Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone

davejm

With this in mind, what do you guys think about switching this to a sprint only league? 

If we're changing between cars it means people can duck out of individual races if they can't get on with one particular car/track combo; or if it's just a case that one race is a right off (due to lack of practice with the car) there's always the chance of the second race?

Is it only 8 of us in tonight's race? Sad. If someone is interested in watching a stream, I could test if I can stream without too great a performance loss.

Also looks like its starting an hour earlier than usual. Must be daylight savings.

4 minutes ago, Erik said:

Is it only 8 of us in tonight's race? Sad. If someone is interested in watching a stream, I could test if I can stream without too great a performance loss.

Also looks like its starting an hour earlier than usual. Must be daylight savings.

Yeah just 8 of us.

Ooof, thanks for the heads up on the event time.  Not sure if SGP website did this due to the change in clocks, but updated the event now as it was an hour early even for us in the UK.  So 19:00 now.

sorry to bail out early lads. Had a really fun start and pretty fine pace, then a combination of car weirdness, hardware weirdness (loose quick release, loose wheelstand!) and head weirdness (just had a bit of an intense day at work and really struggled to focus after a bit) kinda finished me off. Couldn't drive it properly on my own never mind mix it in traffic and risk taking one or more of you out. I'll be back!

35 minutes ago, milko said:

sorry to bail out early lads. Had a really fun start and pretty fine pace, then a combination of car weirdness, hardware weirdness (loose quick release, loose wheelstand!) and head weirdness (just had a bit of an intense day at work and really struggled to focus after a bit) kinda finished me off. Couldn't drive it properly on my own never mind mix it in traffic and risk taking one or more of you out. I'll be back!

Sorry you had a bad one.  I felt similar at the start and was really erratic (dropped back to last) so rather than risk cocking up someone else's race I did a 'splash and dash' for 1 litre right at the start just to get some clean air.  Was able to find some pace for a massive undercut on almost everyone; so I only had to pass @SneakyNinja on track for the podium.

I nearly bailed at one point as my right knee was hurting and at the end of my long stint the tyres were gone; and could barely keep it on track.  But felt OK again after a fresh set of boots.  I can't say I enjoyed this one, but it was satisfying to get third in the end.

Well done to everyone for another great season (not that I took part for a lot of it!)

1 minute ago, davejm said:

Haha those were basically just my highlights 😆 forgot I passed you on track too @Valver!

ach, it preserved my first lap march to third place as well, and then only one of the subsequent disasters 🙂

I feel like on the cusp of getting better again at this game but then i put in a race like today, and my bad ones are still really bad. 

35 minutes ago, milko said:

ach, it preserved my first lap march to third place as well, and then only one of the subsequent disasters 🙂

I feel like on the cusp of getting better again at this game but then i put in a race like today, and my bad ones are still really bad. 

I think I need to do more racing alongside the practice sessions, against AI or public lobbies/SGP races.  Still get in a flap too easily, and although I can race in one-on-one battles quite well these days, when we're all bunched up I'm all over the place.  Which isn't a surprise if I spend all my practice sessions just lapping!  

I wonder if hot, slidey conditions caught many a bit off guard. I was not expecting to be quite this fast. I had blistering in rear tyres, probably everyone did, and I had maxed out brake ducts and high wing setup to reduce sliding. New tyres were over a second quicker for me so the fastest strategy was probably to start with fuel for 45 min and swap tyres with pressure adjustments.

Dave had his fastest race laps in the 1:42s. You need to drop the sandbags earlier! 😉

8 hours ago, milko said:

Didnt you do a low 1:43 in practice, with fuel I presume? And you have shown hints of speed in previous races too, in quali and best race laptimes at least. Maybe you know what to do, but being in a race and cars around you distracts you a bit. I think you would benefit a lot from practicing just 30 min or so more before or day before race to build consistency.

1 minute ago, Erik said:

Didnt you do a low 1:43 in practice, with fuel I presume? And you have shown hints of speed in previous races too, in quali and best race laptimes at least. Maybe you know what to do, but being in a race and cars around you distracts you a bit. I think you would benefit a lot from practicing just 30 min or so more before or day before race to build consistency.

Yeah I did do that, and this season got a race win (no Erik or Luis at Hungary) and a second place amongst the results. Mostly my errors last night were while driving solo with no cars within 10s! But perhaps the mere fact I'm in a race is affecting me. More practice definitely would help but I can't easily find the time after family and work so it's a slow process. So long as it trends up I'm happy enough. 

12 hours ago, milko said:

I had quite a busy day too and I felt really tired just before the race. That mug of coffee did really help to get my concentration back (but not my pace, lol). I didn't make any big mistakes though and my race was pretty lonely but free of incidents. Then when @Valver had his last pitstop, I got back into the action trying to keep him behind me, in which I succeeded. 

Speaking of a loose wheelstand... my Wheelstand Pro V2, despite being really sturdy, still has a bit of wobble/flex when pushing or pulling the wheel. It's a bit distracting so I'm going to add a couple of shores to the base plate of the wheel and the floor plate of my rig, which hopefully makes it a bit more rigid. Got this Saturday to myself (reserve driver for RCI) so I'm going to be doing some DIYing on my rig. 😁

11 hours ago, davejm said:

I nearly bailed at one point as my right knee was hurting and at the end of my long stint the tyres were gone; and could barely keep it on track.

My (cybernetic) left knee started to hurt around 30mins into the race. I had moved my seat 1 notch forward during practice, which allowed me to press the brake pedal harder, but at the cost of more strain in my knee and thus more pain than I had when I sat slightly further back. So I stretched it on the long straight, which helped somewhat.

10 hours ago, Valver said:

I think this fits here!  3rd place - get in!! :lol:

image.thumb.png.07fb249241726602e01065128edc87a5.png

:lol: so very fitting!

10 hours ago, davejm said:

I think I need to do more racing alongside the practice sessions, against AI or public lobbies/SGP races. 

Same for me, I need more 'real' racing experience in ACC as I'm almost always TT'ing in this game.

After the race last night, I spent some time tuning my wheel with FanaLab (recommended!) and managed to get a much better feel out of it (more and tighter damping). Then I did an online race and did pretty well (qualified 8th and finished 5th out of 28 drivers - with pretty clean driving too) so I realised I'm not completely shit (you guys really are much faster than you think you are). 😁

12 hours ago, davejm said:

Final standings... congrats @Erik!! :)  And congrats to @SneakyNinja for finishing best of the rest!

image.thumb.png.89228c2ce3026833a6bb1763f0dc178e.png

Huh? Second? Blimey.

Congratulations to @Erik - a very well deserved win. We all know my 2nd place is only down to the fact I took part in all the races and not raw speed - but to echo @Valver's sentiments, I'll take it!

I always set my car up to be predictable and I can't remember the last time I 'lost it' in a race (ignoring the Paul Ricard 'incident')  - but that does mean I'm obviously not getting the most speed out of it. In order to reduce my frustrations at my lack of progress I don't do endless TT practicing either any more, because a) I get really grumpy and annoyed at the fact I can't improve and match you faster guys, and b) racing is completely different in terms of mindset and car handing priorities.

Erik's recent comment about being in that situation before, and improvement really being down to focusing on the basics really struck a chord with me; so I'm trying to do that, and doing a kind of 'mindfulness for racing' approach where I focus on a particular corner and notice how it felt when it was faster, what I did differently etc.

All a bit hippy-zen, but it keeps me away from the cycle of practice-too slow-get the arse-over drive-go slower-Kermit arms & strop off.

35 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I always set my car up to be predictable and I can't remember the last time I 'lost it' in a race (ignoring the Paul Ricard 'incident')  - but that does mean I'm obviously not getting the most speed out of it.

Hey, safe isnt necessarily slow. If the car is safe and predictable enough that you can push hard in it, in my opinion one probably ends up faster than in a theoretically faster but more loose and nervous setup. For this race my setup was also very safe: car was quite high, near max rear wing and so understeery that unlike the rest of you I needed to use 2nd gear to get around Piratella - the off-camber left hand corner before Acqua Minerale.

Alien setups tend to be loose because for their car control skills they are stable and safe enough. For extreme example see Tortellini's Porsche hotlaps: he does minimal steering inputs and the car turns mostly by throttle and brake inputs. Very fun, very efficient, very fast, but also extremely difficult to drive. But even he uses safe setups in races.

7 minutes ago, Erik said:

Hey, safe isnt necessarily slow. If the car is safe and predictable enough that you can push hard in it, in my opinion one probably ends up faster than in a theoretically faster but more loose and nervous setup. For this race my setup was also very safe: car was quite high, near max rear wing and so understeery that unlike the rest of you I needed to use 2nd gear to get around Piratella - the off-camber left hand corner before Acqua Minerale.

Alien setups tend to be loose because for their car control skills they are stable and safe enough. For extreme example see Tortellini's Porsche hotlaps: he does minimal steering inputs and the car turns mostly by throttle and brake inputs. Very fun, very efficient, very fast, but also extremely difficult to drive. But even he uses safe setups in races.

Excellent insights as ever Erik, thank you.

21 hours ago, davejm said:

Well that's around half the roster in favour, so let's do it.

You guys choose the cars.  Just shout a track/car combo (one each, first come first served)...

image.png.115d7c1327b0c583488e1374f5843036.png

21 hours ago, davejm said:

With this in mind, what do you guys think about switching this to a sprint only league

If we're changing between cars it means people can duck out of individual races if they can't get on with one particular car/track combo; or if it's just a case that one race is a right off (due to lack of practice with the car) there's always the chance of the second race?

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

All a bit hippy-zen, but it keeps me away from the cycle of practice-too slow-get the arse-over drive-go slower-Kermit arms & strop off.

huh.gif

29 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Excellent insights as ever Erik, thank you.

I'm learning a lot from him and the other guys' insights over in the Prime Motorsport Discord.

I yet have to bring it into practice, though. 😅

I think if we're making this a "lighter" season then sprint races makes sense.

Can I nominate GT4 Alpines for Brands Hatch? I really don't mind though, for me this idea of different cars was a chance to use cars that we probably wouldn't often choose for a whole season, but I'm aware that people might not be wanting to get annoyed by the less-good ones. E.g. I'm tempted to say we should go Maserati somewhere but I bet the lack of ABS and so on would be perhaps taking things too far.

2 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Erik's recent comment about being in that situation before, and improvement really being down to focusing on the basics really struck a chord with me; so I'm trying to do that, and doing a kind of 'mindfulness for racing' approach where I focus on a particular corner and notice how it felt when it was faster, what I did differently etc.

I may have to try this approach as well, I was getting really frustrated during the week trying to practice and ended up rage quitting once because it was lap after lap of pain, I noticed the few times my qualifying was strong my lap feels almost slow. 

15 hours ago, milko said:

sorry to bail out early lads. Had a really fun start and pretty fine pace

That dammed final chicane, it caught me out a few times during the race, it was really unfortunate it happened to you so early in the race. I felt like we had similar pace and a good battle on our hands.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone