Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone

davejm

Nice one @davejm

I can’t stand Monza as a track and I will lucky to get into the 1:51s. Got the day off on Friday but might miss the race as I can get some late evening fishing done,  will see how I feel later in the week.

Thanks to chatting with @Erik during Thursday practice - I had a call with a consultant from Finland and made some small talk about the weather at a meeting last Friday. 🙂

I did not think it was appropriate to discuss @SANtoOos nudity though 😛

For some reason also not inspired by Monza @winky, but never driven it in VR, so I'm sure that's gonna change my enjoyment of the track. One and a half hour there will be quite meditative, almost oval vibes. 

VR guys, not sure if you have this issue, but I stumbled on a life hack for the race starts. The way I have my overlays setup distance wise, the "car position/speed/green light" overlay is uncomfortably close to my virtual face, so my eyes find it really hard to focus on it (I know you can adjust the HUD position so it's farther back, but then I can't read the other stuff) On Thursday's race I accidentally/subconsciously closed one eye and it was much easier to lock on to it ;)

The way the weather is going this week, I'm afraid we'll have to address my nudity one more time :blush:

I like Monza. Its simple, fast, between and often under trees and traditional - except for the understandable tarmac off-track areas in Variante della Roggia and Parabolica. Easy to learn, very difficult to master. Then again I also like Red Bull Ring and Hungaroring so what do I know. :P

I decided to do a race online today for some Monza practice - it was not pleasant. Some one spun out on the straight up to Ascari and I got spun out and some minor damage although I believe the pile up behind was worse. I then had someone behind me demanding that I move - I was sticking to a racing line, no moving never, once squeezed him as he never got alongside. Got a torrent of abuse in chat (how do you type while driving?) then he proceeded to just bump me in the braking zone at the first chicane, and give me more abuse for being slow.

I honestly don’t think I did anything wrong, was not under blue flags,etc. Are public servers only open to people who can do 1:48 or faster? Think that’s the last time I will ever race online again.

1 hour ago, winky said:

I decided to do a race online today for some Monza practice - it was not pleasant. Some one spun out on the straight up to Ascari and I got spun out and some minor damage although I believe the pile up behind was worse. I then had someone behind me demanding that I move - I was sticking to a racing line, no moving never, once squeezed him as he never got alongside. Got a torrent of abuse in chat (how do you type while driving?) then he proceeded to just bump me in the braking zone at the first chicane, and give me more abuse for being slow.

I honestly don’t think I did anything wrong, was not under blue flags,etc. Are public servers only open to people who can do 1:48 or faster? Think that’s the last time I will ever race online again.

Some people just are like that. They think they are entitled to do whatever they do, including crashing people out for fun, just because they know which way next corner on the track goes and they stayed on the black stuff for 3 laps straight the previous week. And because the car ahead is slower, or thats what they think, of course. Had he been better than you he would have overtaken you cleanly as Monza is one of the easiest tracks to overtake at. Theres many reasons why that type of people can be found in public races, but rarely in organized and stewarded races.

Nature of the beast, unfortunately :(  That's quite extreme behaviour though.  Mostly, it's just the lack of basic race-craft and overly aggressive driving that plagues public lobby racing which ends up in crashes everywhere.  I've had some great public lobby races; but it's a lottery.  I delve into them from time to time (in the hope that I do get lucky) but then you can't trust anyone so I end up acting with extreme caution and lose loads of places.  It's hard to race if you don't trust.

These days, I keep my eye on the sim grid as they have races every hour.  It's not as immediate as public lobby as you have to register for the races (similar to simracing.gp) and the evening races tend to fill up; but the standards are higher.

https://daily.thesimgrid.com/

simracing.gp do nightly races too.

I will definitely not be able to join come Thursday due to packing up for our holiday that night. I've just unregistered from the event.

As said before, I will be back for league racing from September onward again.

9 minutes ago, Meers said:

I will definitely not be able to join come Thursday due to packing up for our holiday that night. I've just unregistered from the event.

As said before, I will be back for league racing from September onward again.

You'll be missed!  I hope you have a good break and wedding! :)  I'm going to be taking a break in the first two weeks of August as I'm away on hols; so after the Assetto Corsa Bremgarten race (which I'm going to treat more like a cruising session) that'll be it for a while.   I've done a lot of Monza practicing over the last few days and my knees and back are hurting; so I'm going to use the break to do some strength exercises and stretching.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

You'll be missed!  I hope you have a good break and wedding! :)

Thank you, Dave! I'm going to miss you guys and the racing as well. I hope they won't restrict everything again here in the NL after the recent rise in Corona infections over here, so that out wedding can go on as planned.

Edit: Have a nice hols period everyone!

Edited by Meers
Hasty posting

20 minutes ago, winky said:

Have a nice time m8, Looking forward to seeing you back.

I guess with the rise in COVID cases staying in NL was the smart decision.

Cheers mate.

Yeah we'll be going to a fairly quiet area, in a self-sufficient house in the dunes at the north-west shores of the country. Had it booked since last November so going abroad was not our plan anyway (not until the kids are out of the diapers). 🙂

On 15/07/2021 at 23:05, Meers said:

Well it looks like @EuroVapeSim2 suffered from latency, which caused him to glitch and hit @milko in the 2nd lap of race 2:

11 seconds in...

image.thumb.png.f51f2fec3cfc72727daae7618df931b4.png

These internet issues are really frustrating, unfortunately not the first time this season. Really sorry for taking you out @milko. I guess its the latency trying to guess where my car is that I flashed up on the right side of the track like that and then inside or beside you at the apex. I hit the inside curb and launched myself across the track into the gravel further up the hill and rejoined after a couple cars went through so I never even realised I caused you to crash as it didn't appear like that on my screen, but that doesn't change the fact I took you out.

I just did 30 minutes on the server using my phone data as a hotspot, it seems to be a more solid connection than my useless WiFi, I hope this makes the difference in the actual race session and these sort of situations don't persist.

10 hours ago, Meers said:

Thank you, Dave! I'm going to miss you guys and the racing as well. I hope they won't restrict everything again here in the NL after the recent rise in Corona infections over here, so that out wedding can go on as planned.

Edit: Have a nice hols period everyone!

I’m sure it will all go well, and all the best for the day.

We’ve all been looking forward to it once we found out where and when by some diligent hacking. So we just need to get Sharky’s tour bus up and running and we will all see you there ! I can taste the Amstel already !

12 hours ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

These internet issues are really frustrating, unfortunately not the first time this season. Really sorry for taking you out @milko. I guess its the latency trying to guess where my car is that I flashed up on the right side of the track like that and then inside or beside you at the apex.

That was definitely a packet loss issue. Which ISP did you have again (wasn't it KPN)? If it's your own subscription I'd give them a ring and ask if they can fix it. They're usually very willing if you threaten to go to the competitor. :eyebrows:

Tried getting some solid laps in last night but the computer crashed twice! Must be the heat? Worried about the race. I'll have another go and keep an eye on temps. I stress tested my CPU for a couple of hours recently and it wasn't going above 80C when at 100% so still plenty of margin. Maybe GPU... 

Luckily we've had someone fix our windows in the office yesterday (previously we couldn't open them) but it's still super hot. Maybe I'll take the side panel off the PC, do people do that? 

I'll try and join you for naked practice tonight  @mrben09 

Yeah, nope. I'm stuck in the 1:50s at the mo and to be honest, I'm not going to endure the mental stress of banging my head against it. I've plateaued and can't improve any more (my times now are no faster than the last time we raced here months ago)

Just going to enjoy the race.

31 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Tried getting some solid laps in last night but the computer crashed twice! Must be the heat? Worried about the race. I'll have another go and keep an eye on temps. I stress tested my CPU for a couple of hours recently and it wasn't going above 80C when at 100% so still plenty of margin. Maybe GPU... 

Luckily we've had someone fix our windows in the office yesterday (previously we couldn't open them) but it's still super hot. Maybe I'll take the side panel off the PC, do people do that? 

I'll try and join you for naked practice tonight  @mrben09 

In my experience it’s usually memory or power supply.

Can you try the computer with only one memory stick and identify if that’s the cause. You could also try running windows memory diagnostics to see if it throws up any memory problems.

Also you could remove any overclock on memory or your gfx  card to see if that helps?

Removing the cover should help a little with cooling in most cases but I don’t think 80C is not necessarily too hot (although probably hotter than I would like but then I have a nice 21C ambient room temp :P)

58 minutes ago, winky said:

In my experience it’s usually memory or power supply.

Can you try the computer with only one memory stick and identify if that’s the cause. You could also try running windows memory diagnostics to see if it throws up any memory problems.

Also you could remove any overclock on memory or your gfx  card to see if that helps?

Removing the cover should help a little with cooling in most cases but I don’t think 80C is not necessarily too hot (although probably hotter than I would like but then I have a nice 21C ambient room temp :P)

Thanks man, will have a look at all this later!

@SANtoOos, can you adjust the fan speeds with MSI Afterburner? If not, remove the cover and slap a laptop cooling pad against it on full power (I'm not even kidding - they cool like a bastard and are relatively cheap).

Just a wild idea, like.

4 hours ago, Meers said:

That was definitely a packet loss issue. Which ISP did you have again (wasn't it KPN)? If it's your own subscription I'd give them a ring and ask if they can fix it. They're usually very willing if you threaten to go to the competitor. :eyebrows:

I'll have to try that, threaten them with switching to Ziggo.

Will try to get on the practice server this evening to see how the phone connection continues to hold up.

@winky heres that McLaren setup. I tested it briefly and to be honest its probably not better or faster than what you now have, but it might be a bit easier to handle. :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QISXKe03AIvEjxfX31C1KBszYSgA32Mx/view?usp=sharing

@SharkyOB we did a Imola endurance race some time ago in the Nissan where I tried to make a setup that wouldnt die when touching kerbs. Try this, it handles very differently compared to aggressive preset and you might like it. I turned couple of laps to fix pressures for Monza and did a 1:48 with some mistakes and wrong pressures, so it should have potential for very fast laptimes. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wOrpbEVkFE_k_k_Ty3zHXcWFhC0s5k5a/view?usp=sharing

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone