Jump to content

Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone


davejm
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Erik said:

So many Astons and Porsches! Guys, I heard the light cars Alpine, KTM and Ginetta are great in the wet ;):D


but I was already committed for the season! Maybe next time, I nearly went for the Alpine already. @jonathanhoey you looked to be setting times that were worth joining the race too, come on in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really feel I don't know what I am doing yet. I have not had a single online race yet. And I haven't even completed a race against AI.

I don't want to ruin someone else's race!

 

Question time!

 

 I was using the dashboard because I though it gave more sense of speed, but I just have realized that with the cockpit one you can see how much you are breaking so I guess it is more useful? What view do you use?

 

By the way I have noticed that my real wheel does not match the angle of the cars one.

 

 

How can I fix that? It is not a TS but a TX with the open wheel attached. 

 

 

IMG_20210610_084539.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@daifuco set steering lock to 900 in game and it should automatically change the lock from car to car to match. Make sure its maxed in the Thrustmaster software.

 

I use cockpit view but I have disabled steering look and camera shake, and I usually move the camera a bit so that the in-game steering wheel is more behind physical wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, daifuco said:

I really feel I don't know what I am doing yet. I have not had a single online race yet. And I haven't even completed a race against AI.

I don't want to ruin someone else's race!

 

We've all been there and had frustrations that other people have caused us or we have caused other people. It's a super great bunch of people who are very forgiving and patient and I love that everyone will forgive my awful accidents tonight as I make a return.

 

I've also seen a lot of talk about an Oculus tray tool, is this a third party app?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I've also seen a lot of talk about an Oculus tray tool, is this a third party app?

 

Yep, you can get it here:

 

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/oculus-traytool-download.html

 

Really useful tool which allows you to get the most out of your headset and set up specific setup profiles for your games.

 

Welcome back man 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, daifuco said:

Question time!

 

 I was using the dashboard because I though it gave more sense of speed, but I just have realized that with the cockpit one you can see how much you are breaking so I guess it is more useful? What view do you use?

 

By the way I have noticed that my real wheel does not match the angle of the cars one.

 

Driver's view for me. Because that's what you see in a real car as well, and this is a sim, so... ;)

 

Maybe I can help a bit as well with your questions above.

 

First, make sure you have your Field of View set correctly. It makes all the difference in judging speed and distance properly. ACC uses vertical FoV, and you should be able to calculate yours with this helpful tool. Once done, it may look too narrow (especially on a single screen) but you'll get used to it soon enough.

 

Next is setting your custom view preferences. When you pause the game whilst driving, you can see the View Settings in the menu. From there, you can set the FoV you just calculated, as well as your seating height, pitch and distance* (ignore the lateral slider, it's useless).

 

Make sure you select the first-person view that allows you to switch off the driver's hands and steering wheel (Driver & Wheel OFF). There are 3 first-person views, and only 1 allows you to set driver & wheel off, see menu below - find out through trial-and-error. The in-game hands and wheel just distract you whilst racing, and you already have your own wheel in view so there's no need for the virtual one.

 

As a single screen user, I have the driver's head look into the apexes when I turn the car. It gives you a bit more peripheral vision to make up for the narrow FoV. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it definitely helps. In order to do so, I am using the following values:

 

Lock to horizon: 25%

Movement: 50%

Dashcam factor: 0%

Look with wheel: 50%

LWW gamma: 50%

LWW smooth: 50%

 

image.png.ea9c8717f59d6a594071c52844870fca.png

 

* Adjust your in-game seat so that from your PoV the wheel aligns with the dashboard as if you would see it in a real car. As you can see below, my wheel rim appears to sit in the exact same position in front of the in-game dashboard as it would be in a real car, from my own PoV. This can be achieved by setting the correct FoV, seating height and -distance and viewing pitch. Play around with it until you get the same alignment as the example below.

 

20200514_101121.thumb.jpg.0a794fc4ccc1f98ea7f0ec94680fa063.jpg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, milko said:


but I was already committed for the season! Maybe next time, I nearly went for the Alpine already. @jonathanhoey you looked to be setting times that were worth joining the race too, come on in!

 

He was in the GT3 :)  But yeah it'd be great to see you race with us again.  If you do fancy it then be sure to sign up with simracing.gp...

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to use the "correct" FoV but it restricts too much what I can see. For hairpins and battling with other cars I need to see more, so I went back from 43 degrees to 56. Its still very restrictive but better to have some fisheye effect than be blind... Many like look with turn, but as personal preference I have it turned off and have locked the camera. I can see small movements of the car better and that helps me to catch spins and drifts.

 

Like with wheels, sitting position and FFB, many of these camera settings can be very personal and I think its more important to not constantly change them than it is to chase best FoV or any other setting.

 

edit: actually looks like I should use 20 degrees in ACC. I would see the sky and road 100 m ahead :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, milko said:


but I was already committed for the season! Maybe next time, I nearly went for the Alpine already. @jonathanhoey you looked to be setting times that were worth joining the race too, come on in!


@davejm would be able to confirm but I think I was using a GT3 😆 (edited to add: yes he’s beaten me to it, above)

 

Last night for me was just more about trying to learn Silverstone, which I’ve somehow never really driven on. 

 

I usually can’t make it on Thursdays,  alas. Certainly not tonight, going out for my girlfriend’s birthday dinner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

Driver's view for me. Because that's what you see in a real car as well, and this is a sim, so... ;)

 

Maybe I can help a bit as well with your questions above.

 

...

Thanks for that amazing guide. Very interesting. Changed fov. I will try the auto look in the next days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, milko said:

@Erik as a fast driver who likes the BMW, are you entering the new time attack comp? https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/topics/bmw-sim-racing/bmw-sim-time-attack.html

 

I dont like the BMW. I just somehow ended up driving it. :D On this track I have trouble making it enter turns at all and I have to move brake bias 4 % more forward than what people use on youtube hotlaps or I lock the rears and around it goes. Understeers, slides and locks up rears, its a dog.

 

I suspect my quali times are at least a second off aliens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'll get there. Grid has lots of talent and I suspect I'm - for the time being - ahead only thanks to all the time spent turning practice laps. :)

 

I hope I can learn something from driving the BMW because its so different to Porsche and other cars I've driven before in ACC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Erik said:

many of these camera settings can be very personal

 

I didn't like the FoV I'm using now at first either. Too narrow indeed, as I was used to the more fisheye, sat on the rear seat kind of FoV. But after watching Empty Box' and Chris Haye's vids on the matter I decided to stick with it. Glad I did too, the science behind it is pretty spot on.

 

17 minutes ago, daifuco said:

Thanks for that amazing guide. Very interesting. Changed fov. I will try the auto look in the next days.

 

It's not an auto-look-to-apex, mind. The angle of head turn is determined by turning your wheel, in combination with the settings for sensitivity, acceleration, angle, etc. You can tailor it to what you think feels natural and comfortable.

 

Mine's really subtle and not disorienting at all. It only really turns when I take a 90° corner or more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Meers said:

I didn't like the FoV I'm using now at first either. Too narrow indeed, as I was used to the more fisheye, sat on the rear seat kind of FoV. But after watching Empty Box' and Chris Haye's vids on the matter I decided to stick with it. Glad I did too, the science behind it is pretty spot on.

 

IMHO it doesnt help if its too narrow. I see that your fov is 46 degrees. Thats plenty so it can work. If I used "correct" FoV I wouldnt be able to drive close to other cars at all and forget about trackside brake markers. I have a 24" 16:9 screen 85 cm away from eyes and I cant get it any closer as the base of the screen is already touching the wheelbase and I sit close to the wheel.

 

My 50" TV screen just about fits on the desk, but if I use it there'd be very little space left and I dont know if its low latency or no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Erik said:

 

IMHO it doesnt help if its too narrow. I see that your fov is 46 degrees. Thats plenty so it can work. If I used "correct" FoV I wouldnt be able to drive close to other cars at all and forget about trackside brake markers. I have a 24" 16:9 screen 85 cm away from eyes and I cant get it any closer as the base of the screen is already touching the wheelbase and I sit close to the wheel.

 

My 50" TV screen just about fits on the desk, but if I use it there'd be very little space left and I dont know if its low latency or no.

 

Yes, I have to admit that it only seems to work well if you have a big screen that sits close to you. I have a 55" HDTV that I mounted on the wall with a hinging bracket, which touches my wheel base.

 

20200517_143642.thumb.jpg.b4c84fd4f5c2f4f88adc5c8d0e3617cb.jpg

 

That's an old pic as I've since adjusted it so that the wheel base touches the screen. Distance from eyes to screen is 80cm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Erik said:

Heres my setup. Flight pedals against the wall stop the thrustmasters from sliding :D

 

1990521209_IMG_20210607_135555_122.thumb.jpg.87dd4086a5360591335884d754470762.jpg

 

Jimmy is looking at your setup from his roasting video. Is he trying to tell us something? 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, daifuco said:

Just a silly question about simracing.gp... To join the event... I just find the hash in the server browser within the game right? I guess the game is not launched from the website

correct.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SharkyOB, @extremepabs & @SweatyTravolta Make sure you register in time before practice starts at 19:00.  You won't able to join the server at all from that point on, it'll be too late once the event starts.  It's making me nervous that you haven't registered :D

 

EDIT: to be clear, once you're registered you can join the server when you like.  But if your name's not down when the event starts, there's no way in ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, davejm said:

EDIT: to be clear, once you're registered you can join the server when you like.  But if your name's not down when the event starts, there's no way in ;)

 

Does at least one of us have to be in the sever at 7pm to stop it from shutting down as a no show event 10 minutes later?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Valver said:

 

Does at least one of us have to be in the sever at 7pm to stop it from shutting down as a no show event 10 minutes later?

 

Yep, as I understand it you need at least 4 registrants for the event to start; and then 1 connected person within 10 minutes otherwise it shuts down.  I plan to always be on the server for when it starts each week, but if I can't make it for whatever reason I'll let you guys know in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.