will help you predict what the car will do and also what to do to when it doesn’t do what you’d predicted. Getting to know the tracks is really important too - start by picking out braking points and go from there.

23 minutes ago, milko said:

Reckon I'll struggle for time (either weird times of day between work stints or quite late at night, so far) but I'd be up for giving it a try if the stars align. Meanwhile, plugging away.

I'd be up for helping out if we're online at the same time, SteamID is in a my sig.

You'll gain so much speed/laptime with corner discipline in this game, so braking in the right place, always making sure you're hitting the apex of the corner and being back on the throttle at the apex rather than after it.  It's a cliché but sometimes you really do need to slow down to go faster; everyone tends to go into corners too fast at first which then kills your speed into the next section.

Yeah I think my main thing is that if I try to be precise with braking points I tend to miss the apex, so I should just brake sooner and go through the corner in the proper angle while harmlessly cursing that I know it could be quicker. Until it is.

(PS: we are Steam chums already, apparently. I'm milko9000)

The thing is, that will definitely be quicker!  It'll feel wrong/slow at first, but your brain just needs to adjust to it.  You're always better off braking a bit too early at first, at least then that'll give you a baseline to push further when you're looking for extra tenths.

Ah, sound.  I'll be on tonight if you're around at any point.  Are you racing tomorrow?

29 minutes ago, milko said:

Yeah I think my main thing is that if I try to be precise with braking points I tend to miss the apex, so I should just brake sooner and go through the corner in the proper angle while harmlessly cursing that I know it could be quicker. Until it is.

(PS: we are Steam chums already, apparently. I'm milko9000)

Indeed, like @SharkyOB said, the general rule of cornering seems to be 'slow in = fast out'. There's no wrong in braking a bit earlier if that means you can hit the throttle earlier again. Ergo - you can win more time coming slow into a corner and fast out of it, than going fast into one and coming slow out of it.

Does ACC have a racing line assist? Then use that until you become consistent, then switch it off again and let muscle memory take over.

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

Does ACC have a racing line assist? Then use that until you become consistent, then switch it off again and let muscle memory take over.

Honestly Meers, I'd strongly advise anyone against doing this.  The problem with using these lines is that you aren't learning the track, you're learning to follow a line which changes colour when you need to brake etc.  Turn them off and you have to learn the track all over again by finding reference points around the track.

6 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Honestly Meers, I'd strongly advise anyone against doing this.  The problem with using these lines is that you aren't learning the track, you're learning to follow a line which changes colour when you need to brake etc.  Turn them off and you have to learn the track all over again by finding reference points around the track.

Don't get me wrong, I share your opinion but for people fresh to the game it might be handy to start off with... but not for too long indeed or it'll work against your track knowledge.

Just a few laps, Sharky. Just...a...few...lapsssss...

yeah, I've been flitting in and out of using the line assist - on Paul Ricard the set of late apex corners after the back straight are quite hard to do well without it, I'm always fighting the urge to turn in already. But that said, as of now I can lap pretty much the same times with or without it.

5 hours ago, milko said:

I realise this is a journey I must travel and everyone did blah blah blah but every time I try to go a tiny bit faster than my slow pace, the car spins/I overshoot the corner/waaaaaah

When I started sim racing I read this book and it was a great way to help understand what is going on when you drive a race car:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Secrets-Ross-Bentley-ebook/dp/B004NNUXZ2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=speed+secrets&qid=1607540408&sr=8-3

It was written in the 90s, so some info is very dated, and some minor details would actually be wrong or make you slower if you apply them to GT3 cars. But overall it's really great and the sections about traction, tyre slip, racing lines and mentality are awesome and applicable to any car.

image.png.6e3cdc2aeea706d9c51524f8ec49f818.png

Morning guys!  It's race day, this time we visit Circuit Paul Ricard for the opening sprint round.

Practice

• Time: 19:00 until 20:15 (75 minutes)

Qualification 1

• Time: 20:15 until 20:25 (10 minutes)

Race 1

• Time: 20:25 until 20:50 (25 minutes)
  • No mandatory pit stop
  • Start time (in-game): 15:00

Qualification 2

• Time: 20:55 until 21:05 (10 minutes)

Race 2

• Time: 21:05 until 20:30 (25 minutes)
  • No mandatory pit stop
  • Start time (in-game): 22:00

Conditions

• 8°C average ambient temperature
  • Moderate weather variation, potential rain

Practice Timings

image.png.c18517215ef44758229b2f384ff7425d.png

On 07/12/2020 at 11:47, davejm said:

Not sure if I'm going to race this week.  Unless something changes with work I won't be able to get on tonight or tomorrow, and Wednesdays are out for me anyway.  And I've never driven Paul Ricard so I don't know the circuit.  I might just join practice on the night and see how I get on, and if I can't get around the circuit well enough when qualifying starts I'll just spectate :)

but that's the fun way to race! Even if you're near the back it's still fun. My first lap around Imola was during the Thursday night practice session, no chance to properly learn the course, let alone mess with the setups but it was still good fun. Now, that was Imola and this is Paul Ricard so it might be a completely different situation but I'll find out tonight. You don't have to be  fighting at the top to have fun!

On 07/12/2020 at 16:05, milko said:

I feel compelled to say that my time in Dave's earlier table was an out lap while my viewpoint in VR was kind of 'in' the steering wheel, I pulled over and sorted it out to be in driver's head position and then had to end my session due to pesky family! I've knocked about 6 seconds off now I can see properly :)

Have any of you VR drivers got any general setup tips? I can't really get my steering position close enough to the desk to be useful in non-VR, which makes joining the server painful as I have to hop to the desk, blindly type in 'rllmuk' in the search and then hop back to actually select it - I wish it would remember last server or something. At least it remembers the password so I don't have to do it again for that anymore. Similarly if I want to go back to the Garage I have to get up and hit escape to get that menu, there's got to be a way to put that on the wheel I assume.

I'm using a Quest and finding the Link connection a bit flaky some days so that can frustrate too, dunno if it's my cable or the PC, it's not ACC at least but given all these faff issues it can take me so long to get into the driver's seat I'm already a bit frustrated before I start pushing lap times and spinning out.

I think I've got most of that config done now so hopefully I can concentrate a bit more on actually driving the thing. I have discovered I'm not yet ready for the 'aggressive' setup but I can consistently lap in what the game's rating system probably calls "fucking slowly" pace for a while at least on the safe preset :D

Yeah, the game really needs a favourite server list for those of us in VR. Always a pain in the arse. With regards to the Quest, I think @SneakyNinja had issues with it not lasting the whole 60 min race. I'm not sure if they managed to find a work around.

I was given the tip to bring the HUD all the way in and that helps greatly in VR. Being able to quickly check the map after a spin has massively improved track safety for me. On default settings it was so far over to the left that it was practically useless.

1 minute ago, SweatyTravolta said:

but that's the fun way to race! Even if you're near the back it's still fun. My first lap around Imola was during the Thursday night practice session, no chance to properly learn the course, let alone mess with the setups but it was still good fun. Now, that was Imola and this is Paul Ricard so it might be a completely different situation but I'll find out tonight. You don't have to be  fighting at the top to have fun!

Yeah, you're right... I'm definitely gonna be on tonight :)

Apparently there's some other game out today, but I'm all about our lovely league :wub:

I did my first competition server race last night and I won it!!  Qualified in second, was right behind the leader all the way to the mandatory pitstops (no refuelling, mandatory change of tyres), he pitted first and I was 10 seconds clear by the time I'd done my stop, so something obviously happened to him which I'll have to watch on the replay.  I was then being caught throughout the last stint but I think traffic, although it was a bit of an issue for me, may have been more of an issue for my pursuer as he only closed to about 7 secs, even though he seemed quite a bit faster.

Tyres seemed to really drop off during the first stint and I was struggling for grip before my stop.  I should've read the race description properly, as I have a feeling accelerated tyre wear was on.  Is that a thing in ACC though?  Not sure if I was just convincing myself that the tyres were gone.

I did notice that the track temp (crew chief is great for telling you about this stuff) was dropping, so my tyre pressures were too.  I adjusted the pressures for my new set before pitting and also used the manual stopping and starting of the engine so my stop was fast.  Both of which were probably factors in my win.

29 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I should've read the race description properly, as I have a feeling accelerated tyre wear was on.  Is that a thing in ACC though?  Not sure if I was just convincing myself that the tyres were gone.

There’s no accelerated tyre wear or fuel use. Nice with the win :D. What track?

1 minute ago, scoobysi said:

There’s no accelerated tyre wear or fuel use. Nice with the win :D. What track?

Ah, either purely psychological or down to the dropping temps/pressures then!!

Laguna Seca, used the setup I'd developed for our league race which was helpful.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone